PDA

View Full Version : Meaty recipes

Pumpkin
01-04-2015, 06:13 AM
So I'm going on a meat/veggie/dairy only diet and I was wondering if anyone had some good, filling recipes they'd like to share. Or some recipes that would normally include pastas or breads but can be substituted for something else (like a burger with lettuce buns)

Colonel Angus
01-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Beans & Franks
Sausage & Peppers
Steak & potatoes
Porkchops & applesauce

Get a bag of frozen veggies for a side. They are way better than the canned stuff.

noxious.sunshine
01-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Frozen veggies are better than fresh also.

You can do pasta, but sub out spaghetti squash for actual noodle if you wanna do spaghetti with meat sauce.

Lasagne, use sliced eggplant.

Iceglow
01-04-2015, 03:26 PM
I've done this diet quite extensively, here's some of my faves:

Stews/Casseroles: Fantastic great hearty dishes, remember you can use wine instead of stock to give it a richer fuller flavour (recommendation of white for chicken or fish, red for beef, lamb or pork) Simply ignore the dumplings to avoid the flour.

Hotpots: Make a stew, get some potato thinly slice the potato, lay over the top of the stew and bake until the potato is thoroughly cooked. Declicious!

Shepherds Pie/Cottage Pie/Fish Pies: Meat, covered in a sauce, sometimes with veg cooked under a lid of mashed potatoes! It's all good here, though if adventurous do it with a stew instead as a sort of hotpot/shepherds pie mix tastes great!

Potato Gratin: Primarily a veg dish but tastes great served up alongside some baked chicken, feel free to experiment with things like bacon in the mix however

Curries: You'll need some fibre and carb intake no matter your diet. The best source for this will be rice and fruits. Curries give an amazing way to prep food and eat rice

Stir Fries: Why not? Throw in some chicken, turkey or prawns for a bit of flavour

Home made fish and chips: Simply go ahead and get some potatoes, cut them up in to "chips" and cook them in the oven with a minimal amount of oil. For an even better sweeter taste, use sweet potatoes to make the chips. A decent fillet of cod or other fish baked in the oven (wrap in foil to keep it moist, include some cherry tomatoes and other herbs to make it flavour some) makes for a great "fish and chips" healthy too. Serve with home made salsa for that greek feel or with tatare sauce and peas for the traditional feel.

Moussaka: use Lamb for best results.

Remember fruit makes a great accompanying dish to meats. So for lunches you can literally do things like: Apple, cheese and ham slices. Chicken goes great with berries, particularly cranberries (think turkey at thanksgiving) simply experiment find your own combinations (Pear and chicken is one of mine :) hehe)

Cutting all carbohydrate rich foods out is not going to be easy. I've done it, I went for 9 months on chicken rice and veg only and it's enough to drive you insane. However, to be fair the biggest issue with bread over all is the yeast. It cultivates in your intestine causing bloating. The bloating causes you to be fatter (or to at least look like it). Cutting the bread and therefore the biggest intake of yeast from your diet will of course make you lose weight fast. However, if you're finding it just too difficult to give up bread entirely from the get go I would suggest weaning yourself off the normal breads you eat and on to things like Pitta or other flat breads which contain far less yeast this helps you to reduce the bloating and so whilst you may not lose as much weight, you'll look less bloated. You just have to have control over how much you eat. Pitta also opens the door for you to do pitta pizza's which taste fantastic 1 relatively small pitta pizza for lunch/dinner and you'll be fine :)

noxious.sunshine
01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Sweet potato fries are really hard to make. Especially in the oven. I tried it once and they got soggy & gross

Iceglow
01-04-2015, 04:27 PM
you made them wrong then :P I've done them frequently and they came out fine.

noxious.sunshine
01-04-2015, 04:43 PM
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK

Sorry.

Nah I followed a recipe that said they'd be perfect and they were not perfect.

Steven how do you make sweet potato fries? :)

Colonel Angus
01-04-2015, 06:11 PM
If you do potatoes, be careful to not do too many. They are starchy. Limit them to a meal or two a week.

Iceglow
01-04-2015, 07:18 PM
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK

Sorry.

