PDA

View Full Version : Is your all time favorite game a Final Fantasy game?

Pike
12-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Or do you pledge your undying love to something else?

Pumpkin
12-30-2014, 05:03 PM
It is. I think everyone knows what it is by now

Ayen
12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes.

Aulayna
12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Nope.

An FF game is close, but it's not top dog.

Shorty
12-30-2014, 05:26 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b9/0c/03/b90c036be02e799bf147c6e80f72065a.jpg

Yellow_Magic
12-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Nope! That honour belongs to:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Zone_of_the_Enders_-_The_Fist_of_Mars_Coverart.png

The Man
12-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Tie between FFVI and Super Metroid.

black orb
12-30-2014, 05:55 PM
>>> Is a rpg but not a FF game..:luca:

Fox
12-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Yup. Final Fantasy IX, all the way.

Pike
12-30-2014, 06:31 PM
The answer to my own question is no, because Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Morrowind, Deus Ex, Civ IV, Yars' Revenge, Banjo-Kazooie, Sonic 2, Dig-Dug, Yoshi's Island, etc all exist.

Bolivar
12-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Yep! On any given day, my favorite game is either FFVII, IX or X.

CZ11_Jakku
12-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Yes, Final Fantasy VII hands down!!!

Galuf
12-30-2014, 08:01 PM
My favourite game is Final Fantasy IX. However due to nostalgia Halo 2 comes close and pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of darkness/time

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-30-2014, 08:54 PM
No. Not even close.

escobert
12-30-2014, 09:39 PM
No and not even a top 5 at this point. Well maybe VII would squeak in the top 5 but that's it.

Spooniest
12-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Pac man baby

Dat Matt
12-30-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm undecided on what one, but a legend of zelda game is #1. Final Fantasy is my 3rd favorite series.

Carl the Llama
12-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Final Fantasy VII and Breath of Fire IV alternate between/share the top spot, depending on what I am playing at the time.

Pete for President
12-31-2014, 12:21 AM
DARK SOULS

Karifean
12-31-2014, 01:21 AM
"Other". Excluding visual novels, yes Final Fantasy games are my all time favorites, with FFX taking the lead.

Including visual novels however, it's a whole different story. Final Fantasy would barely make the Top 5, and depending on if I count sequels/franchises as one or not, it doesn't even make the Top 5 at all.

CimminyCricket
12-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Final Fantasy use to be my favorite game (a tie between VII-IX), but it hasn't held the top spot in quite some time. Disgaea is sharing the top spot with Mass Effect and SOTET.

metagloria
01-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Depending on how nostalgic I'm feeling versus how honest I'm feeling, my favorite game is either I or VII. The closest non-FF games are Chrono Trigger and Mega Man Legends.

Night Fury
01-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Nope

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120711195136/masseffect/images/7/73/ME2_Cover_Art.png

It was Final Fantasy VIII until I played this smurfing gem of a game.

VeloZer0
01-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Yes.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Fynn
01-01-2015, 03:51 PM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/xenoblade-chronicles/thumb/a/aa/Universe_IGN.jpg/450px-Universe_IGN.jpg

Shiva95
01-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Yes, for sure. There's nothing like FF games.

Wolf Kanno
01-01-2015, 08:23 PM
No, lately I don't even know if an FF is in my top five.

Vyk
01-01-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm trying to think what my top game would even be. Likely a BioWare game, but FFVI/VII are both really favored. My top list is all jumbled and has no order. It'd definitely include the KoTOR games and Xenogears. But I don't really have a favorite all-time game. So I guess the answer is no. Just depends on my mood and nostalgia levels

Rez09
01-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Nope, as much as I love FF6 I still can't decide if I like it more than Romancing SaGa 3, and I don't like either nearly as much as Sonic 2.

Sephiroth
01-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Yes.

If Final Fantasy VII is not fair because its power is too much, then Nier Gestalt.

Including visual novels however, it's a whole different story. Final Fantasy would barely make the Top 5, and depending on if I count sequels/franchises as one or not, it doesn't even make the Top 5 at all.

That's not allowed. One does not simply exclude Final Fantasy.

Pike
01-02-2015, 10:51 AM

That's not allowed. One does not simply exclude Final Fantasy.

I might put an FF in my top ten, but it would be close.

Shlup
01-03-2015, 10:36 AM
No. Not even close.

