PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin's Games That Didn't Make the Cut

Pumpkin
01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
As some of you know, I'm working on a Top 100ish Favourite Video Games List that I am super excited for and actually almost done. Not like tomorrow almost done, but relatively speaking.

But in the meantime, I wanted to do a thread with special mentions to the games that I specifically played to see if they would make the list, but they didn't. But as a twist, I'm going to try to be positive about it. I'll obviously tell you guys why it didn't make the cut, but I'll also do my best to focus on the positive aspects of them. Because I'm not happy they didn't make it, I obviously wanted them to or else I wouldn't have tried playing it.

Feel free to also share some games you wanted to like but didn't. I'm going to get my first post up soon.

*Also note that since I'm not done trying games, these won't have a list order because I may very well add some as I go along. I'll also only be posting one a day because this is supposed to stretch out to close to when I do finish my top games list, so I can't go too fast. Don't worry though, my top games list will have about 3 entries a day.

Hope you enjoy :D

Games:
Special Entry: Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3503348&viewfull=1#post3503348)
The Last Story (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3503610#post3503610)
Knights in the Nightmare (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3503765&viewfull=1#post3503765)
Chrono Cross
(http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3504122#post3504122)Scribblenauts Unmasked (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3504251&viewfull=1#post3504251)
Blazing Souls Accelate (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3504420#post3504420)
Dissidia / 012 Final Fantasy (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3504632#post3504632)
Radiant Historia (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3505556&viewfull=1#post3505556)
Children of Mana (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3505895#post3505895)
Super Mario RPG (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3506452&viewfull=1#post3506452)
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3506960#post3506960)
Kingdom Hearts (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3507466&viewfull=1#post3507466)
Suikoden Tierkreis (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161213-Pumpkin-s-Games-That-Didn-t-Make-the-Cut?p=3508621#post3508621)

Galuf
01-13-2015, 05:20 PM
looing forward to seeing your epic list miss pumpkin

Del Murder
01-13-2015, 05:26 PM
These lists are always amusing. I'm curious to see which games you liked enough to mention specifically but not in a list of your top 100 games. I don't even know if I've played 100 games, let alone 100 that would make a list!

sharkythesharkdogg
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Please include a review (while trying to remain positive) of your experience playing the game Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am. Pls k thx.

Fynn
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Really looking forward to it! :D

Is... Is this where you're putting Bravely Default? :stare:

Pumpkin
01-13-2015, 05:29 PM
These lists are always amusing. I'm curious to see which games you liked enough to mention specifically but not in a list of your top 100 games. I don't even know if I've played 100 games, let alone 100 that would make a list!

I'm up to 84 on my top games list with 13-15 left to play (depending on if I buy two games I want). I don't play them all to finish to save time, I'll usually go 30 hours in, or 3/4 of the way and then read/watch the rest of the games, since usually by that point the gameplay is established and I can rate it accordingly.

But yes these isn't just a list of games I dislike, it is specifically games I wanted to make the list that didn't. I'm not including like the Wii Family Feud because that's just a silly game I play for fun sometimes but I wouldn't say its a great game and I never intended it to make the list.

Really looking forward to it! http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/biggrin.gif

Is... Is this where you're putting Bravely Default? http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/stare.png

Gonna spoil this for you, but Bravely Default did make my top list :P

Pumpkin
01-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Special Entry

This one was NEVER intended to make my list, but I'm going to review it for sharky anyways because he buys my food

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am

This is a game featuring the cast of Aqua Teen Hunger Force as they golf and fight some bad guys I guess. There are different levels and I think at one point you golf on the moon or something

Ahem, so each level you like... golf and stuff. But what makes this more unique, you know, aside from the golfers, is that to get to your ball after you.... golf it (I don't know golf terms) you have to fight monsters and stuff, like the Mooninites or whatever they're called.

Now the golf part I was actually pretty okay at, which is odd, but the fighting part not so much. I couldn't beat the monsters on the first level. It was awful. The game controls are clunky and weird. The game is weird.

For the positive: I would say it is actually pretty loyal to the show. You know how sometimes you get a game based on a movie or a TV show and its like... totally different and the voices are different and other than the name it has almost nothing to do with it? This isn't like that. The voices are all the same, the characters are the same as in the show. Even though I've never seen them golf in the show (not that I've watched it all, mind you) the amount of oddness in it just makes it fit well with what the show is.

So if you're looking for a silly game and you enjoy Aqua Teen Hunger Force, it's worth the $3.

Galuf
01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Really looking forward to it! :D

Is... Is this where you're putting Bravely Default? :stare:

Bravely default is pretty good ( imnot that far im on the wolf thing with a fire and ice head)

Fynn
01-13-2015, 05:49 PM
That game looks... Well... It sure looks, uh, like a thing! :monster:

Scotty_ffgamer
01-14-2015, 01:34 AM
That game looks... Well... It sure looks, uh, like a thing! :monster:

I believe the words you are looking for are "Number one in the hood, G"

Colonel Angus
01-14-2015, 01:52 AM
OMG an Aqua Teen game! I needs that.

Ayen
01-14-2015, 02:07 AM
What the smurf?

Pumpkin
01-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Now then, for my first serious entry on this list

The Last Story

The Last Story follows a young man and his group of mercenaries in a dying world. I would tell you in more detail, but I couldn't properly follow the story. Why? Well that leads me to why the game didn't make the cut.

While some areas are absolutely stunning, others are absolutely drab. And it is in one such area that the game begins. And if there's something you should know, it's that I have a low tolerance for drab. Not always, but more often then not it is a huge turn off for me.

At first I was very excited for this game because I'd heard so many good things. And the story seems really interesting. I still do think it's a good and interesting story, and I think the game does, for the most part, create good atmosphere. But even looking at the back cover I was concerned about the amount of... brown everywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/TIo5n.jpg?1

The gameplay. Oh the gameplay. When I started the game, I was immediately turned off by the visuals. But I gave it a chance. It didn't take long for the gameplay to become a negative too. Do you know what type of game I suck at? Well, all of them, but in particular? Sneaking. I can't sneak in a video game for the life of me. And they threw a bunch of instructions at me at once about sneaking and vaulting and more things and I couldn't keep it all straight. And I couldn't sneak. And aiming? Pfft. So basically I get all of this confusing drabness thrown at me right out of the gate. And character art that I didn't like.

