View Full Version : Preparing for a long journey

Sung-Hwan
12-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Q: Who are you?
http://lennyyoo.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/34/ full biography

Q2: Where are you from?
I primarily operate on http://myanimelist.net/profile/Sung-Hwan

Q3: Why are you here?
To further my Japanese interests, I decided to take up Final Fantasy. I originally intended to branch out entirely towards visual novels after my anime count peaked at 400. My sudden fascination with the Shin Megami Tensei games would make me rethink that decision, and I decided to also look into Final Fantasy. I beat III on the DS many years ago, but had no exposure to any of the games since then. My goal is essentially to play every Final Fantasy game that exists, and I have all the means to access every game, but my Playstation 3 may be lost at the end of this month due to poor circumstances. As a result, I am currently barreling through the XIII games, which would make them my first "real" experience with this franchise.

Despite being a person who mostly prefers isolation, I thought it would be nice to periodically talk to Final Fantasy fans, given the series popularity. So hello to all, and I hope everything turns out well over time.

Mirage
12-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Every Final Fantasy, huh? Don't think we'll let you off easily around here. I look forwards to your story playthrough of FFXI :p

Welcome, and good luck!

-edit-
you won't need a PS3 to complete them all, because the FF13 trilogy will eventually all be available on Steam.

Sung-Hwan
12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Every Final Fantasy, huh? Don't think we'll let you off easily around here. I look forwards to your story playthrough of FFXI :p

Welcome, and good luck!

-edit-
you won't need a PS3 to complete them all, because the FF13 trilogy will eventually all be available on Steam.
Not too sure about 11. Whether you can't play it at all or play alone like the now defunct Resident Evil Outbreak games...

I do not have my PC where I am now. I have a semi-functional laptop that won't be able to play the XIII games to their fullest. It's also why I'm sort of upset about emulation performance on XII, since it's supposedly one of the best games.

Mirage
12-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Emulation performance is great for ff12. It runs on weaker pcs than many other ps2 games, such as for example persona 4 and zone of the enders 2. If we're lucky.2 there will be a hd port of 12 before you get to that game anyway :p.

As for ff11, it is a multi player game, but the old story content can be done solo now. The combat dynamics are designed to be the most interesting when playing with others, though, so playing alone all the time might get a bit boring.

Aulayna
12-10-2014, 01:43 AM
Heya, welcome. :) XII is pretty emulatable but does have some issues with certain emulators and you may have to tinker with the settings a bit too. Though I have no idea what specs your laptop has so. ^^

Mirage
12-10-2014, 03:27 AM
All i know is that it emulated at full speed in 1080p on a 2.6 GHz Core 2 Quad and an 8800GT back when I had that :p. A reasonably recent laptop should be able to do it, as long as it has "proper" graphics. A 2.5 GHz i5 would run circles around that old 2.6 C2Q.

Psychotic
12-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Hello Sung-Hwan! Welcome to our forum!

Mirage
12-11-2014, 01:17 AM
So, are you Korean or something?

Vyk
12-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Most of the more powerful emulators are designed for nVidia cards and need some serious tinkering to get anything worthwhile out of an AMD rig (like my laptop >.>). Just sayin'

Also you have my condolences that you started your journey on FFXIII. Hopefully it's a better experience for you without anything to compare it to. But I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as an individual anyway, let alone as part of a series. But even if you do enjoy it, at least you'll have the most controversial entry out of the way

Also, welcome aboard. This is probably one of the best places to make a home while playing through the series. We don't really fawn over the series, but people have played them so much they can answer most questions just by memory if you get stuck. And there's plenty of other things to do and talk about here, so it doesn't really get stale if you get burned out on the series

I haven't legitimately played a FF game in years, and I still love the people and conversations around here

CAST VOX
12-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Q: Who are you?
http://lennyyoo.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/34/ full biography

Q2: Where are you from?
I primarily operate on http://myanimelist.net/profile/Sung-Hwan

Q3: Why are you here?
To further my Japanese interests, I decided to take up Final Fantasy. I originally intended to branch out entirely towards visual novels after my anime count peaked at 400. My sudden fascination with the Shin Megami Tensei games would make me rethink that decision, and I decided to also look into Final Fantasy. I beat III on the DS many years ago, but had no exposure to any of the games since then. My goal is essentially to play every Final Fantasy game that exists, and I have all the means to access every game, but my Playstation 3 may be lost at the end of this month due to poor circumstances. As a result, I am currently barreling through the XIII games, which would make them my first "real" experience with this franchise.

Despite being a person who mostly prefers isolation, I thought it would be nice to periodically talk to Final Fantasy fans, given the series popularity. So hello to all, and I hope everything turns out well over time.
Nice to meet'ya. I do think it's strange to look to Final Fantasy for furthering your Japanese interests. Much of the series especially FFVII and every game before it are rather western in tone and content.

I imagine most the early games are easy to come across. Instead of playing the first two games in their original format may I suggest Dawn of Souls for the GBA? It pretty much improved on every aspect of the original two. I assume since you've played III for the DS you'd be open to playing IV's DS re-release?

The first two games in the series can be beaten in about a day or two. FFVII and Tactics are my suggestions if you're looking for a game that's both long and rewarding. Tactics has challenging gameplay, an especially well-written story, and a rather active modding community.

Stick around.