PDA

View Full Version : A good recommendation for gaming Headset.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 01:39 AM
So I want to get myself a gaming headset. Which has a pretty good sound and the price pretty much acceptable, around $100 or less.

Anyone have any good recommendation?

I'm currently try to go between Kingston HyperX Cloud or Audio Technica ( I forgot which version) the one from LinusTechTips.
Also Sennheiser, but the price for a pretty much decent sound is more than $100.

Also should I get Soundcard for the gaming headset? Or just standard audio is good enough?

Spuuky
01-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Do you need a microphone?

Game audio quality is typically not going to be any different with good headphones or average ones.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 04:12 AM
Do you need a microphone?

Game audio quality is typically not going to be any different with good headphones or average ones.
I'm not quite sure, but I think I'll need microphone for MMO games.

So, there won't be any different in audio if I choose Sennheiser PC350, rather than Kingston HyperX Cloud?

Also, do I need to buy Soundcard to use the Headset?

Spuuky
01-18-2015, 04:22 AM
I have not seen a PC in a long time that did not have onboard sound. There is no reason to buy a separate sound card in 99.9% of cases.

I don't have much of a recommendation for headsets with mics. But I'm happy with my Audiotechnica headset without one.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 04:32 AM
I have not seen a PC in a long time that did not have onboard sound. There is no reason to buy a separate sound card in 99.9% of cases.

I don't have much of a recommendation for headsets with mics. But I'm happy with my Audiotechnica headset without one.
Eh? you mean that my built up PC, it should come with the soundcard aswell? Does that mean I got trick by the seller?

Which Audio Techinca you have?

I kinda need mic because it would be easier to talk rather than to write when in combat or something like that, in MMO and CO-OP supported games.

Spuuky
01-18-2015, 05:24 AM
The vast majority of motherboards have onboard sound. Do you have an audio jack for speakers on the back of your PC? If you do, you don't need a sound card.

Mine are the ATH-M50S.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 05:41 AM
The vast majority of motherboards have onboard sound. Do you have an audio jack for speakers on the back of your PC? If you do, you don't need a sound card.

Mine are the ATH-M50S.
For speaker audio, yes, it have audio jack, on the motherboard.
So I don't need soundcard then?
But what does soundcard actually do for audio? is it just for better sound? I'm completely confused, whether I should get SoundCard or not.

I just search for the review, it's price around $150?

And yet Kingston HyperX Cloud is less than $100, I think I'm gonna look for some video review for ATH-M50S and going to compare it to HyperX Cloud.

Spuuky
01-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Yes, the one I have is above your price. However, the 30 instead of the 50 seems like a popular option also. It is much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8

You don't need a sound card.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Yes, the one I have is above your price. However, the 30 instead of the 50 seems like a popular option also. It is much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8

You don't need a sound card.
Yeah it's a lot more cheaper, but it still doesn't come with mic, at that price, I mean compare to HyperX. But I'll definitely compare it to others.

Ok thanks Spuuky :)

Mirage
01-18-2015, 08:44 PM
If you're going to buy a headset specifically for gaming, I personally only think of ones that also have microphones. If you don't need a microphone, then any pair of headphones that are good for music will probably also be good for games.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 09:01 PM
If you're going to buy a headset specifically for gaming, I personally only think of ones that also have microphones. If you don't need a microphone, then any pair of headphones that are good for music will probably also be good for games.
Yeah, kinda need the mic, just for MMO, and CO-OP supported games. I have a mixed feeling for HyperX Cloud, or SennHeiser PC350 (which pretty much affordable) and the audio technica ATH-AG1 but the price well, expensive.

Mirage
01-18-2015, 09:25 PM
The sound quality will usually be good enough no matter what you pick. The microphone is where some headsets fail, I think. Get one that doesn't let in a lot of noise from your surroundings.

