PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever broken a bone?

Pike
02-16-2015, 05:01 PM
I've gotten lucky and avoided this fate somehow! :)

The Summoner of Leviathan
Nope but suspected hairline fracture once. And there is the time I fucked up my tailbone but nothing officially broken!

Pumpkin
No. I'm expecting it to happen eventually though. Especially now that I am without healthcare. That would just be my luck

metagloria
02-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Wrecked an ATV pretty nastily over Thanksgiving, but somehow walked away without breaking anything. My sternum was sore for months though. Other than that, I've been fortunate enough to not break anything despite some...questionable physical decisions.

Loony BoB
02-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Ankle (car) and hand (light bulb). I say hand, technically it's the finger that broke but the break was within the palm area of the hand, so yeah.

I Took the Red Pill
02-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Yes, twice, but neither time in a serious way.

First time was when I was wrestling with my cousin on Easter when I was like 5 or 6 years old. I jumped off a couch, he rolled out of the way, I slammed into the ground and somehow broke my collarbone.

Second time I was 19 or 20, really troutfaced drunk, tossing a football around with a friend. I ended up all-out sprinting to try and catch up to a pass he'd thrown, tripped over my own legs, and jammed my right index finger into the ground. Ended up being a broken distal phalanx. Doc wanted to break it and reset it, but this was right before finals week, and I didn't want to be all looped out on Vicodin when trying to study for and/or take my exams. So to this day the end of my right index finger doesn't completely straighten out when I hold my hand out flat. Not really noticeable unless I specifically point it out to someone, and tbh I kind of actually like it. I will be 80 years old and will always remember the time my stupid drunken ass injured myself because of my perpetually crooked finger.

Egami
02-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Hasn't happened to me yet (thankfully).

Ayen
02-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Nope, and I'm hoping it never will.

Freya
02-16-2015, 08:01 PM
I broke my left arm in 5th grade falling off the playground? :D

Mirage
02-16-2015, 11:00 PM
never broken a bone!

escobert
02-16-2015, 11:01 PM
Broken nose multiple times, broken hand and broken ankle.

Slothy
02-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Nope. Not for lack of trying sometimes though.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-16-2015, 11:33 PM
I broke my foot in high school because I was jumping over stuff I shouldn't have been and landed bad on a hill.

I also cracked a couple of ribs after going through the Marine Corps Martial Art Instructor course.

Chibi Youkai
02-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Yep, broke my left middle finger in three places falling down a metal ladder-well. Ended up having to have surgery because it never got set. It now no longer sits strait and some days won't bend properly.

Egami
02-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Nope. Not for lack of trying sometimes though.

Heh, I used to do so many crazy stuff on my bike and skateboard in my kid-teenage years that I don't know how I didn't come off with any scars or broken bones.

theundeadhero
02-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Nope, somehow never have.

fat_moogle
02-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Nope.

(touch wood)

Hopefully it'll stay that way. If I do break a bone then I'm holding Pike personally responsible!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-17-2015, 03:44 AM
I've never broke a bone but I did slide on some marble floor and scrapped my knee-cap open. The cut was so deep that you could see the meat, the bone and the blood. I had stitches and it took weeks to heal properly.

Skyblade
02-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Arm, leg, ribs, pelvis.

0/10, would not play again.

Iceglow
02-17-2015, 08:17 AM
I've broken too many bones to list here, seriously. Actually, we'll try. I may be here a while:

Head:

- Shattered Jaw between the upper canines, this consisted of over 16 individual breaks. I had my lower jaw broken in 2 places to help fix the resulting damage.
- At least 3 separate occasions where my nose has been broken.
- Fracture to the rear of the skull. This happened when my jaw was shattered though there was an incident a few years down the line which involves a marble door step what could have done this for me then too.

Upper body:

- 3 broken ribs

Arms:

- Broken wrist (right)
- Twice fractured bones in the elbow (right)
- Broken all fingers except the thumb on my right hand, broken 2 on the left hand.

Lower body:

- Broke my tailbone ice skating.
- Right kneecap got smashed in 2 places.
- Right ankle got broken in Year 4
- Toes, pretty much all of these have been broken at some point or another. Both feet.

