PDA

View Full Version : Charmander, Bulbasaur or Squirtle?

Pike
01-02-2015, 05:01 PM
There is of course only one correct answer here :greenie:

Aulayna
01-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Bulba. AKA Bossasaur.

Pumpkin
01-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Squirlte

Psychotic
01-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Bulbasaur every god damn time :colbert:

Ayen
01-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Charmander.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Squirtle. I always pick the water starter.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Charmander.

duh

Vćrn
01-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Bulbasaur is strong against all of Brock's and Misty's pokemon, and resistant to Surge's and Erika's, making it a very safe strategic choice against the first four gyms. By the time you reach any of the gyms that it will have a problem soloing, you will have had plenty of time to find different types of pokemon to cover its weak points.

But the correct answer is still Charmander, despite being at a terrible disadvantage against both of the first two gyms. Those two gyms cover all of Charmander's weaknesses. Once you've managed to defeat them, it's smooth sailing from then on.

Aulayna
01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Sorry but the answer is still Bulbasaur.

I have a thing for whips.

Disclaimer: I do not, actually, have a thing for whips. Before anyone gets any ideas. Yes. You Paul.

Ayen
01-02-2015, 05:41 PM
But the correct answer is still Charmander, despite being at a terrible disadvantage against both of the first two gyms. Those two gyms cover all of Charmander's weaknesses. Once you've managed to defeat them, it's smooth sailing from then on.

I never had a problem with the first two gym leaders by choosing Charmander. Charmander kicked Brock's ass, and by the time I got to Misty I already had a Pikachu in my corner.

Pike
01-02-2015, 05:45 PM
First gym is easy even if you pick Charmander because you can nab a Mankey right close to Brock's gym.

Jinx
01-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I like all three, if only for cuteness!

In order of cuteness:
Bulbasaur > Charmander > Squirtle

In order of usefulness:
Chamander > Squirtle >>>>>>>>>>>Bulbasaur

Pumpkin
01-02-2015, 06:14 PM
scotty is my only friend

Psychotic
01-02-2015, 06:15 PM
First gym is easy even if you pick Charmander because you can nab a Mankey right close to Brock's gym.No you can't :colbert:

Pike
01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
First gym is easy even if you pick Charmander because you can nab a Mankey right close to Brock's gym.No you can't :colbert:

Well you picked the wrong version then :doublecolbert:

Ergroilnin
01-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Pikachu. Yeah I like Yellow the most, sue me :grover:

Dat Matt
01-02-2015, 06:27 PM
He lives in route 22 which is left of Viridain City. Charmander also learns Metal Claw in more recent games which is strong against rocks.

Freya
01-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Charmander of course!

Sephiroth
01-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I recently defeated Brock with Charmander alone because apart from Tackle only that Charger attack is dangerous and that one is useless if you don't attack.

Ayen
01-02-2015, 06:57 PM

Well you picked the wrong version then :doublecolbert:

Red version for life.

Tavrobel
01-02-2015, 07:33 PM
You are all casuals with filthy casual reasoning.

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard have the highest Speed and Special, and therefore, the highest DPS in Generation I. It's the best for players who don't know what they're doing, because even in Generation I, Charmander can defeat Brock, simply because Onix's Special stat is so low, so Ember can kill it in five turns at level 9. Charmander only struggles with Misty, so the real question is, why haven't you caught a Pikachu (also an OP Pokemon)?

Squirtle is the best for non-glitched any% speedruns. This is because of its typing, which allows it to survive the Misty encounter with ease, which is something the Nidoking runners struggle with and where most Red/Blue speedruns die. Squirtle can learn Mega Punch and Mega Kick, giving it access to some very high base power moves. Even in Nidoking runs, Squirtle is the starter of choice (because it makes cutscenes go faster).

Bulbasaur is currently the best starter for catch-'em-all 100% speedruns. Charmander, Squirtle, and some other version Pokemon are easier/more strategic to generate with a fully optimized name for the Old Man glitch. It's the fastest overall until you can generate a level 100 Gengar in Mt. Moon, so Bulbasaur's traditional weaknesses (typing, poor moveset) don't show.

Sephiroth
01-02-2015, 09:08 PM
... so the real question is, why haven't you caught a Pikachu (also an OP Pokemon)?

No, the real question is why don't you have Gyarados when fighting Misty. You can get a Magikarp early and using it in random battles, the Moon Mountain and North of Cerulean City results in it evolving early enough making the Gym Battle easy enough and giving you a Pokémon you can use for the rest of the game. Gyarados is not even threatened by Lt. Surge because Lt. Surge is beaten by a single Dugtrio.

Shiny
01-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Squirtle is the only one who had sense enough to get sunglasses. For generation 1 I owned Red, Blue, and Yellow. Red was the first I played and I played it entirely with a Squirtle evolved in to a Blastoise. I literally just used Blastoise eventhough I had other Pokemon, it just wasn't necessary. I one hit KOed pretty much everything even other water. It was pretty hilarious. I am pretty much supreme with water Pokemon. For Gold, Diamond, X, and Alpha Sapphire my strongest Pokemon were water Pokemon. It's meant to be.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/attachments/f226/63354d1333776752-lt-weekly-poll-3-best-kanto-starter-squirtleglasses.jpg
"Fuck y'all mean blasting off at the speed of light? BLAST THIS!"

SwordFox
01-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Squirtle 'cos Blastoise is awesome.

