PDA

View Full Version : "I love the game but hate its fans"

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2015, 12:09 AM
On Facebook I've made the terrible mistake of liking a few Persona fan pages only to be brought face to face with the obnoxious weeboo side of the fanbase that spends most of its time arguing over whether P3 hero or P4 hero is a bigger Memetic sex god or which of the female characters will forever be that person's waifu. Hell even dropping in on forums with fellow Persona fans I can't help but really find the whole thing demeaning and silly what they argue over. Granted all fanbases are like this to a point but my question here is whether you found a game you loved only to plunge into the fanbase to talk about this game you love to discover the fanbase seems to consist solely of self-entitled assholes.

Madame Adequate
01-02-2015, 12:23 AM
>Big ol' weeaboo complaining about weeaboos

Although yeah I don't have anything to do with MLP anymore because of all those horsefuckers who infest it. I just want to like a stupid cartoon for little girls.

Slothy
01-02-2015, 12:24 AM
my question here is whether you found a game you loved only to plunge into the fanbase to talk about this game you love to discover the fanbase seems to consist solely of self-entitled assholes.

Final Fantasy.

But on the complete opposite side of things, I hate FFXIII but love some of its fans. I have bad taste in people.

Pike
01-02-2015, 12:32 AM
This is kind of how I feel about the "video game fandom" as a whole. It's tough to find somewhere that isn't full of either a.) neckbeards who won't shut up about being oppressed by the devs or whatever, or b.) This sort of weird group of people who like to hide on the edge of the video game fandom, acting like they're above it/too old for it/whatever while not leaving it.

I want to meet other people who are just as enthused about games as I am without crying nonstop about GamerGate or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, proudly going around wearing "KILL ALL GAMERS" shirts before going home to play World of Warcraft (this is a real thing, I see it on Twitter all the time)

Anyways, that's the end of my rant

Shorty
01-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Gaming fans in general who act exclusive to others based on the how frequently they play games or their game taste give me a huge humanity turnoff.

World of Warcraft. No thanks. Additionally, I feel like everyone I've ever met who is in love with Call of Duty is a huge jagweed.

Mirage
01-02-2015, 12:55 AM
I hate to admit it, but I have a big problem taking serious cod players seriously.

Generally, I am pretty reserved when talking about my enthusiasm for certain games. I'll admit to liking them, but if the conversation takes the direction of "which character is da hottest/coolest/" or something like that, I'll probably just let it die. I'd rather talk about the game's world and setting, or the game mechanics or music.

Pike
01-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Gaming fans in general who act exclusive to others based on the how frequently they play games or their game taste give me a huge humanity turnoff.

Sorry :(

Madame Adequate
01-02-2015, 12:57 AM

:( But...

Sephiroth
01-02-2015, 01:22 AM
It is over 10 years now that I found out.

Slothy
01-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Shorty hates da PC masta race. :(

Vyk
01-02-2015, 01:48 AM
I too cannot take COD enthusiasts seriously. In fact, I recently honored Bolivar as the first fan of the series to say something that I didn't immediately dismiss the way a politician would with the opinion of a 5 year old child. Anyone who gives up any semblance of life to spend 12 hours a day dedicated to one game for months at a time has a problem. And World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Dota, League of Legends, and probably now Hearthstone seem to attract these people. And I feel like they have no will or opinion of their own. They're just mindlessly addicted sheep. Not sure what it is about those games and those people, but its a problem. I've seen families fall apart from this and it makes no sense

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Shorty hates da PC masta race. :(

Well oppressed classes usually rise up against the bourgeoisie eventually. ;)

Pike
01-02-2015, 01:59 AM
Actually some of the best people I've met in gaming are diehard World of Warcraft players. I stuck around the meta community for years after quitting because they are genuinely good people.

You just have to find where the good fans are. Admittedly difficult sometimes.

