PDA

View Full Version : What does that even mean?

Night Fury
01-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Sometimes things get lost on me, Shorty is currently explaining what it means to be a square. I have a vague idea but it's not something that is in my vocabulary or something that has ever been used around me.

The other day, we were out for a meal and someone said that their house was like a butterbox and I didn't understand what that phrase was either!

What are some phrases/words that have left you feeling a bit "whaaaat?"

wRb049x_NFQ

chionos
01-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Being old means I can't keep up with all the newfangled kiddy noise going on. It's always been that way, but the internet exacerbates the process. I don't know all the acronyms, and it'll just get worse and worse. I mean, just a few weeks ago, Shiny had to teach me what "on fleek" meant. And I'm still not sure.

I shouldn't have made fun of my mom so much back in the day, cause now it's catching up with me.

theundeadhero
01-12-2015, 04:04 AM
I don't know what a butterbox or on fleek means.

Spooniest
01-12-2015, 04:07 AM
It took me forever to figure out what twerking was.

Colonel Angus
01-12-2015, 04:37 AM
I can't believe you don't know what "being a square" means. However, you went to the right person to explain it. :p

Night Fury
01-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Oh I had an idea and kind of knew, but the way she used it today I was like "hmmm, what is that?" xD

Shiny
01-12-2015, 07:21 AM
No because I can just google it like a normal person.

Spooniest
01-12-2015, 10:38 AM
This topic made me think of this website (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php), which I love, because etymology (word evolution) is one of my all-time favorite subjects.

According to the dictionary, this connotation of the word square dates from 1944, and was used by the Jazz community to refer to the over-perfect conducting gestures that conductors in classical orchestras used.

"Old-fashioned." "Out-of-style."

...Boy, Square (http://na.square-enix.com/us/home)'s not very square these days, is it?

I wish they'd go back to being square.

Shauna
01-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Oh I had an idea and kind of knew, but the way she used it today I was like "hmmm, what is that?" xD

How the world changed in the few years difference between us.

Square was something my peers used!