PDA

View Full Version : Being a huge loser

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 02:37 PM
...On which I'm an authority! :D

...No, I'm kidding. This thread isn't about my pathetic life insomuch as it concerns the question of "how can I lose a lot of weight, quickly, without causing permanent health problems?"

Anyone wanna share their secret weight loss techniques? My boss (the bandleader) has promised me $750 if I can drop some weight.

Quick note: yes, I understand that "eating all the foods and not getting off my ass for days at a time" is not the correct way to do it.

Freya
12-10-2014, 04:38 PM
You want a diet that will lose weight fast and not kill you?

Keto. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1) But you have to be strict with it. And if you venture off you'll gain it back. It's not as restrictive as some diets but you still have to avoid some foods. There are a lot of fruits I love but can't eat on that diet. A lot of people do keto and weight lifting.

Basically, eat less crap, move more.

Shorty
12-10-2014, 04:48 PM
I was on a "loose" keto restriction earlier this year. It was interesting. I did lose quite a bit, but I didn't love doing it. Too much meat and fatty fat fats for my preference. inb4 one of you nerds tries to balk at me for saying that

My body responds well when I manage portion control and count calories. It is tedious, but works for me. Fruit and peanut butter toast for breakfast, vegetables for lunch, and more vegetables and a source of protein for dinner is best for me! Also, just even walking a couple of miles a day will do your body wonders. Pop in some headphones and go, or if it's too cold outside (like it is now), there are tons of youtube routines you can search for to just do in a room with a little bit of space. 30 minutes a day is what they say!

Pike
12-10-2014, 05:01 PM
MyFitnessPal. I've lost 12 pounds in six weeks and it doesn't even feel like I'm trying. It's friggin awesome.

escobert
12-10-2014, 09:40 PM
pot, lots of pushing around 500+lbs hay bails and picking up sheep and a ham sandwich for lunch. then whatever you find/afford for dinner. Then you can be 150bs like me!

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
pot, lots of pushing around 500+lbs hay bails and picking up sheep and a ham sandwich for lunch. then whatever you find/afford for dinner. Then you can be 150bs like me!

Did you get the part where I said I was a musician? Cuz I am. :)

Fox
12-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I dropped between 40 and 50lb over the course of 6 months or so. a) I got a treadmill and started running (treadmills are good because you can stay in and watch anime while exercising) and b) I replaced all my snacks with apples.

That's what really puts on the weight: snacking. I have an almost bottomless appetite, I always want to be eating something. When that something is low in calories and high in good stuff, it's quite a low effort way of cutting unnecessary junk out of your diet.

Pike
12-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Honestly I'm lucky when it comes to a weight loss routine for two reasons:

1.) I have a physical job so I rarely have to do any other exercise, and
2.) My colon issues seriously limit my diet. I cannot eat a.) high fructose corn syrup, b.) more than a set amount of sugar at one time (even "good" sugar, like in fruit), or c.) wheat. All of those three things will make you balloon up like no tomorrow and my body just so happens to hate them.

SO, I eat lots of things like nuts, dairy, eggs, meat, oats, and gluten free stuff. I don't technically have to be gluten free - it's the fructans, not the gluten, that kills my colon - but most gluten free food is also wheat and thus fructan free. I also have a big ol' sweet tooth but I've learned to limit myself to one small chocolate a day (I buy big bags and then they last forever) and if I want dessert I measure myself out a set amount of ice cream by using a food scale.

As my sugar and wheat intake has dropped so has my weight. And having a physical job that involves a lot of climbing, lifting, walking etc. is helping a lot too.

Definitely get a tracker app, I recommended MyFitnessPal earlier and I still do. Easy to use and you can just scan in the barcode of the food you eat and it basically does it all for you.

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to post here, and being sensitive about it to boot, but ultimately I just emailed my boss and told him "I don't think this is going to happen in the time frame we've set out."

Losing 70+ pounds in the space of 30 days will almost definitely kill me. I've thanked him for his offer, and told him I am still willing to try to lose weight, but it won't be by mid-January.