Pumpkin
01-02-2015, 03:09 AM
I dunno, just people who are jerks about gaming. Let people like what they like and play what they play. I do actually enjoy discussing games with those who have a difference in opinion than I do, because it helps me see games from a different perspective. But those are mature, respectful discussions. If its like "lol u liek ff8 loser" then I mean...

But I haven't found a community that's largely like that

Freya
01-02-2015, 03:18 AM
Final Fantasy. Like ugh. I've ventured to other fandoms but the FF one is so polar between new and old and they get so grumpy about it.

But yes, gaming fandoms in general are full of ugh. In fact the internet is just full of ugh. I HATE EVERYTHING. I'M GOING TO MY ROOM. :mad2:

Night Fury
01-02-2015, 11:17 AM
There are good and bad eggs in all fandoms.

I do agree with Shorty though that I dislike those kind of 'elitist' gamers - the ones who are rude and act all "omg you like Mass Effect trolololol that's so mainstream like you're not even a gamer."

Just, no.

Night Fury
01-02-2015, 11:42 AM
In which case I feel the need to defend myself a bit; namely, when someone goes "I play [whatever]" and I go "OMG YOU NEED TO PLAY [similar but more obscure game]",

Yeah, but saying that is different than saying "omg that game sucks lol lol you aren't a real gamer" there's a huge difference between suggesting other games and just being a douche. I don't think anyone in this thread was talking about you. At all.

Pike
01-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I deleted some posts of mine that I thought were derailing. Apologies for making the thread look wonky.

Ayen
01-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Resident Evil fans complaining about Jill's new face model. There was a 30+ page thread on the Capcom forums about it :roll2

Karifean
01-02-2015, 02:38 PM
The CoD community caused quite a few headaches back when I was still playing it, and ever since I've just stayed away from that kind of environment. I have forums with awesome fans of the games I like (and yes EoFF is naturally one of them) and stick with those. Works out pretty well.

Shiny
01-02-2015, 05:33 PM
League of Legends fans that spend a majority of their life playing the game and act like the game is a second coming. I guess this can also apply to some World of Warcraft fans.

Holier than thou hardcore gamers who think they're better than "casual gamers" and like to flaunt how many obscure games they've played.

Pike
01-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Holier than thou hardcore gamers who think they're better than "casual gamers" and like to flaunt how many obscure games they've played.

But this is all I have in life :(

Shorty
01-02-2015, 07:25 PM
but it's not a competition D:

Psychotic
01-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Halo and FIFA spring instantly to mind. It's probably no coincidence that it's upon those two games that I have inflicted my greatest trolling efforts.

Madame Adequate
01-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Just what I'd expect a casual who is losing to say. It is, in fact, a competition. And among the whole swathe of Mankind's sad and misbegotten numbers, Pike alone can rival my victories.

Forsaken Lover
01-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Competitive Game Fans. You know the ones. The ones who will sneer at you if you try to talk about the story in something like StarCraft or most fighting games. Because all that matters is the gameplay, nothing else.

Idiots.

Metal Gear fans are also pretty bad.

Pike
01-02-2015, 07:44 PM
The ones who will sneer at you if you try to talk about the story in something like StarCraft

I have a confession. I put thousands of hours into StarCraft multiplayer and never touched the story campaign mode. :shifty:

(Actually I did once, then got bored and quit it.)

Ayen
01-02-2015, 07:48 PM
The ones who will sneer at you if you try to talk about the story in something like StarCraft

I have a confession. I put thousands of hours into StarCraft multiplayer and never touched the story campaign mode. :shifty:

:nonono:

StarCraft II has the best story I've seen in any RTS game ever. Even beating out Command and Conquer.

Shorty
01-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Just what I'd expect a casual who is losing to say. It is, in fact, a competition. And among the whole swathe of Mankind's sad and misbegotten numbers, Pike alone can rival my victories.

Just know that Shiny and I shake our heads at you as we bask in coolness while you attempt to shame us in your nerdery.

