PDA

View Full Version : RPG you felt had the best story.

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2015, 06:24 PM
We've all played our fair share of RPGs so which game (and you are limited to one) did you feel has the best story?

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
This is pretty tough. Again, I don't have that much experience outside of FF in terms of RPGs. I know most people will disagree with me, but I'm going to go with Xenosaga Episode 1. I just love it to pieces.

Ayen
01-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Final Fantasy X.

I'll leave you all to argue why I'm wrong while I go fix my lunch.

Omni-Odin
01-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Final Fantasy X.

Ya'll ready for this? Take a picture.

metagloria
01-05-2015, 07:40 PM
VII.

Pike
01-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Toss up between Morrowind, Deus Ex, and Planescape Torment.

The Man
01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Final Fantasy VI.

Del Murder
01-05-2015, 08:20 PM
FFVI. The world was actually destroyed by the villain and I liked the many branching storylines for the characters.

Spuuky
01-05-2015, 08:56 PM
I liked Deus Ex and Xenosaga.

Galuf
01-05-2015, 09:08 PM
oooh. i love IX story but i also love VI story... hmm im going to pick.... Final Fantasy IX. ( i havent really played many non FF rpg only Pokemon and elder scrolls)

Pumpkin
01-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Ehh this is a hard one. Probably Xenogears

Madame Adequate
01-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Suikoden II for the story itself, Planescape Tournament for the characters and their development as well as general writing, and Morrowind for the setting, lore, and world building.

krissy
01-06-2015, 12:36 AM
ff tactics

edit:

sorry i typoed ff8

Brennan
01-06-2015, 03:49 AM
Final Fantasy X.

This.

Final Fantasy VI was a close second, but the game felt like it just lost steam on the World of Ruin. I agree, the destruction of the world was amazing storytelling. You lost the battle you've been fighting. Gathering your allies to battle Kefka should have felt revolutionary, but the script killed the mood for me. Whenever you picked up one of your old people, it was like, "SABIN!!!" "Oh, hey gais!" *Sabin has joined your party!*

Ayen
01-06-2015, 04:22 AM
Final Fantasy X.

This.

I like this alternate universe.

Wolf Kanno
01-06-2015, 05:44 AM

Vyk
01-06-2015, 05:51 AM
I'll have to mull this one over for a bit, but I believe I may end up choosing Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords. Sadly I haven't played through enough Planescape for it to contend yet. But KotOR's story and characters were all very interesting and intertwined very well, even the bad guys had deep relationships with a hand full of the good guys. Made for some interesting drama, even if there was very little "epic intense drama/action". It was a little subdued but very well done. In my critical amateur opinion

But if we're going with favorite, then probably Xenogears, as I think it could easily be destroyed by a critic, but I adored the world, the story, the characters, the build up and development of everything. It makes me happy

Pike
01-06-2015, 10:24 AM

what game is this?

Ergroilnin
01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Quick Google image search says Xenogears.

Pike
01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks. My own Google attempt seemed to fail me. :shobon:

Loony BoB
01-06-2015, 01:30 PM
FFVII, although I've not finished Lost Odyssey and from what I have played (a significant amount) I suspect it could be better than VII.

EDIT: If you count Dreamfall / The Longest Journey as RPGs, I'll also add them to this list.

Fox
01-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Stuff like Deus Ex is very very good... some have really strong characters that kind of make the story seem better than it is...

But it has to be Final Fantasy X. Everything past that bit in Home, especially? Amazing.

Vyk
01-07-2015, 01:51 AM
Everything past that bit in Home, especially? Amazing.
I may need a refresher. What is that? Also, congrats on the name change (I think?) glad to know the non-underscored version was available for you

Fox
01-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Everything past that bit in Home, especially? Amazing.
I may need a refresher. What is that? Also, congrats on the name change (I think?) glad to know the non-underscored version was available for you

It wasn't available, but Psychotic was very helpful in...ah... acquiring it for me ^^

Home is where the Al Bhed live. It's under attack when you get there in the game and you head towards the summoner's sanctuary where incredibly important facts are revealed! Which player's had probably already guessed but it was all very dramatic and the 'Revealed Truth' music played which is super emotional. *sniff*

Rocket Edge
01-07-2015, 07:55 PM
VIII or X.

Ayen
01-07-2015, 07:58 PM

Some day I'm going to play my copy of Xenogears. I only ever played the demo before, and that was two decades ago!

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2015, 05:13 AM
You should check it out, you want games to review, review Xenogears.

