PDA

View Full Version : Computer sound

Jinx
12-14-2014, 04:43 PM
When I plug in my headphones, a few of the programs I have up run through them. The other programs are playing sound through my speakers like normal, as if I don't have my headphones plugged in.

Can someone explain how to fix this. ;-;

Night Fury
12-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

Aulayna
12-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Right click on the Speaker icon on the task bar, click Playback Devices, select your Headphones (or the sound device that shows activity but doesn't currently have a Green and White tick next to it) and then Set Default and OK. Some programs may need to be restarted to pick up the change.

Loony BoB
12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
I know this happens with some things like computer games. If I am running FFXIV, then connect my TV, FFXIV will continue to play through the PC speakers. I actually find that really useful as I can watch a movie and play FFXIV at the same time. xD

But yeah, if shutting down the program and then restarting it doesn't work, it will probably be a restart of your PC after that.

Vyk
12-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I get this problem more when using HDMI, I think having two digital aduio outputs, outside of default speakers is what causes this type of confusion for my computer (a laptop). Are you playing on a computer hooked up to a TV instead of a monitor, or perhaps a monitor with HDMI or something? Or any other kind of digital audio output that may conflict?

Though I'm kind of speaking out of my ass, since I don't think headphone jacks are even a digital route. But either way, I know this happens a lot when I already have something running and plug in my HDMI. Only things that are opened after the HDMI actually do what they're supposed to. Anything that was previously open usually gets confused and it's random which audio route they choose