Pike
01-02-2015, 07:55 PM
as we bask in coolness

I already know I'm an uncool loser, don't worry. I don't have to be reminded. xD

:nonono:

Well the multiplayer and custom maps were loads more fun! Nothing against people who liked the story, of course. But it wasn't my style. :shobon:

Madame Adequate
01-02-2015, 07:56 PM

Just know that Shiny and I shake our heads at you as we bask in coolness while you attempt to shame us in your nerdery.

Uh yeah, you're basking in MY coolness you dork, like the moon is a poor reflection of the light of the glorious sun.

moonflower

starchild

Shorty
01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
sorry guys we're talking about gaming fans whose behavior turn you off and if you are one of those people who act superior because of the games you play welp xD

We still love you but we also roll our eyes are you :heart:

Pike
01-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I've accepted that I will never be in the Cool Kid Club at EoFF High. You know, the place where Shorty and Shiny and Jinx and Locky and them all hang out. But that's okay. At least Huxley and I have got like... the LARP Club, the Chess Club, and the Magic the Gathering Club. Right?

...right?

Shiny
01-02-2015, 08:49 PM

Yeah :colbert:

I forgot to mention also Sims fans. Mostly because the weird stuff I found the Mod the Sims site. Some of it was really creepy. A dead baby mod that you can eat? Really?

Madame Adequate
01-02-2015, 08:55 PM
I remember when Paul made me eat foa's baby!

But yeah modders are a special, special breed and everyone should usually stay far away.

PS: http://i.imgur.com/9uqHKep.gif

black orb
01-02-2015, 09:08 PM
On Facebook I've made the terrible mistake of liking a few Persona fan pages only to be brought face to face with the obnoxious weeboo side of the fanbase that spends most of its time arguing over whether P3 hero or P4 hero is a bigger Memetic sex god or which of the female characters will forever be that person's waifu. Hell even dropping in on forums with fellow Persona fans I can't help but really find the whole thing demeaning and silly what they argue over. Granted all fanbases are like this to a point but my question here is whether you found a game you loved only to plunge into the fanbase to talk about this game you love to discover the fanbase seems to consist solely of self-entitled assholes.
>>> Dont let it bother you, there are more important things in life.. :luca:

Bolivar
01-02-2015, 09:20 PM
I like a lot of different series and genres but I don't think there's any particular one where I would bemoan its fans. You get all types wherever you go but I'd say generally most people are going to be ok.

Gotta cosign what others have said, especially Pike and the large emerging swaths of annoying gamers she identified (hope she doesn't actually lump me in either of those categories!) I'm also generally tired of the click-bait cycle of articles proclaiming Nintendo is doomed, Sony is disappointing, and anti-consumer practices should be pragmatically tolerated or, in some cases, praised for their austerity. Even worse are the readerships who actually rally to the comments section and defend those posts as not actually click-bait.

Aulayna
01-02-2015, 09:38 PM
I hate the gaming fandom in general.

I fondly remember the days of the internet in it's infancy when people would just banter about stuff they enjoyed playing. How we'd spend entire lunchbreaks reminiscing over some crazy stuff we did with C4 in with guards in the toilet in MGS.

These days it just seems to be an e-peen wagging fest of everyone trying to justify why the games they like are better than the games everyone else likes. Usually mixed in with absurd levels of tin-foil hatting about how developers are just trying to bend them over the couch and fuck them rawly. Or general gamer conspiracy theories.

Also the whole "you like that, that's gay" "Battlefield is better than CoD/CoD is better than Battlefield" - who the fuck cares, if you're having fun playing it that's all that really matters.

Oh and the fact that the console war is still going on, ironically in the same breath that people get tin-foil hats on about being screwed over. When the console war from back during the 16-bit era, was just that... a marketting ploy.

It's just, eugh.

Although this is also largely how I feel about 90% of the internet at large these days, where people just post candid opinions with little thought or reflection put into them. Or counter an actual thought out opinion with a meme because they couldn't be arsed to read it/consider a different view point.

