PDA

View Full Version : Should Internet Explorer be banned?

Madame Adequate
01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I present to you as evidence in favor of this motion:

As anyone who has used it knows, IE is so bad it drives people into homicidal rages.

Aulayna
01-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Google Chrome should be banned first.

Galuf
01-11-2015, 08:00 PM
for years we suffered the horrifying IE in school. it was a welcome change when we finally got Google chrome.

Pike
01-11-2015, 08:02 PM
"Supposedly" the newer IE versions are almost useable. Out of curiosity I tried it a couple of times and it's just (IMO) really user-unfriendly.

Personally I haven't had a reason to switch away from Firefox since I first started using it (pre-release, too!) in 2004.

I know some people who were using IE up until Chrome was released in 2009 or whenever and I am just like, how. How did you last that long.

Colonel Angus
01-11-2015, 08:12 PM
When I first interwebbed many moons ago, I used to use Netscape Navigator. After college & before I got my own laptop, I switched to Explorer, because that's what the library had.

When I got my own computer I used Explorer until maybe 4 years ago or so & switched to Chrome.

I've also tried FireFox, which I know is the descendant of NN, but it didn't seem all that different to me.

One thing I do know, is that they all kind of suck, each in their own way.

escobert
01-11-2015, 08:28 PM
This is my one complaint with my windows phone. No firefox :(

blackmage_nuke
01-11-2015, 08:35 PM
But without Internet Explorer what will I use to download a better browser?

Ayen
01-12-2015, 01:46 AM
Google Chrome should be banned first.

Krazy talk. You're talking krazy!

My computer has already banned IE. I can't work it at all and Windows 7 is supposed to be good with it.

Raistlin
01-12-2015, 02:46 AM
Murder rate, schmurder rate. The most persuasive evidence that IE should be banned is that its use turns you into Daniel Towns.

Shauna
01-12-2015, 01:11 PM
But without Internet Explorer what will I use to download a better browser?

If IE was banned however, computers would come pre-loaded with a marginally better browser, so this would never be an issue.

Night Fury
01-12-2015, 01:36 PM
The graphs wouldn't lie. So yes.

Pheesh
01-15-2015, 02:40 AM
Fools! No one ever suspects the under the radar Opera user. :mwahaha:

Denmark
01-15-2015, 02:48 AM
chrome and firefox are both quite suitable browsers and their usage should come down to personal preference.

the biggest problem with internet explorer is the slowwwwwwwww adoption of newer versions by enterprises who require their users to use IE. developing for IE11 (current version) users isn't bad; developing for IE8 (lowest version still supported by MS) is a whole different animal

anyway old versions of IE are bad

Mirage
01-15-2015, 03:31 AM
Because correlation means causation, absolutely yes.

Pike
01-15-2015, 10:20 AM

A few years ago I would have agreed but they've revamped Opera so now it's just Chrome with a different skin :p

I've also tried FireFox, which I know is the descendant of NN, but it didn't seem all that different to me.

Firefox has revamped itself so it looks a lot like Chrome now. But it differs in the nuances. The last time I tried Chrome I didn't like the way the URL bar worked. When you type in a word in the URL bar in Firefox it searches through your history, bookmarks, bookmark tags etc. to suggest things. That's a feature I use a lot, and Chrome didn't have it. But then again that was a long time ago so maybe things have changed :gator:

honestly though probably #1 reason I stick with Firefox is because I've been using it for ten years so I know its nuances, I know how to tweak it in about:config, I know what addons I like (I have like 40 installed :redface: ) and so forth. If I switched to a different browser I'd have to relearn it all and ain't nobody got time for that

Pheesh
01-15-2015, 12:30 PM

A few years ago I would have agreed but they've revamped Opera so now it's just Chrome with a different skin :p

I still use v12.17, I have the newer version cause some things don't load properly on this version, but overall the old Opera is just better looking and I'm used to it. Too hipster for you.

Pike
01-15-2015, 12:37 PM
RIP old Opera :( although I hear some people are forking it, at least.

Quindiana Jones
01-16-2015, 04:38 AM
Last time I used IE, I killed my sister and sexually assaulted my dog.

But I also downloaded Firefox, so.... net gain?

Mirage
01-16-2015, 05:00 AM
And with it, you got a new sister and dog. Firefox-ko.

Colonel Angus
01-16-2015, 05:32 AM

Firefox has revamped itself so it looks a lot like Chrome now. But it differs in the nuances. The last time I tried Chrome I didn't like the way the URL bar worked. When you type in a word in the URL bar in Firefox it searches through your history, bookmarks, bookmark tags etc. to suggest things. That's a feature I use a lot, and Chrome didn't have it. But then again that was a long time ago so maybe things have changed :gator:

Chrome does that for me. :shrug:

escobert
01-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Firefox also does its best to not give your info out unlike google and Microsoft who want every little bit they can get.

Del Murder
01-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Unfortunately, much of corporate America still uses IE as their default browser, my company included. In fact, we have several web-based applications that were designed to be supported in IE and, although they often work in other browsers, we don't test or support the use of our applications in those browsers. It's pretty annoying. I only use IE for those specific things and Chrome for everything else.