Last time I made mine, I tried it a little differently, first of all I tossed my cut sweet potato fries/wedges in a small amount of olive oil which had herbs and spices in it. This gave them a thin coating on them of oil essential which means the outer edges will go crispy (also gave the herbs something to bind to the sweet potato with) I then spread them out in a roasting tin and garnished with some salt and pepper seasoning. The next part was simply to treat them like roast potatoes; Hot oven (mines fan assisted so like 180 - 200 degrees) for 30 - 35 mins.

The tricky part is to get the amount of olive oil right. I did mine with literally a drizzle probably no more than a few tea spoons worth of oil and it was a portion for 3 people so gives some sense of scale to the proportions. The less oil you use, the less soggy they'll come out but not enough oil and you lose the crisping.

Cleric
01-08-2015, 01:57 AM
Beans are an excellent addition to any dish and they have the added benefits of being cheap, delicious, and very good for you. Chili is one of my favorite incarnations, as well as black beans in chilis with adobo sauce. You can usually find a can of these chilis in adobo in an "ethnic food" section or "mexican" section for about 2-3 dollars. They are extremely spicy though so if you don't like spicy it is best to avoid them.

Freya
01-08-2015, 02:11 AM
The spaghetti squash spaghetti I told you about and the zucchini lasagna are great for this kinda thing. Another good thing is Cauliflower mash. So if you want mashed potatoes, just make cauliflower mash instead. It's delicious if you put cheese and garlic in it. :3 Then you can make large meatballs maybe some sauce and yummmm

noxious.sunshine
01-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Beans are an excellent addition to any dish and they have the added benefits of being cheap, delicious, and very good for you. Chili is one of my favorite incarnations, as well as black beans in chilis with adobo sauce. You can usually find a can of these chilis in adobo in an "ethnic food" section or "mexican" section for about 2-3 dollars. They are extremely spicy though so if you don't like spicy it is best to avoid them.

I wouldn't call adobos "extremely spicy".....

But then again, my heat tolerance has gone up a lot over the years.

I love black bean though. I like sauteeing up a bunch of jalapeno, onion, garlic, and either bacon or crumbly chorizo and adding it all to my pot of beans. And I also throw in some chicken bouillon instead of just using water & salt. Sooooo yummy.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I've tried to seduce her over to the bean family of foods, but she remains largely unimpressed.

I think she'd prefer beans that are incorporated into dishes (like chil) versus just as their own side.

Pumpkin
01-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Yeah I really don't like beans. I've been able to eat them in dishes, like chili and curry, but on their own I find them almost inedible

Shorty
01-08-2015, 04:38 PM
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK

Sorry.

Last time I made mine, I tried it a little differently, first of all I tossed my cut sweet potato fries/wedges in a small amount of olive oil which had herbs and spices in it. This gave them a thin coating on them of oil essential which means the outer edges will go crispy (also gave the herbs something to bind to the sweet potato with) I then spread them out in a roasting tin and garnished with some salt and pepper seasoning. The next part was simply to treat them like roast potatoes; Hot oven (mines fan assisted so like 180 - 200 degrees) for 30 - 35 mins.

The tricky part is to get the amount of olive oil right. I did mine with literally a drizzle probably no more than a few tea spoons worth of oil and it was a portion for 3 people so gives some sense of scale to the proportions. The less oil you use, the less soggy they'll come out but not enough oil and you lose the crisping.

Steve's right, olive oil is what you need to make them crispy and not soggy or gross.

noxious.sunshine
01-08-2015, 07:33 PM
That's what I used! :(

Oh wait. Maybe I used coconut oil cuz a recipe said to.

I can't remember lol

sharkythesharkdogg
01-08-2015, 08:04 PM
I will also agree with the olive oil method. I've also used to on regular potatoes when I baked them in the oven.

I toss some rosemary, bay, oregano, or maybe dill on them while they bake. (The regular potatoes, not sweet.)

Iceglow
01-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Of course y'all agree with me, this boy knows how to cook! Sweet Potato wedges taste great served alongside something like Pulled Pork too god I love pulled pork!

noxious.sunshine
01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
BBQ in general is nomtastic tho Steve.

Burnt ends is where it be'z