PDA

View Full Version : Worst Final Fantasy X Minigame

Dat Matt
12-19-2014, 05:02 PM
As a result of making it to the Minigames in a recent episode of Lets Play FFX HD #shameless plug (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo4Mu7NHT4c) it got me thinking that most of these minigames are dumb.

Which one is the worst. Vote in the comments (Ha, catchphrase from our lets play which you should totally watch) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVR15YBk5G4&index=1&list=PLj0n-LFniA1cz5Z0I7yTksqj_8_lO0Gya)

Psychotic
12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Toss up between Lightning Dodging and Butterfly Catching. Fuck all of those noises.

Mirage
12-19-2014, 05:32 PM
butterfly catching and lightning doding were both terrible. I voted lightning dodging.

Blitzball is actually amazing and doesn't belong on this list.

Pumpkin
12-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Blitzball because it was the only mandatory one and I HATED IT

Mirage
12-19-2014, 05:35 PM
how typical of a girl to not like sports

pah

Pumpkin
12-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Don't make me push you

Mirage
12-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Let's blitz over it :|

Pumpkin
12-19-2014, 05:42 PM
:|

Jinx
12-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Blitzball because it was the only mandatory one and I HATED IT

Actually, this is my exact reasoning. I would hate it regardless, but it's the only mini-game that you're forced to play.

Sephiroth
12-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Snow also hates dodging Lightning so he just doesn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSoM5RjBWM

Vermachtnis
12-19-2014, 05:52 PM
I was going to say Chocobo Dodger, but I beat that. I've never beat Lightning Dodging. I got to 83 and almost broke my Vita though.

Madame Adequate
12-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Butterfly catching. Love Blitzball, rarely had trouble with Chocobo Racing, and Lightning Dodging is only a problem because it takes so long. I can never do butterfly catching right though, no matter how many times I try.

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Where's my "all of the above" choice? FFX seriously had the worst collection of mini-games in the series though X-2 certainly tried to give it a run for its money. I've never actually gotten Wakka's ultimate weapon completed though, largely because I don't have time to play poorly balanced water sports tournaments for hours on end.

Spooniest
12-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Blitzball.

Blitz

Ball.

I HATE THEE FOREVER

Ergroilnin
12-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Well I've finished FFX multiple times, all the minigames completed so I may be kind of biased now but really the worst one is either Cochobo dodger or Monster Hunting if you are really unlucky.

While I didn't like the mechanics behind BB, I didn't mind playing it. Sure getting Wakka's ultimate weapon and Auroch's reels took decent amount of time, it wasn't that frustrating for me.

Considering that I like battles a LOT in FFX, monster hunting wasn't really a problem for me sans few exceptions like when you have whole area cleared and you are just waiting for the last tonberry to show up. That sucks allright.

Lighting Dodge... I never done it the "legal" way. A.K.A. dodging random flash screens. I always did this one through those "lighting will always strike" areas and thus I never really had a problem with this one.

Butterfly Cathing sure can suck the first ten - twenty times but once you realize that the butterflies do not change their position at all, it can become very easy so I never had a serious problem with this one either.

Well since I have to choose, the very worst for me was always the Chosobo catcher since I had to run it really good AND wait for great "map".

Cleric
12-19-2014, 09:50 PM
I would rather dodge lightning 500 times than catch butterflies. That is the main reason I have only powered up Kimahri's ultimate weapon once.

metagloria
12-20-2014, 03:50 AM
Neither my friend (who can do anything) nor I have ever successfully completed butterfly catching. Everything else sucks, but we can do it.

I lied, Blitzball doesn't suck, you suck, Blitzball is the best. Also monster catching is awesome and I wish it was in every FF.

Karifean
12-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Lightning Dodging. I can enjoy all other minigames but Lightning Dodging. If it just hadn't required you to do them in a row it would've been fine, albeit even more of a stupid waste of time.

Monster Catching was an awesome sidequest.

