PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy...

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 05:45 PM
...I couldn't get into this game at all.

The story didn't interest me (aww, they crushed your flower, poor baby), the battle system was confusing and unnecessarily complicated, and the time it took to get from one end of Rabanastre to the other was just coma-inducing. The load times between sections of the city (!) didn't help either.

Did anyone else have this experience? Maybe I have a terribly short attention span? I can't say for sure. But I do know this, I don't like Final Fantasy beyond the PSX era...

Give me back my airship.

Colonel Angus
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Crazy.

chionos
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I was accustomed to the load times, the openness and scope and the battle system from having played FFXI, which makes FFXII seem like a kiddy game by comparison.

I love FFXII. I know it's not the best example of Final Fantasy, I know it's quite a bit different. It's an Ivalice game. I actually like the story, but it does fall flat because the big bads are kind of a letdown. The ending isn't the greatest in the series, etc. Despite its problems, I still think the game is immensely enjoyable. I personally love the combat, the sounds, the music, the characters. But it's maybe the one game in the series that I like that I can understand other people not liking, especially in the context of Final Fantasy. So I won't call you crazy. Especially since you're sane enough to recognize the greatness that is FFVI.

metagloria
12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
You're crazy. XII is amazing.

Ayen
12-12-2014, 08:28 AM
No. I can't say I had this experience. I sympathize with all the running around you have to do, though.

Leigh
12-14-2014, 02:25 AM
I empathise with you, sir. I didn't really get Final Fantasy XII either. I don't think there has been a decent story since Final Fantasy X, and you have to go back to IX before you find an engaging one in my opinion.

Akihiko Yoshida...I just cannot warm to his particular artistic style. They were obviously trying to mesh some sort of pseudo-mmorpg style battle system into the mix as well. It just didn't quite sit right with me for some reason. I never got around to completing the game though. I will try to one day, but like XII-2, it is one of those games I have...but when I try to play, I just groan. Some things defy explanation; they're merely visceral.

Dat Matt
12-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Storywise I feel this game was one of the worst.

It's the hunts and Superbosses that make this game for me.

Pike
12-14-2014, 06:31 PM
I couldn't stand this game either. I did like the world and the music though.

Colonel Angus
12-14-2014, 06:56 PM

Fynn
12-15-2014, 06:25 AM

Still, you're not alone. Judging by the responses here (or anywhere else in this section of the forums) this is THE most divisive title.

Pete for President
12-15-2014, 06:30 AM
The game has got some good things and some flaws, but what bothered me most is that a lot of the areas feel like filler. Empty. Soulless.

I enjoyed the first playthrough, although it didn't live up to my expectations. The second I just couldn't get myself to finish it.

Crop
12-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Still, you're not alone. Judging by the responses here (or anywhere else in this section of the forums) this is THE most divisive title.

Final Fantasy VIII says hello.

When I first played this game I stopped about a quarter of the way through, not liking it at all. I didn't pick it up again for a couple of years but when I finally did it has fast become my 2nd/3rd favourite FF (depending on my mood).

Too much walking around does suck though, I agree there.

Fynn
12-16-2014, 09:13 PM

When I first played this game I stopped about a quarter of the way through, not liking it at all. I didn't pick it up again for a couple of years but when I finally did it has fast become my 2nd/3rd favourite FF (depending on my mood).

The VIII haters are not quite so vehement nowadays, i think.

Jinx
12-16-2014, 09:15 PM

The VIII haters are not quite so vehement nowadays, i think.

Welp, guess I haven't been doing my job!

Freya
12-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Still not a VIII fan.

I do have a special spot for XII though. I can understand why others don't like it.

fat_moogle
12-19-2014, 08:05 PM
If you asked me what the story of this game was about I'd say "manufacted Nethicite". That's about all I remember of the game. I'm sorry to say that I didn't have the drive to complete it. Got stuck looking for a place called...Giruvegan, I think? I no longer have a copy of the game, or a PS2, so there's no way of me playing it again unless Square Enix Remaster it. Which they have hinted at.

I would buy it. I feel that I didn't give the game the chance it deserves and I've kind of wrote it off as "that Final Fantasy title I don't like". That was 7 years ago though so I feel if I had the chance to try it again I'd have a new appreciation of it.