PDA

View Full Version : Sewing projects for beginners

Jinx
12-28-2014, 12:21 AM
As some of you might know, I got a sewing machine for Christmas this year! It's awesome, because I've wanted one for awhile, but the bad thing is I have NO IDEA HOW TO SEW!

It does come with a DVD, but I was wondering if anyone else here has a sewing machine/can sew. What are some good projects for beginners?

For everyone else: What are some things you'd be interesting in sewing if you could?

Colonel Angus
12-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Sew yourself a White Mage robe, w/ the red triangle trim.

Shorty
12-28-2014, 03:01 AM
I used to sew with my mom and grandmother when I was a kid. Just little things, though, I've never done a big project and I'm certain I've forgotten how to do it since.

I'd say start off with something simple, like scarves. Super duper easy.

Night Fury
12-28-2014, 03:44 AM
Cushion covers are super easy to make since you don't really need a difficult 'plan' just squares cut to the right size and whizz em together.

On the same note, but a little more time consuming is a patchwork quilt.

Pumpkin
12-28-2014, 04:40 AM
I'm not good at sewing but I did sew sharky a miata teddy bear for his birthday one year. It doesn't look professional but it is obviously a bear. Took me a few weeks

Calliope
12-28-2014, 05:01 AM
I came in here to post almost exactly what Locky said. I don't think that has happened before!

Pike
12-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Caveat that I don't have a sewing machine and also don't know how to sew outside of acting like a complete idiot with a needle and thread.

That said it's really easy to rip up all your old, holey blue jeans and turn them into cat toys. AKA so easy that even Pike can do it!

I feel bad throwing away good denim so I cut the old jeans up into squares, make little pouches that I fill with catnip and stuffing, iron a stick-on velcro strip to it, and voila!

Alternatively I cut a whole bunch of thin denim strips, superglue them together, and attach them via string to a wooden rod. Throw in a couple of feathers and raffia paper and my cat goes nuts.

If you don't have a cat look up "crafts you can make with old jeans" in your favorite search engine, there's a bunch of cute, easy stuff you can make.

CimminyCricket
12-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Start off with a pillow! It's pretty easy! Take your pretty fabric and sew it together in a shape that you want, but you have to do it with the fabric inside out! After you've worked your way 3/4 of the way around your design, stop and flip it back right side out, stuff it with stuffing and close it up! I did it as an art project once in home economics back when that was required in my school district.

fire_of_avalon
12-31-2014, 03:04 AM
Pin cushion. That was the first thing I ever sewed and I still have it. Also sack type handbags and pjs pants are easy. I made all of those.

Before you start to make an actual thing to use though, make a lot of stitch and pattern samples so you get practice. Darts are hard. Pleats are easy. Etc.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-31-2014, 04:01 AM
I made a pillow once! But I've only ever hand sewn. Hand sewing fucking sucks.

Shlup
12-31-2014, 04:49 AM
Stick with small things until you get the hang of it; even a simple dress is difficult because of its size. Start with maybe a throw pillow, as others have mentioned.

noxious.sunshine
01-01-2015, 06:15 PM
What everyone else said.

Start small and work your way up.

My mom was a sewer in a clothing factory and she'd make outfits for Little Me & my sister at home all the time.

I had a class production (50s theme Grease medley, whole 7th or 8the grade), my mom got home from the truck and made me a poodle skirt by hand (complete with poodle!) in like 7 hours & found a short sleeved turtleneck sweater & ironed my initial on it XD