Blitzball is one of the most fun minigames in the series. Next to Triple Triad and maybe Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Butterfly Catching is mostly memorization, but I personally never had issues with it. It sucks that you can leave the screen afterwards and lose your winning run. But the minigame itself is okay.

Catcher Chocobo is fun. Maybe it's because I played this game a lot as a kid before I even knew about the special reward for getting 0:0.0, maybe because it's so algorithmic and theoretically predictable that I can blame just about all my failures on my own lack of skill, maybe it's because I just love chocobos. But this minigame is pretty damn fun for me.

But I cannot defend Lightning Dodging. I just can't. Which is why I don't do it. Problem solved.

Shiva95
12-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Blitzball. I simply hate it!

Pete for President
12-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Actually none of them are too bad. Lightning dodging can be done within 20 minutes or so, but I do agree that it's not a very engaging minigame. I think it took me an hour or so for the butterfly catching the one and only time I've done it. Compared to common RPG grinds that's not that bad in terms of time investment.

I'd rather have these quests than a 1/1000 chest spawn, or farming a certain monster praying for the RNG to cooperate.

Crop
12-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Wow, very surprised at all the hate for Blitzball. Not only was it the finest minigame in FFX, but arguably in the whole series. The only one that could rival it is Triple Triad imo.

Back to the topic, I'd say Lightning Dodging. Never had much of a problem with Chocobo Racing or Butterfly Catching, but the lightning was just so damn tedious.

Ayen
12-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Chalk me down to the "Blitzball is awesome" crowd.

Lightning Dodge for the lose.

Omni-Odin
01-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Lightning Dodge. Easy. Butterfly catching is difficult, but ultimately possible. Blitzball's only problem is time. Soooo much time taken up.

Richard
05-02-2015, 09:00 PM
I loathed the lightning dodge. I gave up and said "piss on it...I'm done"

Normally when its hard for me to get something I want. I turn to using cheats. I don't see anything wrong with it as most FF games are not online so its not hurting anyone and I just want to have fun.

On the PS2 version I used a Game Shark or a Code Breaker to get all Celestial Weapons. I used a Save Editor or Hyperkin's Game Genie PC mod tool for the PS3 version.

BlasterDarkRen
06-17-2015, 03:07 AM
Lightning dodging. Get out.

also I loved Blitzball

Formalhaut
06-17-2015, 03:20 AM
I'm very suspicious that Lightning Dodging is used as a form of torture in some dictatorships.

In all seriousness though, lightning dodging isn't a mini-game. A game is meant to be fun. How is dodging (and failing) 200 strikes IN A ROW a fun use of my time?

Butterfly catching is also dull as hell, but at least it is not as difficult as lightning dodging. Chocobo dodger is worse and is very hard, but at least it isn't so soul-crushing as lightning dodging because of the Chocobos. I've completed Chocobo dodger once, and was intensely happy after it.

I used to hate Blitzball, not helped by the poor introduction to the mini-game with the Luca Goers. But once you get used to it and know who the good players are to scout, it actually becomes mildly enjoyable. I only ever play it enough to get Wakka's stuff, though. Finally, monster hunting gives a run for lightning dodger's money. It isn't so bad at first, until you realize to get really far into it, you basically have to max the majority of your stats, and that gets tedious.

Shauna
06-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Actually none of them are too bad.

Agree. Having done most of them recently for the first time, none of them caused me as much grief as I thought they would. Exaggerations all round. Blitzball is the most time consuming, and that is a fantastic minigame that I am happy to pour hours into.

Big D
06-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Chocobos and butterflies. That's all I got. The rest was tolerable, even doable and sometimes interesting. The chocobos and butterflies were just rage-inducing.

Bubba
06-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Lightning dodging. Get out.

also I loved Blitzball

Yup, this.

The mini-games in FFX (barring Blitzball) are definitely the worst I've experienced.

