PDA

View Full Version : Attacks that strike fear into your heart

metagloria
12-10-2014, 03:10 PM
"Please don't use [xxxx], please don't use [xxxx], please don- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

We've all been there, fighting these bosses or super-hard enemies who lay waste to even your well-equipped party with nightmarish attacks. Which ones continue to make you shudder at the mention of their name?

I'll start with some well-known classics:

Bad Breath, obviously (Malboro, many games, worst in VIII and X)
Disaster (Brontosaur, VI)
Goannai (Ghost Ship, VII in the Battle Arena)
Curse (Ozma/Hades, IX)
Big Bang (Zeromus, IV)

What else terrifies you?

Karifean
12-10-2014, 06:23 PM

OH GOD THIS SO MUCH. I was stoked when I found out White Wind and Elixirs instantly kill the thing.

Other mentions:

Encircle (multiple enemies, V)
Dispelga (multiple enemies, XII)
Darkja (Zodiark, XII)
Fireworks (Almighty Shinra, X-2)

metagloria
12-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I was stoked when I found out White Wind and Elixirs instantly kill the thing.

O_O

You don't say...

Another mention for me:
Snort (Yan, IX)

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Sorcerers from FFI seem to have Added Effect-Death materia in their staves...add to that the fact that reviving your characters was a royal pain in the ass in the NES game, and they become one of my all-time most feared adversaries.

I see this, and I'm Running from that fight so hard.

VeloZer0
12-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Any instant death/stone move or attack from FFI. I think that is probably the only game that I go into battle dreading the attacks rather then other games which I view instant death attacks as an annoying inconvenience that I want to avoid.

Newmani
12-11-2014, 02:36 AM
Flipping Supernova. It is the bane of my existence. Removes 7/8 of your party's HP? Fine. Animation lasts two minutes? That's ok, I got something to eat. Casts almost all negative status effects in the game on your entire party, including turning you into a frog? Fudge. Frantically trying to revive and heal my party members while Sephitoth slowly floats back down and strikes them dead? AGH! Even with the Ribbon equipped it's hell to deal with. :mad2:

Another one is Lapis Laser, which is very damaging and hits the entire party, and Beta, when you first encounter the Midgar Zolom. It's awesome once it's in your possession though. And then there's Knife and Everyone's Grudge... I can't really remember any really annoying attacks there, but it's been a while since I played it.

maybee
12-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Big Bang (Zeromus, IV)

This. Plus it always seems to hurt my eyes, no matter what version it is.

Ayen
12-12-2014, 10:27 AM
I cringed every time Sephiroth used Super Nova because I didn't want to die. Sorceress Edea using Death three times in a row to give me an instant game over also sucked. A lot. I wanted to punch the programmer.

Shiva95
12-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Disaster from the Brontosaur in FFVI is the worst for me.

Yellow_Magic
12-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Most attacks Seymour Flux uses. *shudder*

Madame Adequate
12-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Bad Breath, obviously (Malboro, many games, worst in VIII and X)

Both of these are terrible!

Aire Tam Storm for anyone who hasn't figured out how it works, or who is relying on Final Attack-Revive, and is about to run out.

Lance of Atrophy plus Mortiochis casting Full-Life :argh:

Jinx
12-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Anima's overdrive. ;-;

Pete for President
12-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Anima's overdrive. ;-;

Indeed. Especially the Dark Version.

Also Jecht's Final Aeon's overdrive. It took me way to long before I realised the "talk" option is there to reset it's bar.

And then there's that instant game-over attack by Seymour the 3rd.