PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat breakfast?

Pike
01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
It's a resounding YES for me, I can't live without it!

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Not often

Galuf
01-21-2015, 05:05 PM
i like eating cereal and sugar. i do what i want! you have problem? :quina:

Psychotic
01-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Absolutely. Though at weekends it kind of becomes more of a brunch.

metagloria
01-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Uhh, I would die if I didn't eat breakfast. Sometimes I wake up so hungry I can barely get downstairs to acquire breakfast.

Iceglow
01-21-2015, 05:35 PM
I eat a bowl of porridge every day at work. It helps keep me focused on my task and less prone to snacking in the morning. I try not to put sugar in to it so I often buy packs of porridge what come with fruit and stuff already in the oats. However, If I can't get the flavoured Oat-So-Simple packs, I'll buy plain and add blueberries and the like myself.

On weekends it depends on what I'm doing, when I wake up and how hungry I am.

Pike
01-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Uhh, I would die if I didn't eat breakfast. Sometimes I wake up so hungry I can barely get downstairs to acquire breakfast.

This. Oh man I am so hungry in the mornings. My appetite is just huge before about lunchtime. After that it sort of falls off. Probably because I get so hungry by lunchtime that I have a gigantic lunch and then I'm not terribly hungry for the rest of the day. xD

Shauna
01-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Nope. I wake up at 8am and don't eat until 1pm because I'm smart.

Galuf
01-21-2015, 06:03 PM
i actually skip lunch because im a light eater id prefer to keep my space for Dinner ( especially when its pasta being cooked:D)

Vermachtnis
01-21-2015, 06:03 PM
I get up at Noon-thirty and sleep through breakfast.

Dat Matt
01-21-2015, 06:36 PM
My morning routine is waking up at 7@30 to turn off my alarms, sleep in till 8:20 and run out the door at 8:25. I have a coffee or two at work, does that count?

escobert
01-21-2015, 09:09 PM
No. Unless coffee counts. I find when I eat breakfast I get hungry earlier in the day. If i just wait until lunch then once I eat I'm good until dinner.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-22-2015, 12:26 AM
Sometimes. Maybe a quarter of the time I decide to eat breakfast. But I don't eat right after I wake up. I eat breakfast two or three hours after, usually three. And then lunch a couple hours after that.

Ayen
01-22-2015, 12:26 AM
I have breakfast, but it's not breakfast food. I usually don't wake up until it's time for lunch anyway.

Agent Proto
01-22-2015, 12:40 AM
I've been eating breakfast for three weeks this year. It started since I've been in the hospital. So yes, I guess you could say that I eat breakfast.

Colonel Angus
01-22-2015, 12:50 AM
My morning routine is waking up at 7@30 to turn off my alarms, sleep in till 8:20 and run out the door at 8:25. I have a coffee or two at work, does that count?
:argh: darn you getting to sleep in!

my alarm goes off @ 5:30, i rise @ 5:45~5:55, leave barely enough time to catch my bus. make it to work ~10 mins b4 my start time. So not a lotta time 2 eat.

CimminyCricket
01-22-2015, 02:44 AM
I do, but it is nothing substantial. It is usually just a pink naval orange (when they're in season) and a cup of coffee.

theundeadhero
01-22-2015, 03:51 AM
Usually by the time I get up it's too late to call what I eat breakfast. At the other times, I sometimes do.

Night Fury
01-22-2015, 03:53 AM
Nope, gosh sometimes I don't even eat until like dinner time and live off a few snacks and coffee for the rest of the day.

I could have had cereal this morning but there was only enough milk left for a bowl of cereal or for a nespresso... Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what I chose.

Madame Adequate
01-22-2015, 04:49 AM
Not usually. I don't feel that hungry until at least a couple of hours after waking up, so I tend not to bother until later on!

Shiny
01-22-2015, 04:49 AM
If I'm up during the morning I'll eat a light breakfast. I don't like eating a ton of food when I first wake up. Usually I'll wake up closer to a brunch time like late morning or early evening.

radicaledward124
01-22-2015, 05:30 AM
Uh no I don't usually eat breakfast unless a cup of coffee/can of Mt. Dew counts. I don't usually eat till much later in my day.

Sephex
01-22-2015, 05:53 AM
Technically no. I wake up in the afternoon because of third shift so I miss breakfast in terms of time definition. However, I usually eat something not too long after I wake up, so from my body's perspective I do eat breakfast.

Shlup
01-22-2015, 07:59 AM
I usually grab a smackerel of something, but just like a banana or cereal bar.

Pike
01-22-2015, 10:31 AM
IMO eating soon after you wake up is considered breakfast. Sometimes I work the overnight shift so my "breakfast" is at 11pm or something. (And my "dinner" is at 8am.)

(God I'm glad I don't work overnights often, messes me up somethin' fierce)

Sephex
01-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Shut up Pike I'm a special snowflake.

MissH
01-22-2015, 02:06 PM
I can not function until I've had my breakfast. I'm like a zombie. I like going and getting my cereal and eating it in bed so i can wake up slowly and gently. Even if I woke up at midday, I'd still have to have my cereal before I could consider having lunch of any sort!

Freya
01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
I wake up at the last possible moment in the morning so usually i'm running late and I have to skip it.

Shauna
01-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Nope. I wake up at 8am and don't eat until 1pm because I'm smart.

Thinking about this I go for over 12 hours without any food, and then when I do eat at 1pm it's just a sandwich. I think I need to re-evaluate my eating habits. :erm:

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2015, 07:06 AM
I always have muesli or porridge with fruit, a glass of orange multi-vitamin stuff, a fish oil pill, and some sort of protein. Bacon and eggs in some capacity (omelette, scrambled, whatever :)) if I have time, a breakfast shake if I don't.

Jess
01-25-2015, 05:54 PM
I never used to eat breakfast, because I find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning, but now I make myself. On weekdays, I have breakfast biscuits or an oat bar. At weekends, bacon sammiches or dippy eggs & soldiers or crumpets! :jess:

noxious.sunshine
01-26-2015, 04:18 PM
We're working on getting into the habit of eating breakfast every morning. We're just not hungry until like 1 or 2 p.m. though.

Iceglow
01-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Gah, I had a huge reply typed up and lost it. Suffice to say Noxy, the TLDR: if you're doing portion size and meal times right, plus have sufficient activity; you will be hungry between 6am and 8am every morning.

Effectively, what you're looking at if you're not TLDR on this post is the following:

1) Breakfast (no more than 30g or 2 slices of toast and a single poached egg) to be eaten between the hours of 6am and 8am.

2) Lunch - Rich in protein and complex carbs, to be eaten between 12 and 2pm Portion size is no bigger than your 2 fists together on a plate.

3) Dinner - Rich in protein, as devoid of carbs, even complex ones as possible. To be eaten between 6 and 8pm. Dinner is no bigger, than lunch but shouldn't be much smaller either.

(Note: I'm basing this in part of my own life time schedule which will be including a circa 11pm bed time and a 5:15am wake up time).

This will leave additional plenty of calories and some spaces for 1-A) which is a snack between Breakfast and Lunch (say 9 - 11am) which should be fruit or nut based. I'd say if you want Granola then put it here. The Granola takes about 6 hours to be digested. If you have it now, it'll give you a good time period prior to working out to digest the snack and get the maximum energy in to your system before sleep. 2-A) is an afternoon snack and this should be less heavy than snack 1-A) it could be that this is purely a bit of fruit. The reason for no 3-A) is because frankly, your body will not digest that snack fully before you go to sleep. Once you've gone sleep your body shuts down most of the active digestive processes and so more of the contents of the snack will be either converted to fat.

Your workout should ideally fit in to your day between 9am - 11am or between 3pm - 7pm. Note; the afternoon slot is preferable. You'll have eaten your complex carbs and be full of energy and that means you'll work harder and for longer. Proteins will break down in your digestive tract within 2 - 3 hours of consumption normally which means you'll absorb most of the dinner's goodness before you go to bed.

It gets more complicated when you include protein rich supplements like whey shakes. Your body after working out, will burn fat to provide the energy needed for immediate recovery, even if you're asleep (albeit at a slower rate). Which is why keeping a protein rich, carb devoid evening meal at least 2 - 3 hours before bed helps your body lose weight quicker as it gets burnt away fast and anything your muscles need is then drawn from the fat cells on your body. This is one of the key reasons why People looking to lose weight are advised to avoid using protein supplements and to have egg at breakfast. As protein shakes, will actually stop the body from burning that fat because it has a readily accessible source of energy that is particularly designed to burn easily. This is great when you're trying to gain mass, or have a very low body fat percentage but not when you're looking to lose weight.

However, it's still highly inadvisable for anyone on protein shakes to drink them in the evening after working out. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you should always opt for them to be consumed prior to working out, or if involved in your immediate recovery phase of working out you should drink them ASAP after the workout ends and should never consume them past 6pm. If you do, the added energy and protein will stop your body from digesting the dinner you're about to eat meaning your body will generate fat rather than burn it.

If you really cannot drink your protein shakes prior to working out and it's past 6pm when you finish, you're best off leaving the shake until the next morning. This means your body will burn your dinner (put a small amount of carbs in if you have to) and fat to provide energy for the immediate recovery of the muscles. If you drink the whey shake when you wake up first thing (i.e. for me when I do this it's at around 5:30am so "Meal 0)" on my list. It will simply stop your body from continuing that process until it has another source of energy to burn (which would be the breakfast in an hour and a half or so).

Don't worry if you can't follow this exactly. I understand the science of this and how to apply it but I'm the first to admit that I have my failures with relations to the actual implementation of this.

I know long post and slightly derailing the thread (perhaps better suited to the health and fitness thread over in the Lifestream forums but hey. It is a valid post in response to Noxy, the science is all there.

BlackFire
05-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Sometimes I do. Or I sleep past twelve and have lunch instead.