But like I said, the game is not a bad game. Just isn't to my tastes. The story is interesting enough and well told, I think. I would have been able to follow it better if I didn't have to focus so hard on the gameplay because I couldn't get it. It has good atmosphere and it does have some beautiful areas and some interesting characters. Should be a good game to check out for action RPG fan who doesn't have the same hang ups as I do. While it wasn't my cup of tea, I can see why some people like it so much.

Fynn
01-14-2015, 06:12 AM
I was severely disappointed with The Last Story for one reason - the main couple is BOOOORIIING as all hell. Really, all the other characters have interesting personalities and dynamics, but Zael and Calista are so shallow and uninteresting that they really ruined for me what was otherwise a fantastic experience. Please, Sakaguchi, no more romance...

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Lol, I really loved the gameplay actually, and if you got farther in you could get access to paint you could use to decorate the characters outfits and make them wild colors. I agree with Fynn that the main couple is a huge downgrade for the game, but I ended up liking the world and supporting cast so much to be a bit more forgiving towards it. Sorry to hear the gameplay and drabness deterred you Pumpkin. Amusing list so far.

Pumpkin
01-14-2015, 06:20 AM
That's why I tried to specify that it isn't a bad game, just not a game for Pumpkin. Pumpkin likes bright worlds and simple gameplay and anime character designs

Basically Pumpkin is the opposite of everyone

Ayen
01-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Since it's called "The Last Story" I'm guessing there ain't gonna be no sequel.

The Last Story II confirmed.

Pumpkin
01-14-2015, 06:40 AM
I just realized

This games list is supposed to be kind of an intro to my top games list to get people ready (and myself) but instead its going to lead to

"You have THIS game on your list but THAT one didn't make the cut? Rarrghhhh!!!"

And you'll all call me a loser and throw eggs and pineapples at me :(

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2015, 06:42 AM
I just realized

This games list is supposed to be kind of an intro to my top games list to get people ready (and myself) but instead its going to lead to

"You have THIS game on your list but THAT one didn't make the cut? Rarrghhhh!!!"

And you'll all call me losers and throw eggs and pineapples at me :(

No dear, only I'm allowed to make scathing remarks about games people love and get fruits and eggs thrown at me. It's how I get groceries. :shifty:

My point is that people like you so don't worry about it and just churn that list out. ;)

Ayen
01-14-2015, 06:42 AM
I won't call you a loser, but I probably will throw food at you. Hey, it's free food. No complaining.

Pumpkin
01-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Pineapples hurt tho

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2015, 06:45 AM
Pineapples hurt tho

Yes, but have you seen the price of pineapples this time of year, you're practically saving money.

Ayen
01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Pineapples hurt tho

As Piccolo always say "Why didn't you DODDDGGGEEE?!!!"

Fynn
01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Yeah, get a net for all those fruit. You'll get frickin rich.

Shauna
01-14-2015, 10:40 AM
I just realized

You should expect this from any Top Games/ANYTHING ever.

Pumpkin
01-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Going to post another one now because someone made me post a silly one first :stare:

Plus I'll be too tired tonight, so here we go

Knights in the Nightmare

Knights in the Nightmare apparently also comes in the DS flavour, but I've played the PSP version only, so I couldn't comment on differences.

The game is about a kingdom suddenly ravaged by demons with a missing King and some political stuff thrown in there for good measure. Now I'm going to let you know ahead of time, since it will explain some other entries on this list, that I have a very hard time following political stories. I just don't have a mind for it. Plus this game just has a really convoluted plot that makes it hard to follow anyways.

Now here is the reason it didn't make my top games list. The gameplay. What type of gameplay is it, you ask? I DON'T KNOW. Here, I'll let Tvtropes handle this one:

This game is particularly noteworthy for the extremely unusual gameplay elements that it uses; it's an odd combination of time-management, strategy, reflex, and Bullet Hell.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't dislike the gameplay. It's impossible for me to dislike it because my brain refuses to process what it is in the first place. I managed to stumble my way through a decent amount of fights, but I have no idea how. Not a clue. And yes, I'm not the most strategy minded, but even they had to have known that for the average person, it's pretty complicated because when you start you get tutorial after tutorial after tutorial explaining it to you. And it still wasn't clear. You know how you can go on a games website and it'll have a little gameplay section with a few bullet points as to what it is, and that's all fine? The website for this game has four videos explaining it to you.

tl;dr, I have no idea how to play the game. It is a beast unlike any other

Now I want to like this game, and I want to play it. One thing I am a fan of is bunches of characters and this game has bunches of characters. A lot of them look interesting to me. But I couldn't get to them because they were guarded by the sacred beast of confusing gameplay. And I fully intend to go back and try it again after my head has been cleared and try to take another crack at it in the hopes that it'll suddenly click in my brain. But for now, I can't add it to my games list because I can't actually play it

The game actually gets really good reviews, so it might be worth checking out for those who enjoy complicated gameplay and strategy games. It certainly provides a unique experience.

MJN SEIFER
01-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Since it's called "The Last Story" I'm guessing there ain't gonna be no sequel. Please tell me you said that ironically, being on a Final Fantasy forum, and all?

Ayen
01-15-2015, 08:02 AM
I just realized

You should expect this from any Top Games/ANYTHING ever.

Unless you're me. Then you'll get one or two eggs thrown and the rest will be like "Eeh."

Since it's called "The Last Story" I'm guessing there ain't gonna be no sequel. Please tell me you said that ironically, being on a Final Fantasy forum, and all?

No. I never joke or say anything ironically. I am 100% serious all of the time.

Rez09
01-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Knights in the Nightmare

Yep.

tl;dr, I have no idea how to play the game.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Seriously, I BEAT this game and still don't fully know what the hell is going on.
It's pretty, though.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Sounds like a got you a pretty interesting birthday gift.