Zanmato
06-25-2015, 04:33 PM
The most irritating minigame in FFX is Lightning Dodging - I'm not even trying, because I find it pretty stressful and... C'mon! 200 times IN A ROW for Venus Sigil, really?! XD
Even these Chocobo minigames are less frustrating than that! XD
And hey, I love Blitzball - that's my favourite part of FFX. <3

Silent Warrior
06-25-2015, 06:34 PM
This poll requires an 'All of the above' option...

Zanmato
06-26-2015, 02:32 PM
This poll requires an 'All of the above' option...
Yeah, I agree with you. :P

Egami
06-26-2015, 02:37 PM
I didn't like any of the minicames really, it is one of the weaknesses of the game imo. If I had to pick one I'd say Lightning Dodging is the worst.

Zanmato
06-26-2015, 03:15 PM
I didn't like any of the minicames really, it is one of the weaknesses of the game imo. If I had to pick one I'd say Lightning Dodging is the worst.
Blitzball is pretty legit in FFX, because Tidus and Wakka are Blitzers, so lack of Blitzball would hurt the game IMHO.
About the rest of minigames... yeah, they shouldn't be included there.
I don't know about Chocobo riding in previous games, but I think that Chocobo training should be easier. XD

Egami
06-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Blitzball is pretty legit in FFX, because Tidus and Wakka are Blitzers, so lack of Blitzball would hurt the game IMHO.

Oh, not saying it shouldn't have been included and it does ties in well with the story; it just could have been more fun to play imo.

Zanmato
06-26-2015, 05:52 PM

Oh, not saying it shouldn't have been included and it does ties in well with the story; it just could have been more fun to play imo.

Yes, it could, I agree. It's pretty screwed in FFX-2... I just hate this game generally, but this aspect of game is the worst one.

MarieFantasyx
11-24-2016, 05:32 PM
In ffx I hate Blitzball so much,
In the x-2 I'll say giving a massage to Leblanc^^;

TidusReborn
01-03-2017, 08:39 AM

I finally got some "No Encounter" gear, got to 13 before I was zapped..... Haven't made another attempt yet.

Darth Ganon
05-23-2017, 03:05 AM
The chocobo game led me to some actual bodily harm, so that one.

Mr Gashtacular
02-06-2018, 09:10 PM
ive rarely been as angry at a video game as when i did the chocobo one dodging birds. it was the worst.

i also hated the butterfly one.

the lightning one i found strangely relaxing.

i hated the mini-games in this game, overall

CimminyCricket
02-07-2018, 08:08 AM
The lightning one took too much time. 200 is a lot and it's time consuming for what I considered to be a very piss poor return on investment.

Skyblade
02-08-2018, 01:40 PM
The lightning one is the worst, by far. Boring, too much time invested, too easy to lose, no way to track progress, no way to save, no engagement, no fun. Chuck it in the bin and move on.

I did this legitimately exactly once. When I went to replay on the HD version, I cheated and ran a computer script to dodge for me, and just walked away from the game for a couple of hours.

Fynn
02-08-2018, 01:46 PM
There’s a bypass though. In one exact spot the Lightning always strikes when you approach. Using that exploit, you can do it pretty fast and relatively stress-free.

No such exploit for the Chocobo minigane tho

Freya
02-08-2018, 03:38 PM
See i never had issues with the chocobo minigame. But the lightning? :argh:

Psychotic
02-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Toss up between Lightning Dodging and Butterfly Catching. Fuck all of those noises.It's been over three years since I made this post and I'm still really fucking angry about it.

ReloadPsi
02-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Man am I ever grateful for the save editor for the Steam version. If I ever replay this game I'll never actually have to do those minigames again.

Kibbs Kibbard
02-16-2018, 08:09 AM
I would say the Chocobo Catcher was the worst for me, I didn't curse as much during the Lightning Dodge though and it was a pain in the ass.

Mr. Carnelian
02-17-2018, 12:43 AM
Personally, Lightning Dodging. I never even bothered with the Chocobo one, though, so maybe that one's even worse.