PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XV difficult to complete in under 40/Episode Duscae Demo News

Colonel Angus
01-20-2015, 12:47 AM

In a recent interview with Kotaku, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata stated that the Final Fantasy XV world will be large and deep. "Originally, we were aiming so that the entire [FFXV] story could potentially be cleared within 40 hours," said Tabata. "But looking at the current volume of what's becoming available, it's looking harder and harder to clear within that time."

He stated that the production team is trying to gauge the length of the entire game and try to "work around it", as it may be too much for players to bear. Originally Duscae (where the demo will take place) was to be 1/5 of the whole world's size. However, it's grown much larger than the development team has anticipated, and for it to retain that ratio, the world would be too large to properly explore.

62130Another note on Duscae, the demo, Episode Duscae, which will be released along with the Day One Edition of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, will not take part during any of the game's main quest. "Unfortunately with this particular demo, we're avoiding having players play through the main story," according to Tabata. "That said, it's not gonna be as simple as we're dropping you into this open world and you can do whatever you'd like to do."

The developers are trying to balance the fun factor and the playability of the demo, so it could stand on it's own. "That said, we are kinda taking a part of the game that's related to the main story to a certain extent," Tabata said. "It may feel a little bit unnatural, but we did kind of include portions that players would easily be able to provide feedback on."

All the cool kids will get Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and the Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae Demo on March 17th in the US, and all the squares will get it without the demo afterwards.

Special thanks to http://powerupgaming.co.uk/

Freya
01-20-2015, 01:38 AM
I'm kind of upset that I will be missing this but I just can't afford a PS4 right now :(

Colonel Angus
01-20-2015, 02:11 AM
You're not the only one. :-/ You could still buy the game, then later buy a PS4. :p

LocoColt04
01-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Fortunately, I don't think I'm really aiming to complete it in under 40 hours, so I should be just fine!

Though I'm totally excited for Type-0 for the game itself, not the demo.

Del Murder
01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I usually take longer than 40 to complete an RPG but that includes side activities. A main story for a RPG shouldn't be any longer than 30-40 or else it just drags on, so I hope it's closer to the 40 mark than further.

Colonel Angus
01-20-2015, 05:00 PM
IDK if I ever completed a post SNES FF in under 50 hours.

Sephiroth
01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Apparently speedrunners are not known in Japan.

Laddy
01-20-2015, 07:27 PM
An FF game clocking over 40 hours is a very good thing and considering the relative vastness of the world this does not surprise me.

I just hope those 40 or so hours are filled with worthwhile gameplay and an engaging story.

Depression Moon
01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
So they think the game might be too long now? The vastness of the world shouldn't be a problem for players as long as there is plenty of stuff to explore and not just plain land with nothing to do in it.

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2015, 12:52 AM
5 hours of story, 35 hours of getting to story. Calling it now.

Del Murder
01-21-2015, 03:19 AM
So they think the game might be too long now? The vastness of the world shouldn't be a problem for players as long as there is plenty of stuff to explore and not just plain land with nothing to do in it.
A valid concern based on the way SE has addressed these things in the last few years. 'You want an open world? We'll give you an entire WORLD of open roads that takes you REAL TIME to drive through! It will be the most openness open world that was ever opened!'

Loony BoB
01-21-2015, 01:49 PM
40 hours? Sounds fine by me.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-21-2015, 11:36 PM
I think a great RPG for me usually sits at a solid 60 to 70 hours including all the side quests. Some have taken 90 to 100 though, but those were in games where I did literally everything including talking to every NPC.

Colonel Angus
01-22-2015, 12:14 AM
I think I clocked over 125 hrs. on my first XII playthrough.

Ayen
01-22-2015, 12:24 AM
I understand their concern if they're looking to attract the average person who doesn't like to spend hours on games, but I think they're also underestimating the groups who sits through long open-world games like Skyrim just a tad bit. I don't think those people are going to bat an eyelash at 40 hours, unless there isn't anything to engage you in said open-world, which I feel is a valid concern moving forward. Whenever they get a complaint about linearity or worlds being too open they go so far in the other direction it's ridiculous. It's like they can't find a middle ground, which is sad when you take into consideration everything X-2 did.

Galuf
01-22-2015, 10:01 AM
40 hours !!! thats way too long. it should last 5 minutes then have 40 hours worth of sidequests

Loony BoB
01-22-2015, 03:38 PM
I understand their concern if they're looking to attract the average person who doesn't like to spend hours on games, but I think they're also underestimating the groups who sits through long open-world games like Skyrim just a tad bit. I don't think those people are going to bat an eyelash at 40 hours, unless there isn't anything to engage you in said open-world, which I feel is a valid concern moving forward. Whenever they get a complaint about linearity or worlds being too open they go so far in the other direction it's ridiculous. It's like they can't find a middle ground, which is sad when you take into consideration everything X-2 did.
To be fair to SE, I believe they are meaning that the story will take about 40 hours, if you focus on that. I think 40 hours is reasonable for that. Hell, technically if you do this for FFVII you could finish within a few hours via speedrun tactics. Skyrim's speedruns are around 40 minutes.

metagloria
01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
More like Final Fantasy XV difficult to complete in under 10 years, AM I RIGHT SQUARE ENIX?

Egami
01-22-2015, 07:49 PM
To be fair to SE, I believe they are meaning that the story will take about 40 hours, if you focus on that. I think 40 hours is reasonable for that. Hell, technically if you do this for FFVII you could finish within a few hours via speedrun tactics. Skyrim's speedruns are around 40 minutes.

Yeah, I figured they meant the main quest would be around 40 hours on a first play through which is rather standard for FF titles I'd think. What is more important is how well this story plays out and how engaging it is. You can have a 10 hour long game that feels like a chore to play through due to terrible pacing and un-engaging content and you can have a 40 hour long game which feels the exact opposite. The content and how it is presented is the key.

As far as Skyrim goes, it's main quest is indeed short, but the real draw is the open massive world of the game and the sheer volume of content and things to do it has besides the main quest (even more so with the three DLCs they put out) and how you can basically role play in any way you want. Hell, my most recent character on it hasn't touched the main quest yet and I have played over 140 hours with it so far.

But I wouldn't want Final Fantasy turning into The Elder Scrolls or vice versa. While I would like to see both improve on areas where the other excels, I am not sure I'd like for them to shift their focus.

With FFXV, despite the massive shadow that I think the XIII saga has cast on FF as a whole, I am optimistic. The more I see about it the more I feel that this is the game they should have followed XII with (which despite it's flaws I felt was a step in the right direction) as opposed to what they did with XIII. I also find the overall cast (not just the main) intriguing and despite how little information we have I already find it more compelling than XIII's.

Will be interesting to see what we get with the upcoming demo.

Ayen
01-22-2015, 09:58 PM

Ohh. I get ya.