PDA

View Full Version : Who had the better 2D platform games: Mario or Sonic?

Pike
02-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Discounting the later 3D stuff - who was better in the 16-bit era? And who did you personally prefer?

Pumpkin
02-24-2015, 05:01 PM
I didn't really play these games :shobon:

Vermachtnis
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 and World are two of the best games ever.

Egami
02-24-2015, 06:51 PM
I'd got with Mario.

metagloria
02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Super Mario World is better than any Sonic game. But Sonic 2, 3, and & Knuckles are better than every other Mario game. I voted Sonic.

Spooniest
02-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Mario. Sorry, Sega, but you lost this war for a reason.

Sephex
02-25-2015, 03:20 AM
Mario, but by no means does Sonic lose that battle for me with ease. There are some Sonic games from back then that I liked better than Mario, but the Mario games I liked I hold in much higher regard.

So yes, I was that kid that owned a SNES and Genesis inb4 "MEGADRIVE!" by non US peeps. You may throw your internet tomatoes at me now.

maybee
02-25-2015, 05:33 AM
Sonic

The only Mario game I kinda liked was the 3rd one^^;

Madame Adequate
02-25-2015, 05:42 AM
I love the Sonic games and I consider 1 through S&K to be masterpieces - and I have more fun with them - but I'm not sure I can say the Mario games were anything less than truly revelatory and not just genre-defining, but industry defining.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-25-2015, 06:28 AM
I probably played Sanic more in the end. Sonic 1 was fun, but I didn't like that one as much as 2. I recognize Sanic 3 and Kankles is technically the best of the Sanic games, but I still prefer 2.

Also, I really like the first Sanic on Game Gear. I think it's the same one that was released on the Master System, but I'm not completely sure on that. It was much more satisfying to me than the Mario Land games on Gameboy.

Mario World is better than them all though.

Bubba
02-25-2015, 08:38 AM
It has to be Mario for me.

Don't get me wrong, Sonic was an excellent series of games but the sharpness of controls of Mario and genius level design means that it wins hands down. I always thought the Sonic controls were a little loose and frustrating. Both series were fantastic though.

Del Murder
02-25-2015, 07:31 PM
The console wars are over. Sega lost. Mario 4 lyfe

Bolivar
02-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Since the OP limits this to the 16-bit era, I have to say Sonic - I just didn't enjoy Super Mario World anywhere near as much as its 8-bit forebears. Sonic 2, 3, and S&K were much more memorable and significant for gaming.

I don't know who made the music for SMW or Yoshi's Island but he sure wasn't Michael Jackson.

Rez09
02-25-2015, 08:00 PM
This is actually a pretty rough choice for me, as my two favorite Mario titles are available in All-Star + World, but I enjoyed the Sonic titles of the era more as a whole.

Bubba
02-25-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm glad Sonic has a fair amount of votes in this poll. Its contribution to video games can not be underestimated.

Slothy
02-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Super Mario World alone did more to push the platformer genre forward than any Sonic game. I'm not even going to bring Yoshi's Island into this because that's just not fair.

The original Sonic on the other hand wasn't really that good. The foundation was there it just took Sonic 2 to make something interesting out of it, in part thanks to the addition of the spin dash and some cool level design (even if there are some parts that are just fucking bullshit). But after that most of the additions just got in the way of the main gameplay rather than adding to it. Knuckles was kind of cool since his climbing and gliding brought something really different compared to Sonic as opposed to simply flying short distances like Tails. But was it as ground breaking as the stuff Mario did at the time? Not even close to be honest. The games were mostly still Sonic 2 with a fresh coat of paint and some annoying new game mechanics. Now sure, Sonic 2 with a fresh coat of paint is still fun, even if they were a bit flawed, but they're none of them are a Mario World.

CimminyCricket
02-26-2015, 12:52 AM
It's really impossible for me to choose. Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 were my favorite games growing up as a child. Sonic was my favorite thing ever for a long time growing up, while I really just enjoyed playing Mario.

This wasn't a fair poll. Shame on you, Pike.

Vyk
02-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Pretty easy for me. The only Mario games I've ever been interested enough in beating was the first New Super Mario Bros. on DS (which was a blast) and Mario 64 (which was a chore). None of the Mario-related 16-bit games really grabbed my attention. They were alright for wasting a few minutes of my life, but that was about it. I'll admit I enjoy Sonic 1 purely for nostalgic factors. But Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles I still find extremely enjoyable. And I've beaten Sonic 1, 2, and 3 many many times

Ayen
02-26-2015, 05:59 AM
Interesting question. I asked this question two years in a row with my Mario/Sonic comparisons, and Mario won both times. Not sure who's going to come out on top for me when I review the third games. I'll substitute the NES games with All Stars in this case. Close race. This is my annual Thanksgiving tradition for a reason.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-26-2015, 05:13 PM
It's also Mario for me, but Sega made a fantastic franchise and has nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to 2-D Sonic platforming games.

This statement does not include spin-offs or the 3D era. Although Sonic Spinball was pretty freaking fun.

Electroshock Therapy
02-26-2015, 05:18 PM
I guess I'd go with Mario. I never thought Sonic was fun. But I'm not the biggest fan of Mario either. The whole momentum mechanic was always an annoyance to me.

Bubba
02-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Who is the one person who doesn't play games with either of these characters?!

Whoever you are, make yourself know. You are formally invited to my house for a day of gaming education.

Randy
02-27-2015, 10:00 AM
It's gotta be Mario really. I think the best Sonic games are better than some of the Mario games. But they've never been better than the best Mario games (in 2D: Super Mario World)

Skyblade
02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I liked the Sonic games (the good ones: the original through & Knuckles [and Spinball]), but I don't really liked the Mario platformers.

With one exception. Super Mario World is easily my favorite game in the entire genre, and I have played it to death. I've done all exit, all dragon coin runs multiple times. That game is as close to perfect as a platformer can get.

So, while I enjoyed more of the Sonic games overall, that single title pushes the Mario series to the top.

metagloria
02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
I liked the Sonic games (the good ones: the original through & Knuckles [and Spinball]), but I don't really liked the Mario platformers.

With one exception. Super Mario World is easily my favorite game in the entire genre, and I have played it to death. I've done all exit, all dragon coin runs multiple times. That game is as close to perfect as a platformer can get.

So, while I enjoyed more of the Sonic games overall, that single title pushes the Mario series to the top.

I agree with everything you said except I think the total combined quality of Sonic 2, 3, and &K elevates it as a series above Mario.

Leigh
02-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Since I never had anything other than an Amiga 1200 till 1996, I feel I never ever got the chance to experience any of these games in full during my youth. I obviously knew them and recognised each but I preferred Donkey Kong Country over any traditional Sonic or Mario game when I did get a chance to play a Super Nintendo at a friends.

Superfrog, Brian the Lion, Trolls, Zool, etc was about as good as it got for me. =P Based on aesthethics - I'd probably prefer Sonic.

Christmas
03-28-2022, 03:50 AM
Sonic for me. I prefered the speed and the cute little critters compared to a random italian plumber. Also, I dun like tortoise abuse. :bigsmile: