PDA

View Full Version : Which Difficulty Mode Do You prefer?

Pumpkin
12-20-2014, 05:02 PM
So the really nice games that let you choose the difficulty to suit your needs, what do you pick?

I'll be in the minority here, but easy

Mirage
12-20-2014, 05:45 PM
I always start on normal. I only change it if I'm getting my hand assed to me, or if there is no challenge at all. That's assuming the game lets me change it after I've started.

On second playthroughs, I almost always pick one difficulty level higher.

Pike
12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Usually normal, although if it's something I'm particularly good at (like the Civ series) or if it's a game that I think works best when it's challenging (like the Deus Ex series), I'll pick a higher difficulty level.

Madame Adequate
12-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Like Pike, it depends on the game. I'll usually change the difficulty partway through as well, as I learn what it is about the game I'm enjoying. Some games work best, in my eyes, under certain conditions, so I pretty much always play X-Com and stuff on Ironman for example.

Psychotic
12-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Usually Normal. I have bumped it up to the hardest difficulties on the likes of MGS, Gears of War, Halo and Dynasty Warriors for the sake of loot/achievements. On FIFA I usually put it up to the hardest as it's not really a challenge for me otherwise and I just win 10-0 which gets boring. I am not averse to easy mode on many games though. Bethesda RPGs in particular are nice because of their sliding and adjustable difficulty scale. If I start to get a bit bored and just want to explore or do missions for the story aspect rather than the fighting I'll crank it down and just straight up liquify my enemies.

Vermachtnis
12-20-2014, 06:50 PM
I just leave it on the Normal/default setting. Only going higher or lower for achievables and whatnot.

Shlup
12-20-2014, 08:11 PM
I leave most games on normal, though I find that on adventure games (like Skyrim) I usually just want to dick around so I may just put it on easy. I'll play an RTS game on as hard as I can manage; for those games it's good to have a challenge.

Spooniest
12-21-2014, 05:56 AM
I always start at the easiest setting and move up. I never stop in the middle of a playthrough to change difficulties.

I noticed, quite a while ago, that games tend to throw things at you that you wouldn't expect at each new difficulty level...it's often not as simple a progression as just "on Difficult you do less/take more damage." I'm always surprised by some little thing that the game manages to pull out of nowhere.

Ayen
12-21-2014, 06:02 AM
Easy. I get my ass handed to me in games enough, I don't need the extra help.

I Took the Red Pill
12-21-2014, 06:31 AM
I find most modern single-player games to be a bit too easy on Normal Difficulty, so I usually start on Hard. It's good fun, but some games have a hard mode which is just insanity. In recent years, Max Payne 3 with free aim on comes to mind.

Dat Matt
12-21-2014, 11:47 AM
I used to start games on the highest difficult setting in order to get the best achieveables. Since the remake of Bionic Commando though, and nearly killing myself playing it on hard I tend to play games on Normal now. I run though most games on normal now to get the experience.

I've yet to drop down to easy and just sail through a game though.

Aulayna
12-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Depends on the game really, a lot of the time I'll leave it on Normal, but if it's something I'm playing purely for story I'll put it on Easy.

I've never really cared for Hard/Ultra difficulty mode achievements.

Mirage
12-21-2014, 03:08 PM
That's what's been keeping me from bothering with the MGS2 trophies. I'm not sure how much frustration "extreme" would lead to.

Vyk
12-21-2014, 06:05 PM
It completely depends on the game for me. I generally play it on Normal, under the presumption that setting is what the developers intended, and they actively tweeked the other difficulties, so they may end up being too extreme in one direction or the other, and I don't want to ruin an experience by being too easy or too hard. But there are games that are known for being hard that I may play on easy, because even then, its not really a cake walk

Persona 4, my first playthrough (which I had to end prematurely due to a dead PS2) I started on easy, because Megami Tensei games are known for being difficult. Now that I'm playing Golden, and I've played a few other Megami Tensei games, I am playing on Normal. Though I don't see a whole lot of difference. I feel like I got more gold before. And there were a bunch of items for instant revival in a battle you lost at. But that's about it. The game itself doesn't seem harder. Its just progression is a fraction slower

Then there are the games that are just too damn easy. Dynasty Warriors was mentioned, and its a good example. Those games are a cake walk so I always play them on harder difficulty when I play them

Shiny
12-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Normal almost always except for Stealth Action games. I watched my boyfriend play Last of Us on Hard and it was the most annoying thing ever to watch and according to him, to play. If it's too hard that you keep dying and losing hairs, it's not worth it to me. Sometimes I'll go back and play missions on harder just to see how different it is, or if I really enjoyed the game and want to play through it again.

Rez09
12-24-2014, 08:06 PM
I generally play on hard mode when the option is available. I generally find that it provides a good challenge while still being manageable, and parts that I get stuck on I usually end up remembering the most fondly when I think back on the game.

Skyblade
12-25-2014, 03:02 PM
It depends on the game, but I usually enjoy things the most on Normal levels. Easy can get to be too easy, and Hard (or Insane, etcetera) is usually way too hard, mostly because I frequently play to wind down or relax, rather than push myself (I push myself enough at work and school).

