PDA

View Full Version : Typos and The Internet

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I really can't stand it when I encounter typos and/or improper english while reading. I have an instinctive need to correct it...I don't know why I'm this way. Verbe tense disagreement is particularly irritating to me.

In the age of the Internet, this becomes something akin to a debilitating illness, since people could give two smurfs about their english when they post online, and many people are typing on a phone, where (once more) two smurfs could, could be given.

How bout you? Do typos/grammar/ending a sentence with a preposition get on your nerves? Are you careful when you type to use proper english?

Aaaand go.

Night Fury
12-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Funny you make a post about typos and you made one. :p

No, they don't bother me. People should be allowed to write however they like. Unless it's in articles, there is nothing more infuriating to me than a 'serious' news site taking on staff who can't spell well.

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 01:56 PM

God damn it.

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure this is so much OCD as just being anal retentive...

Aren't those the same thing?

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure this is so much OCD as just being anal retentive...

Aren't those the same thing?

No.

Why not?

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 02:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness

One seems to be an archaic (Freudian) term for the other...

Psychotic
12-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Thread title is now typos and the internet, let's get back on track and talk about the topic at hand. Thank you!

Fuzakeru
12-10-2014, 09:29 PM
I become overwhelmingly annoyed when I post something with a typo in it - especially if it is on Facebook or Twitter.

I don't really care is others have simple typos or grammatical errors as l0ng as it ai'nt liek dis.

escobert
12-10-2014, 09:36 PM
typos don't bug me since I make them all the time. But, knowing your there, their and they're, two, to and too and stuff like are essential.

chionos
12-11-2014, 12:13 AM

More than one. ;)

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/607/

Ending a sentence with a preposition isn't always wrong. It can be, but that's not always the case. Fact: It's not actually an English rule but a form of linguistic fetishism resulting from remnants of Latin structure influencing certain kinds of stuck-up grammarians.

Also, English should be capitalized, even as an adjective.

Certain things are irksome, but in most contexts they're also easy to ignore. It's really only serious articles with spelling or grammar mistakes (not just typos) that bug me. I let myself slack off in forums and such, though that wasn't always the case.

Calliope
12-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Why does anyone smurfing care? Typing errors happen. People are not born knowing how to spell every word in the world, nor should they be expected to. It bothers me much more when people make a big deal about "improper English", whether it is the mispronunciation/incorrect spelling/adopting new uses of language. The majority of my friends are lawyers, librarians and English majors, and they loooooove to snarkily correct people's tiny little errors - the next time I see this happening IRL, I'm going to yell at the lot of them. It may not be my preference how something is phrased, but people should be listened to for what they are saying, not put down because their language is not technically perfect. Also, if you're anything like me, you'll just automatically correct any errors as you are reading them - lucky for some.

Shorty
12-11-2014, 12:30 AM
It bugs me when people point out typos in something not in a professional instance, or between private letters or emails of correspondence or something like that. Someone did this to me once in a private correspondence at work in a particularly snarky and rude way, and I lost all respect for them for it.

I think that typos in a professional situation are pretty unacceptable, but other than that, human beings err, and so do the contemporary technology devices many of us post on these days.

Sephex
12-11-2014, 12:39 AM
y eah i ocashion aly make sum typos .

No one did that, so I got it out of the way. I try my best and correct if I spot my own mistakes (if I am able to edit things). I don't go nuts if I see a minor error with other people, though. I just can't stand it when it is clear that the person typing things doesn't even try. It's not about doing things correctly for me, but blatant laziness.

EDIT: At work it really gets my goat. Again, not anything minor. However, there is an employee that types emails in TEXT SPEAK and no one calls this person out. I have no idea why this is allowed to happen, especially since the company has grown significantly in the past years and is starting policies that are typical in the average workplace.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-11-2014, 12:52 AM
As someone with a degree in teaching high school English, I don't care one bit if people make typing errors. Mistakes are going to happen to everyone. Sometimes people will say "their" instead of "they're". Sometimes people will mispell a word. Sometimes people will will have repeated words in their sentences. Why does it matter?

It's not like people have their own personal editors to comb through everything they type. What you're going to get in informal writing through forum posts, facebook posts, emails, etc is essentially the same as rough draft writing. When writing a first draft of a paper or something, you need to have time away from that writing to separate yourself enough from it in order to read it with a more impartial eye. Otherwise, your mind knows what the writing is supposed to look like, so it's extremely easy to overlook things.

Long story short, typing mistakes don't matter to me, and it's pretty rude to try to invalidate someone's ideas because they made a grammatical mistake.

Edit: Stuff like text speak is a different story though. It annoys the heck out of me if people intentionally type something in a way that it becomes a chore to try to comprehend what they are trying to say.

Spooniest
12-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Something occurred to me the other day...my mom uses the phrase "BTW" in her audible conversation, even though saying "by the way" is fewer syllables...? I wonder what verbal tics I've picked up from chatspeak...

Anyway, it was never my intention to suggest bringing it up to someone. I'm just saying when you're reasonably aware of things like punctuation, verb tense and things like that, it can become irritating to oneself, personally, to see them. I don't jump to making value judgements about it and bringing it up unless it's something really really bad, like, "it makes it hard to comprehend what they're saying" bad. That's on a whole different level. Damn, EoFF. You scary...

