PDA

View Full Version : Steam Christmas

Ergroilnin
12-19-2014, 03:28 PM
So it's that time of year again. Almighty lord that saved us from depths of hell, the god Gaben wants his sacrifice again. And that is all our money!

http://media.giphy.com/media/KWSh4HNArxx2o/giphy.gif

What are your strategies for surviving this time with the least possible casualities? Do you have your eyes set on some games in particular? What is your limit this year (that you will most likely break anyway)?

As for me, I am pretty broke ever since I started college and I have tons of games I hadn't played yet so I am not really going to go on buying spree this time around. I have almost 10 euros on my steam wallet from the game cards so I am setting that for my limit. The only thing I really want to go on sale and want to buy isn't even really a game - Influent namely Spanish version since I started to learn Spanish this semester and I need to broaden my vocabulary in some fun way.

Well, discuss!

Freya
12-19-2014, 03:31 PM
I need to stay away. I can't play most games yet I still buy stuff :(

Slothy
12-19-2014, 04:01 PM
My strategy is simple. It's called not having money.

Ergroilnin
12-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Well my first fail this sales. Had to buy the Age of Mythologies: Extended version at 7 euros (75% sale) and I am not even mad, I love AoM.

Ayen
12-21-2014, 06:55 PM
If I have any money to spare after Christmas Shopping I'll be purchasing Outlast and that's it. Really depends what I get on Christmas Day.

Aulayna
12-21-2014, 07:07 PM
I have some things on my wishlist, and well, it's Christmas soon.

Bolivar
12-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Hey can any EoFFers recommend Might & Magic X? It's on my wish list and looks like they stealth-slashed the price 75%.

Pete for President
12-22-2014, 02:57 AM
So far all I bought is Bastion for -60%.

Spuuky
12-22-2014, 03:54 AM
Hey can any EoFFers recommend Might & Magic X? It's on my wish list and looks like they stealth-slashed the price 75%.I haven't bought it yet. Have you played Legend of Grimrock?

The Man
12-22-2014, 03:56 AM

This.

Bolivar
12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Hey can any EoFFers recommend Might & Magic X? It's on my wish list and looks like they stealth-slashed the price 75%.I haven't bought it yet. Have you played Legend of Grimrock?

No although the first one's on my wish list also. Any consensus on which (or LoG2) is better? The closest I've played is Japanese stuff like Etrian Odyssey or Shining in the Darkness.

Vyk
12-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Watch ProJared's review of Grimrock 2. I didn't get the impression the games were related, story-wise. And it sounds like they vastly improved with the sequel. Which is probably saying a lot, because the original Grimrock was really loved by old-school vets and fans of dungeon crawler puzzle games

Unfortunately I know nothing about most of the M&M series, so I can't help you there. But I've always been intrigued by the Grimrock games. So there's that at least. Sorry I don't have any firsthand experience though

Spuuky
12-22-2014, 04:52 PM

No although the first one's on my wish list also. Any consensus on which (or LoG2) is better? The closest I've played is Japanese stuff like Etrian Odyssey or Shining in the Darkness.Send me a message on Steam and I will give you a spare copy of LoG.

Pike
12-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Me neither, really, but I prioritize Steam sales above just about anything else in my budget.

Not remotely ashamed to drop my hard-earned freelancing money on Steam sales. I look forward to these for months :D

Pete for President
12-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Awesomenauts is 1 dollar. Pike is a fan.

Pike
12-23-2014, 06:33 AM
If it's still a buck then it's indeed good stuff! :) I posted a video about it in my Steam Let's Play thread.

Ergroilnin
12-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Weeell... I failed myself again. I bought the South Park: The stick of Truth today. I really wanted that game and with 66% discount sitting at around 13.5 euros I couldn't resist.

It's downloading as I write and I can't wait to play it!

