PDA

View Full Version : Swords and Guns in the FFverse

Lazerface
01-19-2015, 01:40 AM
Going off of FFVII and X. How are swords more powerful than guns? I'd ask the same about the Devil May Cryverse too. Because in that game using Alastor or Rebellion is way stronger than using Ebony and Ivory. And in FFVII Cloud's Ultima weapon is far better than Death Penalty Vincent's ultimate weapon. I know with swords your putting your strength of your own body into the weapon by treating it like a extension of one's self but in reality guns are far more powerful, though their strength is limited by the size of the bullet and the amount of gunpowder and the speed it's launched off at. But now is that strong to use a sword far more powerful than a bullet right? I mean if I were a magic based character I could infuse Fira or Thundara in the ammunition I use for my gun. I want to know why are swords more powerful and not guns? Opinions on this and if you think it's right?

Colonel Angus
01-19-2015, 02:12 AM
It's the same in FFXII. Guns aren't as strong as swords, but for guns enemy defense isn't taken into consideration nor do they miss.

Ayen
01-19-2015, 03:22 AM
The people behind those games have a hard on for swords? I dunno.

Wolf Kanno
01-19-2015, 03:38 AM
One of the amusing things here is that Missing Score and Death Penalty are the only weapons in VII that can perform the Overflow Glitch and are thus the two most overpowered Ultimate Weapons in the game, though the amount of effort it takes to get to that point without cheating is considered not worth it since VII isn't exactly the hardest game in the series.

Guns work weird in the FF series. Gameplay-wise they have to condone to stats rules and balancing whereas in story mode they are often treated more realistically. My guess for the damage difference may be based on the principles of potential damage. If a gun doesn't hit a vital spot and instantly kill the enemy, it technically hasn't caused as much damage whereas a sword can still cause substantial damage even if it doesn't necessarily strike a non-vital area. It's not helped that realistically, most people are not sharp shooters nor are all guns designed on the principle of accurate shooting.

For the most part, I feel it's simply wonky mechanics for the game. It doesn't help that swords sort of have a more romantic notion to them and the idea of winning a fight against a gun with just a sword gives said character more badass points.

Colonel Angus
01-19-2015, 04:07 AM
If Squeenix would hire more rednecks, everyone would have a gun.

Lazerface
01-19-2015, 04:08 AM
One of the amusing things here is that Missing Score and Death Penalty are the only weapons in VII that can perform the Overflow Glitch and are thus the two most overpowered Ultimate Weapons in the game, though the amount of effort it takes to get to that point without cheating is considered not worth it since VII isn't exactly the hardest game in the series.

Guns work weird in the FF series. Gameplay-wise they have to condone to stats rules and balancing whereas in story mode they are often treated more realistically. My guess for the damage difference may be based on the principles of potential damage. If a gun doesn't hit a vital spot and instantly kill the enemy, it technically hasn't caused as much damage whereas a sword can still cause substantial damage even if it doesn't necessarily strike a non-vital area. It's not helped that realistically, most people are not sharp shooters nor are all guns designed on the principle of accurate shooting.

For the most part, I feel it's simply wonky mechanics for the game. It doesn't help that swords sort of have a more romantic notion to them and the idea of winning a fight against a gun with just a sword gives said character more badass points.
Yeah, but look at Vincent Valentine. Badass and uses a gun. Or shall I say guns? And then Dante but he uses a combo of both. But I will say a .50 cal will mess any enemy up far worse than Ultima weapon or any other sword in some of the games. Bring a 20mm infused with Firaga to the fray and ExDeath will be like "What the hell was that?" Yeah I see your point though, but a bullet burrows far deeper than a lot of people know and generates a shockwave upon entry that can cause massive trauma to the area of entry and where it stops. It has the potential to really blow one apart from the inside. Destroy organs and arteries and pulverize bones when momentum meets friction. So in reality bullets don't tear you apart from the outside but from within and leave bleeding. Now all they have to do is make a Gunslinger job in FFV, XI, or XIV and I'd be happy Clint Eastwooding everyone I see. lol :D Yeah there's some romanticism in swords. But have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark? Remember when that dude with the sword got shot by Indy? A wise man once said- "Anyone who brings a sword to a gun fight is either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid".

Wolf Kanno
01-19-2015, 05:44 AM
I'd say you should read Berserk and see what I mean about being hit with a sword like the Buster Sword is going to cause some untold carnage to the opponent. Even if Cloud missed a vital area, unless he completely missed or whiffed it and only knicked the guy, the sword would pretty much cripple the opponent and makes sure the next strike would be fatal. Guns certainly have range and the piercing element pretty much makes armor useless whereas it could be used to deflect a sword blow, but by no means is a sword less effective in killing/maiming an opponent than a gun. Range and ease of use is the biggest difference between their effectiveness.

Yes, I agree that guns should be just as good as swords but honestly they are pretty good in the FF series. Guns are brutal in the FFTactics series and min-max allows guns in VII, VIII, and XIII to be good weapons as well. It's more of an issue of balancing. As for Dante, he is trying to use human world guns on demons, I would assume the magic demons crafted weapons would be more effective weapons against them.

Sephex
01-19-2015, 06:18 AM
I personally think that using a melee weapon in am RPG is more interesting than using a projectile weapon (at least in a game that is FF or FF-like). I think the people behind the games feel that way, as well.

Also, use swords and such is more traditional for RPGs.

Lazerface
01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
I'd say you should read Berserk and see what I mean about being hit with a sword like the Buster Sword is going to cause some untold carnage to the opponent. Even if Cloud missed a vital area, unless he completely missed or whiffed it and only knicked the guy, the sword would pretty much cripple the opponent and makes sure the next strike would be fatal. Guns certainly have range and the piercing element pretty much makes armor useless whereas it could be used to deflect a sword blow, but by no means is a sword less effective in killing/maiming an opponent than a gun. Range and ease of use is the biggest difference between their effectiveness.

Yes, I agree that guns should be just as good as swords but honestly they are pretty good in the FF series. Guns are brutal in the FFTactics series and min-max allows guns in VII, VIII, and XIII to be good weapons as well. It's more of an issue of balancing. As for Dante, he is trying to use human world guns on demons, I would assume the magic demons crafted weapons would be more effective weapons against them.
Huh? Interesting, you said I should read Berserk? Is that a manga? I see your point, their both equal in a lot of ways. But I only say guns though because their modern and more up to date. But I've only played through a small bit of Tactics. Tell me about guns in Tactics. But as for the killing blows. Swords cut through the vital areas, bullets blow them to smithereens. I think guns are available to machinists in Tactics.

Lazerface
01-21-2015, 05:23 PM
But I will admit, I like a good blade as much as I like a good gun. But I will say in FFVII when you get Vincent's ultimate weapon death penalty a glitch happens that when you kill 20,000 enemies with it it'll kill Ruby and Emerald weapon in one shot. Well there's guns for you in the FF verse.