PDA

View Full Version : Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Ayen
12-27-2014, 02:37 PM
http://i59.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/iwhzwh.jpg
VS.
http://i59.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/rwtq51.jpg

Which system do you prefer? Which system did you grow up with?

I grew up with the Sega Genesis, and it's my favorite retro console of all time. I used to play Battletoads/Double Dragon, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, Cyborg Justice, Mortal Kombat II, and thanks to the 32X, Doom. I also enjoy other Sega games like Sonic, Streets of Rage, the Road Rash series, Comix Zone, Thomas the Tank Engine, Toy Story, the Power Rangers games, and Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage. Yes, I'm aware that some of these were also available on the Super Nintendo.

Discuss.

Pike
12-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Both are very good.

I feel that the Super Nintendo had a stronger exclusive library overall, as well as the stronger licensed games. But on the other hand, the Genesis had Sonic. And the terror that was Ecco the Dolphin.

Gotta hand it to SNES in the end, but damn if this wasn't my favorite generation of console games. Everything was so good.

Rez09
12-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Gotta hand it to SNES in the end, but damn if this wasn't my favorite generation of console games. Everything was so good.

That pretty well sums it for me as well. Though I end up appreciating the SNES library more now, with its much wider selection of RPGs and platformers, I grew up with the Genesis and there are just sooooo many great titles for it. Most of my favorite platformers from the generation come from the Genesis side of things, like Quackshot, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic 2, Ristar, and Shinobi 3. Even games where there is often a direct comparison drawn between two SNES and Genesis titles, like Super Castlevania IV and Bloodlines, the two Sparkster games, and Vectorman and DKC, I find the Genesis titles hold up extremely well. Sega made a hell of a showing that generation, and its just too bad they didn't find the support for the SegaCD they needed to keep up with Nintendo.

Colonel Angus
12-27-2014, 05:52 PM
The Genesis/Mega Drive had some solid games. However, for me, the SNES still outdoes it, even if it's just by a smidge.

Leigh
12-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Neither of them had Monkey Island on them, therefore, I choose Amiga 1200. =P

I didn't have either of them back in the day. =( I did have friends who had the consoles though, and SNES was always the one that seemed to be powered up. I remember having Megaman and Bomberman competitions, plus late night bouts of Zelda: Link to the Past during sleepovers. :) I can't say I have any really affection for either though since I only knew of them vicariously. Cheap'o'nasty clone-a-thons for the Amiga were my bag. =P Amiga did get some cool Sega games though, like Super Hang-On. =)

Sephiroth
12-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Not even a contest.

Ayen
12-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Shinobi 3.

Sega's answer to Ninja Gaiden I'd say. I only got around to playing that game through the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but it was great. I need to get around to playing the other games on that. I still haven't checked out Vectorman.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I just liked playing my TurboGrafx-16. Bonk was a cool dude.

Vyk
12-27-2014, 06:47 PM
I was absolutely a SEGA fanboy. And I can say without a shadow of a doubt, SNES was the better investment. SEGA had no answer to things like Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, and all the rest

I mean Phantasy Star IV was amazing for its time, but not many people owned it, because it was $100 when it came out and then it vanished completely. And even if it was more accessible, it can't be the only answer to every SNES RPG

And there is no excuse for SEGA not making a half-decent attempt at a Sonic RPG. They waited like 15 years and then had BioWare try to do it, and by then the formula seemed too old for me to enjoy :/

But Shining Force 1 and 2 are better than any other strategy game that was out at the time :3 Hell, they're better than a lot of them that are out now. I just wish they were more difficult. They definitely have more depth to their world. And they feel like actual RPGs, rather than just strategy battle simulators with stories tacked on, and worlds as a lazy afterthought (Yeah, let's just put a map with dots on it. That's excusable)

So I'm not ashamed to have enjoyed SEGA. I loved Sonic, Shining Force, and stuff. But once I got my hands on Final Fantasy VI, it was pretty much all over. Its just sad that only through emulation, years after that console war, was I able to enjoy some of the better games of that generation, on either console (Phantasy Star games included..)

Ayen
12-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Had they made a Sonic RPG at the time they would have just been accused of copying Nintendo anyway.

I figured Phantasy Star was their answer to Final Fantasy, and it was obviously popular if they made four of them. I didn't know about that one-hundred dollar price range though. That's just smurfing ridiculous. Fatal Labyrinth was another RPG the system had too. Nothing Final Fantasy quality, but RPGs did exist on the console.