Vyk
12-26-2014, 08:26 AM
That's not a fail. I paid full price for that game at launch, and I loved it. If you enjoy the series, its about the only game that lives up to it :]

Ergroilnin
12-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Oh man that was so... so friggin awesome! I finished the game in one sitting, no game has done that for me in last few years. Sure it was only like 12 hours for the main story + around 1/3 to 1/2 of extra content but still...

It really did felt like a long awesome South Park episode, can't go wrong with that. There is too much of awesomeness to describe it. Definitely going to get all the achievements in this game, gotta hear and see all that extra stuff.

Vyk
12-27-2014, 03:22 AM
Whoa, that is awesome. Glad to hear it turned out to be a winner for you as well. I loved it, but I savoured it too much for too long and ended up burning myself out on it. I drew everything out to like 20+ hours and ended up getting distracted by other games and never got around to beating it. But it was glorious while it lasted~

The Man
12-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Despite not having money I wound up being suckered by this.

Civilization V: The Complete Edition (http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3172/Civilization-V-The-Complete-Edition/) for $9.99

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/342/129969639840.gif

Ayen
12-27-2014, 08:17 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/342/129969639840.gif

Stealing.

Aerith's Knight
12-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Man, the sales have been so disappointing this christmas. I've yet to see one good sale on the frontpage that hasn't been done 3 times already in other sales.

Psychotic
12-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Bought I am Bread, fuck yes I am now bread.

Aerith's Knight
12-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Bought I am Bread, smurf yes I am now bread.

I prefer bread slices.

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/270/138646-yandere_large.jpg

Ayen
12-28-2014, 08:10 PM
*squeals* Outlast is only $9.99.

Pike
12-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Man, the sales have been so disappointing this christmas. I've yet to see one good sale on the frontpage that hasn't been done 3 times already in other sales.

I'm seeing a lot of good stuff actually.

I feel like the reason why you start to think the sales suck, as time goes on, is largely because, well, you've already got everything! I'm still seeing a lot I need, though, personally...

Vyk
12-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Yeah, there's not really a lot I need (thank God). So there wasn't a whole lot I felt worth spending my money on. At least at my price range. I didn't want to spend more than like 10 dollars. I'd get like the Saints Row IV package, but that never went below like $14 so I held off for now, and I don't need any of the big budget titles like Bioshock or Tomb Raider. And most of the other stuff I own, or just couldn't justify buying based on my current mood

BUT! There are still a hand full of things that perk my interest, and I've started doing obscure searching for random indie titles and whatnot and found a few potential purchases, and I don't think their sale prices ever got any steeper than what they are now, so I haven't missed out on anything just yet. I'll probably make a couple of purchases before the whole thing ends

The Fall is really tempting

Spuuky
12-29-2014, 06:54 AM
I'd get like the Saints Row IV package, but that never went below like $14 so I held off for nowActually it went to $7.50 for the "Game of the Century" edition. Maybe it will again in the encore.

The Fall (the Deus Ex game) sucks.

Night Fury
12-29-2014, 07:21 AM
Well my first fail this sales. Had to buy the Age of Mythologies: Extended version at 7 euros (75% sale) and I am not even mad, I love AoM.

Ahhhh, Pheesh told me to check out the Steam Sale this year and I've been wanting to pick this up for ages... Goddamnit!!!!

EDIT: Yaaaaaasssss. Just got Age of Mythology bundle. Got AoE II:HD, AoE III, AoM:Ex, Rise of Nations. Yaaaaaassssssssss

Aerith's Knight
12-29-2014, 11:35 AM

I'm seeing a lot of good stuff actually.

I feel like the reason why you start to think the sales suck, as time goes on, is largely because, well, you've already got everything! I'm still seeing a lot I need, though, personally...

I suppose this could be true. I've bought a lot of stuff in other sales already.

Still, looking at today: Dishonored, Tomb Raidor, AoEII, have ALL been in sales better or equal outside of christmas sales, which are supposed to be the best.

And really, -33%? Divinity is 6 months old, I expected at least -50%.

