PDA

View Full Version : Do you frequently suffer from allergies?

Pike
02-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Because I do :( In fact, according to the allergist, I am allergic to "all trees, grasses, weeds, and molds". All of them.

Actual picture of me on a normal day, trying to keep my runny nose at bay: :whimper:

Freya
02-08-2015, 05:27 PM
All the time every time and my nose super hates them so then I have issues and end up with surgeries and omg I hate it.

Vyk
02-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Some point a few years ago something happened with the cigarettes my brother and sister were smoking. Right after our house fire, all the places we went, my nose was going insane. Even after we moved back into our old house I was in misery. I spent hundreds of dollars trying to find ways around that crap, since you're not allergic to smoke or cigarettes. It's an "allergy-like" reaction. Which means anti-histamines don't work. So I ended up with all kinds homeopathic nasal sprays and nasal cleansers and whatnot. And what ended up working was this really badass humidifier and vaporizer combination. We put so much moisture in the air, nothing allergy-inducing had much of an effect on me anymore. I mean, my sinuses still hate me, but I'm much better

And of course once I moved back home and my girlfriend moved she wanted a cat. Which is legitimately my worst allergy. Fortunately all the moisture in the air tends to help with that. Though I do have to keep up on keeping water in the tanks and stuff. And have to take at least some kind of anti-histamine each day. But it's not so bad. We have an awesome cat so its kinda worth it. Though frequently she likes to sleep on my chest at night, or take a nap on my lap. And that really wrecks most of my day, and sometimes I have to take a benadryl or two, since they're the most potent OTC antihistamine. But yeah. It's a living

escobert
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
I think I may be slightly allergic to cats but otherwise no. And I love my kitty too much for it to make a difference. Something does give me a stuffed nose 90% of the time year round. but it could just be dry air sorta thing.

Galuf
02-08-2015, 07:23 PM
im sure i dont. but you know i havent eaten or breathed everything.... so maybe im allergic to Cocaine who knows.

Night Fury
02-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Daily. Got it going on right now and it sucks to be me.

Pumpkin
02-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Not really

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Nope! I ain't allergic to shit!

Electroshock Therapy
02-09-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm allergic to the month of May.

And strawberries.

And stupidity.

Ayen
02-09-2015, 02:56 AM
Occasionally, but only because I take Claritin and largely stay away from the things I'm allergic to. All my life I've been allergic to dogs, cats, fur, dust, tobacco smoke, paint fumes, milk, eggs, cockroaches, and I feel like I'm forgetting something but don't know what. I'm starting to question some of these because rather recently I had milk and been eating cheese for most of my life with no problems. Recently had eggs too and nothing.

All the time growing up my parents didn't know what the smurf they were going to do if something happened to them because all our relatives either smoke or have pets, but thankfully nothing ever happened.

Shorty
02-09-2015, 04:55 AM
Not frequently, no. I am affected by seasonal allergies - which I never had until I moved to Arizona - but that's as bad as it gets.

Sephex
02-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Nope.

And it is glorious.

radicaledward124
02-10-2015, 08:19 AM
i used to get the shots but now i just take a daily pill and nose spray stuff. i'm allergic to like everything..

Pike
02-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I do feel like I'm kind of lucky because I'm not allergic to any animals.

Just, you know, everything else...

Chris
02-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Allergic to dust. Oh, the irony.

Mirage
02-10-2015, 02:28 PM
I can't wear stuff that has nickel in it. That's about it.

Shiny
02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Yep! I have indoor and outdoor allergies which include some cats, some dogs, a type of drag weed, cigarette smoke, a type of mold, cockroaches (yeah I dunno either), and a severe allergy to dust. It's gotten to the point where I can tell how clean a place is because my nose is super sensitive to certain allergens.

Night Fury
02-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Anyone else who has bad allergies ever get feelings of horrid fatigue? I've been getting this lately - when my allergies are flaring up on a morning it feels like an extra effort to get out of bed and I always feel so doped up until I force myself to get fresh air!

Vyk
02-14-2015, 04:26 AM
Do you take anything for it? Benadryl, and sometimes even Zyrtec (and their generic knock-offs) can sometimes knock you on your butt. The active ingredient in Benadryl is actually used as a sleep-aid. So that could cause it. But for me, yes, allergies do wear me out from time to time. I presume the whole "body fighting histamines" thing takes a toll on things like your immune system and probably helps with vitamin deficiencies. Heck, an allergy itself is commonly defined as some type of deficiency. So it stands to reason I suppose. But you are not alone. Hell sometimes I feel actually sick from allergies. Not runny nose sneezing kinda sick. Actually not even coughing or congestion sick (even though when its bad I do get lots of gunk in my lungs). But sometimes I just feel like the life is being drained out of me, and I have no motivation because I just feel dead

Shiny
02-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Yeah, most allergy medications like Zyrtec will recommend you take it during the evening before bed because it can make you drowsy. I don't think Clairitin has ever caused me drowsiness, but Zrytec a few times maybe.

Night Fury
02-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Nah, I always take the non-drowsy stuff and I can feel this way even before I take a tablet. I've read it's pretty normal to feel a bit lethargic when you're stuffy!

Pumpkin
02-14-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm allergic to my cat being annoying at 5 am :stare:

Iceglow
02-14-2015, 01:21 PM
I tend to suffer with hay fever and it gets worse with pollution and dust. This just means I tend to keep my room clean and tidy especially during the summer months where it gets to the worst levels. Living in London means I can't really escape the pollution however, which frankly sucks.

I also have allergies to Oranges, Passion Fruit and Gold.

Being allergic to Gold doesn't bother me that much as with my complexion (pale skin, dark hair very brooding) I look better with Silver jewellery when I wear any at all, though when I eventually meet someone whom I wish to marry the wedding rings will be a pain in the ass as I'll have to go for Platinum or something. I could probably get away with White Gold as it's 60% Silver but if it's something I'll be expected to wear for the rest of my life I'd rather not get a rash from it. Before anyone goes saying that this allergy is impossible, I'll point out two things; nothing is impossible and I've tested this with Gold that is at least 24 carats and yup, I got a rash. Which is why I gave my sister my Dad's sovereign and signet rings when they were handed down to me by my mom.

Oranges and Passion Fruit annoys the hell out of me. I love both of these fruits but eating them makes my mouth super itchy to the point that I have been known to chew my tongue and gums til they're bleeding and swollen. It also means I can't enjoy things like cocktail evenings which is a shame as a lot of girls like going on them as dates and I'm there having a Guinness. I've gotten pretty good at ensuring that I have enough Vitamin C in my diet by switching over to things like Pineapples or Lemon/Limes which contain as much, or in the case of Pineapple's more vitamins.

Over all I've learnt to deal with my allergies pretty well. Though I've recently read an article which claimed antihistamines are linked with Alzheimers. If that article was accurate (it was in a tabloid paper so I'm not taking it too seriously to be perfectly honest) I'm fucked.