PDA

View Full Version : What food is totally overrated?

Freya
12-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Peeps. I don't see the appeal.

Freya
12-18-2014, 04:38 PM
I mean, Nutella is okay but it's not god's gift to man like many people make it out to be.

Twinkies. Like why was there such a fuss?

Shorty
12-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Bacon. The internet needs to fucking get over bacon. It's fine and all, but damn, shut up.

Pike
12-18-2014, 04:41 PM
ITT: people naming like all my favorite foods :(

I don't like this thread :(

Freya
12-18-2014, 04:50 PM
The amount of bacon scented things is ridiculous.

Shorty
12-18-2014, 04:56 PM
My boss insisted I try a piece of bacon dark chocolate he offered me a little while ago. I cannot tell you how hard I resisted to vomit.

Pumpkin
12-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Nutella I agree with (hate the stuff), tiramisu, coffee, wine. I'm sure there's more but that's what I can think of

Loony BoB
12-18-2014, 05:11 PM
My boss insisted I try a piece of bacon dark chocolate he offered me a little while ago. I cannot tell you how hard I resisted to vomit.
Speaking of which: Chocolate. I mean, I like it, but it's definitely the most overrated food in the history of foods that I happen to actually like.

Shorty
12-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Speaking of which: Chocolate. I mean, I like it, but it's definitely the most overrated food in the history of foods that I happen to actually like.

All in favor of removing Daniel Towns from his authoritative position, please make yourselves known immediately.

Loony BoB
12-18-2014, 05:16 PM
For what it's worth, I ate three chocolate bars in the past 30 minutes because work gave them to me for free and I was hungry. But if there were an option between chocolate and something like, say, a burger or even some nice crisps... would I go for the chocolate? Hmm. Dunno. Cheesecake trumps chocolate every time. Before someone says "Ah, but chocolate cheesecake..." - no, chocolate cheesecake is not nearly as good as most other kinds of cheesecake. Especially passionfruit continental cheesecake. Om nom nom.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Here we go, I'll piss some people off.

Sriracha. I like the stuff, it's fine, but it's just a regular old hot sauce. I've had better, I've had worse. Some peple treat that shit like it's a religion.

noxious.sunshine
12-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Nutella, Chipotle, Moe's SW Grill. I haven't had Moe's yet, but I know it's p much the same thing as Chipotle and yeah. Chipotle ain't nothing to write home about.

I hate Nutella with a passion tho. It's waaaaaayyyyy too sweet.

And I'm with you on the sriracha, sharks. If I use it, I get the paste rather than the regular hot sauce version.

Shorty
12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Chipotle is fantastic and I'll not hear a word against it. :colbert:

sharkythesharkdogg
12-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Someone's breaking the rules of the thread. Calm down, zealot. :doublecolbert:

Shorty
12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Okay, you goaded me into it. Steak is overrated.

Mirage
12-19-2014, 06:35 PM
steak is way better than this thread is

metagloria
12-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Nutella, Chipotle, Moe's SW Grill. I haven't had Moe's yet, but I know it's p much the same thing as Chipotle and yeah. Chipotle ain't nothing to write home about.

It really isn't that same thing. The business model/set up is the same (walk down a line and choose what you want) and they're both vaguely Mexican...that's pretty much where the similarity ends. Moe's is vastly superior to Chipotle, both in taste and quality of food, and in choices and varieties.

Thank you. Moe's is head and shoulders above everything else* as far as that level of Mexican.

Panchero's is amazing but they barely exist

Madame Adequate
12-19-2014, 07:51 PM
steak is way better than this thread is

Yeah but roadkill is better than a thread full of Sarah and Sam's wrong opinions xD

fat_moogle
12-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Getting to open my secret santa present at work :)

sharkythesharkdogg
12-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Getting to open my secret santa present at work :)

......is overrated? I guess, maybe. Depends on what it is, and if it's keeping you from going home early because it's part of some mandatory morale boosting company function.

Calliope
12-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Sriracha is overrated.

Psychotic
12-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Okay, you goaded me into it. Steak is overrated.You're overrated :colbert:

Aulayna
12-20-2014, 10:09 PM
I mean, Nutella is okay but it's not god's gift to man like many people make it out to be.

I knew there was a reason we never became close friends.

I hate Nutella with a passion tho. It's waaaaaayyyyy too sweet.

Nutella I agree with (hate the stuff),

:erm:

Spuuky
12-21-2014, 02:11 AM
There have been approximately two things mentioned in this entire thread which I would even say qualify as "food." Certainly something like Peeps are not food (although they are terrible).

Dumplings are not nearly as good as people seem to claim them to be.

Kalevala
12-21-2014, 03:18 AM
ALSO KALE LOL

:(

Hipster Username
12-21-2014, 03:43 AM
If you've heard of it, it's probably overrated.

Speaking personally, though, I'd have to say anything at In-N-Out Burger. One semi-recently opened here in San Antonio (first in the city) and it caused an actual traffic jam opening day.

Sliders are also ridiculously overrated. They're just little hamburgers, not manna from heaven.

