PDA

View Full Version : Favorite RPG setting

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2015, 01:41 AM
So what is your favorite RPG setting? Do you prefer something heavier on the science fiction side? High fantasy or Kitchen Sink worlds?

metagloria
01-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Uh, this seems reeeeeally limited. Classic medieval? Steampunk? Whatever Tales is?

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2015, 02:57 AM
Uh, this seems reeeeeally limited. Classic medieval? Steampunk? Whatever Tales is?

Tales would be Kitchen Sink, Steampunk would be the fourth option, can't think of an RPG that is classic medieval that wouldn't technically fall into High Fantasy.

Vyk
01-02-2015, 05:30 AM
Yeah. I'm probably kitchen sink. But these days I'd definitely take sci-fi over high fantasy. I do enjoy Tales, but I'm tired of castles. There does need to be more steampunk and cyberpunk and industrial-punk RPG settings. But yeah. Sadly, as much as I loved them growing up, cliche fantasy is probably my least favorite setting these days

Spuuky
01-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Dragon Quest doesn't have orcs, elves, dwarves, or goblins. Technically it does have enemies named "Orc" in some games but they aren't orcs.

What about just the "real" modern world? What is Ni no Kuni? What is Pokemon? What is Final Fantasy 6, or Chronotrigger, or Earthbound? No, I think that even with that 4th option, I just can't accept your options.

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Dragon Quest doesn't have orcs, elves, dwarves, or goblins. Technically it does have enemies named "Orc" in some games but they aren't orcs.

They do have elves actually. You have to infilitrate a town of them in DQIII. :p

It would also fall under as a variation of High Fantasy since barring the lack of certain fantasy tropes it's still fits neatly into the genre with its own unique flavor of it.

What about just the "real" modern world?
4th Option

What is Ni no Kuni?
Haven't played but from what I've seen either a fringe version of high fantasy or Kitchen Sink

What is Pokemon?
Kitchen Sink

What is Final Fantasy 6,
Kitchen Sink with a steampunk/Victorian setting.

Chrono Trigger
Almost the very definition of Kitchen Sink

Earthbound?
Most like Kitchen Sink but more likely option 4.

No, I think that even with that 4th option, I just can't accept your options. You're loss but I'm trying to make a simple thread with simple options. I'm sorry my options don't meet up to your standards but I can't be bothered to make 40+ options so every niche genre can feel special. I do have better things to do with my time thank you very much. :wcanoe:

Fynn
01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
At this point, I'm really fine with anything. I used to believe high fantasy was the only way to go, later I hinged more towards sci-fi. Nowadays, I can really enjoy a game whatever setting it takes place in. Each kind of setting has something to offer that I love.

Pike
01-02-2015, 10:48 AM
wtf does Kitchen Sink mean? I have never heard this term before.

Fynn
01-02-2015, 10:52 AM
wtf does Kitchen Sink mean? I have never heard this term before.

I figured you'd be acquainted with TV Tropes :p Fantasy Kitchen Sink (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FantasyKitchenSink)

Lay off Wolf, people. I think he did a good job with the options :D IMO, the only thing really missing are the "all" and "nothing" options.

Vyk
01-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Everything but the kitchen sink

Everything including the kitchen sink

I mostly heard the phrase as a kid, throwing things at the bad guy or something

Everything but the kitchen sink means a wide and absurd variety of things. Everything including the kitchen sink means a wider and more absurd variety, up to and beyond insanity

Ayen
01-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Kindly direct me to the game that has dinosaurs with laser guns please. kthx.

I don't really have a preference. Mass Effect fulfill my scifi needs, and games like Dragon Age fulfill my needs for high fantasy. It all depends on my mood.

Fynn
01-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Chrono Trigger?

Pumpkin
01-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Kitchen sink

Ayen
01-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Chrono Trigger?

I'm gonna have to bump this up a few spaces in the backlog.

Spuuky
01-02-2015, 05:57 PM
So every game that doesn't neatly fall into one of two arbitrary classifications is "kitchen sink"?

What kind of games do you prefer, Shoot 'Em Ups, Dungeon Crawls, or Anything Else Where You Press Buttons?

Also don't be misled Tori, CT has Dinosaurs AND Lasers, but not Dinosaurs WITH Lasers (that I remember; it has been a long time).

Vermachtnis
01-07-2015, 05:32 AM
I'll take the kitchen sink setting. Variety is the spice of life and what not. And Digimon has Dinosaurs shooting lasers and it doesn't get more kitchen sinky than that.

Forsaken Lover
01-30-2015, 07:45 AM
There needs to be more JRPGs with Sexy Green Alien Babes.

Leigh
01-31-2015, 11:01 AM
More Edwardian style games pleasum.

Formalhaut
01-31-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm the fourth option. I'm up for anything and everything in my RPGs.

Loony BoB
02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
This thread makes me want to play a Dinosaucers RPG.

Depression Moon
02-01-2015, 11:41 PM
I want more settings for video games in general. RPGs really just stick to those three majority of the time.

Christmas
04-19-2022, 05:24 AM
I like a mixed, kinda like FFVI. :bigsmile: