PDA

View Full Version : Game mechanics that had to grow on you.

Wolf Kanno
01-09-2015, 06:41 AM
What are some game mechanics you didn't initially like but eventually grew to love?

I'm going to have to go with the Risk system from Vagrant Story, initially I felt it seriously hampered combat but now I realize how brilliant it is in the game because it forces you to play more intelligently instead of just randomly swinging all the time.

Fynn
01-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Yeah, the Risk system is a pretty good example.

For me, a lot of such instances happened in the KH series. At first, I didn't like real-time combat at all, but I quickly grew to like it. The card system from CoM was a bit overwhelming at first, but then I loved it to bits due to how big, complex and original it was.

FFXII's system also took some getting used to, but once you got the hang of it - man, oh man.

Ayen
01-10-2015, 12:24 AM
FFXII's battle system is the first one to come to mind. It did take some time to get used to Darksidesr II's gameplay, but that was only because they completely changed genres on me instead of any particular game mechanic.

Spuuky
01-10-2015, 01:16 AM
FFXII's battle system is the first one to come to mind. It did take some time to get used to Darksidesr II's gameplay, but that was only because they completely changed genres on me instead of any particular game mechanic.Did they? Darksiders 2 seemed like a natural extension of Darksiders 1 to me, mostly.

I feel like I should be able to think of some examples of this, but I am having a hard time right now. Skiing in Tribes games is probably a big one.

Ayen
01-10-2015, 01:20 AM
FFXII's battle system is the first one to come to mind. It did take some time to get used to Darksidesr II's gameplay, but that was only because they completely changed genres on me instead of any particular game mechanic.Did they? Darksiders 2 seemed like a natural extension of Darksiders 1 to me, mostly.

They went from action-adventure to action-RPG. It threw me off at first.

Pumpkin
01-10-2015, 02:23 AM
Tales.It confused me at first

The Man
01-10-2015, 03:06 AM
It took me awhile to get used to Super Mario 64's gameplay, but now I think it's the best 3D platform gameplay of all time.

Madame Adequate
01-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Space Engineers took awhile to get used to, because you're floating freely in space and when you're flying in a ship or with your jetpack, you have total three-axis rotation available to you. The last game I played with this was... Descent 2, probably? So it did take a bit to get used to how to move in zero-g.

Rez09
01-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Moving my targeting box up and down in the original Armored Core games. :stare:

escobert
01-13-2015, 01:09 AM
I hated the draw system in my first few playthroughs of FFVIII but, my last time really playing and giving it a try, I didn't mind it as much and had a little fun with it. I still prefer jobs or materia though!

Fynn
01-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Ooh, I just remembered. It's not really a mechanics issue as much as it's about the UI. In Persona 3 Portable they changed the non-Tartarus areas into this visual novel-style, first-person view which was hard to get used to, but it really grew on me.