To add insult to injury; as if recovering from kneecapping your leg and breaking your ankle once isn't bad enough my right foot was also the one which went under the wheel of a vehicle. This did not break the bones (purely in my doctors opinion because they'd been broken before meaning they were slightly thicker than average) but it did smurf the medial ligaments and achillies tendon.

Somehow despite all these breaks and injuries over the years, especially to the right side of my body I'm pretty fortunate not to have much in the way of restricted motion/movement.

Night Fury
02-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Never, but I've put a hole in one.

Psychotic
02-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Steve is like EoFF's lightning rod for broken bones. Keep up the good work, son.

Sephex
02-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Nope, and I hope it will stay that way!

Old Manus
02-17-2015, 12:39 PM
I broke my right index finger once while playing cricket, when I was fielding in close and the ball got hit right at me. The captain was most unhappy that I had not only dropped a catch but that it had run away to the boundary for four runs. Nobody believed that I'd done any serious damage so I had to go in to bat in the next innings with 9 fingers. Not a course of action I'd recommend.

Dark_Valentine
02-17-2015, 02:00 PM
I have broken just about every toe,except my big toe, and my right pinky finger (which is now crooked lol). I've also fractured my arm because I'm really clumsy...

noxious.sunshine
02-18-2015, 01:00 AM
I broke both of my right wrist bones in 6th grade while rollerblading.

My wrist still doesn't look right to me.

And I'm pretty sure I broke my tail bone last year when I slid down our stairs and busted my ass.

Bubba
02-18-2015, 10:23 AM
In my twenties, I was drunk at 3am and tried to hail a cab which was on the other side of the road. I didn't spot the one coming on my side was thrown to the other side of the road.

Broke my femur in two place, displaced my shoulder, lots of cuts and bruises. In hospital for nearly three weeks and off work for over three months.

Iceglow
02-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Steve is like EoFF's lightning rod for broken bones. Keep up the good work, son.

Can I uh quit that job because it sucks?

Seriously, you know you've done too many broken bones when things like toes and fingers don't merit trips to hospital. You just put them straight, then tape and splint them before knocking back some pain pills and carrying on.It's all the doctor would do and frankly the 4 hours in A&E's waiting room doesn't seem to be worth the time off.

(I've done that when I fractured two fingers, I've also re-located fingers and thumbs when dislocating them).

Winter Nights
02-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Nope. I did trip and bang my noggin on a generator, though. I was about six-ish. Needed stitches, but no broken bones.

Nate
02-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Broke an arm falling out of a bunk bed when I was 10. Broke a finger when I was 19 getting it caught in a car door.

And Steve, it might be time to invest in a bear suit. Or just coat yourself in protective foam.

CimminyCricket
02-26-2015, 12:53 AM
I've been fortunate enough to have never broken anything! I've come pretty close, but thank goodness I haven't.

fire_of_avalon
02-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Nary a one

LocoColt04
02-26-2015, 04:35 AM
Steve, I might be your only competition in this regard.

Of the 206 bones in the human body, I've broken 37 of them - with ...six, I think, being broken more than once. These are not good odds! I'm not going to list every finger or toe, but the noteworthy things are below. I like Steve's idea of sorting them based upon body region, so let's do that!

Fractured skull - over the left eye, hard to see but really easy to feel
Broken collarbone - left side
Broken ribs x3 - left side, on two occasions, SAME THREE RIBS (such bullshit)
Broken forearm - right side
Broken wrist - left side, bonus broken thumb and joints in three places
Broken wrist - right side, twice, in slightly different spots
Broken foot - right side, metatarsal connecting primary toe to ankle, TWICE in a two month span

And then lots of fingers and toes and that time my jaw broke and etc and etc and etc

Agent Proto
02-26-2015, 05:02 AM
Don't think I've ever broken a bone before. Don't expect it to happen in the near future either. I'm usually safe and avoid trying to injure myself where I could break a bone.

Madame Adequate
02-26-2015, 05:21 AM

Of the 206 bones in the human body, I've broken 37 of them - with ...six, I think, being broken more than once. These are not good odds! I'm not going to list every finger or toe, but the noteworthy things are below. I like Steve's idea of sorting them based upon body region, so let's do that!

