PDA

View Full Version : Male or Female?

Pumpkin
03-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Which gender do you usually chose to play when given the options in video games

Assuming there is no robot option because everyone would choose that

I choose female because I guess I identify with them more easily?

Madame Adequate
03-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Women more than men, because women are better than men.

Ayu
03-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Used to pick men only, but female design has gotten a lot better the past years! So I really don't mind looking at a cute female.

If I choose men, they have to be super manly and awesome looking.

escobert
03-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Male. I have 1 female character in GW2. 3 males. And my next will be male.

DayZ I'm always a guy since it's pretty much a virtual extension of myself.

Pike
03-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I enjoy playing both; it depends on whatever character personality I feel like playing at the time because I like to give my characters personalities.

My WoW characters are split about 50/50 male/female. My current main is a male because he's adorable. Apparently it's not common for women to play men in WoW, but hey! :gator:

theundeadhero
03-01-2015, 05:53 PM
I usually pick female because I don't even know why.I guess if I'm going to be looking at something for so many hours I want it to be a lady.

Freya
03-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Same as pumpkin, I identify more with female characters

metagloria
03-01-2015, 06:22 PM
This sounded more sexist after I typed it, but... I like both, with male lead(s) and female secondary characters. For example, in Dragon's Dogma right now, my main character is a guy (who looks like me), my main pawn is a girl, and I recruit other female pawns whenever possible.

Jinx
03-01-2015, 06:23 PM
I generally choose female when given the option, but I'm comfortable playing a male character as well.

Shorty
03-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Female. Ladies rule.

Fox
03-01-2015, 06:27 PM
I used to play dudes all the time because I am one and this made it more 'me'. Ever since Commander Shepard though, I play as women wherever I can. If a game doesn't give you a choice, chances are you're going to be playing as a man, so when there is a choice it's nice to address that balance a bit.

The only exception was when I was playing a bit of FFXIV. I don't like having people assume I'm a woman just because that's what my avatar is. Mainly 'cause I've done that before and then they feel all betrayed when they come on to me and I tell them I'm a guy.

Shauna
03-01-2015, 07:05 PM
I go for the default because I'm lazy and usually can't be bothered changing any options. So it's usually male. Not that I care either way.

Madame Adequate
03-01-2015, 07:05 PM
I enjoy playing both; it depends on whatever character personality I feel like playing at the time because I like to give my characters personalities.

My WoW characters are split about 50/50 male/female. My current main is a male because he's adorable. Apparently it's not common for women to play men in WoW, but hey! :gator:

Well you lose your biggest strength that way!

No joke; I'm a chick in WoW currently and I act all "tee hee :3" cute in groups and they forgive every stupid-ass mistake I make.

Psychotic
03-01-2015, 08:02 PM
I feel very insecure and so can only play as a dong wielding sausagelord at all times, lest my masculinity be threatened.

Aerith's Knight
03-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Depends. Usually I just play a guy, but if it's a game where I have to spend untold hours in third person, I prefer female.

If I have to spend hours looking at an ass, might as well be a nicely sculpted female one.

Egami
03-01-2015, 08:30 PM
I normally play as a female when given the choice.

Yellow_Magic
03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Male because I am male.

Vyk
03-01-2015, 09:33 PM
I used to be in the camp where if given the choice, I'd always choose female. For the same stated reasons as that if I have to stare at a character, I'd rather like the character, more than relate to them. Back in the older days when this was more of an issue, the guys were more beastly gods who couldn't be related to anyway, so why not be pretty.

The first time I finally experimented with being male it was for a character creation, and I was surprisingly invested in my character. So now I'm fine playing as male characters, and in some circumstances prefer it, but mostly only in games that have character creation. Especially ones that let you develop your character either as yourself or as their own person

So now I still kinda lean towards females, but a lot of games I play give better options, so being a dude is becoming more prevalent. Surprisingly its only because they're getting better at either making male characters or making games with creation and choices

Mirage
03-02-2015, 02:59 AM
I almost always go with female. Being forced to play as a male in many games is one good reason. I like having some variation. I also like that I often get to choose from a much prettier wardrobe, although this also sometimes backfires and only gives me bikini armor.

DMKA
03-02-2015, 03:53 AM
If we're talking about games where you make a character, or simply choose one as an avatar, male. I'm a man and I prefer a male character to represent myself, and I prefer to stare at a male character for hours on end.

