PDA

View Full Version : Black Mage vs Monk

Lazerface
01-12-2015, 01:41 PM
So if you take a Black Mage and a Monk at their strongest power (If you go off of FFIII then a Magus and a Black Belt) with all stats and abilities maxed out and pit them against each other in a arena. Who'd win. I notice Black Mages are good at range and would have a small advantage of that range, but Monks are good at close quarters combat and are definitely hard hitters but they'd have to rush fast enough to avoid the Black Mage's strongest Black Magic spell like Flare, Death, or any of the -Aga spells. Then the Black Mage would have to be fast enough to keep distance between himself and the Monk before the Monk uses his strongest attack like Phantom Rush or a Final Heaven like attack (I know I'm using FFVI and FFVII here for the basis of the Monks attack but I did it to add variety to the Monk's attack). So who'd win in your opinion?

Lazerface
01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah both are allowed to equip armors to help in defense or clothing or whatever they use.

theundeadhero
01-13-2015, 04:03 AM
It seems like the fight would be even. At range the mage has an advantage but up close the monk does. The monk has a weakness for magic defense but the mage has a weakness against physical attacks. I would say it comes down to a speed bonus, which the monk may have an advantage in.

Karifean
01-13-2015, 11:58 AM
If the Monk is not immune to at least Death this would be the most hilariously short battle ever. On the other hand if the Monk is comparable to the Monk from FF XII IZJS, then he would most definitely win. IZJS Monk is ridiculous.

But generally speaking, I'd say they're pretty neatly balanced. The Black Mage can throw out some mass destruction, but the Monk can take it. As soon as it gets to close-quarters-combat the Black Mage loses so it's a matter of if the Monk gets overwhelmed or not. I'd pit my wages on the Black Mage, but it could be a close call.

WildRaubtier
01-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Mage dies if Monk isn't taken unawares. Which, in this scenario, Monk isn't.

It's like the old FFXI joke: A black mage walks into a bar. The black mage was defeated by the bar.

WildRaubtier
01-13-2015, 01:09 PM
If the Monk is not immune to at least Death this would be the most hilariously short battle ever.

Which one is the PC? If it's the monk, Death hits! If it's the BM, death misses.

What

What happens if they're both PC

Lazerface
01-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Mage dies if Monk isn't taken unawares. Which, in this scenario, Monk isn't.

It's like the old FFXI joke: A black mage walks into a bar. The black mage was defeated by the bar.
Haha lol. The Black Mage in FFXI must be pretty weak. I've noticed this in FFV, Black Mage in that game is that not really that strong at all except in its main ability Black magic but I'm only using it to master the job for endgame.

Lazerface
01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
If the Monk is not immune to at least Death this would be the most hilariously short battle ever.

Which one is the PC? If it's the monk, Death hits! If it's the BM, death misses.

What

What happens if they're both PC

Which Death we talking about here? Level 5 or 2 Death or Death? Oh yeah comparing these two is like comparing a meathead to a bag of lettuce.

WildRaubtier
01-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Level-? Death is not a Black Mage spell in any iteration I can think of.

Galuf
01-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Galuf was a monk for me. Galuf gets super powers and automaticlly wins

Lazerface
01-13-2015, 05:47 PM
I think in FFV it was Blue Magic.

Lazerface
01-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Overall I think both are weak in health terms though Monk makes it up by having high health but not so good good defense while BM has some good armor but not good health. What determines that battle all lies in speed and timing for who gets first strike with their most powerful attack.

Galuf
01-14-2015, 04:53 PM

im sure its always a blue magic ( in the games you can learn it)

Lazerface
01-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Good thing Galuf was my Blue Mage in FFV. He's one funny character.

chionos
01-15-2015, 06:12 AM
FFXI Black Mage was badass, not weak. It was just a glass cannon.

I dueled in FFXI many times as BLM, and the only thing that I straight up couldn't beat was RDM. If a Black Mage knows how to sleep cycle kite, they can kill anything (anything that's sleepable, and in this case I'm assuming the Monk isn't immune to sleep).

Anything with a ranged attack and some method of keeping the opponent away should be able to kill something that doesn't have a ranged attack.

Totally all depends on which version of BLM and which version of MNK though. The FFT version of MNK, for instance, has ranged attacks that would destroy all but the most amazing BLM.

Ayen
01-15-2015, 07:31 AM
NOBODY WINS!

Galuf
01-15-2015, 09:56 AM

he is my second favourite of all FF. but i never used Blue mage in FFV. the only time i did was with quina in FF ix ( and got all the blue magic aswell)

Lazerface
01-15-2015, 06:45 PM

he is my second favourite of all FF. but i never used Blue mage in FFV. the only time i did was with quina in FF ix ( and got all the blue magic aswell)
Yep. Kick ass old man. In 1912 he could kick ass, and in 2015 he still can.