Broken foot - right side, metatarsal connecting primary toe to ankle, TWICE in a two month span

And then lots of fingers and toes and that time my jaw broke and etc and etc and etc

Are you two professional stuntmen or something?

Iceglow
02-26-2015, 06:05 AM

Are you two professional stuntmen or something?

To answer Huxley first... No. I wish I was at least then I'd get shit loads of money for going through the pain of multiple broken bones! Seriously, when that shit stops becoming some big pain to you, you begin to worry. I've always justified it to myself that I'm pretty lucky in most other situations so on a swings and roundabouts sort of way, I get away with shit elsewhere, somethings gotta pay the price. Usually with me, it's physical damage sustained to my body.

Moving on to Loco, dude we should like form a club or something haha... must have broken at least 10 bones to join! Though I feel you have it worse, are you stateside? Your medical insurance if you are must be horrendous. At least for me I get social medical care from being in the UK (gotta love that NHS, despite it being more than a little shit with some situations). I'm yet to break a long bone *touch wood* (not super paranoid bout this stuff but hey-ho no harm done) in my arms or legs, guess I've been lucky with that so far.

Bubba
02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Remind me never to attend a meet-up where both Loco and Steve are in attendance.

radicaledward124
02-26-2015, 11:34 AM
I broke the growth plate of the second knuckle of my right index finger as a kid, but that's about as broke as i got.

Ceiladora
02-27-2015, 01:30 AM
I've had my bones surgically drilled into, so the docs can remove the rotted marrow and replant them with some matching marrow. :phew:

Not sure if that classifies as having broken bones, but mildly it does.

LocoColt04
02-27-2015, 05:50 AM
Ceiladora, that's awful! I can't imagine the healing from that was fun.

Moving on to Loco, dude we should like form a club or something haha... must have broken at least 10 bones to join! Though I feel you have it worse, are you stateside? Your medical insurance if you are must be horrendous. At least for me I get social medical care from being in the UK (gotta love that NHS, despite it being more than a little shit with some situations). I'm yet to break a long bone *touch wood* (not super paranoid bout this stuff but hey-ho no harm done) in my arms or legs, guess I've been lucky with that so far.
Eh, I usually have spent my entire deductible within the first 3-4 months of the coverage year, so the rest of the year is free healthcare. It balances out about the same, I suppose.

DISCLAIMER: I am aware it is more expensive, regardless of how often I actually have to pay.

Ceiladora
02-27-2015, 06:04 AM
Ceiladora, that's awful! I can't imagine the healing from that was fun.

Moving on to Loco, dude we should like form a club or something haha... must have broken at least 10 bones to join! Though I feel you have it worse, are you stateside? Your medical insurance if you are must be horrendous. At least for me I get social medical care from being in the UK (gotta love that NHS, despite it being more than a little trout with some situations). I'm yet to break a long bone *touch wood* (not super paranoid bout this stuff but hey-ho no harm done) in my arms or legs, guess I've been lucky with that so far.
Eh, I usually have spent my entire deductible within the first 3-4 months of the coverage year, so the rest of the year is free healthcare. It balances out about the same, I suppose.

DISCLAIMER: I am aware it is more expensive, regardless of how often I actually have to pay.

Oh Hell no, and I was a little kid and barely in my digit age when I've had to undergo the exhausting and unnerving operation. I was put on pain meds and some medication I've still to take regularly. My limbs were pretty fragile and had to avoid physical activities back then but it does mark something important for me; survival nonetheless.

And yes, I still endure occasional nightmares and some fears about hospitals. It certainly left that kind of decadence in my life but the docs gotta do what they need. They get cred and respect from me despite my anxiety of the past circumstances.

Spooniest
02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Breaking my collarbone when I was 13 led to me picking up guitar

So it wasn't all bad...I just wish it hadn't hurt LIKE A BITCH

I screamed and cried.

blackmage_nuke
02-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Only wish bones

Shiny
02-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Answered no, but then forgot that my nose is actually kind of broken and has been for like a year now. Here's to hoping it some how gets unbroken without surgery, ha. :monster:

I was playing with my dog and her giant ass hit my face. She got up so quick because she spazzed at a bag crinkling. Later I went to an ENT with nasal problems and they did an X-Ray on my nose showing it was fractured internally.