But to be fair I don't think people bought a Genesis console for the RPGs.

Vyk
12-27-2014, 07:20 PM
I was a Genesis owner who loved RPGs :( Fatal Labyrinth was alright. Ys 3. Sword of Vermilion. Shining in the Darkness. Light Crusader. There really wasn't a lot to choose from outside of the Phantasy Star games. Maybe they should have milked that series a little more

I'd still play Sonic over Mario. At least from that generation

But with the advent of emulation, I've discovered far more hidden gems in the SNES library. Lots of interesting mech games for some reason too. Too bad I didn't have those as a kid. I'd have loved that Front Mission side scrolling shooting game (I forget its name)

But yeah. In hindsight, they probably massively increased the ROM cartridge memory to some ridiculous number. Phantasy Star IV and Virtua Racing were both around $100 on release. And I think maybe Vector Man was too? I'm not sure. It may have came later when the tech for memory was a little cheaper

That kinda stuff may have hurt sega though. Paying twice as much for the better games on the console

BUT! I did have SEGA Channel. Which was flipping AWESOME! And was the only way to play Pulseman. Which isn't exactly loved by the community. But I adored it. I played the hell out of that game while it was on the network

Edit: Also forgot about Landstalker. Basically wrote the formula for Alundra, and was a decent competition for Zelda-like gameplay

Rez09
12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
But yeah. In hindsight, they probably massively increased the ROM cartridge memory to some ridiculous number. Phantasy Star IV and Virtua Racing were both around $100 on release. And I think maybe Vector Man was too? I'm not sure. It may have came later when the tech for memory was a little cheaper

I got it for normal price, as I recall.

BUT! I did have SEGA Channel. Which was flipping AWESOME! And was the only way to play Pulseman. Which isn't exactly loved by the community. But I adored it. I played the hell out of that game while it was on the network

Sega channel was such an awesome idea, but it was never available in my area. T -T

Also, you know people that dislike Pulseman? I thought my dislike of Dynamite Heady was strange. O_oa

Ayen
12-27-2014, 08:02 PM
I didn't even know Sega Channel was a thing, so my TV must have never gotten it. Did it have anything to do with cable? Because that would explain why.

Rez09
12-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah, it was a cable service, as I recall. Fairly limited distribution. :(

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2014, 08:07 PM
SNES simply had the better and more timeless library of games, though it's not to say the Genesis was no slouch either. I think the reason why the console wars never appeal to me was because I grew up during this one and both sides had strong arguments for why there system of choice rocked as opposed to today where two systems have meager exclusives and largely the same libraries of AAA content while the third competitor gets nailed for just respinning old classics and not innovating the way fans want.

Overall, as an RPG site and fan of RPGs, the SNES simply has the better overall library with titles fans still fawn over today, in other arenas I think Sega has a better advantage.

Ayen
12-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Yeah, it was a cable service, as I recall. Fairly limited distribution. http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/frown.gif

Blah! It'd be a cold day in hell before dad has cable in this house.

Vyk
12-27-2014, 08:27 PM
It was a WEIRD cable service. I just read on Wiki that the price was criticized for being too steep. But I never knew what my parents were paying for it. We had it for about six months or so until it died. They updated it every month with like 20 - 30 new games. It had this adapter that plugged into the console and a cable line plugged into that. Then it was just a matter of firing it up. Choosing a genre. And selecting a game to enjoy. It was always a treat to see what new ones they put up each month

There was a My Little Pony game that all my friends played through just for the LOLs, and that was the only way they would play it, because nobody was going out and renting that game. Sadly I think it was actually a pretty decent platformer and just nobody wanted to admit it lol

Bolivar
12-28-2014, 08:10 PM
They both have such a long line of classics but I always say Genesis has a bigger place in my heart just off the fact that I grew up with it. But when it comes down to it, I do legitimately prefer After Burner over Starfox, Columns over Tetris, Streets of Rage over Double Dragon and Shining Force I and II over Final Fantasy IV and VI. I don't think the Mario games felt as good or achieved as much as their NES forefathers whereas Sonic on the Genesis just felt like this intoxicating odyssey across multiple games of incredible landscapes and unforgettable soundtracks. Having Michael Jackson composing some of the music certainly helped as well.