Night Fury
12-21-2014, 04:18 AM
I love nutella, not so much just to stick on toast or something but as an ingredient to other things. It makes nice milkshakes/hot chocolates, goes well in frosting to make a delicious chocolate frosting. It's nice baked into brownies, spread through the middle of a vanilla cake. Mmmmmmm nutella.

Y da nutella h8?

I knew there was a reason we never became close friends.

I knew there was a reason we were sisters.

Loony BoB
12-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Okay, you goaded me into it. Steak is overrated.
It really, really is!

Psychotic
12-22-2014, 05:28 PM
People who think steak is overrated don't deserve tongues.

Shiny
12-22-2014, 08:15 PM

I was hoping some insane person would come in and say how much chocolate is overrated. Shipping you off to the Loony bin. I don't need cigs or weed if I have chocolate. Shit is not only delicious it's a stress relief.

Pheesh
12-23-2014, 02:56 AM
Krispy Kreme (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/perths-krispy-kreme-obsession-why-its-not-about-the-doughnuts-20141126-11uk3p.html)

They were carted across the nation, literally, by the box. But it seems the days of Krispy Kreme cartons crammed into overhead lockers on domestic flights may be over, with the first store now open in Perth.

Hundreds of people queued prior to the opening on Wednesday, some camping out for several days.

I really like doughnuts but these just taste like sugar, I do not see what the big deal is.

I Took the Red Pill
12-23-2014, 06:46 AM
"Wraps" in all of their various manifestations. There is a time and a place for tortilla, but it's just not here. There was no want of a usurper to the throne claimed by King Sandwich for centuries now.

Ergroilnin
12-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Pizzas are the most overrated food ever.

Miriel
12-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Truffles. I was at a restaurant the other week and they mentioned the special of the day was a pasta dish topped with truffles. Priced at $70!! WTF? I had some truffle pasta while I was in Italy and I still didn't like it much. I think it tastes weirdly musky.

Also, Chipotle is bland and mediocre and I don't get why people shit themselves over it.

Ayen
12-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Cake! :stare:

Shiny
12-23-2014, 09:53 PM
I saw someone mentioned Chipolte. If we're talking about overated food places the kings are Shake Shack and In and Out Burger. In general New York and California probably have the most overrated food places out of any other states.

Loony BoB
12-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Krispy Kreme (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/perths-krispy-kreme-obsession-why-its-not-about-the-doughnuts-20141126-11uk3p.html)

They were carted across the nation, literally, by the box. But it seems the days of Krispy Kreme cartons crammed into overhead lockers on domestic flights may be over, with the first store now open in Perth.

Hundreds of people queued prior to the opening on Wednesday, some camping out for several days.

I really like doughnuts but these just taste like sugar, I do not see what the big deal is.
Oh, I have to second this one, too. Krispy Kreme donuts are basically just sugar with sugar attached coated in sugar. The taste? Sugar. So very boring.

escobert
12-23-2014, 11:16 PM
I agree with this. Chocolate is okay once in awhile. Often it's too sweet and I want to throw up. I don't eat candy much.

Colonel Angus
12-24-2014, 01:11 AM
OMG so many overrated thoughts.

IDK where to begin rebuking such terroristic thoughts.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Lunchables.

It's not like they're bad, but where does the insane fandom come from?

It's little cold cuts with crackers and cheese. Also a Capri Sun.

.......okay? When I was a little kid I remember other kids who hated crackers and juice time at kindergarden (5-6?), but the next year they thought lunchables were just amazing.

PS: I'm old enough to remember a time before lunchables. :(

Shauna
12-29-2014, 05:06 PM

Not to mention they actually taste terrible.

Is that really an uncommon thing? Because if it is I am gettin' old.

noxious.sunshine
12-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I saw someone mentioned Chipolte. If we're talking about overated food places the kings are Shake Shack and In and Out Burger. In general New York and California probably have the most overrated food places out of any other states.

I had Shake Shack for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I actually really enjoyed it! We went to the one by MoNH & it was jam packed. Nowhere to sit. No bueno.-.-

sharkythesharkdogg
12-29-2014, 05:26 PM

Not to mention they actually taste terrible.

Is that really an uncommon thing? Because if it is I am gettin' old.

Well, they came out here in the states sometime in the late 80's. (I think) So that means there's plenty of people here who barely remember them, or grew up with them. I was already somewhere around 7.

Shauna
12-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Of course. Lunchables became a big thing early 90s here.

Night Fury
12-29-2014, 06:06 PM
I used to love lunchables and there was many a time when I was a student I'd get one for a snack, just cos... Same applies to dairylea dunkers.

Mirage
12-29-2014, 07:18 PM
ITT: people grouping things with 50000 different variations as one single thing.

Notable examples: Pizza, chocolate.

Shiny
12-30-2014, 12:05 AM

Oh, I have to second this one, too. Krispy Kreme donuts are basically just sugar with sugar attached coated in sugar. The taste? Sugar. So very boring.

Now you're talking right. Krispy Kreme is absolutely terrible. I tried it for the first time last month and was aghast at how bad it was despite so many people telling me it was amazing. I should know to never listen to people with diabetes again.

black orb
12-30-2014, 12:46 AM
>>> Sushi, is cold is tasteless = OVERRATED..:luca:

Spuuky
12-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Spoken like someone who has never had sushi in Japan or on the west coast of the US.

