PDA

View Full Version : A question for fighting game fans.

Rez09
01-15-2015, 09:23 AM
How do you feel about 'simple' control schemes? By this I mean systems that offer to map specials/supers/combos to a single button or analog direction. I remember CvS2: EO coming out and a lot of people complaining about the addition, as potentially messing up a shoryuken and leaving yourself open or dropping a combo due to a slow input are both part of the game and come down to player skill. What are your thoughts?

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2015, 09:42 AM
I don't mind them too much on games that use a full six buttons, simply because I'm too cheap to buy an arcade stick and trying to pull off supers that require pressing three buttons at the same time even on a PlayStation controller is just a nightmare for my hands. So occasionally, especially if I'm dealing with high skill players, I'll map the buttons on something like Street Fighter IV because pulling off Ryu's Ultra as a combo finisher is a pain in the ass without it. If it was tournament fighting, I'd probably just opt to use an arcade stick.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-15-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm kinda the same as Wolf Canoe.

I could basically pull off all of King's chain throws consistently (yes, I know they're largely useless), but doing it on the control pad was really tough and took a lot of practice. I eventually just said screw it and mapped a lot of button inputs into the shoulder buttons.

If it were on an arcade stick, I'd say pre-programmed buttons are pretty lame over all. I'm sure there's exceptions, but as a general rule of thumb.

Polnareff
01-15-2015, 06:34 PM
A lot of people in the fighting game community would disagree, but I noticed that it really doesn't make a difference. Pros will still stomp noobs.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and its upgrade had a very simple control scheme: three attack buttons and a launcher. This is different from what you are talking about, but it still doesn't stop Justin Wong or somebody from utterly destroying other players.

Games like Persona 4 Ultimax, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Blazblue have offered what you are talking about, and there are limitations involved in such a thing, too. Like....not being able to use certain attacks or certain functions of the gameplay engines. This balances things out and still will not let a newer player who's been playing all of 5 minutes beat a more skilled player.

CvS2 EO (EO is for Easy Operation) is a bit different in that the gameplay functions weren't limited as far as I can tell, but still, any decent player can beat someone who is using EO. The people who were complaining back then only did so because the game was still fairly new at the time, and plus, most tourney players didn't really delve into CvS2, anyway.

Ayen
01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
They're great. I love simple.

Karifean
01-15-2015, 07:29 PM
I hate when I have to fight against the controls. Simple is great. Though please, please don't restrict the moveset if you're gonna make a simple mode, otherwise that completely defeats the point.