PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Gaming Genres

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm sure RPG will be number one for most of us but I'm curious to know what genres excite everyone else.

The Man
01-03-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't know if I have a top five. The ones I spend most time in are probably action/adventure, platformer, and Metroidvania in that order. After that it's probably first-person shooters by default but only because I spend so much time playing the Marathon series; I barely play other games in the genre. RPGs probably come fifth, I guess.

Pumpkin
01-03-2015, 08:34 PM
1. RPG
2. Other

Colonel Angus
1. RPG
2. Side Scrolling adventure
3. Puzzle
4. Fighting
5. 3D Adventure

Pike
1. 4X TBS
2. Grand strategy
3. RTS
4. ARPG (by which I mean Diablo style lootfest)
5. Open world actiony RPG (Elder Scrolls style)

Pumpkin
01-03-2015, 08:35 PM
What type of game is Ape Escape 3?

Madame Adequate
01-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Grand Strategy
4X
ARPG
Other RPG
Sim/Management

Pike
01-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Grand Strategy
4X
ARPG
Other RPG
Sim/Management

Oh fug I forgot Sim/Management

I might slot that in in place of RTS for me

Ayen
01-03-2015, 09:29 PM
I never really gave it much thought. I like a large variety of different genres and not sure where I would place them. I used to play a lot of RPGs, platforms, beat 'em ups, fighters, and wrestling games. Lately point and click adventure games has been capturing my attentions since games like Walking Dead, Beyond, and Longest Journey.

Rez09
01-04-2015, 02:55 AM
1) Side-Scrolling Platformers
2) Fighting
3) RPGs
4) Non-drop/tile based puzzle
5) Turn-based Tactics

I think, anyway. ;)

Vyk
01-04-2015, 07:16 AM
I guess RPG can be broken up a few ways. While I do enjoy a loot-fest, but only if there's worthwhile co-op. Or a supplemental story that doesn't appear to be merely tacked on and seems to have actually had some effort put into it. So while I do enjoy Diablo games and Torchlight, Lord of the Rings: War in the North will always rule this genre in my eyes

My favorite these days is probably the other kind of action-rpg, though, that's been taking over the past few generations. Things that Dragon Age has been trying to emulate, and Fable has always been trying to master. Elder Scrolls is pretty good at it

I really enjoy me some metroidvania and puzzle-platformers as well, however you break those down, either platformers or action games. There's not a lot of mainstream titles to cite for this example. SotN is an obvious one, but it's pretty ancient at this point, and the genre is still kicking, but mostly in the indie circuit. Cave Story, Flash Back, Out of This World/Another World, The Fall, Chasm, Dust: Elysian Tail, Valdis Story

I really dig some fringe horror games that aren't quite survival horror and have a bit of action tastefully sprinkled into the formula. So ... action horror? I feel like a freakish bastard for suggesting that as a sub-genre title because I know how people grieve for the death of true survival horror games. But I love Dead Space, Alien Isolation, and Alan Wake way more than old school Resident Evil or Silent Hill :/

And then there's just the straight-up action/adventure games like Uncharted, or Beyond Good and Evil, and Enslaved: The Journey West

Sadly I think that about rounds out my favorite games these days. I can't genuinely say I enjoy Strategy RPGs, because nobody does them right. I'm rarely a fan of any FPS games. RTS, 4x, and any kind of sim/management games rarely hold my interest for long because I'm too story-oriented. And while I LOVE the existence of really good point & click adventure games and all the things they've spawned, its so rare that I really get into one personally that I can only think of a couple in my collection that I've barely played. But I do enjoy them for watching YouTube Lets Plays. And the only things left are the extremely rare (these days) JRPG games that get the formula right, in a way that I can really dig into. And they're all so vastly different I'd feel disingenuous saying that as a category. I like Persona 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles, but I can't say I enjoy the JRPG genre as a whole

Karifean
01-04-2015, 04:49 PM
1. Visual Novels
2. JRPGs
3. Platformers
4. Fighting Games
5. Others

maybee
01-04-2015, 04:59 PM
1 rpg

2 fighting games

3 Sims

4 platforming

5 racing

Pete for President
01-04-2015, 05:54 PM
RPG
Stealth
Flight
Action/Adventure
Tactics

Del Murder
01-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Is there a list of genres somewhere? I've never heard of some of these and others sound the same. Gonna go broad here:

1. RPG
2. Action/adventure
3. Platformer
4. Shooter
5. Puzzle