PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite sports?

Loony BoB
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
For playing: Cricket, hands down. With a tennis ball because I'm a filthy casual.

For watching: Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League and Cricket for me. I'd have a hard time picking which one I like most. They're all entertaining for me in different ways.

Pike
01-03-2015, 01:00 PM
For playing: skiing, because it's fun and I'm actually good at it.

For watching: horse racing, curling, both types of football, baseball.

Night Fury
01-03-2015, 01:04 PM
playing - field hockey and netball

watching - figure skating

Psychotic
01-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Football is my all time #1. But I don't mind watching a spot of tennis, Formula 1 or athletics every now and then.

Slothy
01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
If it's not Baseball, Formula 1 or MMA I can't be bothered to care.

Ayen
01-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Basketball, wrestling, MMA, and racing.

Madame Adequate
01-03-2015, 03:37 PM
For playing: Nope

For watching: Handegg, Curling, MMA

escobert
01-03-2015, 03:44 PM
to play and watch it's American Football then Hockey. Although I am not able to play either anymore :( Baseball is much more fun to play than watch. But I can't play that anymore either :(
I do still play basketball with some friends now and then and i might attempt to play in a softball league this year. Depends on how my elbow wants to hold up.

Pumpkin
01-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Badminton

Colonel Angus
01-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I used to like playing a little baseball. However, I'm so uncoordinated it didn't go well.

I used to like watching baseball, football & basketball. Sometimes a little hockey. I also liked a little golf, tennis & horse racing.

Nowadays I only really watch football. I'll turn on the other stuff once in a while, but I don't make an appointment to watch it anymore. I will for the Triple Crown races, though.

Pike
01-04-2015, 12:16 AM
I will for the Triple Crown races, though.

I recommend also tuning in for the Breeders' Cup races :3:

Crop
01-04-2015, 01:39 AM
Can't stand playing any sport at all. Even throwing darts at a dart board is extremely boring to me.

As for watching? Football, Formula 1, Boxing, MMA (Sometimes).

I'm a real Armchair Warrior.

Shorty
01-04-2015, 01:45 AM
I am a pretty swell volleyball player and proud of it. Also I'm not too bad at tennis and badminton. Those three are my favorites to play!

Favorite sport to watch is American football, followed by baseball. I hate basketball. Cannot and will not ever like it.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Participate in: Football (American), football (soccer), snowboarding, MMA, wrestling, baseball, softball, volleyball, and probably most other sports too. I like doing things.

To watch: Football and football and lacrosse. I really miss being able to watch lacrosse. The Portland Lumberjaxs were p badass. Unfortunately they weren't around for very long and have since disbanded.

black orb
01-04-2015, 02:06 AM
>>> Watch: Football
Practice: None..:luca:

Rocket Edge
01-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Watching: Football, Hurling, Darts and Tennis. I'd say I'd prefer tennis more as I love watching Federer. One on one matches play with your emotions more. Same could be said for darts when MVG plays. Theres some others likes Boxing, UFC, and of course when the Olympics are on but they are the main ones. Don't watch motor racing.

Playing: Football. Indoor football is great fun. Oddly play others.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Playing: Soccer, martial arts, distance running, disc golf, soccer, knife throwing, and car racing.

Like watching: some types of car/boat/air plane racing (some of it is very boring), some track and field events, billiards and/or trick shot pool, high diving, archery, and knife throwing.

what I can watch, and probably be okay with: everything. Except maybe baseball. I've even watched bowling.

Slothy
01-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Playing: ...knife throwing

You just reminded me of how much I'd like to learn knife throwing.

chionos
01-08-2015, 05:06 AM
Playing: Soccer, Basketball, Football, Baseball, Tennis, Volleyball

Speaking of volleyball, the most fun I've ever had in my entire life, quite literally, was playing drunken "beach" volleyball in a sandpit behind a bar at my buddy's bachelor party. If you ever have the chance to play volleyball in the sand while drunk, DON'T PASS IT UP.

Watching: Baseball, Football, College Basketball, tennis, soccer

Pheesh
01-08-2015, 05:31 AM
Playing: Basketball or casual/backyard cricket

Watching:

-Live: NFL

-Regular Season: NHL

-Playoffs: NBA and NHL

Bubba
01-08-2015, 10:02 AM
Playing: Basketball is probably my favourite to play. I was a good power forward when I was younger and played for Manchester Giants under 16s.

Watching: Football (UK), Baseball

I watch the Superbowl every year but don't really follow handegg. I'll also watch Ice Hockey as long it's being shown in HD so I can see the damn puck.

Old Manus
01-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Playing: Football (but nothing more than a kickabout anymore) - Rocket Edge is right in that indoor 5-a-side is really fun to play and a great way of keeping fit - cricket, golf (even though I am the worst player on the planet), snooker, table tennis, darts

Watching: Everything apart from Gaelic Football

With a tennis ball because I'm a filthy casual.I respected you.