Ayen
12-28-2014, 08:12 PM
I miss games like Streets of Rage.

Rez09
12-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Streets of Rage 2 was soo good. I feel bad that I forgot to mention it. D:

Hyperstone Heist wasn't that bad either, though most people forget it exists with Turtles in Time floating about. I liked having the run button, though, so I always ended up preferring the controls in Heist.

Ayen
12-29-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm going to turn this thread on its head.

What were some of the worse games available for both systems? Dark Castle wins the Sega side of things hands down. What does SNES have that is an unholy abomination against all mankind?

Rez09
12-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Lester the Unlikely seems a good contender.

Bubba
12-29-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm going to turn this thread on its head.

What were some of the worse games available for both systems? Dark Castle wins the Sega side of things hands down. What does SNES have that is an unholy abomination against all mankind?

As I recall, Pitfighter for the SNES was a contender for worse game ever created. That along with Vanna White's Wheel of Fortune.

I have to side with the SNES in this argument but the Megadrive/Genesis had some truly remarkable games and is one of my favourite consoles of all time. Close call in what was truly gamings golden era.

Pike
12-29-2014, 05:41 PM
Pagemaster for SNES.

It was truly awful.

Rez09
12-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I remember playing that as a kid; I loved the movie so I had to get the game.

Woe to young me. :'(

Ayen
12-29-2014, 07:58 PM
That along with Vanna White's Wheel of Fortune.

Smurfing Wheel of Fortune. I never got the appeal of game shows as video games anyway.

Vyk
12-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Stormlord for the Genesis was a pretty terrible experience for my young self. One of my first bad purchases. That was like a month of delivering papers gone to waste

Ayen
12-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Two bad games has been named for the Genesis, while the SNES has four bad games. Five including the garbage that was Super Godzilla. Therefore, I declare Sega Genesis the winner of this poll and award myself and Bolivar 50,000 points. Thanks for playing, play again soon! SMOKE BOMB!

*vanish in smoke*

*is still trying to get the door open when the smoke clears up*

*laughs nervously*

*opens door and leaves the room*

Sephex
12-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah, it was a cable service, as I recall. Fairly limited distribution. :(

A friend of mine had it, and it was very awesome. Kind of like a peek into the future for console gaming if you ask me. WAY ahead of its time, and we spent many hours playing games through that service.

I'm in the camp that thinks SNES was the better system, but the Genesis was also a very awesome console. I was a lucky kid who (eventually) owned both. Sure, I'll admit that I was drinking the Nintendo kool-aid when school yard debates raged at first, but I quickly realized how stupid that was. Back then, exclusives actually meant something, and I wasn't going to deprive myself unique gaming experiences just because I felt one console was better than the other. You have a few good titles at the very least? I'm there. And both those consoles sure as s*** had good titles.

Ayen
12-30-2014, 12:23 PM
school yard debates raged

"Sega is better than Nintendo because it has 16 bits."
"Oh, yeah? Well, the SNES has 16 bits too, and better sound!"
"Blast processing."
"Mario is the best!"
"Sonic could whip Mario's ass!"
"What the hell are bits?!"

Hell, even the multi-platform games back then felt considerably different. Even I have to admit that the SNES got the better end of the deal there.

maybee
12-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Both. Both are really good and solid consoles that made alot of people happy and gave alot of people good childhood memories.

Though the problem with the Mega Drive is that alot of good games are there, though they are hidden gems, that didn't get noticed for some reason.

Everybody knows Sonic, Streets of Rage, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Starfox, Megaman etc

But not everybody knows some forgotten Mega Drive gems like Strider, Rocket Knight Adventures, Gunstar Heroes, Wonder Boy In Monster World, and Wiz and Liz.

So I find the opinion that the SNES has a better library of games a bit of a lie, they have a better well-known and popular library, but when it comes to their library of games, they are both pretty good and solid.

I think your favorite one is whatever one you grew up with, or whatever console just happened to have the collection of games that you preferred the most.

The Mega Drive does have a lot of strange and odd titles though, that might of put people off from trying newer and unique titles, hence why so many games got pushed underneath the rugs.

Pike
12-30-2014, 02:29 PM
I played a lot of "obscure" games for both systems and still maintain that overall the SNES had the better library. I'm not saying this to discount the Genesis and its games. Both systems were fantastic. But I wanted to point out that I'm definitely considering the "little games" when I take this question into consideration.