Fynn
01-08-2015, 05:41 AM
A lot of contenders here. I'm gonna have to agree with all the people posting Planescape: Torment and Xenogears, since both of these games have incredible stories. Xenogears has the one flaw compared to Torment, however - it's too long for its own good at first, then cut. Hence, we have loads of padding on disc one, and then the second disc, where we get to the juicy bits, is pretty minimalist if, though I have to say it has some interesting presentation. Torment, on the other hand, is short and concise. A bit too short, even. So yeah :D

I'm also gonna add Persona 3 and 4 here, since those were amazing (Innocent Sin was great too, butI haven't played Eternal Punishment, so I don't really know the whole story), as well as FF Tactics Advance. It and Tactics have probably the best stories in the entire franchise. To hell with the X hype :p

Still, I don't think any RPG may rival my favorite video game story of all time. That title has to go to Silent Hill 2.

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Yeah, Silent Hill 2 is another good one. Definitely one of those narratives that would not work as anything but a game.

Ayen
01-08-2015, 06:21 PM
You should check it out, you want games to review, review Xenogears.

I may have to do it ;)

Fynn
01-08-2015, 06:28 PM
You guys are making me wanna play Xenogears again :colbert:

Ayen
01-08-2015, 06:50 PM
You say it like it's a bad thing.

Fynn
01-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Considering my huge backlog, yes, it is a terrible thing.

Bolivar
01-08-2015, 09:39 PM
My pick would go to something by Yatsumi Matsuno's team, like FFT or Tactics Ogre. Maybe even FFXII, as once you get past the game-length-padding dungeons, it does have a pretty great story. He has the large cast and epic scope that a lot of great RPGs share but a cohesive story which few can match. They also treat mature subjects and themes with the care and skill they deserve.

Also gotta roll with ToriJ on FFX. I really gotta get that on Vita, as the game impresses me with just how great it is every time I go back to it.

krissy
01-10-2015, 03:19 PM
fft cast usually behaves sort of like real people would
they're unsure/conflicted/not black and white most of the time
and evil etc etc

ff12 too actually shows believable motivations a lot of the time imo

not like 'im a student i fight the sorceress'

this thread makes me wanna get back to persona 3 and maybe try out ffx finally

Hannibal_Khan
01-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Legend of the Dragoon. Awesome, EPIC, story and characters.

Polnareff
01-13-2015, 01:48 AM
Predictable as all hell, but Breath of Fire III. The entire game basically eschews traditional RPG stories (the beginning alone is surprising) and brings a story that makes you happy, sad, angry, and bewildered all at the same time.

You actually get to watch the characters grow and change (which is even shown during battle!) and I for one can say that I couldn't predict half the events that happened in the game the first time I played it.

Elpizo
01-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Majora's Mask.

Leigh
01-16-2015, 08:37 PM
EDIT: If you count Dreamfall / The Longest Journey as RPGs, I'll also add them to this list.

"Rage...taking over..."

Forsaken Lover
01-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Now anybody who knows me might expect me to come in here and say XENOGEARS XENOGEARS XENOGEARS

But I think instead I'll say....

Mass Effect 2.

Because it's on my mind. And I love it so much.

Denmark
01-17-2015, 12:33 AM
FF1

after crossing the bridge the story is super minimal which makes it the best

DanielCLFFF13
01-17-2015, 09:43 AM
I'll stick with Final Fantasy XIII :D but if I finally finished all 3 game of the series (which I still haven't yet, waiting for Lightning Returns) I think I would choose Lightning Returns for story.

Because the mixed story of Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 combined, make the story of Lightning Returns even mind blowing, I've watched 3 episode of Lightning Returns walkthrough, don't want to finish it, I want to experience it for myself :) So Square Enix, the release date of Lightning Returns Steam please...!

But for now I choose Final Fantasy XIII "the place where it all began" :)

But this is my opinion :)

Yellow_Magic
01-17-2015, 10:37 PM
It's gonna have to be Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I'm a sucker for stories where the playable characters have screwed up. A lot.

Laddy
01-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Planescape: Torment is a masterpiece of not only video game storytelling, but fiction in general.

Fallout: New Vegas, Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, Deus Ex, and Suikoden II are strong choices too.

There are other games that are better-written or polished but whose actual stories aren't of that caliber.

Mirage
01-20-2015, 05:26 AM
We've all played our fair share of RPGs

dont come here tellin me what i dun done or didnt done

Ayen
01-20-2015, 06:17 AM
We've all played our fair share of RPGs

dont come here tellin me what i dun done or didnt done

Yeah! You don't know what we played! It could just be RTS games for all you know.