Pumpkin
01-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Chrono Cross

Chrono Cross is... hard to tell you about without spoiling anything. Our hero Serge just finishes killing innocent creatures for the sake of jewelry for his girlfriend, when suddenly he wakes up and everything is... different and people from his village don't seem to know who he is. It then follows him and his merry band of adventurers as they try to set things straight and defeat bad guys and stuff.

I don't think anyone who knows me is surprised to find this on my list. There are a few reasons it made it here. The smallest detail being the character art. While some of the areas are beautiful, something about the actual characters turns me off. Why are Serge's cheeks so shiny? But more importantly, the battle system. On the one hand, you can pretty much customize your character however you want in terms of elements, which I like. One the other, the gameplay is at first confusing, especially if you don't find the dude in the first town who explains it, and after I did figure it out, just becomes tedious. For me, some people love the gameplay. And the last reason the game didn't make the list is because of Kid. Some people love her, she is my second least favourite character of all time. Even after rejecting her, she still keeps showing up.

I really wanted to like this game. The first time I played it, I quit pretty shortly after the first boss fight because, well, I couldn't figure out how to play. Sure, I was winning the fights, but eventually I was going to need a deeper knowledge than I had. But I'd read up on the story and I couldn't find a decent script so I tried again. This time with my boyfriend, big fan of the game, and a walkthrough. I got to the ghost/pirate ship and realized that the game felt like a chore. I didn't look forward to playing. It was more like "Ugh, time to play again?" While the story was interesting, it hadn't picked up yet the way I knew it would, I didn't like most of the characters, and I didn't have fun playing.

But the game has a lot of strong points. The story, like I mentioned. Even though I never managed to find a script, I did find a general story guide. It's very complicated, but very interesting when you figure it out. Multiple endings are always cool. Some good characters, and a large cast if you enjoy bunches of characters like I do. If you're open and you liked Chrono Trigger, this well let you look at CT in a different light. And if you like the gameplay because it adds more than just selecting Attack, then you might really enjoy it. Plus the very pretty areas and good music.

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2015, 05:07 PM
That's a fair assessment of the game. While it does have some strong themes and interesting premise, I agree that combat just feels convulated without really adding anything and ultimately I ignore using Elements in favor of just hitting things.

I also hate how the large cast distracts from the narrative because a good chunk of them have no reason to be there and collecting them and doing some of their quests don't really match up well with the big picture the game is trying to make. So yeah, I can completely understand why some people are turned off by this game.

Pumpkin
01-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Speaking of the characters, I don't like how you can't get them all in one playthrough. I do like when games give you a New Game+ for people who enjoy replaying the game over and over and adding or changing certain things to change the experience a little, but I don't like having to wait until the next playthrough to get something like characters. It makes me feel like playing it once is an incomplete experience. New Game+ should be a cool bonus, not mandatory to get the whole experience.

Not sure if I'm making sense :P

Fynn
01-15-2015, 05:30 PM
You should try Radical Dreamers. It's basically a first draft to a condensed version of this plot, without being bogged down by the battle system and a small nation of characters. Although I like Chrono Cross a lot, I agree with the majority of what you said. I still really like Kid, though :p

Polnareff
01-15-2015, 06:42 PM
That's why I tried to specify that it isn't a bad game, just not a game for Pumpkin. Pumpkin likes bright worlds and simple gameplay and anime character designs

Basically Pumpkin is the opposite of everyone

I thought The Last Story was a fairly bad game. I know you said you didn't, but I'm probably gonna be the only one who says that lol.

IMO, an RPG lives or dies by its combat (and sometimes story, depending on the game). The combat was horrible to me. Why? Because of the reasons you stated, along with the controls plain old not working the way they should sometimes. Of course, since it was on the Wii, that was to be expected......but still.

Ayen
01-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm not the least bit surprised this made it on the list. From what I can tell Chrono Cross sounds like that meh sequel nobody liked. Or maybe I just been reading in the wrong places.

Pumpkin
01-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Lots of people like Chrono Cross. I'd say Trigger is more popular though, but Cross still seems to have a decent sized fanbase

Scotty_ffgamer
01-15-2015, 07:21 PM
I mostly like Chrono Cross for the soundtrack. I also love the look of the world. i remember even enjoying the story and gameplay, but I could not tell you what happened in them.

I have Radical Dreamers and keep forgetting to play it. I should get on with that sometime soon.

Polnareff
01-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Chrono Cross was a game, that, again, killed me because of the gameplay.

Your characters only leveled up a tiny bit after beating bosses? What was that about? And the game was made in such a way where, sure, for random encounters you have plenty of Elements to choose from, but in boss battles? Ha, you'll run out of them, and then what. I got about 3/4 of the way through the game and stopped playing. This same thing happened in Paper Mario: Sticker Star (but with stickers instead, of course :monster: )

I liked the amount of playable characters, the cool-looking special moves, and the graphics, but everything else jaded me. If the game had MP like Chrono Trigger and a proper way of leveling up, it would have been amazing.

Pumpkin
01-15-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm actually going to go ahead and post two today and tomorrow because I won't be posting any this weekend, so I'll be caught up

A much less known title than Chrono Cross

Scribblenauts Unmasked

Scribblenauts Unmasked follows our hero of the Scribblenauts games, Maxwell, and his magic pencil. It's basically a puzzle game. You input certain words in to your notebook of sorts and it will make the thing you wrote appear. Like if you write "Giraffe" a giraffe will appear and begin running around. He might eat if there's grass around. That type of thing. This particular Scribblenauts games is set in the universe of DC comics. Throughout the game, different heroes will ask for your asistance with different things, as will random townsfolk.

The reason this game didn't make the list is pretty simple: I don't know much about the DC universe. I mean, I like Batman, but that's basically the extent of it. So some of the stuff was lost on me and I wasn't able to enjoy it to its full potential.