As for a specific fandom, both League of Legends and WarCraft (and maybe StarCraft), they all have ridiculously toxic communities due to the sheer size of those brands - but at the same time they have also sprung up some of the most passionate and creative communities I've seen around video games too. It's just amazing how certain segments can be complete polar opposites of the others.

Madame Adequate
01-03-2015, 12:25 AM
All MOBAs have terrible communities. Except maybe, maaaayyyybe Awesomenauts, but I'm far from convinced that it's a good community rather than my personal luck.

Vyk
01-03-2015, 12:29 AM
I just remembered, I tried to make the biggest Shining Force community on the internet my home before I came here. That place was ridiculous. They were seriously unwelcoming to newbies. They had rules where you HAD to make an introduction thread when you joined. You were NOT allowed to mention Final Fantasy because the site creator and her clique hates the series and thinks its not worth ever talking about so they had this thing where they'd compare games to "The Series Which Shall Not Be Named". They were ridiculously elitist and made me kinda think twice about one of my favorite series. Really glad I left that place and never looked back. Now I can enjoy my series without cringing thoughts of how ridiculous its fans are

Polnareff
01-03-2015, 02:06 PM
The fucking Mega Man games, man.

Mega Man has the whiniest, most ungrateful fanbase in history.

Whereas the fans of the OTHER blue guy that looks vaguely like a hedgehog are right in being pissed about that character turning into a pile of flaming camel dung, Mega Man fans have no right to complain. But they do, anyway.

KentaRawr!
01-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I tend to kind of sit at the edge of the gaming culture and pretend I'm above it all. Sorry everyone. :ohdear:

I really enjoy most of the Metal Gear games, but browsing a few different forums, I've really not found many people discussing aspects of the series that I find as enjoyable, so I'd like to reiterate the earlier sentiment that they can be pretty bad. And I think it's really telling that, to this day, people are still confused as to which of the two clones is the "superior" clone. While they don't exactly specify what constitutes "superior," and the whole discussion on genetics in that game is bunk, the narrative is still really unambiguous as to which of the two is "superior." Or then there are discussions on which character in the series is strongest, or who would win in a fight, and that kind of thing.That's just frustrating to me. I'm really just being uppity, though. ^^;

Oh goodness, and when Dragon's Crown came out... :ohdear: Oh, oh dear. The sexism was real in that game's fanbase. And relatedly, when that trailer for the new Zelda game came out and Link looked kind of feminine, a lot of sexism kind of came to the surface there. Some people on forums would say things like "It can't be a girl, because Link's the embodiment of courage" and "That would totally change the narrative; we know Link as Zelda's rescuer! He can't rescue someone if he's a girl", and they'd say these things unironically and it scared me. :whimper:

Speaking of Zelda, there have been a lot of discussions on Sheik's gender which end up being kind of transphobic, which really sucks. I can think of one discussion I had with my sister's friend and her husband and it just got so problematic so quickly. I don't even want to talk about it. ^^;

A few times I've tried out PSO fan servers it's been pretty uninviting to people who don't have the game memorized backwards and forwards, which is a bummer, too. I grew up with that game, man! I just was never any good. :shobon:

There are some people I know, too, who just get really weird about games. Not weird as in, like, obsessed, but gaming ends up being a kind of an arena for an eternal pissing contest between people who strongly dislike one another yet still play video games together. My old roommate was telling me about his new roomie once, and he complained about how dumb his new roomie is because he gave him a weapon in borderlands that he can't use yet, or because he was killing enemies without him, and things like that. And to me, it kind of came off as super juvenile. But again, I'm really just being uppity. :shrug:

I've typed too many things so I'll stop now. :erm:

I Took the Red Pill
01-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Super Smash Bros. The games themselves I love more than anything, but the community itself I find obnoxious and elitist. The few times I went to tournaments I met a few cool people, but most were just socially inept dudes with a dickish superiority complex because they're good at the game.