Freya
01-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Yeah there are some state tax sites that only work in IE that we have to use at work and ughh that's a pain and a half. Stupid IE

Loony BoB
01-16-2015, 05:05 PM
IE is definitely still king in the workplace. Which leads me to be heavily concerned that a lot of the remaining murders that occur each year take place within the workplace.

Del Murder
01-16-2015, 06:03 PM
IE is definitely still king in the workplace. Which leads me to be heavily concerned that a lot of the remaining murders that occur each year take place within the workplace.
Not a bad theory.

Shiny
01-16-2015, 08:06 PM
IE is the only browser that will open for the corpoeate side of NBC and MSG. Probably most of the networks do this. Unless they switch to a superior browser, it will still be needed.

Iceglow
01-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Last time I used IE, I killed my sister and sexually assaulted my dog.

But I also downloaded Firefox, so.... net gain?

Is this the real reason why you fled to China? You're facing jail and have been put on List 99 and the Sex Offenders Registry for life because of Internet Explorer, I mean damn... I thought your sister was pretty hot, did you have to murder her? Could you not have killed the dog and sexually assaulted her? Damaged goods and saviour complexes and all that jazz it could have worked man, it could have worked! You would've had so many reasons to call me... Brother

In work we have to use IE because of company policies and restrictions. They recently updated to IE11 because it's the "more secure option" I have to say, the whole "let us search your history, bookmarks, tags etc to suggest stuff" is in the program. It also runs with a much lighter system profile than Chrome does. I'm sorry to say Chromians, I think the king is dead and the jester's dancing wildly whilst ushering in the FireFox King.

Internet Explorer™
01-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Wow. Uh, thanks for the welcome, EoFF.

Internet Explorer™
01-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Seriously, what the hell? I gave you the best years of my life. I thought we had fun! You never had any complaints before those other guys made the scene. I mean, sure, maybe I had some performance issues every once in a while, but nothing a few more toolbars couldn't fix. Right?

Internet Explorer™
01-17-2015, 03:00 AM
The murder rate may have declined with my use, but my sadness rate is skyrocketing right now. :(

Pretty sure, your little website was founded using me! You guys are jerks, I hate this place.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. I love you guys. And this is a pretty neat little community you've brought together here.

See, I can be nice. How come you can't? :colbert:

Del Murder
01-17-2015, 03:03 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/29522

Internet Explorer™
01-17-2015, 03:03 AM
Search your hearts, EoFF, and you'll find that we're all internet explorers. :G

Denmark
01-17-2015, 03:08 AM
just become standards-compliant and have more than one update every 3 years

Spuuky
01-17-2015, 03:13 AM
IE sucks because it doesn't follow any standards and so the stuff written for it is all awful and only works in specific versions of IE. The newer versions of IE are less bad but still bad. Firefox is fine, except Flash has a bad habit of breaking in it (more Flash's fault, but whatever). Chrome is fine, except it sucks up a relatively huge amount of memory to operate. And both of the auto-update cycles they use are kind of bad if the programs you have to work with are so bad that they break when things update. Also it really annoys me when Firefox installs to the user profile instead of the actual Program Files directory.

All I really want is a super-clean interface that can run everything important, has no random features that don't matter, and lets me turn off unauthorized scripts from running and block elements of pages I don't want to see.

Colonel Angus
01-17-2015, 05:04 AM
IE sucks because it doesn't follow any standards and so the stuff written for it is all awful and only works in specific versions of IE. The newer versions of IE are less bad but still bad. Firefox is fine, except Flash has a bad habit of breaking in it (more Flash's fault, but whatever). Chrome is fine, except it sucks up a relatively huge amount of memory to operate. And both of the auto-update cycles they use are kind of bad if the programs you have to work with are so bad that they break when things update. Also it really annoys me when Firefox installs to the user profile instead of the actual Program Files directory.

All I really want is a super-clean interface that can run everything important, has no random features that don't matter, and lets me turn off unauthorized scripts from running and block elements of pages I don't want to see.
Flash also craps out on Chrome. In fact, I believe the Flash updates for Chrome are actually the same ones as the FireFox updates.

Rin Heartilly
01-17-2015, 07:23 AM
One thing I do know, is that they all kind of suck, each in their own way.

Pretty much, it's all about choosing the browser that sucks a little less than the rest :D

Ayen
01-17-2015, 07:26 AM
You guys can close the thread now. Internet Explorer has been banned.

Galuf
01-17-2015, 02:19 PM
yay! we are saved

rubah
01-17-2015, 06:58 PM
I worked on a project that was developed in a 100% microsoft dev environment and we could only test it in internet explorer and help I have stockholm syndrome now that I was actually kind of enjoying using IE by the end of it although I haven't gone back to it since.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-05-2015, 04:13 AM

Ayen
02-05-2015, 04:57 AM
I remember that oh too well. I used the damn thing for two years because I was a newb at computers and didn't know there were other browsers I could download. Once I did learn I had it replaced and never looked back.

Chibi Youkai
02-07-2015, 05:14 AM
Yeah, IE sucks, but 11 is at least slightly more useable. We still deal with it at work, same as most people, it seems. Has anyone tried out Spartan? It's supposed to be the IE replacement.