Pike
01-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Forgot to mention there's a ton of stuff I was apparently pretty good at as a kid that I'm probably not good at anymore. Ice skating and golf fall under this category. My real weakness is team sports; I was always terrible at those. But I could skate circles around people, at least, and give my grandpa (RIP) a run for his money on the golf course.

Loony BoB
01-08-2015, 01:58 PM
With a tennis ball because I'm a filthy casual.I respected you.
I have played with a cricket ball, but I never play organised sport because I dislike making obligations out of things I find fun. I'd play street cricket nearly every day, though, during summers in NZ. When you play street cricket, you can't really use an actual cricket ball because windows would be broken, possibly bones, too. The few times I played cricket with a real cricket ball I didn't enjoy it as much because I was a weakling as a kid (I'm still relatively weak these days), and if you haven't got upper body strength then real cricket balls are horrid to deal with if you don't play regularly.

noxious.sunshine
01-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Playing: Swimming

Watching: -Maybe- NASCAR. I try to catch races on Sundays so I can text with my dad.

And before any of y'all start talking shit, yes NASCAR is a sport. Any type of racing is. :D

Please no jokes about left turns cuz that's played out af.

Madame Adequate
01-08-2015, 09:06 PM
You can keep your foreign sport in which the players run and run and sweat, only to end up tied 0-0. That is just not the American way.

chionos
01-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Yeah, we like our athletes to sit in boxes and go around circles real fast, while we drink crappy beer and eat Doritos.

THE AMERICAN WAY BITCHES.

Loony BoB
01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
You can keep your foreign sport in which the players run and run and sweat, only to end up tied 0-0. That is just not the American way.

As of 2006, over 24 million Americans play soccer. There are 4.2 million players (2.5 million men and 1.7 million women) registered with U.S. Soccer. Thirty percent of American households contain someone playing soccer, a figure second only to baseball. Increasing numbers of Americans, having played the game in their youth, are now avid spectators. A 2011 ESPN sports poll ranked soccer as the fourth most popular team sport in the United States, with 8.2% of Americans ranking soccer as their favorite sport (compared to 3.8% for hockey). A 2011 ESPN sports poll ranked soccer as the second most popular sport in the country for 12-24-year-olds. In 2013, Lionel Messi became the first soccer player ever to rank among the Top 10 most popular athletes in the U.S.

In addition, as Latin American immigration increases throughout the nation, so does the popularity of soccer. Furthermore, the increase in popularity of soccer in the United States is also the result of other factors such as globalization (with the resulting greater TV exposure given to soccer), the continued presence of U.S. teams in international competitions, and the continued building of soccer-specific stadiums in the country.
America is learning to love the game. Give it time!

chionos
01-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Soccer's always been a part of American school sports, so of course people are playing it. I just don't see it overtaking any of the big three in regards to its spectator status. It's just usually no fun to watch, unless one has a strong cultural connection with it, and that's just not there in the U.S.

Formalhaut
01-09-2015, 04:30 PM
I actually love playing sports, but don't really get to play hardly any these days. I don't really like to play competitively, more just for fun. I'd gladly try out any sport, with the exception of aggressively physical sports like rugby, or wrestling.

Playing: Football, Table Tennis, Softball, Cricket, Badminton, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Gymnastics, Pool, Snooker

Watching: Football, Pool, Snooker, whatever is on at the Olympics

Loony BoB
01-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Soccer's always been a part of American school sports, so of course people are playing it. I just don't see it overtaking any of the big three in regards to its spectator status. It's just usually no fun to watch, unless one has a strong cultural connection with it, and that's just not there in the U.S.

With an average attendance of over 18,000 per game, MLS has the third highest average attendance of any sports league in the U.S., and is the seventh highest attended professional soccer league worldwide.

Pike
01-09-2015, 05:36 PM
I like how the thread got sidetracked because Mister Adequate found a hilarious tweet and decided to copy-paste it here. xD

edit: since it's already sidetracked: I think soccer is a pretty big deal here, it's just that American Football and the like are an even BIGGER deal.

chionos
01-09-2015, 07:21 PM

With an average attendance of over 18,000 per game, MLS has the third highest average attendance of any sports league in the U.S., and is the seventh highest attended professional soccer league worldwide.

I was referring to TV viewership. People will go to games even if they don't enjoy the sport. Maybe that's an American thing.

I could be wrong, I just don't see it catching up with the big three. Or in the U.S., the big four if you count NASCAR.

Shiny
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Playing: Basketball, swimming, track & field, field hockey, archery, lacrosse even though it's dangerous af
To watch: Track & field, baseball, sometimes soccer, streetball

Pete for President
01-31-2015, 05:47 AM
Snowboarding! Here's me in action (the guy in blue/red): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ18dKBAmhQ