With that being said, the amount of detail put in to this game is astounding. You get access to the Batcomputer, which will let you look up information on pretty much an DC comics hero or villain you want. And they'll tell you about them. And they'll show you different versions of them. And you can filter your searches. And you can summon all of them with you notebook. And a lot of them are true to character, such as Superman refusing to use a gun if you try to give him one (could be misremembering this part).

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/scribblenauts/images/a/ac/Scribblenauts_Unmasked_Maxwell_and_Others.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/640?cb=20130711224356

Overall it is a strong game. Like I said, the detail is amazing, the fact that the random stuff you summon will more often than not act appropriately, the sheer number of stuff you can summon for that matter is incredible. I still enjoy playing it, it's a lot of fun, but as I said, some of it is just lost on me until I buff up on my superhero knowledge. In the meantime, this is awesome for people who like silly puzzle games and enjoy the DC comics universe. You'll have to use your imagination a lot to come up with solutions for some of the problems, especially if you don't want to end up creating the same things over and over again, so its also a good brain exercise. But more fun. And it is great to replay and try different solutions.

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2015, 10:03 PM
I thought The Last Story was a fairly bad game. I know you said you didn't, but I'm probably gonna be the only one who says that lol.
I doubt you're the only one who feels that way to be honest. Lol

IMO, an RPG lives or dies by its combat (and sometimes story, depending on the game). The combat was horrible to me. Why? Because of the reasons you stated, along with the controls plain old not working the way they should sometimes. Of course, since it was on the Wii, that was to be expected......but still.

Funny enough I'm the opposite, I really loved the battle system, even if it was a bit too easy at times. I agree the controls could be better but I honestly enjoyed the better focus on working as a team and mixing up genre gameplay to keep it feeling fresh. While the game was far from perfect, I would love to see Mistwalker or someone else improve on it and maybe put it on a better controller.

Ayen
01-15-2015, 10:26 PM
That looks cute. Chibi DC Universe.

Rez09
01-16-2015, 12:32 AM
I was pretty disappointed in Unmasked; it felt inferior to Unlimited in just about every way. :(
And maybe it is because of what you said about being unfamiliar with the DC Universe (I just learned that Sinestro was Hal Jordan's teacher (or something like that) about three days ago. X_X), but I dunno . . . I just didn't like the puzzles I was offered. I felt like a random raptor was less able to solve all of my problems in this game, you know?

Colonel Angus
01-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Chrono Cross is a very peculiar game. The only thing I felt needed fixing was the battle system. Whenever your character missed an attack, it seemed much more damning than it would in any other game because of the loss of stamina. It's like all the characters were obese & any movement made them out of breath.

Outside of that, the game has a great story, w/ a great cast of unusual characters. I can see your point about not being able to get all the characters in one playthrough, Pumpkin, but my main concern was always w/ the morality of it. Whenever you want to get a great character like Glen, you have to be a jerk about things. It's almost as if they're rewarding a negative personality.

Rez09
01-16-2015, 02:51 AM
And they punish you with KorCHA for being a decent person, too. ._.

Colonel Angus
01-16-2015, 04:20 AM
And they punish you with KorCHA for being a decent person, too. ._.
The Chrono Cross gods are the most wicked.

Pumpkin
01-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Okay so since I'm posting two today, I'll post the probably not well known one now and the more popular one later

Blazing Souls Accelate

Apparently this game is on the PS2 under the name of Blazing Souls, and on the Xbox 360 under the name of Absolute: Blazing Infinity. I've played only the PSP version, so that's what I'll be commenting on.

This game is about a contractor jerk named Zelos as he somehow manages to recruit a ton of people despite being a jerk. He finds some mysterious stones and has to fight some Human Genomes sent to replace humans.

This game, on its face, is absurdly similar to the Agarest War series of games that I very much enjoy. But somehow, it manages to be much worse. Almost like this is the game to work out the kinks. Also it doesn't have the dating sim aspect. But as far as battles go, the games are incredibly alike.

So why didn't it make the list? Aside from being overall less polished, I find, the game is flat out difficult for me. I would have to spend hours upon hours grinding, and eventually it wasn't worth it. Especially for a game with a very unlikable protagonist and very slow story progression. Things don't pick up until a good chunk of the way through the game. With that being said, I do hope to go back and play it one day because 1) I'll have more experience with the battle system from Agarest War and 2) The characters (other than the main dude) very much interest me. They are in the style I like and most of them I enjoyed.

For the positives: This game certainly offers a unique experience and is very very much non-linear. It's almost entirely up to you how you progress the game. It does some original things, such as having to search maps to find locations instead of just proceeding along a set line. There's also a good amount of customization. Good for people who like challenging SRPG's, and want something non-linear and don't mind the grinding.

Polnareff
01-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Blazing Souls reminded me more of Chaos Wars.

I liked the game, but trying to play it on Vita is kinda weird since the graphics look like crap on a Vita screen. ^^; (that's what I have the game for) Yes, lots of grinding too.

Pumpkin
01-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Now then

Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy

*Note, I'll be including the first one in this review, but mostly the second one because that's the one I played recently

The game features many characters from the Final Fantasy series and something about a battle between Cosmos and Chaos. So like, a more serious Theatrhythm I guess.

So I was super pumped about this game. Well, the original. I love Final Fantasy and here is a game with a bunch of them thrown in together? Yes please! I almost bought a PSP just for this. But I'm glad I didn't. The battle system is odd, and I suck at it, and the game is mostly battles. The story comes in small chunks usually and isn't very investing. Some of the characters have become exaggerated versions of themselves. Overall it just wasn't fun. And this isn't a game I played for the deep story, it was for fun and to see the characters together.

Another disappointment in 012 is how much Lightning there was. Like sure, give me one of my least favourite FF characters and shove her down my throat some more. It was an instant heart drop when I started the game and OH LOOK WHO YOU GET TO PLAY AS. I'm sick of her. I'm sick of Lightning. I didn't like her to begin with. But um anyways,

This just isn't my type of game and it wasn't what I was expecting I suppose. But that doesn't mean its not for everybody. It does have the games thrown together so you can see how characters from different games would react, which is neat. And it's got a fast paced and unique battle style, which some might enjoy. So if you're a fan of the series, it might be worth looking in to

http://charliemoritz.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/dissidia_duodecim_wallpaper_by_tazzbruhh-d34ulas.png?w=550&h=440

Ayen
01-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this!
Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this! Dodge this!