Yeah, I haven't particularly loved any FF game since SNES. The only RPGs that make my "favs" list are Zelda games.

Vyk
01-03-2015, 02:50 PM
It's really interesting that the community here is far from "OMG FINAL FANTASY IS TeH BESTEST!!1!" the way you tend to see if you venture into communities devoted to other games. Maybe I've just hit the wrong sites, but I ventured out to see what forums for Megami Tensei and Tales of series were like. And I came from a Shining Force community. And they are all extremely elitist and closed-minded from my experience and kinda missing out on some of the best parts of gaming culture as a whole

Fynn
01-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it was similar when I visited a Pokemon forum.

Guess our series just isn't good enough for us to stick to it like that :p

Vyk
01-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Humbled by one or two garbage releases.. lol That must make the Sonic the Hedgehog community a really awesome and welcoming bunch of people

Ayen
01-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Final Fantasy iz teh best series evar.

Fynn
01-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Humbled by one or two garbage releases.. lol That must make the Sonic the Hedgehog community a really awesome and welcoming bunch of people

Sonic has a fanbase? :onoes:

Scotty_ffgamer
01-03-2015, 05:54 PM
On some days, FFVIII is my favorite game. It was what got me into RPGs, and it's the game I feel like replaying the most. For the most part, it's not my favorite game though.

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2015, 08:10 PM
It's really interesting that the community here is far from "OMG FINAL FANTASY IS TeH BESTEST!!1!" the way you tend to see if you venture into communities devoted to other games. Maybe I've just hit the wrong sites, but I ventured out to see what forums for Megami Tensei and Tales of series were like. And I came from a Shining Force community. And they are all extremely elitist and closed-minded from my experience and kinda missing out on some of the best parts of gaming culture as a whole

I think it helps that FF's popularity has been around longer hitting a few generations during their most impressionable age and the fact the series can be separated easily into different eras. The MegaTen fanbase for instance really reminds me of the FF fanbase in the PS1 days with old school Persona fans whining about how P3 and P4 changed too much of the formula and made the series too popular with anime nerds who can't appreciate the series because they can't get into the less forgiving old school mechanics; or SMT fans who argue the franchise pretty much started on the PS2 which is the Golden Age and everything before was crap due it not being good enough for console release when that is actually a narrow elitist view about a franchise that has had a tumultuous history that involves problems concerning money and cultural value. I think it's the reason why I don't hang out in the forums of these sites too much because it's reminding of the old days when the FF community in-fighting was at its worst.

Tales and MegaTen only came to prominence in the fan community during the PS2/GameCube era whereas FF has had a community since the SNES era at least. I feel as a community we've all seen how each FF era brings in new fans and we don't really resist as much anymore, not to mention many of us are old enough now to take a more critical glance at our beloved games and see them for what they were: fun but flawed. I was surprised when I viewed a thread about FFVII in the Lifestream forum and found many of the forum being pretty critical of the game though in an endearing way instead of the typical "IT's TeH Besstsss GAEM EVAH!!!" that one would expect for a forum solely dedicated to one game. I feel the oldest FF fans have simply moved on and realized SE has moved the franchise too far to ever make a game to appease them and they have accepted that fact, I feel the early PS1 generation still longs for the series to move back to what they feel the roots are, but are slowly coming around to the older fans opinion. The newer generations are baffled why we even still discuss this stuff because the newer games are what brought them there in the first place so they don't see a problem.

Basically we're too old for this crap anymore and its only the younger generations that care. The older fans will still whine from time to time but it's half-hearted at best because they know it's all for naught.

Pike
01-03-2015, 08:48 PM

Yes, it's called DeviantArt.

Spooniest
01-03-2015, 10:56 PM
The MegaTen fanbase for instance really reminds me of the FF fanbase in the PS1 days with old school Persona fans whining about how P3 and P4 changed too much of the formula and made the series too popular with anime nerds who can't appreciate the series because they can't get into the less forgiving old school mechanics; or SMT fans who argue the franchise pretty much started on the PS2 which is the Golden Age and everything before was crap due it not being good enough for console release when that is actually a narrow elitist view about a franchise that has had a tumultuous history that involves problems concerning money and cultural value.

This sentence is almost 7 lines long...

But overall I agree with the post.

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2015, 10:59 PM
The MegaTen fanbase for instance really reminds me of the FF fanbase in the PS1 days with old school Persona fans whining about how P3 and P4 changed too much of the formula and made the series too popular with anime nerds who can't appreciate the series because they can't get into the less forgiving old school mechanics; or SMT fans who argue the franchise pretty much started on the PS2 which is the Golden Age and everything before was crap due it not being good enough for console release when that is actually a narrow elitist view about a franchise that has had a tumultuous history that involves problems concerning money and cultural value.

This sentence is almost 7 lines long...

But overall I agree with the post.

Hey, I'm just keeping the authenticity of their post style. :shifty:

Ayen
01-03-2015, 11:03 PM

Sonic has a fanbase. They're the people with the biggest motive to burn Sega to the ground.

Shauna
01-03-2015, 11:05 PM

Sonic has a fanbase. They're the people with the biggest motive to burn Sega to the ground.[/QUOTE]

More accurately, they're the ones who get stuck right into this:

http://www.extraguy.com/images/uploads/soniccyclesmallvt3.jpg

Moogles-Are-Awesome
01-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Yes, FFIX is my favorite video game. Quick question though, why does the fourth option exist?

Ayen
01-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Yes, FFIX is my favorite video game. Quick question though, why does the fourth option exist?

It's a joke option.

Omni-Odin
01-05-2015, 07:00 PM
First, I'd have to break down my favorite games of all time in no real order:

Final Fantasy VII
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy X
Assassin's Creed II
Uncharted 2
Super Mario World
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo II
Half-Life

Based off how many times I've played/can recall all the content from each game, I'll go Final Fantasy VII. Other contenders are definitely Ocarina of Time and Diablo II.

Electroshock Therapy
01-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Nope. It's either one of the Zelda or Mega Man Legends games. Final Fantasy, as a series, comes in third place for me. But it's still a special place.

Ayen
01-12-2015, 01:43 AM
First, I'd have to break down my favorite games of all time in no real order:

Final Fantasy VII
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy X
Assassin's Creed II
Uncharted 2
Super Mario World
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo II
Half-Life

Omni-Odin knows what's up.

chionos
01-12-2015, 04:02 AM
It used to be (Final Fantasy VI). I don't know if I can honestly claim that anymore, though. There's Half-Life, Bioshock, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls and several other series that have games which blow me away, and which I enjoy replaying more than any Final Fantasy.

Most of the Final Fantasy games that I love have a hold on me because of nostalgia, and if I'm honest with myself, I don't love them like I used to. I love the memory of them, but the games themselves don't hold up as well anymore. In fact, I might have given up on FF a long time ago if not for this site. (SE owes you some money, BoB, née Sean.)

Being able to talk to other people about the games on a regular basis has kept the nostalgia alive. I'll probably never love a game the way I loved Final Fantasy VI, but that doesn't make it my favorite here and now.

Lamia
01-12-2015, 05:48 AM
Yep. Final Fantasy VI.

Top 5:

FFVI
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean 3
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XII

Disappointed to see that so many consider FF passé. BioWare and Bethesda make fine RPGs, but they will never have the magic and creativity of a Final Fantasy game.

Bolivar
01-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Disappointed to see that so many consider FF passé. BioWare and Bethesda make fine RPGs, but they will never have the magic and creativity of a Final Fantasy game.

Agreed. I'm an Elder Scrolls junkie but I play them for different reasons than most games and Final Fantasy is in another galaxy when it comes to characters, music, and gameplay.

I've never seen the appeal in Bioware games and just couldn't stick with the ones I've actually tried.

Hannibal_Khan
01-12-2015, 06:47 PM
FFIX is definitely my favorite game of all time.

1. FFIX
2. Super Mario World & Super Mario Kart (i grew up w/ 3 brothers :D , great memories w/ mario)
3. LOZ: A link to the Past
4. Legend of Dragoon
5. Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Bandidos (snes)

Rocket Edge
01-16-2015, 02:18 AM
FF holds the somewhat bizarre feat of having my all time favourite & least favourite game of all time. XIII being the mess.

All time list:
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Dungeon Keeper 2
4. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
5. Call of Duty: World at War
6. Kingdom Hearts
7. Warzone 2100
8. Syphon Filter 2
9. Final Fantasy XII
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Couldn't stop at 5. ^^;