No, I think this is a combination of 50% of the games which are as you said, good, but done before. And 50% titles for which either the sale or the title is trout. I mean, there is a -25% sale on the front page for an indie game. No. Just no.

And I mean sure, they don't have to put it on sale, no obligation. But I don't have to buy it either, nor feel the slightest tendency to, which I thought was supposed to be the point of a sale.

Vyk
12-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I'd get like the Saints Row IV package, but that never went below like $14 so I held off for nowActually it went to $7.50 for the "Game of the Century" edition. Maybe it will again in the encore.

The Fall (the Deus Ex game) sucks.
Poop. Guess I actually missed a good one. But that game and package go on sale all the time, so I'm not super worried

But The Fall game I was speaking of is designed like Flashback, Out of This World/Another World (I forget its European name but I think that's it), Prince of Persia (original) where you walk around, solve puzzles, try to survive, etc. The story is you are a crash landed battle suit A.I. and your pilot inside is dying and you have enough autonomy to walk around and try to find help for him. It's really interesting

I did end up picking it up for 4.99. Got stuck a couple hours in though. I'll have to figure that out. But up until then I thoroughly enjoyed it and was actually surprised by the quality of gameplay and controls and voice acting

Edit: I also got the original Escpae Goat, and immediately beat in in like an hour. But it was only a dollar something, and well spent. That was a fun puzzle game. Now I'll have to acquire the second

And got Magicians & Looters. An indie metroidvania with weird 'tude. I got it because it was well regarded, and it looked to have really beautiful and fluid animations and stuff. I mistakenly presumed that spoke to the controls. Turns out its really stiff and floaty and just well animated lol Not terrible for an indie title, but I've played way better indie metroidvanias. Really glad I didn't pay full price

Levian
12-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Got:

Contrast
Bloody Trapland
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Brothers
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 3
Pop Cap Complete Pack
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
VVVVVV
Bloody Good Time
SpeedRunners
Damned
Anna
Monster Loves You
I Am Bread
The Marvellous Miss Take
DLC Quest

I'm a bit of a hoarder, I love steam sales.

Rez09
12-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Civilization V: The Complete Edition (http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3172/Civilization-V-The-Complete-Edition/) for $9.99

You interested in some multiplayer? I'm always looking for new people to play with. :D

I haven't been paying attention to the sales for reasons of, as Vivi22 said, being broke. I did pick up a few titles I was happy with, though -- I bought Plants vs. Zombies and Super Amazing Wagon Adventure for a friend, and Shadowrun Returns for myself. I was also gifted Bad Rats, Bleed, and Endless Legend, so I have some new stuff to try out as well. :D

Also, VVVVVV :omgomg:

Aerith's Knight
12-29-2014, 06:44 PM

You interested in some multiplayer? I'm always looking for new people to play with. :D

I haven't been paying attention to the sales for reasons of, as Vivi22 said, being broke. I did pick up a few titles I was happy with, though -- I bought Plants vs. Zombies and Super Amazing Wagon Adventure for a friend, and Shadowrun Returns for myself. I was also gifted Bad Rats, Bleed, and Endless Legend, so I have some new stuff to try out as well. :D

Also, VVVVVV :omgomg:

If you want to try Multiplayer, you should use JdH's Mod Manager with the NocheatingAI mod. Makes it much more fun and you can play 3v3 instead of 2 players vs 1 AI. Also, other mods make it more fun as well!

Rez09
12-29-2014, 06:51 PM
What do you mean, '3v3 instead of 2 players vs. 1 AI' ? I often play with 2 players against 4 AIs. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

That said, I'll have to try this manager. A friend of mine has been bugging me to find a way to use mods together, and this seems like the way to do it!

(I'm gonna get culture bombed by Vocaloids now. . . >_<)

Aerith's Knight
12-29-2014, 07:48 PM
What do you mean, '3v3 instead of 2 players vs. 1 AI' ? I often play with 2 players against 4 AIs. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

That said, I'll have to try this manager. A friend of mine has been bugging me to find a way to use mods together, and this seems like the way to do it!