Fynn
01-16-2015, 06:30 PM
I actually really like Lightning :G

Pumpkin
01-16-2015, 06:36 PM
That's okay then :grumppat:

Ayen
01-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I actually really like Lightning :G

I do too, but even I was rolling my eyes at this point because Square used her in virtually everything they could. She's like their version of John Cena.

Pumpkin
01-19-2015, 05:31 AM
Oh look, I'm back! I was sick this weekend, which was poo, but it was thankfully only a 48 hour thing (mostly gone now) and I had plenty of video game time!

Anywho, next on the list, I'm sorry Fynn,

Radiant Historia

Radiant Historia is a story about a place that faces desertification, basically a plague, and our hero Stocke who can travel through time to save the dying world. The player has a lot of decisions to make, but can travel back in time and change which decisions he makes, in order to basically save the world.

Why didn't this game make my list? If you scroll back to one of my other entries, you will see me explain that I am not good at political stories. At all. Why? I don't know, I think it has to do with all of the people you have to keep track of who have very complicated and intertwining stories. I'm awful with names (I once called a poor schoolmate by the wrong name for like three years without knowing) and couple that with a complicated story and I'm just lost. Sadly that meant what is surely a good story was lost on me because I had to stop and take notes. And go over them repeatedly.

Not to mention when you add the time travel aspect to it. I would get so confused because I thought one thing happened, then I remembered it happened in the other timeline, and the whole thing would just mess me up. I'm a bit sad because the story did seem very interesting, and there were some incredibly touching moments whether I understood the full plotline or not. The characters are interesting and well written, which is a bonus. The gameplay is good, although nothing special to me.

http://lparchive.org/Radiant-Historia/Update%2009/7-SS9_004.png

Kiel is frickin adorbale. Anyways, this is a great game for people who like political stories, or have an easier time following them. The setting is a bit drab, but I think in this case it creates good atmosphere, although not really any locations that made me go "wow!" The overarching story is really strong, after I read a summary about 4 times and finally understood it. Overall a strong RPG, only minor complaints. It's just hard to add it to my top games list when I struggled so much to figured out what was going on :P

Ayen
01-19-2015, 06:03 AM
LET DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!

But if he doesn't have a TARDIS then GTFO.

Wolf Kanno
01-19-2015, 06:07 AM
LET DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!

But if he doesn't have a TARDIS then GTFO.

The cool kids go by phone booth.

Pumpkin
01-20-2015, 05:05 AM
Okay before I continue, I just wanted to once again stress that the games on my list are not bad games by any means. They're just games that weren't necessarily to my taste. But don't let my list discourage you from trying any of them

Children of Mana

Children of Mana, like most (all?) of the Mana games centers largely around the Sword and Tree of Mana. In this case, we have several heroes investigating a disaster that happened involving the Tree of Mana, leaving many children orphaned, among other things. The player can choose between four playable characters with different play styles. I personally chose Tamber.

This game is a dungeon crawler, which I was a bit disappointed in, because I'm not really much for dungeon crawlers with few exceptions. But the main reason this game didn't make the list is because it was too darn hard. I wanted to learn more about the story and the world, but I couldn't because I could barely pass the first dungeon, let alone what comes after it. Sadly this game just proved to be too much of a challenge for me.

If you don't have the same crippling difficulty disability in games that I do, it might be worth checking out. I really wanted to be able to play further. The characters are interesting and the areas look great. Having your choice of play style with the different characters is neat and add some replayability. The story is nothing special, but it could be a fun side game if you have no trouble with the difficulty.

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2015, 05:08 AM
I still need to get around to playing this game. I own it but have been too busy to start it up, I really need to because I love the Mana franchise.

Pumpkin
01-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Let me know how it goes xD

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 04:52 AM
Another more popular entry on the list

Super Mario RPG

Super Mario RPG is well Mario in an RPG. Bowser's castle was taken over or whatever and the Princess is missing and Mario gains some allies from the series and such.

I'd heard a lot about this game and had people recommending it left and right. Sharky is a big fan of the game and was super pumped for me to play. Sadly, I was not as impressed with it as many people are. I guess it isn't that unexpected, I was never a huge Mario fan anyways. I've played a few, and while some of it is fun, overall I much prefer other games. I'd say my favourites are Mario Kart and Mario Tennis.

But anyways, a lot of why I didn't like this game is because I found it very difficult to play. I may have mentioned before that I don't have much experience playing SNES games and a lot of the controls confused me. I was always mixing up commands. Don't even get me started on jumping. Add that to the fact that I wasn't super invested in the story or characters.

But this game receives a lot of praise. It can be fun if you enjoy the gameplay, and it has some mini-game type things to break up the monotony of it. The world is interesting. I'd say its best quality is the sense of humour. There were some really funny moments that had me laughing out loud. So if you're a fan of Mario and RPG's, this should definitely be worth checking out.

Ayen
01-21-2015, 04:57 AM
*a stone from out of nowhere falls on Pumpkin's head and totally wasn't thrown by ToriJ*

Wow, that rock just came out of nowhere. Who would do such a thing?

Pumpkin
Do you see the girl in my signature? That is the face I am making at you

Fynn
While I think SMRPG is a fine game, I really never got the hype. The Mario and Luigi RPGs are just miles better, IMO. And they're easier, Pumpkin, so you might wanna try those :p

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 04:58 AM
I just might

Ayen
01-21-2015, 05:00 AM
Do you see the girl in my signature? That is the face I am making at you

Points for timing?

Rez09
01-21-2015, 05:05 AM
I like all of the Mario RPGs! Paper Mario 2 and Partners in Time in particular. \ ^_^ /

SMRPG I have a pretty high opinion of too, though I didn't really like how much better the Geno / Peach / Mario party was than every other option. I was also pretty disappointed in the Yoshi area, as I expected more from it than the crappy races with Boshi.

