PDA

View Full Version : Have you played any Deus Ex games?

Pike
01-07-2015, 05:00 PM
And if not, why not? :mymelbert:

Ayen
01-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Nope. One of these days I should just make a "Top 11 Games I Never Played" list.

Why not? Because I haven't gotten around to it.

Pike
01-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Poll is supposed to be multiple choice. One sec while I bug someone to fix it :shifty:

I Took the Red Pill
01-07-2015, 05:19 PM
I've only played Human Revolution. I haven't been big on Single Player, story-driven campaigns in the past 5+ years, but HR sucked me right in. Despite some flaws (boss fights are terrible), one of my absolute favorite games in recent years.

And the soundtrack is really good and a great fit for the game's atmosphere. I throw on the main menu theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpTcZJJ-lm0) when I'm skateboarding around the city and I feel like a computer-hacking, throat-slitting, mechanically augmented badass.

edit: Not sure how I forgot to post this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Loony BoB
01-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Just Human Revolution. I mean to play the original but there are always other things I want to play, and the list is endless. Hopefully someday I'll find the time to do it all...

Pumpkin
01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Nope, doesn't really interest me

Formalhaut
01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Haven't played any of them. I've heard of them, but that's all. What's the general gameplay and story premise?

Psychotic
01-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Like everyone else, just HR!

Pike
01-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Well. I've played Deus Ex and Human Revolution. Both were fantastic but I definitely have to give the edge to the original Deus Ex, I think it was better for being super stealthy. Also it had the better music (HR had great music too but the original DE, just daaaamnn it's so good.)

I did attempt to play Invisible War a few times but I cannot get it to run on my computer at all, so... alas.

Shauna
01-07-2015, 05:58 PM
I have played the first one for approx 10 minutes. I am absolutely atrocious at it.

Fox
01-07-2015, 06:05 PM
6j8jMn2Kcgs

I've played all the Deus Ex games except The Fall.

I love them to bits. Human Revolution is my favourite, even though the original did a lot of stuff better than it, because the original has aged poorly. The moment to moment stealthy/shooty mechanics of HR were far more interesting, and of course it was much prettier. Both fantastic games though.

Invisible War is decent as well, and only really gets derision because of comparisons to the other two. If Invisible Storm came out without the original to compare it to, it would have been one of the best games of its time.

Deus Ex and DXHR are two of the best games of all time. Stealth, gunplay, interesting RPG elements, incredible freedom both in terms of game mechanics and narrative, and really interesting stories to boot. To give those of you who don't know an example, in the original Deus Ex there is a cutscene where you talk to a dude and an agent sneaks in to murder him. Only if you happen to have left a proximity mine in the corridor, you can kill the agent as they sneak in. This permanently kills the agent and saves the dude that was going to be assassinated.

The whole game is filled with stuff like this. Want to get into a secure facility? Sneak in through the vents! Or hack a computer! Or blow the doors off with a rocket launcher! Or set some remote mines on the wall and jump up them as if you were rock climbing and get over the wall! These are games that allow you to play in any number of interesting ways.

Crop
01-07-2015, 10:13 PM
I've played them all except The Fall, and it doesn't really interest me anyway.

Ranked for me is -

1. Deus Ex
2. Human Revolution
3. Invisible War

The first game is a masterpiece and is probably my 3rd favourite game of all time. I keep hearing that it's aged fairly badly, but I still play through every single year and have done for the last 10 years, and will do for the next 10 years.

I've gone through the game in every possible way (even buying that woman in the club 4000 credits worth of drinks...just because), and it still doesn't get old. Fox has pretty much covered all the fine points that make the game so great, so look one post up.

Invisible War was such a huge disappointment to me, and the rest of the world I think. That's all I have to say about that one.

HR was a step back into the light. It's one of my favourite games for the PS3, and Jensen is almost as awesome as JC. I'd even argue that the soundtrack is better than the original.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next main entry in the series. As for now? Time to go play some Deus Ex I think.

Madame Adequate
01-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Played the three main ones extensively, especially the first and HR. IW is not a bad game, it's just in between two much better games; HR is absolutely superb, and the original Deus Ex is an all-time classic that ranks alongside games like X-Com, SMAC, and Morrowind as one of the greatest ever made.

It is an absolutely magical series.

escobert
01-07-2015, 11:18 PM
And if not, why not? :mymelbert:

cba

Slothy
01-07-2015, 11:41 PM
I've played all of the Deus Ex games: Deus Ex and Human Revolution.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-08-2015, 12:05 AM
I've only played Human Revolution so far, but I loved it. I'm heavy into the cyberpunk themes and foreshadowing what technology could look like in the future, especially with the ever advancing research in biotechnology.

I'm sure I'll play the rest of them one of these days. You'll occasionally find them on Steam sales for 3 dollars a piece, maybe less in bundle packs.

Here's a treat:

The Deus Ex Facebook page gave away the Fallen Angel digital novella for Christmas. They put up a link. It just pops up as a pdf right in your browser if you'd like to read. It tells the story of Faridah Malik prior to the events of Human Revolution.

http://cdn.eidosinteractive.com/mtl/marketing/Community/Blog/Deus%20Ex/DX_DC_FallenAngel_layout_Scarf.pdf