PDA

View Full Version : Sports you've actually gone to see in person

Loony BoB
01-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Your pals playing footy in the street doesn't count. ;)

I've only ever gone to see one sport live - motorbike racing. I loved it as a kid, we got to see loads of it because my third cousin, who rented a room at our house, was a champion motorcycle racer in NZ. Loved it, being able to hang out in the pits with Dave and the family, cheering him on, even holding the signs and cleaning the bike sometimes, was always fun. :)

Everything else has always been on TV for me. I'm not sure I'm all that keen on going to see football or rugby live because I like being able to chill out and enjoy it on TV. Cricket is something I might enjoy live, though, if I had good company. It's basically a sunny day at the park, with sports entertainment. What's not to like about that? Sounds awesome.

Night Fury
01-03-2015, 01:53 PM
We got to see County Durham play Cricket once when I was at school. On one hand it was mint because we got the day off school, but on the other it was so boring. So us lasses sat at the very back and gossiped all day and ate our packed lunches way too early. :smug:

Aulayna
01-03-2015, 02:06 PM
My Dad used to take me to go see Norwich City occasionally. I saw a various assortment of Paralympics Cycling and Athletics in 2012 and I used to go to Wimbledon every summer for about 5 years in a row to watch the Tennis.

My "step-dad" (I use that term loosely as they never got married) took me to see Motor Bike racing... that was legitimately one of the most boring experiences of my life.

VROOOM-VROOOM-VROOOM as 10 people hurtle past. 5 minutes of nothing... VROOM-VROOM-VROOM... 5 minutes of nothing... over and over for like 2 hours.... yay!

escobert
01-03-2015, 02:42 PM
(NHL) I used to go to Hartford Whalers games as a kid
(NFL) I've been to 3 Patriots games Vs Packers, Vs Panthers, and finally I got to see the Bears be SUPER troutTY live. (NFL)
(NBA) I've been to two Celtics games. One as a kid vs the Timberwolves and another a few years ago with Noodle Boy Phil or whatever he's calling himself today :p
(MLB) And I've been to a couple Boston Redsox games.

Ayen
01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I saw a couple of races down at Lakeside, and was live at a WWE event if that counts.

Loony BoB
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
My "step-dad" (I use that term loosely as they never got married) took me to see Motor Bike racing... that was legitimately one of the most boring experiences of my life.

VROOOM-VROOOM-VROOOM as 10 people hurtle past. 5 minutes of nothing... VROOM-VROOM-VROOM... 5 minutes of nothing... over and over for like 2 hours.... yay!
Sounds like a crap track or a crap view. Often motorsport courses these days seem to be made for TV, but the tracks I was used to were the kind in which you could see the whole thing from a high stand overlooking the entire course in a large fielded area with no trees blocking any views.

http://www.kiwimotoring.com/images/sized/media/blog/manfeild_feature-670x325.jpg

I'd hate what you described, too.

Aulayna
01-03-2015, 07:32 PM
It was Brands Hatch I think we went too. Bear in mind I also had 0 interest in Motor bikes too. It was supposed to be my Birthday but I'm fairly sure we went there for him, not me.

SwordFox
01-03-2015, 08:08 PM
I've been to some football matches, although I'm not really big into football. I almost got some tickets to see the basketball at the London Olympics, but I couldn't really get to London on the day very easily so I ended up not buying them which I kinda regret now. :(

Colonel Angus
01-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I've been to more sporting events than one could imagine. Mind you, sports in America is like a huge thing.

I've been to a handful or two of Bulls games. I try to go on my birthday, but now they go on their annual West Coast trip while Disney on Ice takes over the stadium.

I've been to many Bears games. My mom used to have season tickets, so every once in a while I'd get to go, but that was ages ago. The last game I saw was one of the last preseason games @ Soldier Field before they renovated it.

I've also been to my fair share of White Sox games, even though I'm not a fan of their's. I can't tell you how many Cubs games I've been to. My mom used to take me to @ least 4-5 games a year. But for the last decade or so, I've only been to about maybe 8. Last season I went to a game for my cousin's birthday. We had to sit out in the bleachers, which was a bitch for my back. Then I couldn't even get a beer because my ID had expired & I forgot about that. :lol:

I also went to a minor league game in Joliet a few years back, which wasn't bad.