*Fingers crossed he keeps the money on the table*

Fuzakeru
12-11-2014, 01:47 AM
I totally agree that losing that much weight in such a short time span is bananas. :) I'm glad that you reconsidered that portion.

Pike
MyFitnessPal. I've lost 12 pounds in six weeks and it doesn't even feel like I'm trying. It's friggin awesome.

I LOVE MyFitnessPal. That program and RunKeeper make me feel accomplished.

Shorty
12-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Thirty days?!

Spooniest
12-11-2014, 02:08 AM
To: Spooniest
Re: Stuff

Time frame extended.

Me: 60945

escobert
12-11-2014, 04:03 AM

Did you get the part where I said I was a musician? Cuz I am. :)

Did you get the part where that doesn't matter? Cuz I did ;)

I am the anti-diet. I eat way too much meat/glutton and dairy. I rarely eat veggies and lettuce on my sandwich is about it usually. If I'm not working there is a 90% chance I am in front of my computer. And I am still more likely to lose weight than gain it.

Shiny
12-11-2014, 04:46 AM
Eat less (fatty and sugary foods), avoid bread at all cost, and exercise. None of which people who want to lose weight seem to want to do.

So I'll add this in: practice better self-control or if emotional problems it's what's causing the weight gain and overeating, therapy.

Add to that: get a nutrionist or someone who took a few years of nutritional science who can help you manage your calorie intake. A lot of personal trainers are nutrionists too but you'll probably end up paying around $750 anyway so probably pointless if you're just doing it for the money.

Night Fury
12-11-2014, 05:07 AM
MyFitnessPal is great, but I do think it's a bit off sometimes. Still, I find it's great to use as a food diary and start learning to really check what you're eating. You'd be amazed at how much I can eat without really realising and taking it in that actually, probably not a good idea to snack on that much chocolate right now.

Do some exercise that you enjoy. Don't kill yourself by running if you're not a runner. You'll burn yourself out really fast. You don't need a gym membership, there are plenty of things you can do at home. I like dancing so I try to incorporate that into my workouts. Just Dance for the Wii is great if you're a bit out of shape - I was using it for a while and really started feeling the difference then I stopped. Welp.

Identify what it is you want out of changing your lifestyle
Want to lose weight?
Want to strengthen your body?
Want to cleanse and detox and be healthier?

Identify why you want to do it too
You aren't happy with your appearance?
You are really unfit?
You feel sluggish a lot?

Keep a diary or something. Mark down your progress, keep looking back to it for inspiration.
Don't feel like a failure if you miss a day of exercise, it happens, just motivate yourself to get back onto the wagon. :)

Iceglow
12-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Chicken, brown rice, veg. No carbs, no fizzy drinks, no beer (spirits are ok, but avoid mixing them too much so find something you like the taste of or can mix with tonic water). Meal sizes are important, 3 meals a day, can have say 30g of cereal or 2 slices of toast in morning (jam/preserve is ok but avoid choc spread etc). Lunch and Dinner should be relatively small; just about the size of both your fists will do (I do mine slightly smaller). Exercise some more, walk where possible, take stairs, some weights if you can.

The fat falls off leaving you lean.

Alternatively try a Paleo diet.

Yamaneko
12-11-2014, 07:28 AM
I've probably eaten bread, pasta, rice or other cereal a dozen times since 2009, and most of those instances it was only to be polite around the holidays.

I for sure haven't had a soda in over six years.

The one thing I recommend to people looking to not only lose weight, but improve cardiovascular health, is to cut wheat from your diet.

krissy
12-12-2014, 04:01 AM
drink more water
do pushups and situps everyday for four weeks
raise the number as you can
don't come home saying 'im tired' and then not do it it is literally like 8 minutes at most, and tbh maybe less than 3 minutes
that's as long as it takes to heat up a sausage or boil eggs btw

The one thing I recommend to people looking to not only lose weight, but improve cardiovascular health, is to cut wheat from your diet.

can you not
i like bread
thnx

Night Fury
12-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Alternatively try a Paleo diet.

Or alternatively

Ayen
12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I managed to drop 14 pounds by just adding salad, peas, corn, and green beans to my diet (I alternate between the last three), replacing potato chips with carrots as a side dish, going from white to wheat bread, and swapping all pop intake out with water. To my surprise I've actually developed a taste for water and salad, just as soon as I took the eggs out of it. The eggs were disgusting.

Sephiroth
12-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Do not eat necessarily less, eat the right stuff and move.

1. Eat right, move
2. ???
3. Profit
4. Repeat

MissH
12-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Bubba and I gave the 'lost a stone in a week' diet a go. As it happened, we only did 2 days as we had other stuff going on. But actually, even in 2 days I lost almost half a stone! It's all about the chemical reaction for the ingredients- so you can't replace anything- but you will lose weight. It stays off providing you don't stuff your face with rubbish afterwards.

Aulayna
12-12-2014, 02:17 PM
MyFitnessPal to keep track of what you're eating. Be honest and be accountable.

Couch 2 5k, 3 days a week. (or 2 days and then a 3rd day at home running up and down stairs for 40-60mins)

Some kettlebells and stuff at home.

Is how I've lost 32lbs since the start of September. :3

Spooniest
12-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Even something like two or three beers a week is going to start packing on the gut eventually. Just empty calories, and mostly sugar.

Its main ingredient is highly super concentrated sugar, yes :)

This explains how I got here! Now I'm going back ;D Time to kick ass at guitar and live for a long time

Spooniest
12-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I got down to a very ideal weight when I was on the road in 2001-02 (since I was jumping up and down for 4 hours a night 4 nights a week, and not eating a terrible whole lot). Since then I've been up and down. Heh...I feel like this guy.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-12-2014, 05:09 PM
You shouldn't want to spend time with or have a "boss" who offers you large amounts of money to lose 70 lbs in 30 days.

What's the end goal, anyway? You say he's a bandleader. Is it about looking good on stage?

I'm always annoyed when I see Biggest Loser on tv and someone's crying because the 9 pounds they lost this week "wasn't good enough".

Spooniest
12-12-2014, 05:19 PM
You shouldn't want to spend time with or have a "boss" who offers you large amounts of money to lose 70 lbs in 30 days.

The real problem is that he lacks communication skills...he's one of those people who just talks and talks and talks unless you interrupt him. I'm in an awful spot, because this is my only source of income, I can't just tell the guy "will you take a breath once in a while?"

Still nowhere near the worst situation I've put up with to play music for money.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-12-2014, 05:26 PM
But is it to look good on stage, though?

Spooniest
12-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Specifically in photos and videos...I guess on stage, too, but it wasn't mentioned

Pike
12-12-2014, 05:35 PM
can you not
i like bread
thnx

if I can't eat wheat then no one can

all of you guys are gonna suffer with me

deal with it

:colbert:

Alonzo_
12-12-2014, 09:00 PM
I actually lost around 50 lbs in a few weeks back when I was a teenager just because I sat only in shorts infront of a mirror one day and saw how terrible that belly fat looked
I did it by eating like 1/2 - 1/3 of what I ate before and absolutly no more sweets and fat stuff(was like a crash diet, but I never put on any weight after that gladly)
You don't even have to do a lot of sport, just drink a lot of water and cut down all "bad" food like fast food, sweets, chips...
In theory it's really easy

black orb
12-13-2014, 01:47 AM
>>> If you are rich then just go through surgery..
If you are not rich then stop drinking soda, and all the sugary stuff (is not that hard).. Green tea is great BTW..:luca:

Shiny
12-13-2014, 06:38 AM
I've probably eaten bread, pasta, rice or other cereal a dozen times since 2009, and most of those instances it was only to be polite around the holidays.

I for sure haven't had a soda in over six years.

Absolutely, I've noticed changes in my body and stamina cutting down on my pasta, bread, and soda intake. I've ousted out soda for a long time, but just today I drank a coco cola and already my stomach is hating me.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-13-2014, 06:41 AM

Specifically in photos and videos...I guess on stage, too, but it wasn't mentioned

Right. But at that point it's not about music anymore. It's about groupies.

Spooniest
12-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Groupies, of course, that's the whole point of the music industry

But I'm more concerned with my diet and exercise routine, kinda