16 bit generation is so good mmmmmmm

KentaRawr!
12-30-2014, 02:44 PM
That Front Mission though. :D And Tactics Ogre! And Treasure of the Rudras!

As long as we're talking about bad games, though, Altered Beast was pretty bad. :p

maybee
12-30-2014, 03:00 PM
As long as we're talking about bad games, though, Altered Beast was pretty bad. :p

Agree. So slow and clunky.

the wise from yow gwave is hilarious at the opening though. :lol:

Rez09
12-30-2014, 03:11 PM
That Front Mission though.

<3

It's crazy going back to Altered Beast now and remembering that people bought consoles for it. X_X

Del Murder
12-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Ah yes, the Console Wars. Good times. For me it was no contest. SNES had the FF and Mario franchises and that alone would be enough. I did have a Genesis friend and I would go over to his house if I ever wanted to play Sonic.

Ayen
12-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Altered Beast was bad? How it wind up in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection?

I'm gonna have to play that for myself now.

black orb
12-30-2014, 06:13 PM
>>> Snes win by far, they had all the squaresoft games of that time..:luca:

Rez09
12-30-2014, 06:33 PM

I think it's on the collection because it is seen as a classic for the console, being the original pack-in game. It's not terrible, but I feel it has aged poorly.

Carl the Llama
12-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Final Fantasy VI version 1.0 for this reason (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sketch_Bug)... Cant really say I played many games, but a broken version of a game gets all of my anger. *Disclaimer: I love VI, but the broken version? not so much*

Genesis? Sonic 3D Blast.

Edit:

I think it's on the collection because it is seen as a classic for the console, being the original pack-in game. It's not terrible, but I feel it has aged poorly.

I freaking LOVED Altered Beast, me n my bro used to play that game for hours, some of my fondest memories on the Genesis.

The Man
12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
The broken version of VI is awesome on an emulator though, because it allows players to do this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hL6bsSYV2o). :monster: On an actual console I agree, though, not so great.

Pike
12-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Sonic 3D Blast was certainly... special :erm:

Galuf
12-30-2014, 08:08 PM
i would say super nintendo due to me liking more games on it but my first coonsole was a sega megadrive ( genesis) so i have to go with that ... and you cant beat a bit of sonic now and again ( ive never really liked mario except waluigi)

Vyk
12-30-2014, 08:23 PM
maybee had a point. There were a lot of obscure games I enjoyed on the Genesis. They weren't fantastic, but they sort of added together to a big pile of enjoyment. Valis and E-SWAT stand out in my mind. Its like campy good-bad movies. Not perfect, but perfectly enjoyable. And Ecco was so relaxing and stressful at the same time. Really weird and charming. My experience with the SNES was skewed by the fact that I got it second hand, and cherry picked the games I got for it way after its heyday in the limelight. So I knew going in, that most Square games were the way to go, and that was pretty much it other than the Mario collection. I didn't grow up with it. I didn't save up and waste my money on a bad nintendo game. Or spend entire evenings trying to conquer a world in Mario. All that time and frustration and love was spent on the Genesis

And as sick as it is, I really loved me some SegaCD (and even a very little bit of 32X)

Ayen
12-30-2014, 08:25 PM
The 32X allowed me to play Doom so I can't be too mad at it.

I think Cyborg Justice can fall on the side of obscure. At least I think so. I don't know many people who played it.

CimminyCricket
12-30-2014, 08:46 PM
I want to say Sega Genesis just because it had Sonic on it and I played a lot of Sonic, but I clearly remember fiddling with the SNES more for games like Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda. The SNES gets it!

Polnareff
12-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Another easy one......SNES.

Genesis had the Streets of Rage games, El Viento, Ristar, Kid Chameleon, Shinobi, Sonic, the Phantasy Star games, Shining Force 1 and 2, the better sports games, and the least censored versions of games like Mortal Kombat.

But SNES had everything else.

Rez09
12-31-2014, 04:18 PM

Genesis had the Streets of Rage games, El Viento, Ristar, Kid Chameleon, Shinobi, Sonic, the Phantasy Star games, Shining Force 1 and 2, the better sports games, and the least censored versions of games like Mortal Kombat.

No Rocket Knight or Quackshot? D':

Anyway, I also love the SegaCD, and I wish it didn't suffer from the reputation FMV games gave it. There were a surprising number of enjoyable titles on the system no one picked up, and it had the potential for such greatness. T -T

Polnareff
12-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Genny had Rocket Knight Adventures, but SNES had Sparkster, so....... :shifty:

Pike
12-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Frankly the big kicker for me is that the SNES had Uniracers.

Rez09
12-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Uniracers was amazing. :D
Especially stunts on Downer! >: D

*Spins for three years*

Genny had Rocket Knight Adventures, but SNES had Sparkster, so....... http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/shifty.gif

SNES Sparkster was pretty solid; did you enjoy it more than the original?

Ayen
12-31-2014, 05:01 PM

No Rocket Knight or Quackshot? D':

Anyway, I also love the SegaCD, and I wish it didn't suffer from the reputation FMV games gave it. There were a surprising number of enjoyable titles on the system no one picked up, and it had the potential for such greatness. T -T

The Sega CD was so badass it scared the trout out of Nintendo. They tried making deals with two different companies only for it to blow up in their face. The deal with CDi creating the most infamous Mario and Zelda games of all time, and of course the Sony deal which ultimately led to their demise in the form of the PlayStation.

I love video game history. I think I know it better than regular history.

Rez09
12-31-2014, 05:20 PM
I can't say for certain, but I feel the PC-Engine CD might have been Nintendo's more pressing competitor. It didn't do well over here, but the Japanese market for that thing was pretty terrifying. War in the homeland and all that. :)

Vyk
12-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Oh how I wish I had experienced a TurboGrafx-16 and CD. I would have ate a lot of that stuff up. Especially Ys

Rez09
12-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I didn't even know it existed as a kid -- or the Neo-Geo for that matter. D: I've explored a bit of the PC Engine since then and there are some titles I'd definitely have loved back then.

Polnareff
01-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Uniracers was amazing. :D
Especially stunts on Downer! >: D

*Spins for three years*

Genny had Rocket Knight Adventures, but SNES had Sparkster, so....... http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/shifty.gif

SNES Sparkster was pretty solid; did you enjoy it more than the original?

I did. I can't really explain why, either.

I will say that I liked the soundtrack in RKA a lot more.

NeoCracker
01-01-2015, 01:02 AM
RPG's the SNES had a huge selection of amazing titles. And some decent ones. And a couple shit.

Also, Killer Instinct as the greatest Fighting game of the generation.

Genesis, however, did have Toejam and Earl 2: Panic on Funktron. And Comix zone. Best Genesis games right there.

SNES wins it easy. :p

Shiny
01-01-2015, 01:31 AM
This wasn't even a contest, SNES definitely.

My first console was a Nintendo that was technically my brother's, but my dad saw that I loved it so much so he gave it to me and then also bought my brother and I each our own SNES. Most of my gaming memories come from the SNES and they had the best games back then. I loved Sonic, but nothing compares to the glory days of Nintendo.

I love this game. It's available to play on PS2 on the Sega Collection and probably other consoles too.

Colonel Angus
01-01-2015, 01:45 AM
The Sega CD was so badass it scared the trout out of Nintendo. They tried making deals with two different companies only for it to blow up in their face. The deal with CDi creating the most infamous Mario and Zelda games of all time, and of course the Sony deal which ultimately led to their demise in the form of the PlayStation.

I love video game history. I think I know it better than regular history.
IDK why Nintendo went away from the deal w/ Sony, but I know their Panasonic deal went belly-up because of how the Sega CD didn't take off as expected.

As sort of a peace offering for breaking the deal, Nintendo allowed CDi to have license to use some of the Nintendo characters for their own system.

Vyk
01-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Imagine how powerful they'd be if they'd have stuck it out with Sony

Colonel Angus
01-01-2015, 02:56 AM
I think I once read somewhere, the deal fell through partly because Nintendo didn't like the big SONY logo on the add-on (which, btw, was to be named Playstation).

Polnareff
01-01-2015, 03:29 AM
Nintendo pulled out because Sony had in the contract that they were to get more of the profits (naturally, since they were the ones developing the system, with Nintendo along for the ride). They balked at that and thus the PSX we know now was born. All because of Nintendo. Think about that.

Ayen
01-01-2015, 12:20 PM

I love this game. It's available to play on PS2 on the Sega Collection and probably other consoles too.