Crop
01-04-2015, 01:18 AM
I've been to watch football live, both international and club, for a few teams.

I was also fortunate enough to go and watch the first professional American Football game the season before last, in Ohio. It was a friendly between...two teams that I can't remember. Either way, the pre game show - which included dancing, brass bands, fighter jets and parades - was the best part.

I think next on my list would be to go to Silverstone to watch the Formula 1.

black orb
01-04-2015, 02:18 AM
Your pals playing footy in the street doesn't count. ;)
>>> This and people brawling on the streets. Those are the only live sports I have seen..:luca:

Shorty
01-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Been to an NFL Niners game with Happy Noodle Boy and attended a fair few MLB games for the Giants. They were all fantastic.

I also went to a couple of college and high school basketball and baseball games when I was in school, but I'm not sure if those count. They were boring and not awesome.

DK
01-04-2015, 09:07 AM
obv been to football games, and was also about 10 rows back from the cage at this fight (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxyhw4_silva-vs-stann-gaet_sport), which is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen live. the audio on the tv feeds must have been utterly shit because it in no way did justice to how loud it was in there, it was crazy. awesome exciting fight.

The Man
01-04-2015, 09:45 AM
I've been to more baseball games than I can count. I've also been to a handful of basketball games, mainly to see Michael Jordan play when he was still in his prime (I saw one Bulls game in Chicago and I saw one when they were playing the Magic in Orlando). I think that's it.

Fox
01-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Just motorsports for me. So a couple of Grand Prix, some Formula Renault stuff, things like that. I was at Brands Hatch for an Atom Cup meet a few months ago which was a lot of fun as we knew one of the drivers who scored us free tickets and paddock access.

Mirage
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Soccer.

That's it, really.

Pike
01-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I've seen live horse racing :)

I've also obviously been to American football games, because I went to high school and college in the United States.

Madame Adequate
01-04-2015, 06:15 PM
I've seen live horse racing :)

I've also obviously been to American football games, because I went to high school and college in the United States.

Go cats!

None. Ever. That will maybe change at some point, I don't know!

Yellow_Magic
01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Been to Old Trafford several times - the VIP section at that (I had a very rich friend).

Madame Adequate
01-04-2015, 09:20 PM
That reminds me, when I was a kid we went on a school trip to London for a week, and during that time we had a fairly extensive tour of Wembley Stadium (the old one). I mean it was the works. We didn't watch any events though!

Iceglow
01-04-2015, 10:36 PM
I've been to a few games over at the Lane in the past. I don't get much of a chance to go for them now as my mate whose brother loaned me his season ticket doesn't have a spare season pass going.

Old Manus
01-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Going to watch a sport is my day out of choice. Even when it's a sport I'm not familiar with. There's nothing quite like going to a live game at the stadium - my first time walking out into the arena at Wembley was incredible. The overwhelming expansiveness of the whole occasion isn't something you can describe easily.

Football:
The Vetch Field, Liberty Stadium (Swansea)
Anfield (Liverpool)
The Hawthorns (West Bromwich Albion)
Villa Park (Aston Villa)
Emirates Stadium (Arsenal)
Cardiff City Stadium (Cardiff)
Millenium Stadium (Cardiff)
Wembley Stadium (London)
Prenton Park (Tranmere Rovers)
Madejski Stadium (Reading)

Rugby:
Millennium Stadium (lots of Wales games, found myself at the Heineken Cup final last summer)
Cardiff Arms Park (Cardiff Blues)
The Rec (Bath)

Cricket:
SWALEC Stadium (Glamorgan)
Old Trafford (Lancashire)
Will be going to Edgebaston in Birmingham for the Ashes test this summer
Hoping to see a match at the Kensington Oval in Barbados also this summer

Horse Racing:
Cheltenham Festival
Chepstow

Greyhound Racing:
Swindon

Ice Hockey:
Kolbenschmidt Arena

I'd love to go to a boxing match, as well as some motorsports events.

Loony BoB
01-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Oh, that reminds me, I've seen Muay Thai boxing live in Thailand. It was awesome!

Del Murder
01-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Many baseball and football and basketball games. The most memorable was the 2012 ALDS where Oakland came back against Detroit in the 9th inning to win. Then they lost the next day...

I also went to Wrestlemania 2000 and we were in the nosebleeds but it was awesome.

