PDA

View Full Version : Onions

Loony BoB
12-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I appreciate onions and what they do for food. What I never appreciate is why people seem to have some inability to dice them properly so they don't become long stringy bits in the middle of my otherwise glorious food. This happens a lot in stir fry in particular, and any kind of thing that is cooked in a pot. I don't mind it so much in the middle of a salad if it's appropriate for the salad (eg. in a burger) but dang, people need to learn to dice onion when cookin' my chili con carne.

Discuss onions in general.

Pike
12-18-2014, 05:11 PM
I like onion rings...

...that is the only time I like onions

Shorty
12-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I love onions. All of the onions, all of the time. I would sit and eat caramelized onions with nothing else because they are so good. With chicken, with steak, with other vegetables, with potatoes, with burgers, with fried brussels sprouts, with scrambled eggs, with seasoned potatoes, as onion rings. Onions add flavor and wonder to everything.

Raw onions not so much, but not terribly opposed when they are on hot dogs or burgers.

Pumpkin
12-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I'll only eat food with onions if I can't taste the onions. Usually that means stuff like chili and stew. If I can taste the onion it is no good because I HATE onions. Least favourite food probably

I do like funyuns though, because apparently my brain decided not to taste the onion in it even though its supposed to taste like onion. And sour cream and onion chips are my favourite kind of chip. But again, can't taste the onion in it so there you go

Loony BoB
12-18-2014, 05:29 PM
I'll only eat food with onions if I can't taste the onions. Usually that means stuff like chili and stew. If I can taste the onion it is no good because I HATE onions. Least favourite food probably

I do like funyuns though, because apparently my brain decided not to taste the onion in it even though its supposed to taste like onion. And sour cream and onion chips are my favourite kind of chip. But again, can't taste the onion in it so there you go
Is it the taste or is it the texture? The texture always bugs me the most, which is why I dislike it when they aren't diced. I mean, I like onions in some of my McDonalds burgers but they are often diced extra fine so you just don't really notice there is onion there at all.

Shorty
12-18-2014, 05:30 PM
If you don't notice the onion there at all, what's the point of having it?

Pumpkin
12-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Because other people make food and do like onions in it? And no, its not just the texture. It can be totally broken down, but if I can taste it, it just tastes awful to me.

You know that eye burning crying feeling when some people chop onions? Its like that but on my tongue. Its horrible

Loony BoB
12-18-2014, 05:32 PM
If you don't notice the onion there at all, what's the point of having it?
What I meant when I said that is that you don't notice there are onions there at all without checking, but they do still add to the flavour. It's like... you don't know exactly what you're having in some foods that require a lot of ingredients if you were eating it blind. But sometimes the texture really gives it away more than the flavour does. I find that onions have a terrible texture but a good flavour, although often I don't realise that there is onion if it's well diced, but I'd certainly notice there is a change in flavour if the onion were absent. I hope that makes sense. x_x

sharkythesharkdogg
12-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Onions, shallots, leeks, chives, scallions, etc. I like 'em all.

Mirage
12-18-2014, 08:19 PM
... there are people who don't dice their onions?

chionos
12-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I love onions. All of the onions, all of the time. I would sit and eat caramelized onions with nothing else because they are so good. With chicken, with steak, with other vegetables, with potatoes, with burgers, with fried brussels sprouts, with scrambled eggs, with seasoned potatoes, as onion rings. Onions add flavor and wonder to everything.

Yep, yep. Good with everything.

Sauteed onions, mushrooms, and peppers is the absolute best.

Bubba
12-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Raw onion is far too overpowering and kills the taste of any food that comes with it. Any type of cooked onion though is lovely except when it's really, really thick.

Long, stringy onions are just a bit awkward so I prefer mine diced to short chunks.

Ayen
12-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Onions and my stomach don't get along. My stomach placed a restraining order on all onions. They're not allowed within thirty yards of me.

Shorty
12-19-2014, 01:29 PM
I keep wondering what the hell is up with people complaining about stringy onions because I have never had that problem, and then I remembered the I almost exclusively use red onions and that they are superior in every way.

Loony BoB
12-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah, red onion is an altogether different thing, although it's probably still possible to get stringy red onion... maybe? Dunno. The only thing I regularly have red onion on is certain kinds of pizza you can get in the supermarket.