I dunno man, but playing 1 player to 1 AI usually means you either have to go military or get spammed by 10.000 sudden cities without loss of happiness.

The AI smurfing cheats. Like a mothersmurfer. I find that there is no good endgame on huge maps with AI like that. Maybe on tiny maps, but not huge ones.

What I mean to say is that you can play 3v3 or 2v2 on a large or huge map, and they won't be infecting continents like malignant cancer.

Spuuky
12-30-2014, 06:36 PM
I finally bought something, Child of Light for $6 seemed like it would probably be worth it.

Ergroilnin
12-30-2014, 06:57 PM
I wanted that one too but I am going to get in my Vita eventually so I held off.

Shauna
12-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Tales from the Borderlands was on sale. whoops.

Spuuky
12-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Actually it went to $7.50 for the "Game of the Century" edition. Maybe it will again in the encore.Looks like it is.

Rez09
12-31-2014, 06:20 PM

I dunno man, but playing 1 player to 1 AI usually means you either have to go military or get spammed by 10.000 sudden cities without loss of happiness.

The AI smurfing cheats. Like a mothersmurfer. I find that there is no good endgame on huge maps with AI like that. Maybe on tiny maps, but not huge ones.

What I mean to say is that you can play 3v3 or 2v2 on a large or huge map, and they won't be infecting continents like malignant cancer.

Ahhhhhh, now that I fully understand. Alexander and Caesar, man.
Holy.
Crap.
._.

Also, I got Borderlands II as a late gift last night. :D

Vyk
12-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Actually it went to $7.50 for the "Game of the Century" edition. Maybe it will again in the encore.Looks like it is.
Thank you!

Caught it this time :]

Vyk
01-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Double post, just because

Took a gamble on a game that was suggested to me by Steam called How To Survive. Basically if you take something like DayZ or 7 Days to Die, and play it like Champions of Norrath or Diablo. 2 player overhead zombie survival with crafting and a "needs" mechanic that requires you to eat drink and sleep and you can craft makeshift armor and weapons. Oxygen tank shotgun for the win, yo lol. Probably not quite as much fun alone, but it is so much fun to play with the girlfriend. There's a story, and challenge modes, the voice acting isn't too shabby, and neither are the graphics. I'm legitimately impressed, and kinda sad I got it on sale. It totally deserved full price. And its one of the rare games that allows for local co-op on PC. But it's apparently available on like every console out there. Even WiiU. Anyone into that sort of thing, I highly suggest you look into it :3

Psychotic
01-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Thank you!

Caught it this time :]So did I, awesome. Got the entire Saints back catalogue. I have it for 360 but not all the DLC and not with mods available.

Does anyone else end up buying games then looking at their list like "The fuck? When did I buy this?"

Scotty_ffgamer
01-02-2015, 05:01 PM
I bought South Park: The Stick of Truth. I believe that was my only sale purchase :o

Vyk
01-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Does anyone else end up buying games then looking at their list like "The smurf? When did I buy this?"

Bundles used to do this to me, frequently. Unfortunately the last few batches of Humble Bundles were not all that interesting so I haven't participated in a long time. Though that's just the few surprises that show up on steam. My account on Humble Bundle's website still surprises me from time to time. It also doesn't help that on Steam, I have it only display the games I have installed. So whenever I switch back, there's a chance I'd long forgotten something I just hadn't installed

Ayen
01-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I went Steam crazy at the last minute. In addition to Left 4 Dead 2 that I bought a couple of days ago I got:

Dragon Age: Origins
Portal
Portal 2
Team Fortress 2 (Free)
The Wolf Among Us

And now I'm broke.

Pike
01-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Having remembered that there's five minutes left in the sale I decided to get Game of Thrones cause why not.