The Captain
01-06-2015, 01:05 AM
Oh man, way too many to even count. I've seen all the major New York sports teams: baseball, football, basketball, hockey, some soccer though I say Liverpool play Man City this past summer and have seen Argentina-Brazil friendlies, been to the Belmont on race day for the Triple Crown, been to several US Open tennis finals including seeing Sampras and Federer win, which were both amazing.

As for live versus on TV:

Baseball: In person so much better. Better atmosphere and the game seems to move faster
Hockey: SO much better in person. Everything is just as intense
Football: TV is the best way. Unless you have perfect seats, it's hard to tell what's happening at various points and in your seats you don't have access to the dozens of camera angles.
Basketball: A split. Playoff basketball live is amazing, though I don't think I'll be seeing much of that for a while as the Knicks..... stink. Regular season games are like football, you miss the camera angles and replays.
Soccer: LIVE, LIVE, LIVE. The chants alone don't resonate unless you're there in its midst.
All others: Definitely live, for the atmosphere.

Take care all.

Ayen
01-06-2015, 01:08 AM
I also went to Wrestlemania 2000 and we were in the nosebleeds but it was awesome.

Here, have ALL of my jelly.

Rocket Edge
01-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Seen Football, Gaelic Football, Hurling, Rugby, Baseball, American Football and Horse Racing live. Top of my to do list is to see a top tennis match live.

Pheesh
01-08-2015, 03:02 AM
NFL: I saw San Diego Chargers v Denver Broncos in the MNF game where Manning led them from about 21 points down or something. We were all decked out in Broncos gear at the Chargers Stadium and it was absolutely amazing. I also saw 49ers vs Bears with Shorty which was a much less interesting game, although there was a hilariously drunk lady sitting a few rows ahead of us which made the night very fun.

NBA: Lakers vs Jazz in the preseason (shit), Bulls v Celtics (went to the game in Chicago with my best friend who supports the Bulls and we beat their ass. I got yelled at to sit down many a time, it was great). Celtics v 76ers (with Bert, was a good night but the C's lost), Celtics v Jazz (had amazing seats and the Celtics won)

NCAA football: Notre Dame v BU (I loosely support Notre Dame and this was the year that they made the National Championship game with Te'o , so it was alright, but College Football is boring as hell unless the teams are evenly matched or you're really invested)

AFL: Too many to count, we were Dockers season ticket holders for about 4 years.

Cricket: been to a few ODI's, got very drunk.

A-League: Saw Perth Glory play, it was even worse than it seems on TV.

chionos
01-08-2015, 04:46 AM
I see several MLB games every year, mostly REDS games. Go to some minor league games every once in a while. I've had plans to go to an NFL (Bengals, Cowboys) game twice, and college basketball games (all UK) multiple times and had the plans blow up in my face each time. I'm going to see the Wildcats in February (hopefully they'll still be unbeaten then) and I can't wait.

Pheesh
01-08-2015, 05:24 AM
Totally spaced, I also saw Knicks vs someone and Brooklyn vs Milwaukee I think. The fact that I forgot both those games should tell you how memorable and amazing they were.

Bubba
01-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Football: Watched Man Utd a million times at Old Trafford, Wembley, Pride Park and lots of others

Baseball: Watched the Yankees twice at the old Yankee Stadium and once at Joe Robbie Stadium

Handegg: Watched Orlando Thunder

Ice Hockey: Manchester Storm/Phoenix

BasketBall: Manchester Giants

Cricket: England and Lancashire at Old Trafford Cricket Ground

WWF: Summerslam 92 at Wembley. Go Bulldog!

escobert
01-08-2015, 10:20 PM
aside from the professional games I've been to I've been to a few Boston College football games and Dartmouth football games. Also Dartmouth Hockey.

Probably the coolest sporting event I got to watch was the 2000 World Cup. While I wasn't in Japan or Korea watching it live I was in Europe at the time and got to watch the final in a packed square with big ass screens in Paris. That was friggin awesome. Something I've never seen in America.

Sephex
01-09-2015, 03:30 AM
Basketball: Bulls. One time. Old Chicago stadium.

Hockey: Blackhawks. Two times. United Center.

