PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it.

LH
03-21-2002, 05:22 PM
I've seen a few people scolded recently for reviving old threads. Why exactly is it a bad thing to do? I looked through the FAQ a bit, and I didn't see anything about it. If anything, it may be easier on the server to revive older threads instead of creating newer ones of the same topic.

Endless
03-21-2002, 05:39 PM
Depends of the thread for a part, and of the way it's done.

For example there's no point in reviving threads in FFs fora where one was asking for help. Same with most of the threads where people are asking for an opinion or an advice.

Also, people who just revivive without adding something meaningful have no valid reason to do so.

Then it makes more thread active, with the revived going in the middle of new threads.

Last, it has to do with the server, because every once in a while, we'll prune threads that haven't been replied to since a set number of days/months, so reviving prevents pruning (GameFaqs' boards users know that).

Shlup
03-23-2002, 09:50 AM
It also kinda gets on my nerves when I see a new-looking thread and I realize I responded to it a month ago. I think that's just me though. :rolleyes2

Dr Unne
03-24-2002, 07:15 PM
It's not just you, it is annoying. A lot of people don't look at the dates of threads before they start responding. It is annoying when for example someone makes a thread in EoEO asking for advice with something, and someone drags their problem back up after the thread (and the problem) have been dead for 8 months, and then a ton of other people start responding as well because they think the thread is about something that's relevant currently.

Agent Proto
04-05-2002, 04:06 PM
I don't have much problems when old topics are replied with <u>smart</u> responses, and continues on with more like responses adding to the topic. However, if an old topic which is basically done with and has no point at the current moment, and the person replying added nothing important, I get annoyed with that, so it's best if that thread gets closed and forgotten. *shrugs*

m4tt
04-05-2002, 04:16 PM
<font color="00B72E" face="Verdana" size="1">Whenever I see an old thread revived, it's normally to say something pointless about how they think the character rocks, or just to say hi to the last person that posted. I close them all the time. *shrug*

Britt
04-06-2002, 04:00 AM
Old threads that are revived for relevant conversation = Just fine.

Old threads that have been revived needlessly and are thus drowning NEW, GOOD threads = Bad.