Unless we're talking about games where there's a selection of pre-established characters that you choose from. Then I tend to play as whoever has the best stats. In most fighting games I always tend to be better with female characters because they tend to move the fastest.

Sephex
03-02-2015, 04:28 AM
I probably lean towards male but I don't really care in the grand scheme of things.

Fynn
03-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Usually, when playing a game that allows character creation for the first time (Pokemon X, Baldur's Gate), I go with male, treating the character as an avatar for myself. Same's true for MMOs. But if it's the second time, or if I get to choose from pre-existing characters (I.e. Persona 3 Portable), it really all depends on whose design I like more and what I know of their story. I also automatically like any game with a female protagonist that is not designed to serve just as eye candy. Seriously, can we grow up already? Or are we just gonna stay hormonal 14-year-olds?

Oh, but I refuse to play Bladur's Gate as a woman. You get one romance option and it's the most obnoxious character in video game history.

Vermachtnis
03-02-2015, 09:05 AM
I usually play girls cause dat ass. Seriously though, asthetics are important and girls look better. And get the better looking armor/costumes. And Pokémon X was the first time I made a girl in the series because I could play dress-up. Went back to guy in Alpha Sapphire cause I couldn't and your gender really doesn't matter in that game. And about the only other time I chose guy characters is when there's romance options and they won't let you romance other girls as a girl. FemShepXJack OTP!

Pike
03-02-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm actually kind of the opposite of Vermachtnis, I think guys look better in most cases and they have the better clothes. :shobon: I know I'm in the minority though.

I made a girl in Pokemon X but I spent most of the game wishing I'd made a guy instead because of the better clothes options for them ahaha.

Fynn
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
I usually play girls cause dat ass. Seriously though, asthetics are important and girls look better. And get the better looking armor/costumes. And Pokémon X was the first time I made a girl in the series because I could play dress-up. Went back to guy in Alpha Sapphire cause I couldn't and your gender really doesn't matter in that game. And about the only other time I chose guy characters is when there's romance options and they won't let you romance other girls as a girl. FemShepXJack OTP!

I was also kinda the reverse cause I think Brendan looks ridiculous and always choose May in Sapphire/Alpha Sapphire.

Old Manus
03-02-2015, 11:37 AM
I always play as female characters when playing something like Street Fighter against someone so if I lose I can just point to the fact I was playing as a woman.

Spooniest
03-02-2015, 11:49 AM
I usually pick a dude, because I'm a dude...sorry for being boring.

On a side note, sometimes I like to pick Chun Li in SF2. Did you know that her jumping short kick has priority over Guile's Flash Kick? It's one of the only moves that does.

:D

Ayu
03-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I usually play girls cause dat ass. Seriously though, asthetics are important and girls look better. And get the better looking armor/costumes. And Pokémon X was the first time I made a girl in the series because I could play dress-up. Went back to guy in Alpha Sapphire cause I couldn't and your gender really doesn't matter in that game. And about the only other time I chose guy characters is when there's romance options and they won't let you romance other girls as a girl. FemShepXJack OTP!Agreed. As long as the females have equal or better gear than males. In some video games the females carry the gear worse than the males, but now a days it seems to be focused a lot on making the girls look sexy & ready to fight (though, some with skimpy outfits, lol). There are some games I wouldn't play females if they added it as a gender later on though, simply because of habits/associations to the game.

Spuuky
03-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I play a random even mix.

Skyblade
03-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I play both. It depends a lot on the game. Tone, voice acting, themes, character design...

sharkythesharkdogg
03-02-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm fine playing either gender. I am male. Sometimes I'll purposely pick a female character if it's the type of game where you usually don't see a female lead because it's refreshing and different.

That's kinda like why I always seem to play a black male in the FallOut games. You don't get a lot of black males in situations outside of crime focused stories, and that is crap.

I seem to like either quick, agile fighters, which means female characters. If I'm picking a male fighter it's usually a grappler or some big bruiser. I do like Seung Mina from SC because she wields a larger weapon, and ladies usually get twin short swords, or fans, or something more typical.

I like Vanessa from Virtua Fighter 4 because they made her body builder muscular with a very direct personality/sterotype masculine. It made sense for the character, the fighting style used, and made sense for a fighting game in generally. I thought "Finally." Then they went and made her much more traditionally soft and feminine in the next game. Lames. There's plenty of girls like that, Vanessa brought something different.

black orb
03-02-2015, 11:51 PM
>>> Both. I usually play girls when they have to wear armor and stuff, like in Dark Souls..:luca:

Rez09
03-03-2015, 12:39 AM
I pick whoever has the coolest hat, so usually a female character.

