PDA

View Full Version : Bravery and Courage

Madame Adequate
01-13-2015, 09:26 PM
No, not the name of Squenix's next Final Fantasy In All But Name Bravely series, but a topic of discussion on Internet discussion board Eyes on Final Fantasy Dot Com.

Do you draw a distinction between bravery and courage? Do they mean the same thing to you? For some reason I've always construed them as having different implications;

Bravery - Refers to not feeling fear in a situation that normally would cause it
Courage - Refers to feeling fear, but overcoming it

I know that there's no real basis for this distinction and they are synonyms, but I'm curious about whether anyone else has similar approaches to any pairs or groups of words. And how you refer to those two different ideas if bravery and courage mean the same to you.

Del Murder
01-13-2015, 09:30 PM
I feel like bravery is a little broader and includes acts that may have been otherwise foolish, while courage has a little more wisdom behind it.

Rin Heartilly
01-15-2015, 10:08 AM
To me, bravely is like a feat made possible by certain people, whereas courage is something like a trait that is instilled in certain people.

Polnareff
01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
For a second, I thought this was a thread about my fists (which are named, oddly enough, "Bravery" and "Courage.")

What a shame. :colbert:

Quindiana Jones
01-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I have never thought about this, but now you've brought it up, I can't stop thinking about it.

Shlup
01-15-2015, 09:46 PM
I feel like bravery is a little broader and includes acts that may have been otherwise foolish, while courage has a little more wisdom behind it.

I was trying to think of a way to say this, but you said it much better.

Though the definitions seem to be opposite in Westeros.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u3yUxADwQxo/UWc3kF47SLI/AAAAAAAAA0M/_G0TZ-zlg8A/s1600/WFM-5.png

Ayen
01-15-2015, 10:46 PM

What Del said. I always liked the way The Rock said it in Reno 911.

Sephex
01-16-2015, 03:29 AM
No idiots, Courage was a dog on the Cartoon Network.

And Hux just made up the word "Bravery." Trolled again!

Pheesh
01-16-2015, 05:37 AM
All I know is that only one of them gets overused by AFL commentators, " Abblet, head down! Oh, runs in with a lot of courage!! You bloody bloomin' ripper! A truly courageous play on the ball."

Old Manus
01-16-2015, 09:24 AM

And Hux just made up the word "Bravery." Trolled again!So brave.

Sephex
01-16-2015, 09:35 AM

And Hux just made up the word "Bravery." Trolled again!So brave.

Like=1 Respect Share=1000 Prayers

Shiny
01-17-2015, 06:45 AM
Ok so Bravery = rock band
Courage = cowardly dog