PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought a game console specifically for a Final Fantasy game?

Pike
02-13-2015, 05:00 PM
I did. I bought a PlayStation specifically to play FFVII.

(One of the few PlayStation games I actually played, in fact :shobon: I was definitely an N64 loyalist.)

Egami
02-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Yes, I got a PSX for FF VII. Of course I also liked many other games on the console besides that but it was the key factor in me jumping from Nintendo to Sony back then.

Karifean
02-13-2015, 05:18 PM
"Other". It hasn't happened yet but it's bound to happen with the PS4.

fat_moogle
02-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Yes. I bought a pre-owned Gamecube for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and was left very disappointed.

Galuf
02-13-2015, 09:02 PM
i bought a PSX last year just to play FF 7 8 and 9..... before i knew i could just use emulator ( which i had to end up doing because some random disc problems)

noxious.sunshine
02-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Yes.

Bought a PS4 mostly for Type-0 HD .. Lol

And so I can dungeon in XIV with my bf

Mirage
02-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Final fantasy was just one of many games that made me buy my PS2.

Actually, because I didn't have a PS1, the fact that PS2 let me play a lot of PS1 FF games actually weighted pretty heavily.

edit:
Now that I think about it, it probably didn't weight all that heavily after all. I did play FF7 and 8 on PC, so FF9 was the only game i needed a PS1 or PS2 to play.

Sephex
02-13-2015, 10:06 PM
I was in to the Final Fantasy since the very first, so getting a SNES and PS1 was a factor in wanting those consoles. More so with the PS1 since SNES was just me really wanting a SNES at the time.

escobert
02-13-2015, 10:19 PM
maybe not a FF game but, all square games in general. I was a hardcore Square fanboy during the PSone/PS2 eras.

Electroshock Therapy
02-13-2015, 10:24 PM
I bought a PSP so I can play FF III without Nintendo's "friend code" bullcrap. Love you Nintendo, but please stop forcing your gaming social media down our throats just so we can play the game. Especially when it becomes obsolete and so extra content becomes unplayable!

I also bought it just so I can play the PSP version of FF IV. I'm glad, too, because it's my favourite version. I still haven't played the sequels, but I don't really care right now. I still have VI and onward to finish.

metagloria
02-13-2015, 11:32 PM
I bought an XBox 360 specifically for Lost Odyssey because of the FF people involved.

Tyson
02-14-2015, 07:12 AM
I had a PS1 before i ever heard of FF, I did however pick up a PS2 the same day FFX released just so I could play it.

I picked up a PS3 at launch aswell because of Versus XIII (awkward)

Ayen
02-14-2015, 09:54 AM
No. The closet I ever came to this was getting a DS for Phoenix Wright, but usually when I buy a console it's for several games that I want to play, and the rest is just gravy.

radicaledward124
02-14-2015, 10:37 AM
I bought a PC to play FF XIV. not really a console but all i do on it is game so it's sort of one.

Psychotic
02-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Nope. PS4 might well change that.

SquallsMist
02-14-2015, 04:32 PM
i bought ps2 for final fantasy 10 but it wasnt the main reason i wanted to play gta games and metal gear solid too! but when ff10 came out it finalized my decision :D

VeloZer0
02-14-2015, 06:48 PM
I was saving up for a PS1 to play FF7 on, but then it came out on PC.

The first console I ever bought, the PS2, I didn't buy expressly for a specific FF title but to catch up on the SE RPGs that didn't come out on PC/emulator.

When I put a mod chip in my PS2 it lost the ability to play PS1 games, so I bought a PS3 so I could still play FF Tactics.....

Shiva95
02-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Yes. Actually, I bought the PS3 only for Final Fantasy games and I will probably buy the PS4 for FF15.

Randy
03-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Yep. And I've heard quite a few people say the same.
In my own case, it was a PSP for Crisis Core. I might get a PS4 if FF15 reviews well too.

Bolivar
03-18-2015, 12:39 AM
Didn't know which console to get after the Genesis. Wanted a 64 at first because of Mario 64, Kart, Zelda, and Goldeneye but VII singlehandedly swayed me in the other direction.

Also got a PS2 when FFX came out, although I wanted one before that, they were just too scarce.

The FFIII announcement got me to buy a DS Lite, was right around the time they launched.

Bought a PSP when the FFVII PSOne Classic release was announced alongside Peace Walker and Gran Turismo.

Got the PS3 for a number of games, of which was XIII and Versus XIII :lol:

Sad to say I bought a PS4 for a lot of games but Final Fantasy isn't really among them. I guess the E3 2013 XV trailer got me hype but everything I've heard about the game has been downhill from there. Hoping XVI turns out like something I wanna play.

I bought a PSP so I can play FF III without Nintendo's "friend code" bullcrap. Love you Nintendo, but please stop forcing your gaming social media down our throats just so we can play the game. Especially when it becomes obsolete and so extra content becomes unplayable!

I also bought it just so I can play the PSP version of FF IV. I'm glad, too, because it's my favourite version. I still haven't played the sequels, but I don't really care right now. I still have VI and onward to finish.

PSP was the defacto FF machine in its day. I-IX and a lot of the best versions, too. Now Vita has I-X I believe? Hope XII gets remastered.

CimminyCricket
03-18-2015, 12:41 AM
I bought a GBA for FFIV and VI. :D

Mo-Nercy
03-22-2015, 01:30 PM
I got my PSP for Crisis Core.
Dissidia coming out the following year was a nice bonus.

I also played a fair few classic FFs on it too.

Vyk
03-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Huh, I could swear I'd replied to this thread

It's funny how much I loathed Sony for stealing Square away from Nintendo, and I was an avid SEGA fanboy. But I had respect for my rival. And Sony came waltzing in and shaking things up where it wasn't even welcome and throwing off the whole balance

Those were the days..

Then my friend invited me over to play some random PS1 games just to see the system in action that I hated so much. I remember Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII. I have no idea what else there was as VII completely enraptured me for some reason. I obsessed over it for months and devoured every piece of information released on it. Magazines with big full articles, reviews, hints and tips sections, everything. I bought a bunch of stupid stuff relating to it while we had a PS1 in layaway. I even bought the game before I had my hands on the system x_x

That was bad. And I'd never been that way with any game before it. Amusingly enough I had the same thing happen with Xenogears when I rented it and then the store's copy of the game disappeared and I had to live without it. Eventually I found a copy at K-Mart and could not resist. Fortunately for both of these things I had parents who were very supportive and understanding of my addictions lol So that worked out. And I totally would have bought the system for Xenogears if I didn't already have it

Later, after VIII and IX disappointed me, I decided to give the next generation a chance and put a PS2 on Layaway with FFX. So there's that

My one FFVII friend also eventually sold me his SNES with FF2(4) and FF3(6). There were a few other games and we got the haul for $75 so I guess I bought an SNES for those two Final Fantasy games

My girlfriend was already getting a PS4, but if she weren't, I definitely would have for Type-0's sake. I've been super interested in this game for a long time. I did help her pay it off, so I guess kinda, but not really

Depression Moon
03-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Funnily enough I bought a PS3 to play FFXIII, but I've yet to play it.

DMKA
03-23-2015, 03:03 AM
Yes.