PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Food

noxious.sunshine
01-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Okay so my wonderful bf's birthday is coming up on the 14th and I want to surprise him with a full on Filipino dinner.

I'm gonna make chicken tinola cuz it's really easy and I like it a lot.

But the only other thing I know how to make is chicken adobo.

What are some other Filipino dishes I can make that are yummy and easy?

Lumpia is slightly out of the question as I can't get hold of actual lumpia wrappers... Only egg roll ones. But I may just do regular old americanized Chinese egg rolls. Or maybe spring rolls if I can get spring roll wrappers.

HALP!

escobert
01-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I have no idea what any of it's called. I just east it :p My girlfriend pretty much cooks nothing but Filipino food. Or the stuff I make her cook like shepherd pie and such.

Lonely Paper Star
01-12-2015, 04:29 AM
Yeah, hopefully you find spring roll wrappers for your lumpia. If you do, you should also try making turon. :o

I was going to suggest sinigang, but you already have tinola. Didn't want to overload you on the soupy kinds of stews. But in the future, yeah, sinigang is pretty great, especially with pork.

There's a rice cake called puto yeah, yeah, I know the name sounds like a Spanish vulgar word.

Also, pansit is a pretty big staple in Philippine cuisine. And kaldareta is good, too.

noxious.sunshine
01-12-2015, 04:00 PM
We're going to Manhattan tomorrow to get his vape so I'll see where there's an Asian market that has them. Cuz Stop & Shop ain't got shiiiiiiiiiiit

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-14-2015, 02:18 AM
All I care about is lumpia. I love it. I want some now.

noxious.sunshine
01-15-2015, 04:46 AM
I know.

I said it in the happy thread and I've talked about it nonstop practically.

But Jay absolutely loved it all. He saw what all I was making and cried. He said no one has ever bothered to do something like that for him.

Chris
01-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Takes me back to my childhood. I miss my childhood. :(

noxious.sunshine
01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Awww

Trust me. I know how you feel. ;_; I miss being a kid too.

Nate
01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Spring roll wrappers are just as good, if not better, especially the square ones.

Lumpia recipes vary, but I just use ground pork, french cut green beans, bean sprouts, and matchstick carrots. Fry that stuff up and stuff those wrappers. A little garlic helps too. Season with some salt, pepper, soy sauce.

Deep fry and enjoy.