PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy challenges

Ergroilnin
12-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Everyone know that playing most of the FFs is pretty easy, they were never meant to be that hardcore kind of JRPGs. So me and I am sure that at least few of you increase the game's difficulty by setting self-imposed challenges.

Of course some challenges simply make you grind more and thus aren't really that fun and enjoyable. I would love to get some ideas for each main FF about the enjoyable challenges.

Challenges:

FFI:

Well this one can be kind of unforgiving by itself but I guess either single stronger character or 4 white mages or something. 1 WM/Thief is crazy grind.

FFII:

I guess the best is just playing this one as it was meant to be? So no leveling up skills and abilities by prolonging battles, attacking your own characters etc.

FFIII:

No idea, I haven't ever played this one so far.

FFIV:

Not sure here.

FFV:

Not sure here either.

FFVI:

Never played this one either (do not kill me I plan on getting it done soon!)

FFVII:

Well single character or limiting materias (SC + enemy skill materia only sounds really interesting!) are obvious choices, anything else?
Initial Weapons.
no-materia

FFVIII:

Well not sure here, no GFs is pretty much limit spam so not very enjoyable.
Magic only run.

FFIX:

I loved level 1 game, it isn't exactly hard but it's pretty interesting imo.

FFX:

Simple NSG is great.

FFX-2:

Initial sphere dresses is perhaps the best not so hard challenge I think?
1/1/2 First Steps only challenge as well as the solo character challenge

FFXII:

Well I did play the original but I am curious about IZJS challenges?
Weak Mode
solo character challenge

I am going to edit this post with your ideas and I am really gonna need them since I do plan on playing through all the main games soon enough.

Fox
12-20-2014, 10:40 PM
I've always wanted to do a 'Starter weapons only' run of FFVII. The weapons in that game are more iconic than other FF games. Any armour and accessories, so that you're not too​ crippled materia-wise.

For VIII, I wonder if a magic run could work? Obviously most of the time in that game is spent drawing magic, not using it and junctioning it to make your weapons stronger. A run where your only offensive move was a spell from the 'Magic' menu would force you to juggle attacking and keeping your stats up. The downside I guess is that it would probably mean even *more* drawing, which is annoying enough already.

Karifean
12-21-2014, 11:11 PM
FFX-2

Both the 1/1/2 First Steps only challenge as well as the solo character challenge seem pretty interesting. They force you to really max your effectiveness which is a real good compliment to FFX-2's versatile combat system.

FF XII IZJS

Well there's Weak Mode which deactivates EXP gain. It's still pretty easy once you get access to good guns, up until you get to the higher mark hunts or god beware the Trial Mode. Good luck with that.

The solo character challenge also seems pretty fun, so long as you don't overlevel too much.

VeloZer0
12-21-2014, 11:56 PM
My favorite is the straight playthrough challenge. No eating, no sleeping. (Bathroom breaks are allowed unless you are truly insane)

metagloria
12-22-2014, 01:48 AM
The only challenges I've done are a no-materia run of VII and a solo Vaan run of XII.

Ergroilnin
12-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Updated the list but gotta ask, what's 1/1/2 first step challenge for FFX-2?

Karifean
12-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Updated the list but gotta ask, what's 1/1/2 first step challenge for FFX-2?

You play the game with YRP on Level 1/1/2 (can't avoid one of them reaching Level 2 but if you kill off the other two during the first Leblanc fight they should stay Level 1) and may only use the First Steps Garment Grid.

Now you might be wondering just how you're gonna go through the game without leveling up, well there's no real way to do that; if you use YRP they're gonna level up. There's the Minerva's Plate accessory which makes you gain no EXP but it completely skews your stats. Some enemies put you in Pointless status which prevents EXP/AP gain, but those are rare to come by and of course it's cured automatically once you return to the airship.

So what do you do? The easiest solution is to use the Pointless status whenever possible, but otherwise simply fighting bosses with YRP, reloading once you succeed and then doing it again with creatures instead of YRP. Like that you can fight all bosses with Level 1/1/2 YRP.