PDA

View Full Version : Insensitivity

MissH
12-12-2014, 06:17 PM
So as many as you might have seen, last Friday my Dad was diagnosed with Leukaemia. As you can imagine, we're in the hellish stages of coming to terms with the shock diagnosis and what lies ahead. Just about the last thing I want to hear about right now is Christmas.

Yesterday, we received a Christmas card from our closest family friend. Now, I know we can't stop people sending Christmas cards- but check out the message inside.

A tad insensitive,no?

When have you found yourself (hopefully by accident) or someone else being insensitive?

Shorty
12-12-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm sure they didn't mean to be insensitive and that they were referencing the holiday season or something. That's what I would imagine.

Pumpkin
12-12-2014, 06:27 PM
I had a miscarriage and someone said "It's probably for the best"

They were right, but that's the last thing you want to hear the day after a miscarriage

Oh and let's not forget having an open and honest discussion about your mental health issues just to have the person go around literally calling you crazy to everyone

chionos
12-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Yeah I don't think tact is really something people value anymore. Just because something's true doesn't mean it needs to be said.

I've come close to saying some insensitive things just from not thinking, but luckily have always caught myself at the last second and stammered out some lame workaround.

Some insensitivity comes from a good place, sadly. The thought is that telling people to be happy or being aggressively positive will somehow make the situation better. I think that's basically one part ignorance and one part differences in personality.

MissH
12-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Oh it was a Xmas card so absolutely not meant. But being our closest family friends and knowing the situation we're in- you'd think they'd chose their card a little more carefully!

I can't believe someone would actually say a miscarriage is for the best- what a douche. There are so many utter idiots around.