Also, I like to watch matches of the best of the best duking it out because it's just ridiculous to see how these guys have mastered every aspect of the game, but much of the time the dudes commentating it make it almost unbearable to watch. Here is a great example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2LKbO5evo) of two of the world's greatest players in an excellent match, but the commentating just makes want to stick a pencil in my eye. Of course you've got the odd situation in which the commentators are good (Wombo Combo et al), but it's a rarity.

Vyk
01-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Wow, yeah. Who thought it'd be a good idea to take just a couple of average schmoes who happen to be fans of the game and just plop them in front of the mic and talk elitist fan-banter? Couldn't they have found a couple of people with journalistic experience who could be a little objective and professional sounding? I watched half of it, and at first I didn't get what you were talking about. The only real elitism in the first match was just them talking about things I didn't know because I don't follow professional gaming. I didn't know who these people were or their past in gaming, but the commentators did. But in round 2 they kinda started thumbing their noses and stuff

Mirage
01-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Yeah :colbert:

I forgot to mention also Sims fans. Mostly because the weird stuff I found the Mod the Sims site. Some of it was really creepy. A dead baby mod that you can eat? Really?

time to reinstall the sims

Super Smash Bros. The games themselves I love more than anything, but the community itself I find obnoxious and elitist. The few times I went to tournaments I met a few cool people, but most were just socially inept dudes with a dickish superiority complex because they're good at the game.

Also, I like to watch matches of the best of the best duking it out because it's just ridiculous to see how these guys have mastered every aspect of the game, but much of the time the dudes commentating it make it almost unbearable to watch. Here is a great example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2LKbO5evo) of two of the world's greatest players in an excellent match, but the commentating just makes want to stick a pencil in my eye. Of course you've got the odd situation in which the commentators are good (Wombo Combo et al), but it's a rarity.

this is every fighting game community ever

escobert
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
A lot of the DayZ community sucks. they're either super hardcore and if you don't play first person you're a COD noob or people who don't understand a survival game and think it's COD on a 225square KM map. And then you have the super gun/military fanboys who correct every single post that says "clip" instead of "magazine" and act like they've fought in 6 wars.

Dat Matt
01-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Final Fantasy Games are amazing. The community is awful though.

They actually think that FFVII is the best one, rather than FFXIII.

http://i.imgur.com/WbDvCSO.gif

Jessweeee♪
01-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Online competitive gaming communities can be pretty scary but LoL takes the cake imo. Also this isn't really gaming but I like to read Homestuck and that webcomic has the scariest fan base of anything I've ever encountered :onoes:

Dr Unne
01-04-2015, 03:37 PM

Every group seems silly from the outside. For example sometimes I accidentally wander into one of those sportsball threads on EoFF and feel lost. I don't understand it but I can see other people really care about it. I don't think it's wrong to be really excited about stuff, even to the point of extreme silliness. Being excited about things is what makes life worth living. Being excited in a group of like-minded people is a great way to form relationships.

The problem is when for some people, their hobby is their life, or too big a part of their life, and it starts to bleed over into real-life areas. Then you have football riots, or people harassing or otherwise hurting others because they disagree about a video game, and that's too far. I think there's a limit to how far you can take obsession with a hobby. Video games aren't a replacement for a healthy life. But if someone is dorking out and being excited about their hobby and they aren't hurting anyone, why should I care?

Debate the details of the Star Wars universe or which character from some game is cutest, or be really excited that your local sportsball team is going to the sportsball finals, or geek out over an old car or rare book or some band I don't like, or whatever, I'm not going to begrudge you or judge you. I have my own hobby obsessions, and I get in heated discussions about them with friends sometimes, and I imagine we sound ridiculous to people who don't know anything about them, but it's all for fun. Our arguing is good-natured. At the end of the day we put the game down, laugh at ourselves and get on with life.