Colonel Angus
01-21-2015, 05:06 AM
http://images.dailykos.com/images/105656/large/loldiary1.jpg?1410652755

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 06:26 AM
You'll be okay

Wolf Kanno
01-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Wow, didn't see that one coming but considering I have never played it either, I can't really talk about omitting it from a list like this. I did finally pick up the game on Virtual Console for my Wii but haven't had the chance to play it because Battle Ogre keeps taking my attention away.

Ayen
01-21-2015, 06:43 AM
Wow, didn't see that one coming but considering I have never played it either, I can't really talk about omitting it from a list like this. I did finally pick up the game on Virtual Console for my Wii but haven't had the chance to play it because Battle Ogre keeps taking my attention away.

Anything can happen in EoFF!

Though to be fair, while I enjoy the game I never got the hype either beyond "Mario and Final Fantasy together!" I didn't even know it had that big of a following when I first played it since it came out so late into the Super Nintendo's life. People were already playing PlayStation and waiting for the N64 by then.

Pike
01-21-2015, 11:27 AM
While I think SMRPG is a fine game, I really never got the hype. The Mario and Luigi RPGs are just miles better, IMO.

Having played both I have to disagree; the Mario and Luigi games were great but I felt like they were missing the character and heart of SMRPG. Not just nostalgia; I replayed SMRPG about six months ago and still feel this way :)

You and I always disagree on everything these days, Fynn! :crying2: You might have to take a place alongside Wolf Kanno as being my videogame opposite.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-21-2015, 01:42 PM

Super Mario RPG

Super Mario RPG is well Mario in an RPG. Bowser's castle was taken over or whatever and the Princess is missing and Mario gains some allies from the series and such.

I'd heard a lot about this game and had people recommending it left and right. Sharky is a big fan of the game and was super pumped for me to play. Sadly, I was not as impressed with it as many people are. I guess it isn't that unexpected, I was never a huge Mario fan anyways. I've played a few, and while some of it is fun, overall I much prefer other games. I'd say my favourites are Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. Happily, I was overjoyed to played this gem. It's one of the finest RPGs made, and a rare blending of Nintendo quality and 90's era Square brilliance.

But anyways, a lot of why I didn't like this game is because I found it very difficult to play. I may have mentioned before that I don't have much experience playing SNES games and a lot of the controls confused me. I was always mixing up commands. Don't even get me started on jumping. Add that to the fact that I wasn't super invested in the story or characters. I loved this game so much, was because of the great controls/game system. The SNES had probably the best game pad of the era. Also the story and characters were fun and engaging. Mario and Bowser working together certainly added a twist, and it was the first time Princess Toadstool got to be more than just a plot device. She was a playable character.

But tThis game rightfully receives a lot of praise. It can be fun if you enjoy the gameplay, and it has some mini-game type things. to break up the monotony of it. The world is interesting. I'd say its best quality is the sense of humour. There were some really funny moments that had me laughing out loud. So if you're a fan of Mario and RPG's, this should definitely be worth checking out. everything it did, because it did them perfectly.

FIXED THIS FOR YOU. :stare:

Fynn
01-21-2015, 02:01 PM
While I think SMRPG is a fine game, I really never got the hype. The Mario and Luigi RPGs are just miles better, IMO.

Having played both I have to disagree; the Mario and Luigi games were great but I felt like they were missing the character and heart of SMRPG. Not just nostalgia; I replayed SMRPG about six months ago and still feel this way :)

You and I always disagree on everything these days, Fynn! :crying2: You might have to take a place alongside Wolf Kanno as being my videogame opposite.

:colbert:

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Super Mario RPG

I'd heard a lot about this game and had people recommending it left and right. Sharky is a big fan of the game and was super pumped for me to play. Sadly, I was not as impressed with it as many people are. I guess it isn't that unexpected, I was never a huge Mario fan anyways. I've played a few, and while some of it is fun, overall I much prefer other games. I'd say my favourites are Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. Happily, I was overjoyed to played this gem. It's one of the finest RPGs made, and a rare blending of Nintendo quality and 90's era Square brilliance.

But anyways, a lot of why I didn't like this game is because I found it very difficult to play. I may have mentioned before that I don't have much experience playing SNES games and a lot of the controls confused me. I was always mixing up commands. Don't even get me started on jumping. Add that to the fact that I wasn't super invested in the story or characters. I loved this game so much, was because of the great controls/game system. The SNES had probably the best game pad of the era. Also the story and characters were fun and engaging. Mario and Bowser working together certainly added a twist, and it was the first time Princess Toadstool got to be more than just a plot device. She was a playable character.

But tThis game rightfully receives a lot of praise. It can be fun if you enjoy the gameplay, and it has some mini-game type things. to break up the monotony of it. The world is interesting. I'd say its best quality is the sense of humour. There were some really funny moments that had me laughing out loud. So if you're a fan of Mario and RPG's, this should definitely be worth checking out. everything it did, because it did them perfectly.

You can always write your own review, you know

Fynn
01-21-2015, 03:42 PM

Super Mario RPG

You can always write your own review, you know

FIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHT!!!!

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 03:46 PM
This is how we break up

At least this game has a lot of discussion. The next one on my list will have been played by nobody

Oh I can do that clue thing you guys do!
I have 2 PSP games left on the list
Another Final Fantasy
Another game in a series I've already mentioned
Two games I tried just this month
(At least) Two games that are probably going to make Fynn not want to be my friend anymore and another one that's going to make sharky angry at me
A game that is considered the best in its series but I just couldn't get in to it
And some others

Fynn
01-21-2015, 03:49 PM
(At least) Two games that are probably going to make Fynn not want to be my friend anymore and another one that's going to make sharky angry at me

/implying we're still friends

lol adorable :exdee:

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 03:50 PM
:(

Rez09
01-21-2015, 03:56 PM
One isn't Yggdra Union, is it? :(

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 03:57 PM
I've never heard of that game so I think you're safe :monster:

Fynn
01-21-2015, 03:58 PM
:(

OMG, I'm so sorry! :G

Here :soothe:

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 04:00 PM
ur not my frend anymor :G

Fynn
01-21-2015, 04:06 PM
ur not my frend anymor :G

:onoes:

Rez09
01-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Hmmmm, is one of them another Mana game? :o

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Maybe :shifty:

sharkythesharkdogg
01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
How could you not like that game?!?!? I can't even look at you right now.

http://i1.wp.com/paperfury.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/tumblr_mcm9bzbsc81rsumdc.gif

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
ugh this again

sharkythesharkdogg
01-21-2015, 04:22 PM
I know what game is coming guys. Go ahead and stuff your rags in your bottles of gasoline, and I'll start tracking down some pitchforks.

