PDA

View Full Version : Musicals

Night Fury
12-09-2014, 04:53 AM
One of my Christmas school break traditions when I was younger was to watch all the movies that they'd show on the television. Mum and I especially loved the old musicals that would be on!

Some of my favourite musicals get shown like every year around Christmas! Bugsy Malone, There's No Business Like Show Business, Gentleman Prefer Blondes, Gypsy, and Calamity Jane. I definitely like the musicals that are have lots of burlesque themes in them - which is why I love Gypsy and Calamity Jane! The costumes!!!! :love::love:

Yes, they're dated and pretty sexist but I love them. Amazing. I'm really not a fan of Sound of Music though, urgh.

sA_0cvd1EUM
For god's sake who can resist mini Jodie Foster!

I might have to grab all of these and have a big binge watch some day soon!

What are some of your favourite musicals?

chionos
12-09-2014, 05:06 AM
I don't like musicals. (Don't worry, though, I'm not here to shit on the thread)

There are a few exceptions though. Wizard of Oz and My Fair Lady specifically. My mom and grandma love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, so I saw that many times growing up, and I don't hate it. I like a couple of the songs from The Sound of Music. Oh, and Mary Poppins.

Colonel Angus
12-09-2014, 05:14 AM
I'm not a huge musical guy. I do like Parker & Stone's musicals, especially South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. I saw Book of Mormon a couple of years back & it was alright. Cannibal: the Musical is highly underrated.

My mom talks about Bugsy Malone every once in a while, mostly lamenting on the fact they never show it here, nor is it available on DVD.

Shorty
12-09-2014, 06:36 AM
At this very moment I am writing out my experience of attending a live Les Mis performance! :jess:

I love musicals. They were a regular fixture in my home growing up between my own home and time with my cousins and my grandmother. Brigadoon, Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls, West Side Story, Camelot, The King and I, My Fair Lady. More popular ones like The Wizard of Oz and Little Shop of Horrors, Newsies, and Oliver!, The Sound of Music obvsly. Some like Jekyll and Hyde, Aida and Les Mis we never saw, but had the soundtracks in our home and my sisters and I knew all the words to them anyway without having seen them. Lately I've been super fixated on listening to the Aida soundtrack over and over; I can't get enough of it.

I love the dated ones the best. I'm not sure I could ever pick a favorite. And also, I'm not a super huge fan of "modern musicals", but Repo! the Genetic Opera is a super huge guilty pleasure of mine because I know it is bad and horrible but I can't stop loving it ;-; and also I have a thing for terrance zdunich

Bubba
12-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I love you, Shorty :)

I still need to get MissH to watch this at some point as she'd love it. I also love Oliver! as the soundtrack by Lionel Bart is amazing.

Bugsy Malone is one of my favourites too. It makes me want to learn piano. Paul Williams is a genius.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I really want to see Michael C Hall in the role, but I'm not close enough to see the show.

uIaFn5lsLd8

Pike
12-09-2014, 10:28 AM
I gotta go with the classics. The Sound of Music. Fiddler on the Roof. The King and I. Good stuff.

Electroshock Therapy
01-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I'm not a fan of musicals, but I love Sweeney Todd and the older Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Ayen
01-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Sweeney Todd. The stage production, not the movie. The movie was okay, but the stage production with what's his face as Sweeney Todd was amazing.

Fox
01-07-2015, 09:57 PM
If you think you're not a fan of musicals, I recommend you check out Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. Starring Neil Patrick Harris! Nathan Fillion! Joss Whedon, creator of Firefly and director of The Avengers!

I like musicals a lot. Not so much film musicals for the most part (Disney notwithstanding), but stage shows. I recently, finally went to go and see Wicked, which was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever seen. I'm going to go see The Book of Mormon and Matilda this year as well.

Electroshock Therapy
01-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Sweeney Todd. The stage production, not the movie. The movie was okay, but the stage production with what's his face as Sweeney Todd was amazing.