10 WORKAHOLIC
20 WRITER
30 GOTO 10

The ending sentences with prepositions thing was a joke...I barely know what they are.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-11-2014, 01:48 AM
I should say that the bit I wrote about bringing up the mistakes in other people's writing wasn't aimed at anyone here. It's just something that always bugs me when I see it elsewhere.

Pike
12-11-2014, 01:53 AM
Typos don't bother me. Nor do most spelling or grammar errors. I make mistakes all the time myself and I write for a living.

Related note: people who get all up in arms about the proper use of the word "literally" grind my gears considerably more than the actual misuse of the word does.

:gator: I don't know, I guess I just don't care.

escobert
12-11-2014, 04:12 AM
It's not like people have their own personal editors to comb through everything they type.

Yes they do, it's called proof reading before you click that little submit button :D I had three typos in that sentence I fixed before I clicked that little button!

Shiny
12-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Its pretty bad when people hav typoes and bad grammer on the intranet.

blackmage_nuke
12-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Typing with improper spelling or grammar doesnt bother me in a casual chat or forum online the same way that speaking with improper pronunciation doesnt bother me in a real life conversation as long as I can understand what you're saying.

intranet.

I can't tell how many layers of joke this is.

Kalevala
12-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Speaking of typos at work...

krissy
12-12-2014, 03:52 AM
I really can't stand it when I encounter typos and/or (unclear, pick one) improper English while reading. I have an instinctive need to correct it... (space after ellipsis) I don't know why I'm this way. Verbe tense disagreement is particularly irritating to me.

In the age of the Internet, this becomes something akin to a debilitating illness, since people could (do you mean couldn't) give two smurfs about their English when they post online, and many people are typing on a phone, where (once more) two smurfs could, could be given (run on sentence, revise).

How about you? Do typos/grammar/ending (use commas for lists) a sentence with a preposition get on your nerves? Are you careful when you type to use proper english?

Aaaand go.

87%
COME SEE ME AFTER CLASS

Ayen
12-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Typos only bug me when the person is in the process of correcting my grammar. Otherwise, I don't care. I actually get a pretty good laugh when proofing my own work and seeing all the mistakes I made.

Pumpkin
12-14-2014, 06:32 AM
If I dislike the person it bothers me, if I don't then it doesn't :monster:

Like my ex or sharky's ex typing how r u can go suck a cow

My friend typing it is like "eh, we're not in class and I know she knows how to spell you"

I am ~*~BIASED~*~ in my judgements of others

Dat Matt
12-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Pretty much everything that i post on the internet contains a typo or incorrect grammar. This is even worse when I'm on my phone.

I never use text speech though. Really annoys me when people use letters like U and R to make words like You and Are.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Correcting trivial spelling mistakes on the internet always comes off as a desire to be 'wittier than thou' as opposed to actually caring about grammar, and that's why it's annoying to people.

Dat Matt
12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
A saw a post on facebook that the Date format is sequential for the last time in our lives. 12/13/2014 will be the last time we see dates in this order. Of course this doesn't apply for us brits who do the more sensible format of DDMMYYYY, smallest at the left, largest at the right and all.

She responded "And yeah I know how to Wright the date in this country".

I WANNA FIX IT

http://38.media.tumblr.com/b12e32f443fccb8ccad9ee81f8a4c68c/tumblr_natee7ylvo1ruxvz1o1_500.gif

Pumpkin
12-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah I hate the MMDDYY thing. It confuses me to no end, since they use it here all the time and I'm used to DDMMYY.

Especially when I see a date like 06/07/14

I'm like "July 6th or June 7th?!?!?!?!!?"

I still date my paperwork DDMMYY though. Take that American paperwork :smug:

Sephex
12-15-2014, 03:34 AM
>MFW amerifats calls poppy-bang-kill-tubes guns

http://i.imgur.com/x7cSZqP.gif

Bubba
12-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I'm like shion. It bothers me more when it's someone I don't like.

Typos shouldn't bother anyone really as it's just a mistake. Bad grammar though does get on my nerves. I've been guilty of it myself in the past so I suppose it is a little hypocritical. There really is no excuse for getting there/their/they're/to/too/two wrong. Also, its inexcusable to get its and it's wrong and people should be condemned for that to.

Jessweeee♪
12-15-2014, 02:36 PM
I used to care because "I hate stupid people" but I've since embraced that I am one of them and now when I type I just let things flow in the stupid way that I would speak. I'm a much happier person :roll:

MissH
12-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Sometimes it bothers me- depends what mood I'm in. Being a teacher I'm used to correcting mistakes (granted from small children). I try not to judge people too much on their mistakes, my ex was very dyslexic and I used to have to read his texts outloud to try and decode what he said as he wrote everything phonectically.

Saying that, I can't stand it when I'm speaking to someone and they say 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically'. ARGHHHH!!! :mad2:

fire_of_avalon
12-15-2014, 05:18 PM
I post from my phone more often than not nowadays and don't usually read my posts before submission. This results in sometimes hilarious typos. And I love them. And intentional bad grammar makes me laugh.

So ni, I am not fussed. Team Calliope.

Shiny
12-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Making typos has less to do with stupidity and more to do with having fat, clumsy fingers which I do have.