PDA

View Full Version : Artist or Writer?

Agent Proto
01-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Do you consider yourself an artist, or a writer?

Pike
01-22-2015, 05:04 PM
I'm definitely not good at either, so I'm voting that. :shobon:

Pumpkin
01-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Neither but I wish I was both :P

Shauna
01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
I am about as skilled at one as I am the other. That is to say that I am pretty terrible on both counts. Passable at best.

Agent Proto
01-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Haven't you published a book or two though? That would make you a writer.

metagloria
01-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Musician? Which involves aspects of both...

Galuf
01-22-2015, 05:54 PM
i can write random stuff of coolness. i can draw stick men

Electroshock Therapy
01-22-2015, 05:56 PM
I would love to make music and be a writer so I chose both. My skills and patience on the other hand...

Ayen
01-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Writer. I write pretty often. Not just reviews, but plenty of fictional stories. Don't always finish, but lately I've gotten a lot better at following through what I set out to write. Can't draw worth trout.

Freya
01-22-2015, 10:44 PM
I like both but I don't consider myself either!

radicaledward124
01-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Both both is good right?

Wolf Kanno
01-22-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm more of a writer but wish I was a better artist.

Pike
01-22-2015, 11:03 PM

That's more of a job really. I move boxes around at my day job all day but I wouldn't call myself a logistician (although I should, because that sounds alpha as fetch)

Psychotic
01-22-2015, 11:05 PM
I voted artist but it depends on your definition of artist I guess. I do a lot of graphics work, photo editing and such like, and I make videos. I can't say I'm hugely talented at that though. I definitely don't draw or do traditional art!

That said, I've won the Best Writer Ciddie but never even been nominated for Best Artist, so make of that what you will xD Maybe I should've voted both/neither on reflection.

jenovajunkie
01-23-2015, 12:11 AM
Art is a form of expression, escape. Writing is a form of expression, escape. It is these two forms that encompass the same. To be a writer, and good at it you must possess that of an artist.

Colonel Angus
01-23-2015, 12:16 AM
I voted both. When I was a chil'en, I used to artinate a lot. It was Sr. year of HS that I focused on writing. I really wanna go back & do more drawing again.

Shiny
01-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Welp, I did go to an art school. I use to write but not so much at the moment. I also use to paint. There's about nothing artistically I haven't done at this point except write a book, so yeah probably a more general term like artist would fit me better than a more specific label.

Depression Moon
01-23-2015, 06:36 PM
It's the same damn thing. You know there are sub categories to art right? Sculpture, painting, fashion, writing, culinary, photography, music, etc. All academies I know of definitely puts narrative writing under the arts category.

Pike
01-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Where would you put writing 600 words about sofas or wallpaper?

Cause that's usually what I do.

Shauna
01-23-2015, 06:57 PM
It's the same damn thing. You know there are sub categories to art right? Sculpture, painting, fashion, writing, culinary, photography, music, etc. All academies I know of definitely puts narrative writing under the arts category.

Yes yes, it's all art.

But we're obviously differentiating between whether you're better at drawing and that kind of visual art or better at writing.

Such pedantry! :3

escobert
01-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Neither. I'm a Shepherd. :p

Crop
01-24-2015, 12:32 AM

That's more of a job really. I move boxes around at my day job all day but I wouldn't call myself a logistician (although I should, because that sounds alpha as fetch)

Pretty much anyone can move boxes around all day, not everyone can get two books published as well as freelance work. I'd say you're a writer.

I'm truly neither.

Calliope
01-24-2015, 12:39 AM
Why don't you tell me if I am any good at writing? (https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/going-home--157/x/3390130)

For me, writing is definitely hard work, and art is what I do for fun. I've had a couple of art exhibitions, though, and those were definitely work that I couldn't've done if Giggle and Spuuky hadn't helped me.

Shorty
01-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Both!

Pike
01-24-2015, 12:56 AM
For me, writing is definitely hard work

I used to tell people that writing was akin to getting your teeth pulled.

Then I was informed that at least getting your teeth pulled is over quickly and you're excused if you use drugs to numb the pain.

Now I need a different analogy.

Pheesh
01-24-2015, 01:25 AM
No music option?

Shorty
01-24-2015, 01:28 AM
Music is art.

Technically, writing is as well.

Pheesh
01-24-2015, 01:29 AM
Music should have it's own option and you know it :colbert:

Agent Proto
01-24-2015, 01:41 AM
Music could be considered both if you play an instrument and write songs. Or it could be consider art if you only play. It's open to interpretation.

Leigh
01-24-2015, 09:34 AM
I sadly fail in both, but I use the excuse that if you find an artist who doesn't consider himself a failure, he isn't an artist. :)

Alas, I shall not participate in the pseudo-academic discussion here about what is and isn't art. =P

Sephex
01-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Cupcakes!

Shorty
01-24-2015, 04:54 PM
I sadly fail in both, but I use the excuse that if you find an artist who doesn't consider himself a failure, he isn't an artist. :)

Alas, I shall not participate in the pseudo-academic discussion here about what is and isn't art. =P

I don't think one needs to call themselves a failure to be considered an artist. You are an artist when you start calling yourself one.

Leigh
01-24-2015, 05:17 PM
I don't think one needs to call themselves a failure to be considered an artist. You are an artist when you start calling yourself one.

I think when I think 'artist', it's usually coupled with some form of melancholic personality; an artist's temperament so to speak. If I ever heard someone refer to themselves as an artist in ordinary conversation then I would feel the need to install tiny electric wipers in my eyes to clean off the pretentious splatter. Primarily because people generally tend to use the term as a sort of persona and badge of honor, rather than just calling themselves an illustrator, painter, potter, etc. But those particular terms don't sound romantic, inclusive and other-worldly enough. And we all know people want to be seen by others as 'different'.

Shorty
01-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Well, that's because it is a persona xD You can have your definition of it, but judging the definition of others' consideration of the term is also necessary, I would think, when dealing with the world of art.

Leigh
01-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Well, that's because it is a persona xD You can have your definition of it, but judging the definition of others' consideration of the term is also necessary, I would think, when dealing with the world of art.

Luckily I don't deal with the art world professionally, so I can remain in my little philistine quadrant. =P

MJN SEIFER
01-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Art is a form of expression, escape. Writing is a form of expression, escape. It is these two forms that encompass the same. To be a writer, and good at it you must possess that of an artist. This.

However, to answer what the OP most likely meant, I consider myself a writer (I've actually got some projects in the works), but I suck at drawing.
However, I aim to learn, especially as my main project will at the very least require me to do storyboards.

Pike
01-24-2015, 06:45 PM
For me personally, and I know a ton of people will disagree with me, but I wouldn't call myself a writer unless I was writing a lot. Constantly. Every day. I feel like being a writer is really easy, you just have to stop thinking about writing and actually write. But if you're not writing you're not a writer.

Sometimes I am a writer and sometimes I'm not; it's a fluid state. Right now I'll admit I probably am because I'm writing a couple thousand words a day. But there have been months where I haven't written at all (outside of things like forums) and I would not call myself a writer during those periods of time.

Agent Proto
01-24-2015, 08:09 PM
The "Neither!" option can be used as an "Other/Something else!" option if you guys don't think you fall into either Artist or Writer.