PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU pronounce Cait Sith?

Pike
12-19-2014, 10:53 PM
I know how it's supposed to be pronounced, aka all gaelic and shit, but how do YOU pronounce it?

Psychotic
12-19-2014, 11:06 PM
I'd probably say "kate sith" but for years I'd call him "cat sith". 'cause, y'know, he's a cat.

Colonel Angus
12-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Kate Sith.

Jinx
12-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Cate Sith.

Pumpkin
12-20-2014, 12:33 AM
Kate Sith

Hipster Username
12-20-2014, 01:38 AM
The Kate Sith club and the Cocoabo club accept all members

Spooniest
12-20-2014, 01:52 AM
I covered my eyes, pushed the "End" key on the keyboard, and present you with

Cate (as in Blanchett) Sith (as in the bad guys from Star Wars).

Let's see how I stacked up.

Huh.

I don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but we all seem to agree it's the short A and the short I.

Kite Scythe sounds like an alias for Magus from Chrono Trigger.

Sephex
12-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Kefuffle Van Brolowagon.

Night Fury
12-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Douchelord

Spooniest
12-20-2014, 03:07 AM
Load Strobe
Tits Rockhard
Burret
Aerithsthsththsthsthshtht
Red Dog
Annoying Girl
Stray Cat
Wampire Bleh
#@$@#%ing Cid

Vyk
12-20-2014, 05:21 AM
This is one of those things where I disagree with how things are translated, even if they are not just from the Japanese. If they wanted English speakers to pronounce things a certain way, the translation should have been adapted to that pronunciation style. They should have done it with Tidus, Aerith, and apparently Cait Sith

Romanization and its equivalent are all retarded in this regard

Wolf Kanno
12-20-2014, 06:59 AM
I just call him Stray.

Ergroilnin
12-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I call him "No you cannot be in my team this playthrough too"

Sephiroth
12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Clowd
Airith (English th)
Teefah
Bearret (intented)/Bearray
Nahnahkee
Youffee
Cat Shee (intended)/Kate Sith (English th)
Sid
Vinsent
Zack
Seffe(e)roth (English th)
Djennesis (intended)/Gehnesis
Anjiel
Jehn(n)ohva
Hoejoe
Lukrezia
Roufehs

This is one of those things where I disagree with how things are translated, even if they are not just from the Japanese. If they wanted English speakers to pronounce things a certain way, the translation should have been adapted to that pronunciation style. They should have done it with Tidus, Aerith, and apparently Cait Sith

Romanization and its equivalent are all retarded in this regard

Cait Sith and Cat Sidhe are normal Western versions of Cat Shee. It means still exactly that. Aerith can never be written differently in Japanese and Tidus' writing would have taken away the meaning if Tida was not used. Still Tidus is meant. Normally we just need to take a look at the Japanese manuals and we know what was meant (Like Aerith, Cayenne and such).

Shiva95
12-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Kate Sith.

VeloZer0
12-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Normally we just need to take a look at the Japanese manuals and we know what was meant (Like Aerith, Cayenne and such).
I think you are assuming that your average fan cares way more than they actualy do. 99.99% of people are going to pronounce it as it is writen, so if they want it pronounced a certain way they should write in an appropriate manner.

Sephiroth
12-20-2014, 07:38 PM
And "the way it is written" is not automatically clear.

Denmark
12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
cat shit

Vyk
12-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Normally we just need to take a look at the Japanese manuals and we know what was meant (Like Aerith, Cayenne and such).
I think you are assuming that your average fan cares way more than they actualy do. 99.99% of people are going to pronounce it as it is writen, so if they want it pronounced a certain way they should write in an appropriate manner.
Exactly

Though supposedly Aerith was a mistake, but in regards to the others, Cait Sith and Tidus especially, this is exactly my train of thought. And the dumbest part was the fact that you could name Tidus. What was the point? He's not an avatar. He has a personality already set. Why not use his name in the game, the characters could have said it, and everything would have been fine, rather than surprising us with a new pronunciation years after the release when it's mentioned in another game

Sephiroth
12-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Exactly

Though supposedly Aerith was a mistake, but in regards to the others, Cait Sith and Tidus especially, this is exactly my train of thought. And the dumbest part was the fact that you could name Tidus. What was the point? He's not an avatar. He has a personality already set. Why not use his name in the game, the characters could have said it, and everything would have been fine, rather than surprising us with a new pronunciation years after the release when it's mentioned in another game

What is surprising about this pronounciation when his own voice actor even mentions him as Teedus in an interview that came with the first version of Final Fantasy X?

VeloZer0
12-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Like I said, most people just play the game and don't consider consuming extranous secondary media as an integral part of the experience.

fat_moogle
12-21-2014, 12:25 AM
There's more than one way to pronounce Cait Sith? Kate Sith. It's the only way. Any other way and you're really just overcomplicating things for overcomplicating things sake :p

Sephiroth
12-21-2014, 12:58 AM
There's more than one way to pronounce Cait Sith? Kate Sith. It's the only way. Any other way and you're really just overcomplicating things for overcomplicating things sake :p

And how do you pronounce "Sith"? The "th" has three different ways of being pronounced.

fat_moogle
12-21-2014, 01:14 AM

And how do you pronounce "Sith"? The "th" has three different ways of being pronounced.
Like "Sixth", without the X.

Sif, if you will. Now don't tell me you pronounce that as Sycthe or something :p

Sephiroth
12-21-2014, 01:20 AM

Like "Sixth", without the X.

Sif, if you will. Now don't tell me you pronounce that as Sycthe or something :p

I pronounced it like Aerith and Sephiroth until I noticed that is not meant. I always wondered when I saw the Japanese name Ketto Shi which does not say Shisu or Shito (yeah lol) or anything like it.

Vyk
12-21-2014, 06:52 AM
My Final Fantasy X didn't come with any interviews o.O What in the world. I don't remember extra content being on the game and there definitely wasn't an extra disc in the box. Are you talking about the second run with the international version or something? Or are you talking about the Japanese version? Or maybe I'm missing something..

Ayen
12-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Cake Sith.

Sephiroth
12-21-2014, 10:31 PM
My Final Fantasy X didn't come with any interviews o.O What in the world. I don't remember extra content being on the game and there definitely wasn't an extra disc in the box. Are you talking about the second run with the international version or something? Or are you talking about the Japanese version? Or maybe I'm missing something..

I was pretty sure it was the extra-disc with the Kingdom Hearts preview on it as well. I might confuse that however. The interview should be somewhere else then. But actually it should be that DVD because I cannot think of anything else.

Sephex
12-23-2014, 10:27 AM
All about that Bass Sith. I'm so topical. Yes, I already made a stupid joke in this thread, wanna fight about it?

Ayen
12-23-2014, 02:15 PM
All about that Bass Sith. I'm so topical. Yes, I already made a stupid joke in this thread, wanna fight about it?

Only if it involves trading cards and holographic monsters.