Baseball: Cubs. Small handful of times. Wrigley Field.
White Sox. Many times. Twice in old Comiskey Park. Most in new Comiskey Park/U.S. Cellular Field

Football: Bears. Countless times. Old and Remodled Soldier Field. Parents have had season tickets since the late 80s.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-09-2015, 03:45 AM
Soccer/football is the sport I've experienced the most. My family always had season tickets to see the Kansas City Wizards. I've been to a few Sporting KC games as well since that became a thing. I've also been to a ton of indoor soccer with the Missouri Comets. My dad ended up somehow befriending the owner and the coaches of the Comets, and I just ended up befriending most of the team through that. Most of the people I knew have gone on to other teams or leagues now though. Nice side note, my grandparents and some other family members were friends with Pelé. One of my uncles actually dated the woman who would become Pelé's wife in high school, which is kind of weird. Not that that's related to anything here.

I've seen a little baseball as well. I went with my school a few times to see the Royals. Don't much care for watching baseball though.

I've also seen some roller derby as my sister is in the roller derby league here.

Colonel Angus
01-10-2015, 07:08 PM
I've seen a handful of Wrestling shows. I saw RAW once up in the All State Arena.

I went to a few shows: Spring Stampede, a couple of house shows, a couple of Nitros & a Nitro/Thunder taping.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-15-2015, 03:49 AM
I'm not sure what all counts but I've seen,

Some feeder league baseball games (Greenville Braves)/boring.

College football/basketball/soccer = Clemson vs. whoever they're playing.

Professional football...maybe the Carolina Panthers once.

Professional basketball Charlotte Hornets once or twice.

Some archery tournaments, knife throwing tournaments, marial arts tournaments. Observed and participated.

Lots and lots of auto racing because I was there already for my own races.

noxious.sunshine
01-15-2015, 05:01 AM
I've seen the Cincinnati Reds, the Bengals, and Titans.

And Nashville Sounds.

I'm dying to go to a hockey game, but the Preds aren't playing the Rangers here.

Oh. And WWE Monday Night Raw. Eh. I know it doesn't necessarily count as a sport, but whatever.

escobert
01-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Football: Bears. Countless times. Old and Remodled Soldier Field. Parents have had season tickets since the late 80s.
Can they/you adopt me plz thx?

Pheesh
01-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Can they/you adopt me plz thx?

If I were them I'd straight up give you the tickets and then wash or preferably burn any body part that came into contact with them, and that's coming from a Rams fan >.>

noxious.sunshine
01-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Oh. I've been to a lot of small time dirt track races and one big drag racing event. Met Don Garlitz & got his autograph on a t shirt & he gave my brother a broken piston. I was really young though.

Shiny
01-20-2015, 06:35 AM
My brother dragged me along to see Wrestlmania once. The seats were crap though so I couldn't really see much. :(

My aunt took me to see the Yankee's minor league team, but never the Yankees despite having seasonal tickets. Pretty bummed about that because I would've liked to see Jeter play at some point now that's not gonna happen. :( :(

chionos
01-20-2015, 08:36 AM
My brother dragged me along to see Wrestlmania once. The seats were crap though so I couldn't really see much. :(

My aunt took me to see the Yankee's minor league team, but never the Yankees despite having seasonal tickets. Pretty bummed about that because I would've liked to see Jeter play at some point now that's not gonna happen. :( :(

I wish Jeter didn't come across as such an arrogant douche outside of New York, b/c he was undoubtedly a great player. I got to see him play once a few years ago when NY came to Cinci. Full circle, Jeter was very nearly a Cincinnati Red. The Reds recruited him hard coming out of high school, but passed on him at the last second in favor of...some guy I can't even remember.

I'm glad the guy's finally gone from the game, to be honest. He was so ridiculously over-marketed it wasn't funny.

I'm glad I can say I got to see him play, though.

Bubba
01-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Yeah, Jeter was a legend. Only got to see him play the one time but it was awesome. It was A-Rod who came through that day though when we were 7-6 down to the Orioles in the bottom of the ninth. He walloped a walk-off grand slam to give us a 10-7 win.

I would love to say that I was there to witness this dramtic win but nooooooo :mad2: My ex at the time was feeling a bit tender as we had been out for her birthday the night before. Anyway, around the seventh inning, she starts complaining that she's cold and she wants to back to the hotel. Me being the gentleman that I am (plus we were losing 7-2) agreed. We got back to the hotel just in time to see A-Rods grand slam on the TV in our room. I never forgave her for this.

Anyway, here is a picture I took that day. Not sure who is batting!