PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation time!

Pete for President
12-15-2014, 01:59 AM
I'm in need of something new to play! Please help me out :) Here's the situation:

- I only have a Macbook with me on my travels. It runs OSX.
- Don't have a mouse, but you'd be surprised how dextrous I am with my wacom tablet. A shooter however is too hard for this.
- The games I have installed and thus not looking for are: Hotline Miami, Braid, Dota 2, Hearthstone, Portal & Portal 2 (gives you an idea of what my macbook can run too).
- Low cost is pro, not looking to spend more than $20-25.
- Story/adventure driven is a pro, as well as original art direction.
- Not shy of hard games. I'm open for anything rpg, adventure, stealth or point & click/puzzle!
- Indie all the way :cool:

Bastion is on my list, as well as a 2-d sneaky ninja game someone around here was a fan of. Can't remember the name of the person or game though :(

What should I get and play? What titles I have not heard of do you guys recommend?

Vyk
12-15-2014, 02:15 AM
You're probably talking bout Mark of the Ninja. Haven't really played it though I do own it and I've heard all the praise

Stealth Bastard is another one. More puzzles but still good. There's one more I can't think of the name of where you have a trench coat

If you liked Bastion, which sadly I did not, you may like that company's other game Transistor. Which I love

I'll probably think up some more when I get home

Though you can browse GOG and filter for just Mac games

chionos
12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Mark of the Ninja is for win. It can be challenging at times (especially if you know how to challenge yourself) is beautifully animated, has an interesting story, and there's several different play styles. A lot of stealth games claim this, but MotN really gives the player the ability to go through the game however they want.

Pete for President
12-15-2014, 04:55 AM
You're probably talking bout Mark of the Ninja. Haven't really played it though I do own it and I've heard all the praise

Stealth Bastard is another one. More puzzles but still good. There's one more I can't think of the name of where you have a trench coat

If you liked Bastion, which sadly I did not, you may like that company's other game Transistor. Which I love

Thanks for reminding me! Mark of the Ninja was that stealth game indeed, and it's for Mac yay. I have never heard of Stealth Bastard but I'll check that out. Please do tell the name of the mystery game if it comes across your mind :)

I haven't played Bastion, but I have heard many good things about it. It's on my list to get at some point.

Though you can browse GOG and filter for just Mac games

But you guys are experts and I trust your advice! :roll2

Mark of the Ninja is for win. It can be challenging at times (especially if you know how to challenge yourself) is beautifully animated, has an interesting story, and there's several different play styles. A lot of stealth games claim this, but MotN really gives the player the ability to go through the game however they want.

It really does sound like a game I would enjoy! The only thing I forgot is that it's a modern setting, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I just have too much nostalgia for the Tenchu series, ha!

Mark of the Ninja is now top of the list unless another suggestion knocks it out of the park :p

Vyk
12-15-2014, 07:27 AM
The only good competitors are more action oriented. Valdis Story, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Freedom Planet, Transistor, Cave Story+ are a hand full of the most entertaining and/or better developed side scroller games, but they're all of a different genre. Aside from Transistor. Which isn't a side scroller of any type, but still kinda belongs in that sprite/pixel world

Pete for President
12-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the advice Vyk, I will check those out on Steam!

For now Bastion was on sale for -60% so I went and bought that.

Vyk
12-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Other than myself, I don't know anyone who hasn't fallen in love with that game, so it was probably a good idea to grab it up, and low price means low risk, so even if not, it was probably worth the gamble. Hope you enjoy it though. The style is pretty awesome, I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I didn't advance the story enough or something. But the narrator is flippin awesome

krissy
12-19-2014, 06:35 AM
bastion's the best
you'll love it