I have it on my Xbox 360 along with a bunch of other Sega classics that I need to get around to playing eventually.

maybee
01-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Imagine how powerful they'd be if they'd have stuck it out with Sony

lol dumbest thing Nintendo did, dropping their deal with Sony.

Or could thing, since the PlayStation 4 the Wii 2 would of sounded terrible. 8D

Spooniest
01-05-2015, 07:31 AM
I know this is old news but I wanted to weigh in.

When the SNES came along, it was kind of a joke. Super Mario World was pretty good, but if you'd played Mario 3, you weren't getting that much more. Sonic the Hedgehog was going strong, and it seemed like nothing could stop him. Zelda III came out, everyone loved it, but the Hedgehog kept the hits coming with Sonic 2.

You have no idea how big the release of Sonic 2 was. You weren't there, you wouldn't get it.

They advertised the release...that hadn't really been done in video games before. They made an awfully big deal of it, and damned if they didn't deliver.

And just as it seemed Sonic was ready to pummel the crap out of the poor SNES and its Hyper Zones and F-Zeros once and for all, something strange happened.

Street Fighter II came out for the SNES, and we all breathed a collective sigh of relief that we could now practice these freaking moves without busting out another roll of quarters for the machine (or the local assclowns) to take.

:D Super Mario Kart came next, and then Starfox, Mega Man X, and...

Uh...Super Metroid...

The Genesis put forth a valiant effort, even being as brazen as to include the Mortal Kombat "Blood Code" where the SNES did not, but its sound processor just started to sound irritating after a few playthroughs of Zelda III.

Super Metroid just blew the freaking crap out of it, Hyper Beam style. Final Fantasy and Squaresoft in general also found their footing, and would go on to make history in the next generation.

The games that were ported to both consoles heavily favored the SNES, as its SPU was just so much better at porting the Arcade-style tunes effectively. Samurai Shodown in particular sounded beautiful on the SNES, if a bit muddy. The Genesis version may have been technically closer to the Neo Geo, but the sample rate is ear-bleeding.

Art of Fighting for the SNES even managed to include the zooming camera!!

It just doesn't get better or faster than a SNES. Even the N64 will not get you more bang for your gaming buck. Emulation of it is spotty, even to this day, unless you own a particularly powerful computer.

Sorry, Sega...the gamers of the 90s had spoken, and they decided to play it loud.

Bubba
01-05-2015, 09:54 AM
When the SNES came along, it was kind of a joke.

I'm not sure it was a joke, but I agree it certainly didn't have an immediate impact. In fact, when it was released the only two games that were released were Super Mario World and Pilotwings. Not much in the way of launch titles even though both games were excellent.

Nintendo certainly didn't rush the release of the SNES. It was over a full year after the Genesis/Megadrive was released before the SNES appeared which would be unheard of today. The main reason for this is because the NES was still making them so much money they were in no rush at all to release the SNES.

It just doesn't get better or faster than a SNES.

Technically, the Genesis/Megadrive was more than twice as fast as the SNES. While the SNES could handle more colours and sprites and was more powerful, the Genesis/Megadrive ran at 7.67 MHz whilst the SNES was only a meagre 3.58MHz. This is the reason that many SNES games suffered a lot from slowdown. Anyone who has played Super R-Type can attest to this!

Sorry, Sega...the gamers of the 90s had spoken, and they decided to play it loud.

Agreed. There was just no touching the SNES at the time for the sheer quantity of quality games for it. Still my favourite console of all time.

Spooniest
01-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Technically, the Genesis/Megadrive was more than twice as fast as the SNES. While the SNES could handle more colours and sprites and was more powerful, the Genesis/Megadrive ran at 7.67 MHz whilst the SNES was only a meagre 3.58MHz. This is the reason that many SNES games suffered a lot from slowdown. Anyone who has played Super R-Type can attest to this!

So you're saying you could make a Super Nintendo more powerful by including a coprocessor? 3.58MHz + 3.58MHz = 7.16 MHz, unless my math is rusty.

Making the SNES more powerful might be the mistake that dooms us all.

Ayen
01-06-2015, 01:32 AM
Related: http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/20/heres-who-won-each-console-war/

This shows the winner of each console war starting with the SNES/GEN battle. It shows how close the two were in sales, too.

Did not expect the Wii to win the last one.