Doughnuts in general are highly overrated, although Krispy Kreme is truly the worst. Although I'd probably rather have a doughnut than a "lunchable"...

black orb
12-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Spoken like someone who has never had sushi in Japan or on the west coast of the US.
>>> Yeah, i guess they serve hot sushi in those places..:luca:

Madame Adequate
12-30-2014, 01:07 AM

Doughnuts in general are highly overrated

Pizzas are the most overrated food ever.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA no

Spuuky
12-30-2014, 01:40 AM
>>> Yeah, i guess they serve hot sushi in those places..:luca:Ah, so your claim is that all cold foods are bad. I see.

Mirage
12-30-2014, 03:56 AM
yeah I can't stand cold foods. I had some sliced bread yesterday and it was awful

Ergroilnin
12-30-2014, 06:22 AM

Did you ever have a high quality sushi? I mean obviously sushi isn't for everyone and I thought it was overrated as well before I tasted fresh sushi from Japanese sushi master in classy restaurant. From then I love me some sushi occasionally but I never eat the cheap 'uns anymore, just the good but expensive ones (note that I am from middle Europe, high quality and fresh fishes are really expensive here everywhere so in coast countries good sushi doesn't really have to be expensive as much)

Rocket Edge
12-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Cake's, puddings, things like that - don't get the fascination.

maybee
12-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Bacon. The internet needs to smurfing get over bacon. It's fine and all, but damn, shut up.

This. Same with pizza, chicken nuggets and just basically Mc Donalds. The internet treats those foods like gods.

Yellow_Magic
12-30-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't get the appeal of ice cream, to be honest...

Shorty
12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't get the appeal of ice cream, to be honest...

GET HIM

http://blog.coyoteproductions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/torchMob.jpg

black orb
12-30-2014, 05:54 PM
>>> Looks like the only way to eat proper sushi is going to Japan or find a world class chef to prepare it, not worth my time..:luca:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Well, sushi is just like everything else, really. There is levels of goodness to it.

I'm not a fan mediocre sushi myself. And I will agree that mediocre sushi is overrated. Anybody who thinks grocery store sushi is good is ridiculous. It is edible, but it isn't good. Sushi is really really good when well prepared. Best sushi I ever had was from a world renown sushi chef in Okinawa. Yoshihachi's if anyone ever makes it to Okinawa.

Anyways. Overrated food. Fucking cake.

Unless it is cheesecake.

Shiny
12-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Or at Nobu in NY. MMmm

Also saying cake is overated means you've never had a proper cake and I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems, but cake has never been one.

And ice cream not getting the appeal? Are you people for real? I'm lactose intolerant and even I love ice cream although I now opt for frozen yogurt as it doesn't upset my tummy.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Craft beers that have just gone off the deep end with the amount of hops.

I like PAs and IPAs, and I like a really hoppy beer. It's just that sometimes I can't find specialty beers that aren't ridiculously hoppy when I go to a restaurant/pub/store unless I opt for a dark beer like a stout or a porter.

I think crafters going overboard on the hops alienates a lot of people from trying different beers, convinces people that all beers have to be bitter, helps them cover up for lack of subtlety in flavors.

"Hey Alice, did you remember to add the orange peel?"

"I dunno, smurf it. Just dump another 5lb bag of hops in there and call it good."

"Okay!"

I think the most bitter a person can taste is somewhere like 55-65 IBUs (International Bitterness Units), and I know there have to be tons of craft beers that are way above that. That's all well and good. It's like those insane hot sauces. Lots of people like them and should be able to enjoy them.

I just think crafters are leaving a lot on the table when it comes to variety and flavor, and should also focus on some other aspects of their brews. I know the bitterness chases Pumpkin away from most of my beers she tries. There's a potential market gone. Bad business in the least.

/rant

Iceglow
01-08-2015, 05:46 PM
The cold cuts in Lunchables are overly processed sandwich meats. Try doing cold cuts with crackers, cheese and fruit with proper cold meats. Hell yeah! I never got the Lunchables thing being awesome. I did however, keep a box of Ritz or Tuc crackers in the cupboard when in college so I always had the ingredients to do cold cuts, cheese, crackers and fruit.

Over rated food in my opinion?

Macaroni Cheese. It's just not that damn good the cheese sauce tastes floury.

theundeadhero
01-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Raw tomatoes. Keep that mushy grossness away from me.

Ergroilnin
01-09-2015, 09:11 AM
What about cherry tomatoes?

chionos
01-09-2015, 09:58 AM
I'll answer for him: cherry tomatoes are the shit.

I don't know who mentioned cake, but I'll second that one. Now, to be fair, cake is kind of a wide spectrum of foods, and there are a few types of cake I'll eat, but for the most part I'd rather starve than eat cake.

Leigh
01-10-2015, 05:15 PM
English Christmas Dinner

theundeadhero
01-11-2015, 01:25 AM
To rephrase, cherry tomatoes are shit, yes.