Shorty
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
They are much sweeter and have a better flavor than regular yellow of white onions.

Shauna
12-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Red onion is amazing. But then I enjoy all onions.

noxious.sunshine
12-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Onions are an absolute staple in my pantry. I use them in literally everything. I love them.

My dad got me into this recently: Get a block of sharp cheddar cheese & a yellow or Vidalia onion and some beer. Slice off a medium-sized thick slice of cheese, a thin slice of onion, layer, and eat. Chase with beer.

It's so fucking yummy y'all ..... But your shit is gonna be extra stinky the next day.

Shorty
12-19-2014, 03:51 PM
I thought you were leading to cooking the onion in beer. That would be awesome.

fat_moogle
12-19-2014, 03:52 PM
I enjoy all onions.
^ Ditto.

Cheese and onion sandwiches with salad cream...AMAZING.

Shauna
12-19-2014, 04:04 PM

I feel like onion rings in beer batter is a thing.

Shorty
12-19-2014, 04:06 PM
It is, and they are delicious.

Bubba
12-19-2014, 04:23 PM

Loony BoB
12-19-2014, 11:11 PM
[quote=my brain]What the hell does the Tonbe-- oh wait that's his sig.[/qutoe]

Sephex
12-20-2014, 02:53 AM
I don't like them because they overtake whatever you throw them on. At least for me, if onions are thrown in something, I basically just taste the onion with a subtle taste of whatever else I am eating with it.

One time my dad had a bit of an onion left over when he was preparing himself something. At the same time, my mom was cooking me tacos while I was working on something at their house. So he chopped it up and threw it in the taco meat while he knew it was cooking. As a result, the taco meat tasted terrible. My mom uses a special mix along with natural spices that makes them very tasty. The small amount of onion thrown in basically made them taste like my mom just threw in plain, cheap hamburger meat and called it a day.

MY DAD RUINED MY MOM'S TASTY TACOS!!!!!

I'm not sorry.

noxious.sunshine
12-20-2014, 03:07 AM

I do make sauteed onions and mushrooms in butter & add beer to it. That's a pretty regular thing. :D

But the onion/cheddar/beer combo is just awesome .

fire_of_avalon
12-20-2014, 11:30 PM
I hate onions, but we also have this bizarre relationship in which I will tolerate them in chilis and stews and lots of other good foods IF they are diced super fine and sweating in a flavorful fat like olive oil or butter.

The reason people who hate onions can tolerate onions in stews and such is because the long cooking time and the sweating or sauteeing of the onion beforehand makes the flavor much milder. Onion flavor isn't so bad, but the sharp bite and aroma of raw or chunky onions kills me, along with the horrible texture.

I like the greenest part of a green onion, though. And chives. And I love garlic. I love garlic so much.

Kalevala
12-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Onions are an absolute staple in my pantry. I use them in literally everything. I love them.

This is pretty close to the truth for me as well. I understand the dislike so many people have for them, but the right amount can add a lot to certain recipes.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-21-2014, 04:19 AM
Onions are fucking great.

Also. Walla Walla sweet onions are the best onions in the world.

Dat Matt
12-21-2014, 01:36 PM
I love onions. The smell you get from cooking them is amazing.

The taste though. Not so much. I order Take Away curry and request that no onion be added to the mix because it's too crunchy and overpowers everything else. When I do cook with them, I reduce them down to nothing.

chionos
12-22-2014, 06:31 PM
The worst is when they're cooked and they're crunchy but slimy soft at the same time. *shudder*

No no no, that's the absolute best time to eat onions. Such luxurious juxtaposition of tastes and textures. You're missing out miss Poo!

sharkythesharkdogg
12-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Someone already mentioned Vidalia onions, but for people who like a bit of onion but think they're too strong, they might still be worth a try. At least cooked. They are a much more mild flavor even raw. Many people describe them as sweet.

As far as the strongest onion, I always though red/purple onions had the hardest bite and attacked my eyes the most. I've always considered yellow onions, and even white, to be the more mild variants. /shrug

Shiny
12-22-2014, 08:13 PM
I like onions but they hurt my stomach and they make breath smell terrible, so I try to stay clear of them. Funyuns are where it's at though.