Unfortunately, due to how many games punish you for not playing on the Hardest difficulty (losing extra endings or things like that), I've sort of forced myself into a habit of playing on Hard modes just to be sure I experience everything.

This, in turn, means that I rarely fully enjoy the gameplay, and can lead to me abandoning games that are otherwise quite good.

Extra Credits has an interesting little video on game difficulty and Dark Souls 2. While I don't agree with their conclusion about the game (mostly because they make the assumption that every play style is just as fun, regardless of how easy or hard it is), they are spot on with the problems that can be caused by bad difficulty settings.

MM2dDF4B9a4

Ergroilnin
12-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Easy on genres I never played before, normal on most games, hard/the hardest difficulties on games I've played before.

Iceglow
12-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Depends on the game really but with games like First Person Shooters (CoD, Halo, Destiny) I crank the difficulty up as high as it goes as I love the challenge.

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Depends on the game.

Quindiana Jones
01-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Start on normal and figure out what normal means, since it's completely different for every game depending on a whole lot of factors. I'll play on easy if I just have a half hour to have a quick bash, but if I can sit down and enjoy a game for a reasonable while, I know I'll enjoy it more on hard. :)

Masamunemaster
01-02-2015, 11:50 PM
I used to always go on normal, but some games now I start on hard. The last of us and bioshock infinite are good examples.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-03-2015, 12:06 AM
It honestly depends on the game and what I'm looking for. There are days where all I want is to experience a story and just don't have the time for grinding or whatnot. At those times, I'll just stick with the easiest difficulty. Usually I just go with normal mode. On the other hand, I always play on the hardest difficulty in Kingdom Hearts

Dr Unne
01-03-2015, 12:18 AM
I used to start games on the highest difficult setting in order to get the best achieveables. Since the remake of Bionic Commando though, and nearly killing myself playing it on hard I tend to play games on Normal now. I run though most games on normal now to get the experience.

I've yet to drop down to easy and just sail through a game though.

BC:R was difficult. I had to play on normal, but by the time I beat it, I was good enough that hard mode wasn't nearly as hard for the second playthrough. On my third or fourth playthrough I think I beat the whole game on hard in one sitting. That's the kind of game that really gets fun as you get better. Enemies don't just have more HP, they have smarter behavior. Some of the platforming is trickier because enemies are in different places. That's a good kind of hard mode.

Vyk
01-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Sounds like you really enjoyed it, too; considering you played through 4 or 5 times. I may have to look into this one. I had heard one of the Bionic Commandos was ridiculous. Must be the other one. Or I should just check my sources better

Formalhaut
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
There's only been three games I've ever bumped up to the harder difficulties: The World Ends With You (Ultimate), Dynasty Warriors 5 (Hard, haven't braved Chaos yet), and DMC: Devil May Cry (All difficulty settings).

Every other game I'm either scared of dying, because I really hate dying in video games, or playing it more for the story. Games like Mass Effect fall under both categories. For these, I play on either Easy or Normal, depending on what genre it is. I played the Mass Effect series on Easy, as I'm not a very good shooter.

If anything, games that don't give you the option to change difficulty annoy me the most. I love the Fable series, but I wish they implemented difficulty settings. Also games that punish you for not playing on the harder settings irritate me. Only unlocking trophies for playing on super mega death ultimate difficulty makes my completionist streak within me boil with anger.

Iceglow
01-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Mass Effect on the harder settings is a real challenge. You certainly find yourself learning to use your skills far more. Taking the first game as an example:

On Normal and Easy, you tend to forget that you can throw grenades a pretty ridiculous distance, or snipe even further. You definitely apart from on rare situations forget to issue orders for your team to use their abilities (unless you have them on auto use).

On hard, you kinda learn to be more cautious, learn to thin the herd of enemies with your sniper rifle from a ridiculous distance, throw grenades more often and generally use abilities a little more. A warp here, a lift there, an overload to that environmental hazard to drive those enemies from their cover.

On Insanity difficulty, you learn to use every scrap of cover, to move only when you've positioned your team to cover you and abilities aren't just useful, they're essential. Yes opponents have greater health and deal more damage. However, the biggest thing is the way enemies attack, they're more aggressive but smarter about it. Krogans are likely to simply rush you and overpower your squad before you can react. Geth however, will stick back and punish you with withering long range fire of uncanny accuracy. Don't even get me started about Thresher Maw's especially on foot!

Mass Effect 2 changed the formula, new enemies mean that you had to learn new tactics. The heavy weapons also added to it, what was seriously OP on Normal or Easy and seriously damaging on Hard becomes distinctly average on Insanity. Other weapons you'd disregard early on are key to victory (Hello Rocket Launcher) in several battles.

3 changed it again, instead of being weapon reliant like 2, or slow paced like 1. 3 Insisted that you do everything 30 times faster than you were ready for it. Abilities recharge in super short time periods meaning you literally memorize the combinations and when to trigger them, you move constantly and more often than not auto is the only way to let your team operate (unless you happen to have the Kinect sensor)

This is why I enjoy challenging myself to games like Mass Effect on the hardest settings. I've not completed any of them on that difficulty (On one I got relatively distracted, on 2, the same story, 3? I'm not sure I'm anywhere near good enough to survive the battles in London at the end of the game) but I'm definitely working on this.