Agent Proto
03-03-2015, 04:24 AM
It doesn't matter which I choose to play. Male, female, robot. Though, I'm finding that I tend to play female more often lately.

Night Fury
03-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Female but not because I identify with them really but more just because I like kick ass females.

metagloria
03-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I pick whoever has the coolest hat, so usually a female character.

Pumpkin
03-03-2015, 06:11 PM
:omgomg: I love those outfits

Fynn
03-03-2015, 06:24 PM
:omgomg: I love those outfits

Yeah, when they aren't completely sexist and fanservice-y, the outfits in X-2 are pretty awesome :D

I love the Psychic dressphere!

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100208084150/finalfantasy/images/0/03/FFX2psychic.jpg

Leigh
03-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Male in first person; female in third person ;)

Araciel
03-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Male. Since I'm a boring RP'er. Same reason I only play humans when given the chance.

Shiny
03-04-2015, 05:35 PM
If given the option, I usually pick female because I like to have some things in common with the character I'm playing. For Skyrim I am playing as male because I don't like any of the character design options for women. Perhaps I should get the PC version so I can choose some custom mods.

Loony BoB
03-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Male, if I have a choice. It allows me to immerse myself in the character/world easier if I can associate with the gender I'm playing.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-12-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm a guy, and I ALWAYS play female characters. No exceptions unless the storylines/achievements differ, in which case, my 2nd playthrough will be with a male. And it's not just because I'm going to be staring at a female for so many hours a day; it's usually that the females are faster and handle better than males. And when that's not the reason, then yes, it's because I'll be staring at them for a long time.

Lazerface
03-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Men, because what do I look like? I tend to be truthful to myself on gender.

Laddy
03-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Either, I don't really care either way. Usually I'll go with what gameplay differences there are. If not, I just go with what gender looks the best in-game. I just want to look pretty. Some games have hideously designed men and/or women so that usually makes me want to avoid.

And then there's games like Oblivion, where everyone is a weirdly-accented, blank-staring, onion thing.

Randy
03-15-2015, 09:33 PM
I tend to just go with the first option they give me. I prefer having a definitive character that a customisable thing though.

Mo-Nercy
03-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Pretty much exclusively female for everything from RPGs where you customise your protagonist to fighting games. It's really not often that I'll choose male characters for fighting games unless they're especially easy to pick up and play.

I'm weird like that.

LunarWeaver
03-27-2015, 05:49 PM
If only robot was an option more often. I usually choose male unless they have no cute hair.

Depression Moon
03-27-2015, 11:44 PM
I think I usually go female. Sorceress and Elf in Dragon's Crown. I prefer Mint over Rue, I like Ramona the best out of all characters in Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and went with the mage in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

Ayen
03-28-2015, 01:31 AM
I gravitate towards the woman. All my best characters are women.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Men. Have you seen Male!Shep's ass? It is glorious.

Richard
05-02-2015, 03:29 PM
I normally choose a male character. Especially in games like Skyrim and Oblivion. I just go with my own gender. Not that it matters...

BlackFire
05-03-2015, 10:16 AM
As a guy, when given the choice I prefer to play as a female.
I enjoy it when the lead character is a strong ass kicking woman, that always gets my attention - strong female lead characters. Also, if I am gonna spend 40+ hours with a character I would rather be looking at a female than male. If given the choice.

Tigmafuzz
05-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Depends on the game and the way I want to play it. If I play a strong warrior, I'll pick a male. If I play a speed-based character or a rogue, I'll play a female. Diplomatic characters often depend more on the game, so it's either, but probably a female more often than not. Magic-based characters are the same, but leaning more towards male.

I have certain "character types" that I like, including the stoic male warrior and the emotionless female assassin. I just like to insert generic character ideas that I already relate with to make it easier for me to relate to the character I'm making. It somehow allows me to immerse myself in the game more, unless there are set decisions in the game that go against my idea of what the character would do or how they would act in a particular situation. If there's a "pick a side" decision and I don't know all the facts about the conflict or enough to make an informed decision on which side to choose, and my character is a diplomat or a people-pleaser, it irks me to no end that I can't pick the path that my character would actually choose.