PDA

View Full Version : RPG you felt had the Best Gameplay

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Similar to the story thread, of all the RPGs you've played which one do you feel has the best gameplay? Again you are only allowed one.

Ayen
01-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Nothing comes to mind.

That's probably a bad sign.

Del Murder
You answer first Wolf.

EDIT two seconds later: I got impatient. My answer is Final Fantasy Tactics.

Scotty_ffgamer
I'm actually pretty limited in the types of RPGs I've played. Most tend to follow a very similar turn based format. Just sticking the JRPG route, I'm going to say Grandia II. That gameplay was magical.

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
You answer first Wolf.

EDIT two seconds later: I got impatient. My answer is Final Fantasy Tactics.

I may give it to Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, though I'm still debating with myself.

Omni-Odin
01-05-2015, 06:44 PM
I am going to duck behind my desk after saying this for fear of injury from flying objects, but...

I love FF X-2's gameplay. Absolutely loved it. Never got tired of it. Thought it was action-packed and free-flowing. Now if only the storyline didn't stink up the place. Nostalgic, but not good.

Del Murder
01-05-2015, 07:54 PM
I am going to duck behind my desk after saying this for fear of injury from flying objects, but...

I love FF X-2's gameplay. Absolutely loved it. Never got tired of it. Thought it was action-packed and free-flowing. Now if only the storyline didn't stink up the place. Nostalgic, but not good.
I thought about this more after I made my response and came to this conclusion myself. Slowly people are coming to terms with the fact that Final Fantasy X-2 was the best battle system Square ever came up with and to be honest it is probably the best of any RPG ever. I love my grid tactical battles though so FFT has a special place in my heart, although it is far from flawless. Maybe Tactics Advance was the better version of it.

XIII obviously tried to expand on the fast paced X-2 battles but did so in all the wrong ways.

The Man
01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Final Fantasy V.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2015, 08:02 PM
I can concede that X-2 has my favorite battle system in all of FF. I may even prefer it to Grandia II since it's been brought up. This question is so hard for me because RPG is a pretty broad genre with many different ways battles play out, and which I prefer changes on my mood.

Loony BoB
01-06-2015, 01:52 PM
FFV, FFVII, FFVIII. I felt these three games in particular were incredibly addictive when it comes to just messing about with gameplay stuff. Honourable mentions to FFIX and FFX.

Also, Pokémon.

Pike
01-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Tough question. I'm leaning towards the Diablo series.

Vyk
01-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Tales of Xillia. EASILY. The most hectic insane fighting fun I've had in any RPG. A nod would have to be given to War in the North though. Makes you feel like such a badass compared to other action RPG choices. Probably due to the closer camera and slow motion kill animations. Loved every second of combat in both games

Pumpkin
01-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Probably FFX-2, yeah

Formalhaut
01-06-2015, 05:45 PM
FFX-2 was a great battle system, and it was very enjoyable. But if we count The World Ends With You as an RPG, then that. I loved the battle system. It was great because it forced you to rely on both your characters to keep the puck going and getting higher attack bonuses, as neglecting one of them made them suffer damage and lose the flow of battle. It was difficult, yes, but once you got used to it, probably the best battle system I've seen.

Ayen
01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Oh, it just came to me. Mass Effect 2.

Fox
01-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Gotta say Tales of Xillia. It's not quite my favourite Tales game, but the design in that game is phenomenal. Every system interacts really nicely with everything else, there are loads of interesting choices and play styles.

Honourable second place goes to... Final Fantasy X. A few more Key Spheres and replace the random battles with something else, and X would take it.

Vyk
01-07-2015, 01:56 AM
Oh, it just came to me. Mass Effect 2.
That's a really good choice. I enjoyed Mass Effect as a shooter RPG, but the sequel really ramped it up to 11. The battles were fast crazy intense fun. Fairly precise shooting mechanics mixed with powers and abilities. Especially some of the "super" biotics you get on the team. Mmm the devastation that could be wrought