DanielCLFFF13
01-18-2015, 09:29 PM
The sound quality will usually be good enough no matter what you pick. The microphone is where some headsets fail, I think. Get one that doesn't let in a lot of noise from your surroundings.
So the closed headset would be best then? Okay
Thanks Mirage :)

Quindiana Jones
01-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Hello, I highly recommend not forking over bajillions for the super classy gaming headsets and whatnot if you're only after a mic. I'd suggest looking at microphones that are compatible with games and just use them. Will almost certainly be cheaper than a quality headset, and will often have better sound quality besides. Also, you don't have to worry about mouthbreathing through the mic when it's not hanging on your lips!

Just something to look into. :)

escobert
01-19-2015, 12:17 PM
I personally needed a soundcard for my speakers but, you shouldn't for headphones.

I use these http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G230-Stereo-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00BFOEY4I

Psychotic
01-19-2015, 12:25 PM
I use the Turtle Beach Z11 and really can't fault it. The audio quality is great and you really feel the bass with it. The mic quality isn't as good as you'd get from a condenser microphone, but for gaming you don't really want to be using a condenser anyway. If you've seen the L4D2 videos that's the one I'm using in those. The price of that also comes nowhere near hitting your budget.
The sound quality will usually be good enough no matter what you pick. The microphone is where some headsets fail, I think. Get one that doesn't let in a lot of noise from your surroundings.You can always change the microphone sensitivity.

Mirage
01-19-2015, 04:58 PM

No. "closed headset" refers to the speaker elements in them, not the microphone.

@quin Idk about you but I find it really annoying to have to keep track of where my face is in relation to the microphone. It's just a lot more convenient to always have the mic at the exact same position. If you're worried about mouthbreathing, there is usually a feature where you have to push a button to activate the mic.

@psy Changing the sensitivity won't change the microphone characteristics. If you have one that picks up the same amount of sound from every direction, it will still do so with a lower sensitivity. Ideally, you want one that almost only picks up sound from the direction where your mouth is.

DanielCLFFF13
01-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Hello, I highly recommend not forking over bajillions for the super classy gaming headsets and whatnot if you're only after a mic. I'd suggest looking at microphones that are compatible with games and just use them. Will almost certainly be cheaper than a quality headset, and will often have better sound quality besides. Also, you don't have to worry about mouthbreathing through the mic when it's not hanging on your lips!

Just something to look into. :)
Well yeah, want to search something more cheaper, but with decent sound or audio quality, I don't know which one. But my interest goes to the HyperX Cloud not too expensive, but not too cheap either. Sennheiser PC350, a bit more expensive, but has that noise cancellation feature. Audio Technica ATH-AG1 extremely expensive, the feature, I don't really know, but better looking :D

But thanks Quin :)

I personally needed a soundcard for my speakers but, you shouldn't for headphones.

I use these http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G230-Stereo-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00BFOEY4I
It looks pretty cool too. And a lot more cheaper than HyperX Cloud. I'm gonna look up for it's video review.
Thanks escobert :)

I use the Turtle Beach Z11 and really can't fault it. The audio quality is great and you really feel the bass with it. The mic quality isn't as good as you'd get from a condenser microphone, but for gaming you don't really want to be using a condenser anyway. If you've seen the L4D2 videos that's the one I'm using in those. The price of that also comes nowhere near hitting your budget.
The sound quality will usually be good enough no matter what you pick. The microphone is where some headsets fail, I think. Get one that doesn't let in a lot of noise from your surroundings.You can always change the microphone sensitivity.
The Turtle Beach is a lot lot more cheaper than HyperX Cloud. Yeah, it will totally save me some money if I get that.
Thanks Psychotic :)

No. "closed headset" refers to the speaker elements in them, not the microphone.
something like the noise cancellation, is it?

escobert
01-21-2015, 01:34 AM
I'll tell you the logitech set I showed you is worth the price. I've always gone with cheaper headsets and finally gave in and got these. And I paid $20 more than what they want now. They are very comfortable, the sound is decent, mic seems to work fine and I don't have issues with it picking up TV shows playing on my laptop right next to me. The cord is threaded so it's good and sturdy. Again, definitely worth the money.

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2015, 02:13 AM
I'll also say that I bought Turtle Beach ...something or other... X11? I don't know the name. But yeah, great quality headphones, and very decent mic.