PDA

View Full Version : January Re-Read

Jinx
12-19-2014, 05:52 PM
I read The Lord of the Rings last January, and I'm planning on reading it again this January. This time I plan to start with The Hobbit and finish with The Silmarillion.

How many times have you read this series? Does this forum make you want to re-read it?

Pumpkin
12-19-2014, 05:58 PM
I read it once. I'm okay with that for now

Shorty
12-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I've read The Hobbit several times, the entire LotR series twice through, and have reread The Fellowship of the Rings several times over, but definitely not in the last eight or so years. I picked up The Hobbit in December of 2012, but became distracted and did not finish it.

Probably won't be joining this because I have a bazillion books I'm trying to get through and would rather focus on new material right now.

Shoeberto
12-19-2014, 06:38 PM
I guess I just have a hard time setting aside time for reading, because I just finished reading the trilogy about a week ago; that's with having started Fellowship around March, 2013, and reading them back-to-back with no other books in between.

It's alright, though. I feel like it gave me time to really absorb Tolkien's writing. Without a doubt he's one of my favorite authors now.

Psychotic
12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Why are you reading the Silmarillion last? It takes place before the other two :p

I think I've read LotR and the Hobbit three times, and the Silmarillion twice. Children of Hurin three times.

Jinx
12-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I was just sort of taking The Silmarillion on wherever. Do you think I should read it first?

Psychotic
12-19-2014, 06:59 PM
It's an easier book to read than LotR, for whatever that's worth. The difficulty is remembering all of the different characters with similar names.

Aerith's Knight
12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Read them all about 3 times now, I think. Maybe more.

Why are you reading the Silmarillion last? It takes place before the other two :p

I agree, it makes so much of the books easier to understand if you read it first. It's the history. Read it or you will not be part of the LOTR master race.

Sephex
12-20-2014, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure how I'd feel about January Jones being in the movies.

Kalevala
12-21-2014, 03:30 AM
This would be ideal, actually. I usually re-read this and A Christmas Carol every December, but Good Omens and a slew of other books have been distracting me.

I think a discussion-fuelled re-read thread would be lovely.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-21-2014, 04:23 AM
Alright. I am gonna do this.

It isn't a reread for me though. I could never get through any of them but the Hobbit.

Colonel Angus
12-21-2014, 04:51 AM
I've just read The Hobbit earlier this year.

Pike
12-21-2014, 11:44 PM
I've read The Hobbit maybe... once? I did enjoy it though and just haven't gotten around to a re-read.

I never did read LotR and honestly I'm not really interested in doing so. If I ever do it I think it will probably be because I "should" do so as a speculative fiction writer. You know, a history lesson of sorts.

Shoeberto
12-23-2014, 04:40 PM
I've read The Hobbit maybe... once? I did enjoy it though and just haven't gotten around to a re-read.

I never did read LotR and honestly I'm not really interested in doing so. If I ever do it I think it will probably be because I "should" do so as a speculative fiction writer. You know, a history lesson of sorts.
I mentioned it above, but I just finished a full read-through as an adult and found a lot of satisfaction in it. I had tried reading it as a teen and just didn't have the patience for it. Tolkien's prose is magnificent, so I agree it's probably valuable for that alone (not to say that you MUST read it as a writer, it's up to you). I liked it a lot more by slowly digesting it rather than just trying to blow through it, but ymmv.

Loony BoB
12-24-2014, 12:27 PM
I never make the time to read anymore. I have a book - which ends a series I've read for years - sitting next to me and I've not read a bit of it. I've had it there for about a year. Someday I'll get to it. I just never find the time because there are so many things I want to do and it's always just a couple of notches down the list in priority. Perhaps I'll re-read LotR someday, but having read it about 7-10 times I'm in no rush.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Only a few hours of drinking until I can start reading the Silmarillion.

Is it weird that this is what I am most excited about for the new year?