Rez09
01-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Is it Dawn of Mana? :o

Fynn
01-21-2015, 04:25 PM
ITS SECRET OF MANA!!!!!!!

sharkythesharkdogg
01-21-2015, 04:27 PM
It's Secret Dawn of BE PATIENT!!! :p

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 04:34 PM
I don't even think he's played either of those games

sharkythesharkdogg
01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
I must be thinking of another game she doesn't like. :eek:

Rez09
01-21-2015, 04:39 PM
What if it's Seiken Densetsu 3? D:

Colonel Angus
01-21-2015, 10:25 PM
chrono cross?

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Chrono Cross is already on the list silly

Colonel Angus
01-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Chrono Cross is already on the list silly
I wasn't sure, but I didn't want to come across that heartbreaking smrpg post again to confirm. :(

Ayen
01-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Is it a game that you played and didn't like as much?

Wolf Kanno
01-21-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure the FF game might be VII.

Ayen
01-21-2015, 11:30 PM

You boarded up all the doors and windows, yes?

Colonel Angus
01-21-2015, 11:30 PM
that or mystic quest or ffvi

Pumpkin
01-21-2015, 11:43 PM
It's a spin off

Colonel Angus
01-21-2015, 11:47 PM
It's a spin off
LR

nailed it! :score:

Polnareff
01-21-2015, 11:51 PM
I thought SMRPG was just all right, myself. Best part was Mario, Peach, and Bowser teaming up in what had to be the most WTF thing I'd ever seen as a kid.

The M&L series, at least Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, blow this game away IMO

Ayen
01-21-2015, 11:56 PM
M&L gets automatic points for actually including Luigi. Something SMRPG wouldn't do, and then Paper Mario had the balls to include Luigi but not let you add him to your party. That's some bulltrout! *flips table*

Pumpkin
01-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Now for a much less popular and much less controversial game

Also if I can just add a little side note. As I said, none of the games on this list are bad games, its just personal preference. I appreciate that you guys were just teasing, which is fine, but after it happens over and over again it begins to feel less like teasing and more like being jumped on. I'm not mad or angry at anyone, just something to keep in mind to help the discussion stay pleasant and positive. Thank you :)

Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley

Now I like me some Harvest Moon games. They have the awesome dating sim aspect but without the umm adult stuff that I don't want in a dating sim. The characters are cute, the atmosphere is lighthearted, the games are easy but still very fun, and they're good relaxing games. I played this one in the hopes it would be the same.

Sadly this game was a bit of a disappointment. It took a few steps back in terms of gameplay, the controls were weird, the quests were hard to trigger and not very clear, the town was way too spaced apart so it took a lot of time doing the rounds, and you start off with less than usual. Also the load times are atrocious. And this game showed such promise because it had the most bachelorettes of any HM game that I wanted to get to know more

But that doesn't mean other fans of the series won't enjoy it. They might like not having as much hand holding and more independence. Lyla, second from the left in the above picture, is still one of my favourite bachelorettes from any of the games, and it has a lot of interesting characters. So if you're a fan of the Harvest Moon games, it might be worth checking out

Polnareff
01-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Don't worry, Pumpkin, I've actually mostly been agreeing with you.

I have never played that particular HM game, though.

Pumpkin
01-22-2015, 04:03 PM
People are welcome to disagree all they want. Teasing is fine too. Just don't tease too hard :p

sharkythesharkdogg
01-22-2015, 04:35 PM
I guess I'll put away my nail file.

For the record, Pumpkin likes some pretty hard games, so when she says it's difficult chances are the game has at least one difficulty setting that will challenge you if you're into that kind of game.

Pumpkin
01-22-2015, 04:37 PM
I do seem to be weird about difficulty. Some stuff that others breeze through I'll be stuck on forever but other stuff people have a hard time with I never did. Like the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. I beat it when I was like 7 without even trying and I never realized it was supposed to be difficult until a lot of people were complaining about it

Everyone has their skills I guess :monster:

Pumpkin
01-23-2015, 06:09 AM
Next on the list

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts is about a boy named Sora who has his life turned upside down when his island is attacked by weird and sometimes cute monsters called the Heartless. He also finds out he can wield the Keyblade, which is like a key and also a blade. There's some other stuff but I don't want to give it all away for those who haven't played. It features both Disney and Final Fantasy characters.

http://khff-videos.weebly.com/uploads/3/1/7/9/3179734/1334936_orig.jpg

Oh my adventures with the original Kingdom Hearts. I first tried it many years ago because, well FF characters and Disney, am I right? But I was just renting it and barely made it past Destiny Island (like the first scenes beyond that and nothing more) before it needed to be returned. Then I went on to buy and play Kingdom Hearts II, which I absolutely adored, so I figured it was time to give this one a shot again. Luckily sharky owned it! How fortunate! I was so looking forward to visiting new worlds! Load up the game, get ready! Okay, get past this Destiny Island thing again. Man this is longer than I remember. Can I go to other worlds yet? No? Okay play some more. Uh huh. Okay finally. FINALLY it is time to go to new worlds, just beat that first boss and wait what

what

THE GAME IS FROZEN

Start again. And again. Clean the disc. Start again. Cry. THE GAME WILL NOT MOVE PAST THAT SCENE. I CANNOT LEAVE DESTINY ISLAND.

Ugh

Oh look, 1.5 is out and it has the original Kingdom Hearts, let's buy it an try again. Alright, finally.