Vermachtnis
01-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Bulbasaur's the cutest.

Spooniest
01-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Without knowing anything about Pokemon or anything like that, I'm going to say

Charmander.

Though Meowth is my favorite of course

Shlup
01-03-2015, 01:22 AM
I am just sick to death of charmander.

WildRaubtier
01-03-2015, 01:25 AM
if ur american and u dont say squirtle then ur a terrorist becuz blastoise is the only pokemon to exercise his 2nd amendment rights

bulbasaur is the worst becuz it gets slaughtered by zubats in mt moon lmao

Pike
01-03-2015, 01:44 AM

why do you hate me

Tavrobel
01-03-2015, 05:21 AM
No, the real question is why don't you have Gyarados when fighting Misty. You can get a Magikarp early and using it in random battles, the Moon Mountain and North of Cerulean City results in it evolving early enough making the Gym Battle easy enough and giving you a Pokémon you can use for the rest of the game. Gyarados is not even threatened by Lt. Surge because Lt. Surge is beaten by a single Dugtrio.

I haven't caught a Gyarados because I caught a Pikachu. Pikachu is not threatened by Misty's or Surge's gyms at all. Gyarados learns Bite at level 20, which makes it outclassed in Generation I by Squirtle. I don't even need to catch a Dugtrio. Gyarados' Special is still really bad in Gen I, so the best move that it learns is Strength, not counting Hyper Beam.

Even further than that, you don't even mention that instead of Trainer-Fly to get Gengar with Night Shade, you can Trainer-Fly yourself a level 100 Gyarados with Dragon Rage in Mt. Moon. So instead of getting the useful Gyarados, you got the useless Gyarados.

Have you played this game before?

I A M S U R R O U N D E D B Y C A S U A L B O Y S , B O Y S

No reasonable person could ever be expected to know any of this.

Night Fury
01-03-2015, 05:27 AM
Bulbasaur for life.

Spooniest
01-03-2015, 05:41 AM

I haven't caught a Gyarados because I caught a Pikachu. Pikachu is not threatened by Misty's or Surge's gyms at all. Gyarados learns Bite at level 20, which makes it outclassed in Generation I by Squirtle. I don't even need to catch a Dugtrio. Gyarados' Special is still really bad in Gen I, so the best move that it learns is Strength, not counting Hyper Beam.

Even further than that, you don't even mention that instead of Trainer-Fly to get Gengar with Night Shade, you can Trainer-Fly yourself a level 100 Gyarados with Dragon Rage in Mt. Moon. So instead of getting the useful Gyarados, you got the useless Gyarados.

I A M S U R R O U N D E D B Y C A S U A L B O Y S , B O Y S

No reasonable person could ever be expected to know any of this.

I am gazing at this post as though staring into the abyss of Pokemon fandom with a bewilderment and terror previously unknown to my humours.

Sephex
01-03-2015, 05:49 AM
Charmander because it evolves into my favorite Pokemon, Charizard.

Dat Matt
01-03-2015, 11:02 AM
@Sephiroth - It goes stupid deep through glitches. Pokemon yellow can be finished in 0:00 minutes that way.

Pike
01-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I honestly can't tell if Tav is being serious or not

blackmage_nuke
01-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Bulbasaur is easy mode, Squirtle is normal, Charmander is hard.

Charmander every time on red version so there was the added difficulty of scouring the viridian forest for a Caterpie to evolve into a Butterfree with Confusion

Shlup
01-03-2015, 01:09 PM

why do you hate me

Mostly you just have terrible taste. Don't worry, I know it's not your fault.

Ayen
01-03-2015, 03:30 PM

And Charmander is sick to death of you!

Sephiroth
01-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Sorry, haven't bothered reading your stuff once you started mentioning internet crap and glitches. Not impressed by what the TCGers call netdecking. Not impressed by a so called glitchless run that still uses glitches like the Pokédoll error and also not impressed by "catching a Gyarados" which is not even possible in Pokémon Red/Blue without a glitch or a cheating device as Gyarados can be caught the earliest in Pokémon Yellow's Fuchsia City.

GETAWAYCOPYANDPASTERSBACKTOSEREBIIWITHYOU

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2015, 10:52 PM
All I can say is that this hit pretty close to home (http://www.vgcats.com/super/?strip_id=23).

Ayen
01-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Smurf off, Brock! You have no eyes.

Slothy
01-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Charmander 4 lyfe.

Rez09
01-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Squirtle all the way. Charmander is cute and all, and Bellyzard is, like, my favorite thing ever, but I lurv turtle pokemanz sooooooo much, so it's an easy pick for me. :)

Masamunemaster
01-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Most people look at it in the difficulty stand point. I always go with Bulbasaur because I love him, he's so cute and awesome.

Rin Heartilly
01-20-2015, 06:32 AM
My first ever starter was Squirtle :3 But I almost always choose charmander every other time. I like dragons, even though charizard is a dragon but not classified as one (charizard x doesn't count shhh) although Alteria and Vibrava are, say whuuuuut?

With that being said, I play pokemon competitively and actually understood everything Tav said, so I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I don't get much sunlight from the outdoors :<

Tyson
01-20-2015, 07:49 AM
I used to always choose Squirtle growing up, simply because the first and second gyms were rock and water types :P I was lazy like that.

As an adult I pretty much always go for the fire types tho.

Fynn
01-20-2015, 08:35 AM
I always go with the fire starter.

Always.