I like the stage version, too. George Hearne is the Sweeney in the 1982 stage release. I like how it's generally brighter and plays out more like a dark comedy. But I also like the moodier film version, too. They're so different, yet the same. I kinda like that.

Freya
01-07-2015, 10:06 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/d3b0b2d70d4325df0a0872f1c361ad62/tumblr_mvhotr2mt41slg874o1_500.gif

I love musicals. I actually love Rock of ages for the soundtrack haha. I need to see into the woods as well.

Psychotic
01-07-2015, 10:07 PM
If you think you're not a fan of musicals, I recommend you check out Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. Starring Neil Patrick Harris! Nathan Fillion! Joss Whedon, creator of Firefly and director of The Avengers!

I like musicals a lot. Not so much film musicals for the most part (Disney notwithstanding), but stage shows. I recently, finally went to go and see Wicked, which was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever seen. I'm going to go see The Book of Mormon and Matilda this year as well.God damn right, Doctor Horrible is amazing.

I saw Book of Mormon (I assume you're going in London) for my birthday this year and it was a thing of fucking beauty. Absolutely had me crying.

Also I think most of EoFF knows how much in love I am with Les Mis.

Colonel Angus
01-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Psycho, in The Book of Mormon, do you think the 2nd Act was much better than the first?

Karifean
01-08-2015, 12:30 AM
The Once musical did the movie justice.

Ayen
01-08-2015, 12:40 AM

I like the stage version, too. George Hearne is the Sweeney in the 1982 stage release. I like how it's generally brighter and plays out more like a dark comedy. But I also like the moodier film version, too. They're so different, yet the same. I kinda like that.

George just puts so much more emotion into the role than Johnny it's not even a contest. I do like the way Johnny says "I want you bleeders!" better, though.

Electroshock Therapy
01-08-2015, 01:39 AM

George just puts so much more emotion into the role than Johnny it's not even a contest. I do like the way Johnny says "I want you bleeders!" better, though.

George Hearne was great! I loved his portrayal of Sweeney because he could actually have fun and laugh! But... something in Depp's performance seemed more villainous. I know the musical is suppose to make Sweeney a complicated person, and even sympathetic. But Sweeney Todd is a classic English villain. Even if he's a little cliche, I really like him.

I have the book version of the old Sweeney Todd stories that came out in a mid-1800's periodical, and I've seen an old film loosely based off those stories, and Sweeney was a very mean character. The original was supposed to be an unsettling tale, after all, about a cruel and greedy man who killed people to steal their riches. Then his accomplice would bake their remains into pies. (There's more to this story, but in my opinion, much of it is rather dull, and the best parts happen around Sweeney's pitifully short role.) The character was abusive and conniving to get what he wants. While Depp's version is still based of the sympathetic character of the musical, he seems to also channel that outward darkness of the classic character.

So I think the reason I prefer the movie is that it's the best of both worlds: it has the script of the comedic yet tragic modern play, and the cruel and melancholy atmosphere of the older story.

Ayen
01-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Huh, never knew all that. Of course it's based off a book.

I need to take up reading again.

Cleric
01-08-2015, 02:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of musicals although Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies of all time. A few people have mentioned Sweeney Todd which is absolutely amazing...and of course Dancer in the Dark because I love everything that includes Bjork. Other than that I will pass on them.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-08-2015, 05:02 AM
I love musicals, but I've honestly not had much experience actually watching them. I was in them in high school and a couple of years afterwards. Fiddler on the Roof and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers are my favorites that I've acted in. They were just a ton of fun. The Music Man, on the other hand, I hate with a passion. It's probably a fun enough musical to watch, but it wasn't fun to be in. That might be the directors' fault though. I do think it would have been a ton of fun to be Harold Hill, and I also would have settled for the barbershop quartet. I've never gotten to be a lead character though:cry:. Beauty in the Beast was weird in that I really enjoyed actually being in it.... but there were a lot of bad memories during rehearsals.

Les Miserables is my favorite that I've seen though, and it is a life goal of mine to perform in a production of it. I think I'd make a pretty good Javert honestly. Enjolras would be a ton of fun to play too.