Well if you think the story gets better there, it doesn't. It took me like 10 years to get past that Destiny Island. I was pumped. I was ready. But I was disappointed. I don't even know why. I just didn't feel the same magic as I did with the second game. I loved exploring new worlds in the second game. The outfit changes to suit the movies they were from, the different command box even. It was all so magical, it was such an experience. This time I just... felt let down. But I honestly couldn't tell you why.

Maybe I'd just lost patience or something. I didn't even make it that far before I just... didn't want to play anymore. But this is all personal taste and I couldn't honestly give you good reasons why I didn't like it as much. So for those of you who are Final Fantasy and Disney fans, this game is worth checking out. There are many worlds to explore, an interesting story, some great scenes that really set the tone, and a likeable, sometimes goofy protagonist. Also Goofy

Ayen
01-23-2015, 06:18 AM
The game froze when you finally got past all the stuff at the start?

I think Kingdom Hearts hates you.

Pumpkin
01-23-2015, 06:21 AM
Seriously. It kept me trapped on that stupid island, mocking me

Ayen
01-23-2015, 06:23 AM
LET PUMPKIN GO!

Rez09
01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Next on the list

Kingdom Hearts

http://media.giphy.com/media/FjeGBljESVAzu/giphy.gif

I borrowed this game from a friend after he beat it, everyone told me it was amazing, I played until Hollow Bastion, annnnd . . . I didn't enjoy a minute of it. Well, actually, I had a lot of fun with gummi ships, but I don't think that's supposed to count. ^^; I did not enjoy the combat, I hated virtually every world, and I didn't remotely care about the story or characters.

Then I bought the HD version with my PS3, because everyone still loves the game and I must have been wrong. Won't lie, (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/932632-ar-tonelico-melody-of-elemia/faqs) it has (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/638786-borderlands-2)happened before. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii)

Turns out, I still dislike it. So I bought Front Mission 3 on PSN instead and that was the first game I beat on my PS3. >.>

Pumpkin
01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Aww :(

Fynn
01-23-2015, 04:54 PM
While the first game is a bit lacking and empty in some areas, I still think it has the best atmosphere. That Hollow Bastion portion was amazing :monster:

Rez09
01-23-2015, 05:08 PM
I didn't get that far in my second attempt at the game (I stopped around Halloween Town, I believe), so I didn't get a second chance to evaluate it. I may have liked it more the second time around. :)

sharkythesharkdogg
01-23-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm sure if I went back and played it, it would come across as a bit stale, but I really liked the worlds and the music.

Wonderland
Monstro
Halloween Town
Deep Jungle
100 Acre Woods
Atlantica

Of course, to be fair, even the first time I played it I got to the final boss and kept dying. So I never actually beat it. I'm sure if it was good enough I would have been motivated to stick with it, but by the end, I'd already got to visit all the cool places I was interested in as is. It was good for it's time.

Polnareff
01-23-2015, 09:20 PM
I loved KH back then, at least for the FF involvement, and (for me) it basically being a 3D Mana game. :monster:

Now I can barely stomach it.

The funny thing is, everyone I knew who got the game when it first came out 13 years ago got stuck in the Deep Jungle, except for me. I ended up beating the game overnight. I had to show a few people how to beat that part of the game. ^^;

Did the same thing with the second game too. Beat it overnight and returned it to the friend I'd borrowed it from.

Pumpkin
01-26-2015, 03:54 AM
I'll be doing these every 2 days from now on

Next up

Suikoden Tierkreis

Suikoden Tierkreis is about... I don't even remember, honestly. Something about multiple universes or something. I think you still need to recruit 108 people. Other than that, it's pretty different from other Suikoden games.

http://img4.meristation.com/files/imagenes/juegos/ds/rpg/suikoden_tierkreis/suiko_2006_0.jpg?1322831770

This is probably one of the longest times I've played a game that I didn't really like. I gave it a big shot because it was a Suikoden game and honestly the gameplay wasn't that bad. But beyond that it does nothing extraordinary to me. The story is obviously forgettable, as are the characters which is a big nono for me.

If you played the main series Suikoden games and you're looking for another one to play... I'm sorry to say this will be quite the disappointment. It has very very little in common with the main Suikoden games, it doesn't have the same charm or feel, and it's just nowhere near as fun. I know, it's disappointing. We wanted a sequel and we get... this instead. The game isn't horrible, it's just pretty forgettable and isn't really a Suikoden game in much else besides the name.

But the gameplay is fun enough, there are tons of characters if you like that, and the story while it's happening isn't terrible (its just easy to forget). So if you go in without expecting another Suikoden game, this could be worth your time and might turn out to be a lot of fun.

http://1.im6.fr/-19236-photo-crop-p0d4fb1624b00dd0cc6f3d46200f2634c-suikoden-tierkreis.jpg?options=eNoryywqKU3N0TW0NDI2AwAitwQ%2B&width=608&height=341

Ayen
01-26-2015, 04:06 AM
Never played.

Wolf Kanno
01-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the Suikoden games after Suikoden V just took the concept of the 108 stars and dropped all the other elements that made the series interesting. Granted the PSP entry did sound promising though like Tiekerisis it has nothing to do with the main series and was Japan only.

Rez09
01-30-2015, 07:39 PM
This is probably one of the longest times I've played a game that I didn't really like. I gave it a big shot because it was a Suikoden game and honestly the gameplay wasn't that bad. But beyond that it does nothing extraordinary to me. The story is obviously forgettable, as are the characters which is a big nono for me.

I feel you here, as I spent a ton of time in this game across multiple playthroughs trying to enjoy it. I liked ONE character, Chrodechild, out of the entire cast, and I didn't care about what was going on in the least -- something about invaders coming through the corridor between worlds as I recall. I'm hard pressed to find anything redeeming about the entry, which I expected would at least flesh out the Suikoden mythology or something. :(

Egami
01-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Re Chrono Cross: Agree very much with what you said specially about the combat; the game also has probably the most annoying battle theme in any RPG:

cRkqWdE_Nd0

Damn...it is like Mitsuda was going out of his way to troll the player :erm: