PDA

View Full Version : New Final Fantasy XV Details From Famitsu

Hannibal_Khan
12-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Luminous Studio

The current version of the engine is version 1.40. When the Episode Duscae demo launches, it will be at 1.50. The final version of the game is planned to be 2.00.
There are about five million polygons per frame, witch each character made up of at max 100,000 polygons. The inner hair alone has about 20,000 polygons, which is five times the previous generation.
Character models have around 600 bones, which is roughly 10-12 times greater than what was seen last generation.
Data capacity for textures is also much greater than before.

Final Fantasy XV

Battles against huge enemies are carried out in the same fashion as standard battles, but there will be some exclusive party co-op ctions for the bigger fights.
There will be several mini-games, including fishing.
Restalm (we called it Restaru, then Restarg, we were wrong twice – it’s hard to play by ear sometimes) is being made in the image of the Bahamas.
Right now, the ropeway in Restalm cannot be rode. We might add the ability to ride it if there is time to do so.
The development team wants players to get a feel for the world and find it relatable not just through sheer visuals, but also through the characters.
In town, you can stay in hotels or go shopping.
NPCs in town are controlled by AI, and you can talk to them.
Restalm is a main town in the first half of the game.
Cindy shows up in different places throughout the game. Something happens with her at the start that shakes her up and gets her moving around.
While she’s not deeply involved in the story, she’s relevant because of her profession as a mechanic.
Players will have to fight Summon Beasts in order to be able to use them.
Summon Beasts in the game are a symbol of the power of stars. Only Noctis can actually summon them.
Combat-wise, the plan is holding down a button will start a set combo, but timed button presses are what will enable coordinated moves with other party members.
To parry enemy attacks, you have to match the timing of their strike. This is intended for expert players.
Magic isn’t what consumes MP, nor is the system akin to the Draw system Final Fantasy VIII had.
MP is consumed by using special actions, such as dodging and warping.
Weapons are equipped several at a time, with one main weapon. The main weapon has a corresponding ability, and it’s also possible to switch the main weapon during combat.
Combos are automatically formulated based on which weapon is currently being utilized out of the ones being equipped.
Abilities aren’t separate from a weapon’s given category and there are also weapons that have no abilities at all. Apparently not unlike what was seen in Captain Tsubasa 5, a game that Tabata apparently worked on back in the day.
Rare weapons that can be acquired from dungeons and other sketchy areas could potentially have some hack-and-slash aspects to how they’re used. The Phantom Sword, which floats in midair, will also be acquirable as a special weapon.
The battle system from the demo is planned to be fully featured.
After the Tokyo Game Show this year, the systems going into the demo were slightly changed as a result of fan feedback.
Players will also be able to run around in areas such as the mountainous areas where the Behemoths roam.
In the full version, you’ll be able to rent Chocobos.
Camps are inherently designed to be a safe haven, making them ideal headquarters when setting out to explore new areas.
There are bonuses that come with cooking ingredients purchased in towns and cities. You can also get ingredients off monsters in the wild.

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/final-fantasy-xv-detailed-famitsu#Og1DwtMmqLyrTrFf.99

Psychotic
12-23-2014, 11:24 AM
I like the idea of basing a town on the Bahamas, that's not something that I can recall them doing before.

Tyson
12-23-2014, 01:08 PM
There will be several mini-games, including fishing.
Restalm (we called it Restaru, then Restarg, we were wrong twice – it’s hard to play by ear sometimes) is being made in the image of the Bahamas.
The development team wants players to get a feel for the world and find it relatable not just through sheer visuals, but also through the characters.

My favourite points, yay to minigames! Something that's been sorely lacking lately.

I like that the towns seem to have completely different styles. Now just give me somewhere with snow!

Love that they seem to be focusing on characters above all else, end of the day that's what i play FF for.

Vyk
12-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Still hyped

Hannibal_Khan
12-23-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm reading translation of the ATR and tabata said something very interesting about the sleep feature that I didn't see listed the the article;
Tabata: Also, not only by making camp and eating do you get positive effects, but you gain experience points through combat, right?

Host: Yes.

Tabata: By resting, those experience points get converted to levels. So camping is actually very important

Host: I see. So, you gain levels by sleeping, which means if you don't sleep, your levels don't increase. So, this is an action RPG, so if players wanted to try to a low-level playthrough, all they have to do is not sleep.

Tabata: Yes. Players who don't want to increase their levels should avoid sleeping.

I think that's a pretty interesting way to implement the leveling up system. But I could also end up hating it.

Here's the link for the tranaslation (http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xvs-director-breaks-down-the-newest-trail-1673513161) of the XV portion of the active time report from jump festa.

Fox
12-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Oblivion did something similar. I don't think it did anything particularly wrong.

Well, there was plenty​ wrong with Oblivion's progression system! But I don't think any of that came from the concept of saving level ups until you rested.

Del Murder
12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Some good info. I like the variety, which includes mini-games and exploration, two of my favorite things.

Vyk
12-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Oblivion did something similar. I don't think it did anything particularly wrong.

Well, there was plenty​ wrong with Oblivion's progression system! But I don't think any of that came from the concept of saving level ups until you rested.
My thoughts exactly. It's an interestingly organic way to go about the leveling system. As long as they don't do the actual progression like Oblivion did, and just use sleep to "accept" those levels. 'Cause yeah, the sleep system was alright. The broken "choose these for actual levels, and choose these just to fugg around with" was really wonky

fat_moogle
12-23-2014, 07:27 PM
So magic doesn't consume MP, but warping and special actions do? Interesting.

I like the idea of sleeping to level up and such, but I'm just wondering how gaining new abilities etc work. Do we learn them automatically after getting to a certain level? Do we get a say in which abilities Gladiolus, Prompto and Ignis will use during battle? Or is that all automated along a set path? Regardless there is some good info here.

FFFFsephychibi
12-23-2014, 07:36 PM
This game is literally going to be a love letter to fans. And the game industry.

I just am so happy there's going to be a variety of things to do in this game, practically all these features are optional along the main story.

Fox
12-23-2014, 07:39 PM

I approve of this. It increases the motivation to use magic (the lack of which is a common problem in many RPGs) by removing the resource, but maintaining the depth offered by MP by instead limiting movement.

A nice idea and not a usual way of doing it.

Del Murder
12-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Has it been stated how magical spells will work?

Hannibal_Khan
12-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Has it been stated how magical spells will work?

No. But tabata did talk about magic in the last active time report.

Host: (reading fan question) "You haven't shown much magic, but what's going on?"

Tabata: Magic has been delegated to the later stages of development. To be absolutely honest, there is a prototype of course, and the battle system has been made, and we'll be brushing up the graphics before releasing the final product. So for combat we make the basic system, brush up the graphics, and what we do next is add all the different actions that occur in battle, so at the moment, the magic looks kind of disappointing. That's why we haven't shown it yet.

Host: So it's just that the look hasn't been completed yet.

Tabata: Yes, and before the magic, we made a prototype summon, and players will be able to try that out first. So magic will probably come after that. The brushing up.

Host: I see.

Tabata: Also – I'm not sure if I can say this – in the world of XV, Noctis is the only one who can use magic. 6 (http://kotaku.com/yer-a-wizard-noccy-1673689366)

Host: Yes.

Tabata: He's the only one with magic abilities. But as a game, having only Noctis be able to use magic doesn't really work, so we're implementing a rather unique system so that everyone in the party can use magic.

Depression Moon
12-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Oh, I thought someone been had posted this. I guess I should've made a thread than just posting it in another.

fat_moogle
12-24-2014, 08:44 AM

I approve of this. It increases the motivation to use magic (the lack of which is a common problem in many RPGs) by removing the resource, but maintaining the depth offered by MP by instead limiting movement.

I never thought of it like that. Surely there would need to be some sort of balance though or else we'll just be able to spam magic.

Tabata: He's the only one with magic abilities. But as a game, having only Noctis be able to use magic doesn't really work, so we're implementing a rather unique system so that everyone in the party can use magic.
For some reason this makes me think of FFIX. Steiner, a non magic user, can use Sword Magic while Vivi is in the party. Maybe Noctis can share his magic in a similar way, imbuing party members weapons with magical abilities and such.

Fox
12-24-2014, 12:21 PM

I never thought of it like that. Surely there would need to be some sort of balance though or else we'll just be able to spam magic.

Well there are three simple ways of kinda doing that. The first would be to make using magic take time, perhaps by charging it up or something. That way you sacrifice time you could be attacking be preparing your magic. The second way is to give magic cooldowns, a-la MMO abilities. Then finally you could simply make magic no more powerful than an attack, so there's no motivation to spam it. Or perhaps it does a certain type of damage (so you'd use it instead of an attack in certain situations).

There's more interesting stuff you could layer on top of that, but those are what come to mind off the top of my head.

For some reason this makes me think of FFIX. Steiner, a non magic user, can use Sword Magic while Vivi is in the party. Maybe Noctis can share his magic in a similar way, imbuing party members weapons with magical abilities and such.

Seems pretty likely it'll be something along these lines, I agree.